PDA

View Full Version : Why are spurs fans so negative?

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post here on ST. I know we lost today, but I get on here, and all I read is "first round exit again", "this team sucks" and "we need a big badly"..etc. Idk, but I think if you read some other forums, you'll notice that people are usually a lot more optimistic about their teams. Why this whole vibe of negativity guys? I am not really upset about the loss. I actually want the spurs to tank a little bit to get the 3rd seed or so(to avoid bad playoff match ups). I understand that we need a big, but so do lots of other teams. The lakers have the best front court in the game, yet I don't think they are going anywhere this season. I am actually a lot more confident about our team. Just don't like to read this pessimism about the spurs, I mean, you see it on espn all the time already.

Duncan2177
03-05-2012, 12:57 AM
It's because of Dick Jefferson

TE
03-05-2012, 12:59 AM
We've been spoiled by excellence from our favorite basketball team that has spanned for more than a decade. Are you really going to go as far as to ask such a stupid question?

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Gloomy melancholy and negativity are prerequisites for being a Spurs fan these days.

Hey, what do you expect from fans of a team whose colors remind you of storm clouds?

:lol

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 01:00 AM
We've been spoiled by excellence from our favorite basketball team that has spanned for more than a decade. Are you really going to go as far as to ask such a stupid question?

^ this

We remember the glory days...it's hard to accept they are probably over, and for a long, long time to come. :depressed

Reck
03-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Tanking does you no good when you have to face bigger and better defenders in the next round.

You cant just put a bandaid and hope it goes away. The problem is at the core, as they say.

SpurPadre
03-05-2012, 01:03 AM
We haven't won a title in almost 5 years...THAT is why we're negative.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 01:04 AM
I am pretty sure that there isn't a team in the NBA that can expect to win the title every year.

irishock
03-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Cause they're fat.

NewcastleKEG
03-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Proud winner that has steadily declined while holding onto aging players is always difficult to watch. The secondary problem is Spurs are still very well coached & highly intelligent/experienced so play well at home & thus finish high in the standings

Playoff time the lack of post play is a glaring problem. Finish high in the standings & you can win a 1st Round matchup vs Houston, Dallas or Nuggets but 2nd Round you are facing: Durant, Ibaka, Perkins/Kobe, Bynum & Gasol/Gay, Randolph, Gasol/ & Butler, Griffin, Jordan. Unless Duncan has another level he's been hiding for the past 2.5 seasons..... Spurs just can't matchup with those teams AT THE MOMENT

Off season: Spurs need to dump Jefferson & improve the post. Package Green or Leonard with Blair or Splitter. Bulls will once again face the same issue Spurs will....bench isn't as important in the Playoffs.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Well I agree that the spurs are old. But so are a bunch of other teams. Nobody ever talks about how old the Mavs are. As for the bulls, I think they look great right now in terms of roster balance. What bother's me about the spurs isn't that they don't have some big name shot blocker, but that they only have 4 bigs right now.

DMC
03-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Gloomy melancholy and negativity are prerequisites for being a Spurs fan these days.

Hey, what do you expect from fans of a team whose colors remind you of storm clouds?

Better than that gay ass South side Taco Cabana colors they used to have.

Still, so many fans started watching the Spurs after Duncan was drafted. They don't have the sense of dichotomy that the pre-Robinson fans have. We all know we aren't the Lakers. Anyone here could choose to become a fan of the most popular teams, some do, but the rest of us appreciate what we've gotten. Damn lucky we are. We few, we band of brothers. I just made that up.

DMC
03-05-2012, 01:22 AM
I am pretty sure that there isn't a team in the NBA that can expect to win the title every year.
The Lakers say hi.

Dex
03-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Just SpursTalk making the posts that SpursTalk is supposed to make. No surprises here.

Spurs win, and they are contending for the title.

Spurs lose, it's meltdown time. Blow it up and go for the lottery!

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Better than that gay ass South side Taco Cabana colors they used to have.

Still, so many fans started watching the Spurs after Duncan was drafted. They don't have the sense of dichotomy that the pre-Robinson fans have. We all know we aren't the Lakers. Anyone here could choose to become a fan of the most popular teams, some do, but the rest of us appreciate what we've gotten. Damn lucky we are. We few, we band of brothers. I just made that up.

