PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft Prospect: Festus Ezeli

Bruno
03-04-2012, 04:27 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/campus-rivalry/2011/10/17/ezelix-large.jpg
Height: 6-11
Weight: 255 lbs
Birthday: 10/21/1989
College: Vanderbilt

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Festus-Ezeli-5774/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/festus-ezeli)

SenorSpur
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
This is the guy that I secretly hope the Spurs target with their 1st round pick. Good size, strong, aggressive rebounder and shotblocker. Emerging post game.

Darkwaters
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Hes a guy I've looked at before as well. As a senior he won't be nearly as coveted as some other prospects with more "upside". Definitely worth a look.

yavozerb
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I do not want the spurs to draft a big late in the draft just to simply draft a big since that could be a need..I have no idea about this kid, but from the looks of him and his numbers in college I would say "no thanks"..I would much rather take players like Wroten, Joseph, or even q. miller before a low end big. Give me talent over a lesser player to fit a need anyday.

Darkwaters
03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
I agree that the Spurs need to draft BPA instead of for need. My thought it just that Ezeli might be one of the better picks up for their relative draft position when the time rolls around.

SenorSpur
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
The BPA strategy is one thing. However, continously stacking more players at a position that is already a strength is short-sighted. After all, the Spurs already have a former #1 draft pick (Amderson), who can barely see the court now. There's no sense in taking yet another wing player.

Just like the SF position before it, the PF position has also been ignored for a couple of years. It's time to fill that void. Hopefully the Spurs will be focusing on the best big that fits their team. I've also been watching this kid for a couple of seasons and I believe he could potentially fits that bill - on and off the court.

Unless something drastic happens to cause a surge in his draft stock, he may be available to them at the bottom of the first round.

yavozerb
03-09-2012, 07:51 PM
The BPA strategy is one thing. However, continously stacking more players at a position that is already a strength is short-sighted. After all, the Spurs already have a former #1 draft pick (Amderson), who can barely see the court now. There's no sense in taking yet another wing player.

Just like the SF position before it, the PF position has also been ignored for a couple of years. It's time to fill that void. Hopefully the Spurs will be focusing on the best big that fits their team. I've also been watching this kid for a couple of seasons and I believe he could potentially fits that bill - on and off the court.

Unless something drastic happens to cause a surge in his draft stock, he may be available to them at the bottom of the first round.

I disagree...If the spurs feel like a sg or sf is the best player on the board I would hope they go after that player instead of having to go middle of there big board to find a bid who is still left. This played to the spurs advantage with George Hill, the spurs simply moved a player from a position already stacked and almost landed a lottery pick. I plan on looking at some of these bigs when the season comes to an end so I am not sure what big fits the spurs system.

BackHome
03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
This would be a better first round pick then the crappy first rounder CJ we picked last year.

SenorSpur
03-11-2012, 12:45 AM
I disagree...If the spurs feel like a sg or sf is the best player on the board I would hope they go after that player instead of having to go middle of there big board to find a bid who is still left. This played to the spurs advantage with George Hill, the spurs simply moved a player from a position already stacked and almost landed a lottery pick. I plan on looking at some of these bigs when the season comes to an end so I am not sure what big fits the spurs system.

And while George Hill served a purpose, he was never quite a fit during his tenure with the Spurs. Yes he proved to be an asset that was moved later, but still he was more of a luxury than anything else.

The Spurs simply cannot go yet another season with such a glaring deficiency on the frontline. Regardless of whether Duncan elects to continue playing beyond this year or not, he's not getting any younger and he desparately needs help.

I'm holding firm against drafting yet another perimeter player. With such a glaring need on the frontline, it would assinine to bring aboard another perimeter player, who will likely ride the bench. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

8FOR!3
03-11-2012, 05:36 AM
If we draft a guy named Festus, I'm finding another sport

BackHome
03-11-2012, 12:53 PM
If we draft another PG in the first round I am moving to another country!:nope

yavozerb
03-11-2012, 01:25 PM
If we draft another PG in the first round I am moving to another country!:nope

I have no problem with another pg as long as he can play...I am guessing the the spurs will go after another SF mainly cause I do not see any quality bigs falling that far.

jjktkk
03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
And while George Hill served a purpose, he was never quite a fit during his tenure with the Spurs. Yes he proved to be an asset that was moved later, but still he was more of a luxury than anything else.

The Spurs simply cannot go yet another season with such a glaring deficiency on the frontline. Regardless of whether Duncan elects to continue playing beyond this year or not, he's not getting any younger and he desparately needs help.

I'm holding firm against drafting yet another perimeter player. With such a glaring need on the frontline, it would assinine to bring aboard another perimeter player, who will likely ride the bench. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Senor, most of us Spur fans want the Spurs to add more size, but the odds of finding a big in the lower 1st round who can play right away, is slim, to none. Unless your going to stash a drafted player overseas to develop for a few years, you have to take the "best player available" approach when drafting a prospect, regardless if that player is a perimeter player.

SenorSpur
03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Senor, most of us Spur fans want the Spurs to add more size, but the odds of finding a big in the lower 1st round who can play right away, is slim, to none. Unless your going to stash a drafted player overseas to develop for a few years, you have to take the "best player available" approach when drafting a prospect, regardless if that player is a perimeter player.

Point taken. Of course, in any draft players slide (a la Splitter a few years ago) and this is considered to be a fairly deep draft. However my point on Ezeli, is that he has decent size and skill and there is a good chance he will be available. I'm not sure if he's ready to step in and play right away, but the Spurs are at a point where they need another big in the pipeline ASAP.

Of course, I sincerely hope the Spurs may be able to inch up a few spots and take whatever player they target.

jjktkk
03-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Point taken. Of course, in any draft players slide (a la Splitter a few years ago) and this is considered to be a fairly deep draft. However my point on Ezeli, is that he has decent size and skill and there is a good chance he will be available. I'm not sure if he's ready to step in and play right away, but the Spurs are at a point where they need another big in the pipeline ASAP.

Of course, I sincerely hope the Spurs may be able to inch up a few spots and take whatever player they target.

Trust me, I feel your pain. I hate our front line depth. The solace is, like you said, it is suppose to be a deep draft. Lets hope we can get that big. :toast

SenorSpur
03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
After watching him yesterday, as Vanderbilt upset Kentucky to win the SEC Championship, it appears his offensive game is still very raw. He's got good power and is extremely aggressive at carving out position on offense and boxing his man out on the defensive glass. However what was troubling is that he had several opportunities where he powered his way to the basket, yet was unable to finish off several plays. Sure, he got fouled on many of them, but there were other oppotunities where hs simply didn't finish off the play and missed a couple of bunnies.

He finished with 17 pts, but he easily could gotten 25, had he converted these easy, potential, "and-1" opportunities. He pushed the lighter KU bigs around in the paint, but I would've also liked to have seen him do a better job on the defensive glass.

That said, he is a senior and is more polished that he was last year. I can certainly see him as a project big, at the next level, but he definitely needs to work on finishing around the basket.

yavozerb
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
After watching him yesterday, as Vanderbilt upset Kentucky to win the SEC Championship, it appears his offensive game is still very raw. He's got good power and is extremely aggressive at carving out position on offense and boxing his man out on the defensive glass. However what was troubling is that he had several opportunities where he powered his way to the basket, yet was unable to finish off several plays. Sure, he got fouled on many of them, but there were other oppotunities where hs simply didn't finish off the play and missed a couple of bunnies.

He finished with 17 pts, but he easily could gotten 25, had he converted these easy, potential, "and-1" opportunities. He pushed the lighter KU bigs around in the paint, but I would've also liked to have seen him do a better job on the defensive glass.

That said, he is a senior and is more polished that he was last year. I can certainly see him as a project big, at the next level, but he definitely needs to work on finishing around the basket.

Alot of skilled college bigs cannot finish inside on kentucky's NBA caliber bigs, but thanks for the insight..Should be fun watching some of these prospects in the tourney

SenorSpur
03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Alot of skilled college bigs cannot finish inside on kentucky's NBA caliber bigs, but thanks for the insight..Should be fun watching some of these prospects in the tourney

He literally had his way with the Kentucky bigs. He pushed them around, bulled his way in and carved out his own space, on the offensive end. He simply just did a poor job of finishing around the basket. Everything from bobbled shot attempts to getting himself caught out of position after grabbing an offensive rebound or spinning toward the rim. His troubles had very little to do with them and moreso to his own mistakes.

You're right though, it will be a lot of fun continuing to watch him during the tourney.

SenorSpur
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
After seeing what "Nazr Mohammed-like" hands Ezeli has, I've officially cooled on this kid.

longtimelurker
05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
If we draft a guy named Festus, I'm finding another sport

http://www.tv-cowboys.com/images/Festus.jpg

SamoanTD
06-08-2012, 11:38 PM
He's agile as a turtle.

alucardthereaper
06-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Looking good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOBYpDJu5A0

SenorSpur
06-17-2012, 09:29 AM
I've cooled a bit on him, but I like him better than Bonner - which isn't saying a whole lot.

CGD
06-17-2012, 09:59 AM
what a name... my mind just wants to say fetus

SenorSpur
06-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Apparently he was trained by Marshall Dillon