It's we few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

http://poetry.about.com/library/weekly/blshakespearewar.htm

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 01:33 AM
A wife is better than a basketball team... at least she's fucking consistent!

Amen, brother. Been with mine for over 20 years now. :toast

TJastal
03-05-2012, 01:36 AM
^ this

We remember the glory days...it's hard to accept they are probably over, and for a long, long time to come. :depressed

:lmao

Love the irony on display here.

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 01:38 AM

Love the irony on display here.

What irony? The Spurs haven't been championship contenders since 2008.

Sean Cagney
03-05-2012, 01:38 AM
A wife is better than a basketball team... at least she's fucking consistent!

LOL FOR SOME! True although I am not married.

TJastal
03-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Oh btw to the OP.. I follow a few other boards and one of them (Pacers digest) actually have a meltdown thread stickied to the front page for any kind of overreactions and doom and gloom posts. Must be alot worse over there to need that.

TJastal
03-05-2012, 01:42 AM
What irony? The Spurs haven't been championship contenders since 2008.

Appears to me you were agreeing with the OP, then you made a melancholy statement afterward. Seems kind of contradictory.

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Appears to me you were agreeing with the OP, then you made a melancholy statement afterward. Seems kind of contradictory.

Actually, I was being completely consistent.

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post here on ST. I know we lost today, but I get on here, and all I read is "first round exit again", "this team sucks" and "we need a big badly"..etc. Idk, but I think if you read some other forums, you'll notice that people are usually a lot more optimistic about their teams. Why this whole vibe of negativity guys? I am not really upset about the loss. I actually want the spurs to tank a little bit to get the 3rd seed or so(to avoid bad playoff match ups). I understand that we need a big, but so do lots of other teams. The lakers have the best front court in the game, yet I don't think they are going anywhere this season. I am actually a lot more confident about our team. Just don't like to read this pessimism about the spurs, I mean, you see it on espn all the time already.

After you see the same script for a couple of years it get's hard to not be pessimistic. The team doesn't even try to change the script. They do the same thing over and over.

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 01:54 AM

It's not just that. The team isn't playing too its potential. That includes the FO too. Losing when you give it your best shot is one thing but not giving your best shot just stinks.

TJastal
03-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Team defenitely seems to have lost its mojo after that blazers forfeit romp that all the resident boldname "experts" of ST claim was the right move by Pop.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 01:59 AM
I just think it's weird that people are attaching so much significance to a regular season game. Last year, when the Lakers had that insane stretch after the all star break, the whole fan base talked about how they were going to three-peat. Then they barely squeezed by the terrible hornets and got swept by the Mavs.

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 02:03 AM
After you see the same script for a couple of years it get's hard to not be pessimistic. The team doesn't even try to change the script. They do the same thing over and over.

Doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results, is the very definition of insanity. :lol

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Team defenitely seems to have lost its mojo after that blazers forfeit romp that all the resident boldname "experts" of ST claim was the right move by Pop.

I guess resting the players was sort of a questionable move, but I mean, the winning streak was gonna come to an end eventually anyways. Also, most of the people who played in that game are not that important to the team's success anyways. Today was definitely a game they probably should have won, but it is not they got destroyed by the bulls or anything. We could have easily won that game.

angelbelow
03-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Its not complicated, just the nature of being a sports fan. You don't have to look that far (in any sport) to find another group of pessimistic sports fans.

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 02:08 AM
I guess resting the players was sort of a questionable move, but I mean, the winning streak was gonna come to an end eventually anyways. Also, most of the people who played in that game are not that important to the team's success anyways. Today was definitely a game they probably should have won, but it is not they got destroyed by the bulls or anything. We could have easily won that game.

The Bulls game was rust. Tonight was just almost total lack of defense. You can't let a team shoot 80 freakin' percent against you and claim that you're playing any defense.

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Its not complicated, just the nature of being a sports fan. You don't have to look that far (in any sport) to find another group of pessimistic sports fans.

WERD...you think Spurs fans are bad? Try being a Redskins fan. :lol

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results, is the very definition of insanity. :lol

It's pretty stupid that RC wasn't aggressive about signing a big, but I wouldn't trade any of the big three for some mediocre center or something like that. Maybe they could have drafted Vucevic instead of Kawhi, but that probably wouldn't have made much of a difference anyway. If only holt wasn't so cheap.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 02:14 AM
WERD...you think Spurs fans are bad? Try being a Redskins fan. :lol

Yeah, but the redskins suck :P

TJastal
03-05-2012, 02:15 AM

I understand it's only a game, but mojo, chemistry, whatever you want to call it, isn't something you want to mess up especially when you got it going in spades.

Remember a few years back when the spurs were riding a huge winning streak and Pop all of a sudden decides to rest Duncan against a hot raptors squad? Long story short, spurs go down by 20 Pop in a panic ends up subbing Timmy into that game halfway into the 2nd quarter (colder and stiffer than frozen brick mind you) and Timmy breaks his back trying to bring the spurs back yet falls just short. Team never really looked the same again after that game, both in confidence and chemistry.

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 02:29 AM
I understand it's only a game, but mojo, chemistry, whatever you want to call it, isn't something you want to mess up especially when you got it going in spades.

Remember a few years back when the spurs were riding a huge winning streak and Pop all of a sudden decides to rest Duncan against a hot raptors squad? Long story short, spurs go down by 20 Pop in a panic ends up subbing Timmy into that game halfway into the 2nd quarter (colder and stiffer than frozen brick mind you) and Timmy breaks his back trying to bring the spurs back yet falls just short. Team never really looked the same again after that game, both in confidence and chemistry.

The funny thing is that Pop blames losing in the first round partly on losing chemistry with the TD and Manu injuries.

AidanNelson2009
03-05-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm not negative, i just know that the Spurs aren't going anywhere this season. We are one of the top teams in the West, but teams like the Lakers, Dallas, Memphis, who are behind us, are more likely to do better in the play-offs. We just lack a star player, that's my opinion. We've got Manu, who is great, but he is getting injured a lot lately and is getting older, no one knows how much he has left in the tank and whether or not he can carry this team for the rest of the season. Duncan is not the player he was, due to age, still very good but needs another quality big man alongside him. Parker is good, but fails to shine against the good teams. Then the rest of the team is average imo.

Horse
03-05-2012, 07:55 AM
What a bunch of whining pussies!

Horse
03-05-2012, 07:58 AM
This shit gets old, nothing but bitching every single day. Guess what we're not gonna win every single game. Maybe this game was working Manu in trying to get an idea of what the rotations gonna be. But he finally looked like himself at certain points and that's a GOOD thing.

will_spurs
03-05-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't think we are negative, we are realistic. As fans of a team that won multiple championships, we know what it takes to get there, and unless every star player breaks a leg between now and the Finals, there's no way the Spurs are beating anybody with a line-up of Blair, Bonner and RJ. These guys would have to shoot 80% from the field just to cover up all the freebies they give up on D.

mexicanjunior
03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't think we are negative, we are realistic. As fans of a team that won multiple championships, we know what it takes to get there, and unless every star player breaks a leg between now and the Finals, there's no way the Spurs are beating anybody with a line-up of Blair, Bonner and RJ. These guys would have to shoot 80% from the field just to cover up all the freebies they give up on D.

This...

We can all see the writing on the wall, so we don't see the need to come in posting homer threads about "silver lining" losses. It's a shame because they have the pieces on the roster to be contenders but Pop refuses to use them in the best possible way to assure playoff success (Splitter and Duncan frontline). As long as Blair and Bonner are getting big minutes, plus starting the non-amnesty abortion of Jefferson ahead of Leonard...they are first round fodder.

jgome21
03-05-2012, 09:35 AM
OMG! We lost to the Nuggets oh no.............!!!

SpurNation
03-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I think negativity is in unrealistic bashing and complaining. And the few that fall in that category can make it seem as though the majority fall in suite.

But there have been some great points made of "issues" the Spurs face. Debate is a good thing amongst fans. It allows those who are open to a team having faults to better understand as to maybe why and what would be a hopeful solution via rotation of players, trade, draft, circumstances, etc. that would seemingly help their favorite team.

That's not to say it's all conducive or conclusive to what's best for the team in a fan's perspective...but...it most definately shows passion about a team.

Without that passion...good or bad...the reason for the team even existing in the market they reside would be unwarranted.

I take the good with the bad. The harsh uneducated criticism will always be part of any team's fan base. (Self included over the years at times in it) But I just try to ignore such reckless diatribe and focus more on the great discussions and ideas that get presented so I may learn as I grow as a fan.

DMC
03-05-2012, 09:43 AM
It's we few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

http://poetry.about.com/library/weekly/blshakespearewar.htm

Thank you Captain Obvious.

timvp
03-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Spurs fans are pessimistic and overreactionary (is that a word?) by nature. I think that was caused by the many difficult defeats in the first ~25 years of the franchise and then extreme highs (four rings) surrounded by extreme lows (2001 massacre, .4, Manu's foul, etc). Tbh, we ain't the sanest of bunches ... and for pretty good reasons.

ElNono
03-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Wait a minute LJ, you constantly rate a guy like RJ with a C or a D, he keeps getting heavy minutes including crunch time minutes, but Spursfan overreacts? :lol

TJastal
03-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Wait a minute LJ, you constantly rate a guy like RJ with a C or a D, he keeps getting heavy minutes including crunch time minutes, but Spursfan overreacts? :lol

But he be spreaden da' floor yo

ElNono
03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I think some gripes are legitimate and some not so much. You CAN be a fan and have a critical view. The fact that everyone is here posting and discussing the team means most of us actually either watch or attend the game, despite any criticism/negativity.

Fabbs
03-05-2012, 09:57 AM
but but but.....
Pop coached the Spurs to a win according to advanced stats. :rollin

timvp
03-05-2012, 10:04 AM

:lol Hey I didn't say there weren't legitimate reasons to be pessimistic and overreact. Pop's Nelly-esque tactics over the years haven't been good for the ol' blood pressure of Spurs fans, tbh.

Cane
03-05-2012, 10:07 AM
This is like the 4chan of NBA forums, just check out downstairs :)

There's plenty of negativity for several reasons.

One, Spurs fans are spoiled and a lot of them demand a contender and wouldn't mind blowing it up if they can't be one (which is frankly stupid for a small market like SA to do)

Two, there are so many god damn trolls and away team fans masquerading as Spurs fans

Three, ST veterans fuel the flame

etc

DesignatedT
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
The negativity, hating on our own players, type of attitude really gets old once in awhile. It definitely makes the board unbearable at times and that's probably one of the reasons you saw so many old regulars leave.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-05-2012, 02:01 PM
The negativity, hating on our own players, type of attitude really gets old once in awhile. It definitely makes the board unbearable at times and that's probably one of the reasons you saw so many old regulars leave.

Yeah I avoid this place after any type of signficant loss. Way too many over reactions to wins and losses. I wonder if the Heat fans are wanting to 'blow up team' after losses to Jazz and Laker?

OLD SCHOOL
03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
As a fan since the late 1970's, I think this team is a lot of fun to watch. Living in Louisiana, I am sick and tired of bandwagon Saints and LSU fans. The same can be said for some Spurs fans. If you have only been a fan for a decade or so, welcome to the real world. There are ups and downs in the history of any franchise. Go Spurs!

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm not negative, i just know that the Spurs aren't going anywhere this season. We are one of the top teams in the West, but teams like the Lakers, Dallas, Memphis, who are behind us, are more likely to do better in the play-offs. We just lack a star player, that's my opinion. We've got Manu, who is great, but he is getting injured a lot lately and is getting older, no one knows how much he has left in the tank and whether or not he can carry this team for the rest of the season. Duncan is not the player he was, due to age, still very good but needs another quality big man alongside him. Parker is good, but fails to shine against the good teams. Then the rest of the team is average imo.

I don't agree with you. The big three are all stars. Maybe not superstars, but they are very good players. Teams like the Lakers are in much worse shape. Have you watched any of their games? They are far from the team they were last year. With a pathetic bench like theirs, I like our chances a lot better. You are an idiot if you think parker is like that. Have you honestly been living under a rock? Have you seen the okc game? The lack of intelligence displayed in your post is appalling.

will_spurs
03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Another thing to take into account: the big 3 is still playing, and everybody knows this the golden era of Spurs basketball. Even drafting one of the greatest players of all-time (D-Rob) doesn't necessarily equate with success, much less rings (talk to a Cavs fan about that). Having Duncan and D-Rob in 99, then the big 3 for 3 more rings... this is nothing short of incredible.

Why am I saying this? When Duncan, Manu and Parker have retired, it's likely that the Spurs are going to enter a no man's land of mediocrity. But right now they are still active, and many of us feel the Spurs are just that close to being a real contender again. Just one move/trade away. Seeing scrubs waste away the last few years of Duncan's era isn't going down so well with many Spurs fans. I think that explains a lot of the negativity and over-reaction, because of this nagging feeling that you've got something good going, or great even, and just one tiny thing could tip the scales in your favor once more. It's maddening.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
As a fan since the late 1970's, I think this team is a lot of fun to watch. Living in Louisiana, I am sick and tired of bandwagon Saints and LSU fans. The same can be said for some Spurs fans. If you have only been a fan for a decade or so, welcome to the real world. There are ups and downs in the history of any franchise. Go Spurs!

Yes, exactly. Maybe the spurs aren't "true" contenders, but neither was dallas last year. Just be happy that you guys have a competitive team. Screw the "oh we are not going anywhere without a big" attitude. Pure bs. If everything worked like that, then don't watch the games. If somebody here wants to bet that a team, say the heat, wins the championship, I would take the field anyday. You never know what is going to happen, and that is why the players play the game and people watch the game. As a cardinals fan, I did not think there was even a slight chance that they would win the world series. I always thought that there was no way they would even make the playoffs without the pitching. Guess what? I was wrong, and they won this year. If you guys are just gonna moan about every game, they go give head to all the stupid writers at espn.

z0sa
03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
spurs fans are hugely spoiled and also egotistical from all the winning. that simple.

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
The negativity is because the Spurs have turned into a regular season team over the years. In the playoffs what really matters is your stars, and only one of the Spurs' is still in his prime. The other two look like they have been beaten into the ground by long seasons once the playoffs roll around. Depth is nice, but no substitute for having elite talent in its prime (otherwise you would have seen the 00 Blazers and the 02 Kings hoisting LOBs). The team is too good to tank and not good enough to win it all without a trade. As shitty as the Lakers have looked, they have Bryant, Gasol, and Bynum, and could still be really dangerous when Fisher starts hitting his open shots again (which he always does in games that matter).

DPG21920
03-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah I avoid this place after any type of signficant loss. Way too many over reactions to wins and losses. I wonder if the Heat fans are wanting to 'blow up team' after losses to Jazz and Laker?

The Spurs made it to the finals last year and have two top 5 players on their team? They also have the best defense in the league?

DPG21920
03-05-2012, 06:01 PM
I think the shift you see in the fans (fans on every forum act like this btw) is also in line with a shift in the team. Like it or not, this team is only around for people's entertainment. The Spurs fans grew up (in the recent era: the one that matters because it's what established the team as champions) believing in a team that played a certain way: defense first. There was something of substance to that and it has gone out the window and for the same reason Spurs fans mocked others who hated our franchise because they were boring winners, Spurs fans now have the same mentality towards their San Antonio Suns because they don't accept losing that way. People will support losing if it's their brand and you go down swinging, but to watch Richard Jefferson destroy what's left of the big 3's hopes is not what people want to see.

TD 21
03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
"Tank a little bit to get the 3rd seed or so" and "just a regular season game". :lol

There's a clear line that's been drawn in the West. There's six high quality teams (Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, Lakers, Mavs, Grizzlies) and then there's four other quality, but clearly inferior teams (Rockets, Nuggets, Timberwolves, Trail Blazers). The difference between the Spurs drawing one of the former or one of the latter is significant. It's basically the difference from a roughly 50/50 chance of advancing or at least a 75% chance of advancing. Even if they survive one of the former, it promises to be a long, grueling series. Meanwhile, any of the latter would most likely be short and sweet.

Then there's the matter of the fact that they're in a soft spot in their schedule. They face some good competition, for sure, but they're at home and the games are spaced out. And on top of that, for the first time all season everyone is available. Not long after this stretch, they've got two back-to-back-to-backs (Pop will inevitably throw one of each; probably the middle ones). Them squandering a game where they were rested, at full strength, at home and facing a depleted second tier team, is a crucial loss and one that will only make securing the second seed more difficult.

MmP
03-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I was asking myself the same question this afternoon. I don't what's the deal. The team for the first time in 10? years has found a way to survive without Manu and having presence for it self and some keep whining. I don't get it.

Maybe its' because last year we where teorically the best team in the west and...

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
With the Grizzlies last year and what the Nuggets did at home yesterday I think low seed teams are going to be trying to end up in the Spurs bracket. The psychological battle is already lost.

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I was asking myself the same question this afternoon. I don't what's the deal. The team for the first time in 10? years has found a way to survive without Manu and having presence for it self and some keep whining. I don't get it.

Maybe its' because last year we where teorically the best team in the west and...

The regular season record doesn't matter. It's about whether this team is playing the right way and a way that can work in the playoffs. The past two years this team has lost playoff series that they were favored to win.

MmP
03-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Will you guys agree that the aproach to the games are different than last years'?

I think the Spurs try harder on defense than last year. And have more depth overall. That's enought to me to believe.The San Antonio Suns of last years seem to be dead. Tiago makes me believe, Tony's season, Neal, and defensive Leonard.

Of course there's a lot to improve.

MmP
03-05-2012, 06:24 PM
The regular season record doesn't matter. It's about whether this team is playing the right way and a way that can work in the playoffs. The past two years this team has lost playoff series that they were favored to win.
In 2010 we were favourites? Being the 7 seed? Dunno man..
I get your point though, last year was a big dissapointment but the defensive set this year makes more confident

MmP
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Spurs fans are pessimistic and overreactionary (is that a word?) by nature. I think that was caused by the many difficult defeats in the first ~25 years of the franchise and then extreme highs (four rings) surrounded by extreme lows (2001 massacre, .4, Manu's foul, etc). Tbh, we ain't the sanest of bunches ... and for pretty good reasons.
Last year was a debacle too. Losing to an 8th seed last night make Spurs fan bring back old memories.

Keepin' it real
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
A lot of people on here are just angry, and it seems to have nothing to do with basketball. I'm guessing their lives suck -- bad job, bad marriage, bad kids, etc. -- all stemming from poor decisions they've made throughout their lives.

To distract themselves from their own self-loathing, they overcompensate by placing WAY TOO MUCH importance on Spurs basketball. So when a player or coach screws up, they unleash profanity-laced tirades for all to see, under the veil of online anonymity. Clearly, these people have issues.

The proof is found in posts after Spurs wins. Even then, at the first sign of disagreement, out come the F bombs and name calling. Basically, you end up with middle-school behavior from a bunch of adult men (I'm guessing).

They got the best of me once, and I stooped to their level, but not anymore. Now, I use the ignore list to sort through the riff-raft, and that has made this place not only tolerable, but also enjoyable.

I estimate that, besides me, maybe 1 out of every 100 people on here post anything worth reading. The rest are just immature foul-mouths who are one rude post away from being added to "the list." Go Spurs!

:flag::flag::flag:

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 06:28 PM
^^^ fuck yeah!

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Why y'all nigLuck_the_fakers so motherfucking negative?

ElNono
03-05-2012, 06:50 PM
The negativity is because the Spurs have turned into a regular season team over the years. In the playoffs what really matters is your stars, and only one of the Spurs' is still in his prime. The other two look like they have been beaten into the ground by long seasons once the playoffs roll around. Depth is nice, but no substitute for having elite talent in its prime (otherwise you would have seen the 00 Blazers and the 02 Kings hoisting LOBs). The team is too good to tank and not good enough to win it all without a trade. As shitty as the Lakers have looked, they have Bryant, Gasol, and Bynum, and could still be really dangerous when Fisher starts hitting his open shots again (which he always does in games that matter).

Post more

ElNono
03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
^^^ fuck yeah!

Tunnel vision is a hell of a drug!

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 07:53 PM
In 2010 we were favourites? Being the 7 seed? Dunno man..
I get your point though, last year was a big dissapointment but the defensive set this year makes more confident

After we beat the Mavs we were favorites to beat a Suns team we had owned for the last decade. Everybody had us in 6. We couldn't even win one game against them.

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
After we beat the Mavs we were favorites to beat a Suns team we had owned for the last decade. Everybody had us in 6. We couldn't even win one game against them.

Did Vegas have the Spurs as favorites in that series? If so, that would have been incredibly stupid based on how lousy a fit Jefferson was proving to be. They weren't a typical 7-seed, but it's pretty typical of the media to act like something is going to happen just because it did the previous year, or the year before.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM

I get what you are saying. Last year, TD got hurt after he got a game off. Still though, in 2007, pop rested starters, and we won the championship that year. I think it is easy to confuse correlation with causation. The rest is a moot argument.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Okay, come on now, don't be an idiot. How many superstars did dallas have besides dirk. You need depth to win a post season series, because you can't rely on the same people to step up every time. You guys are too drunk to remember that Manu of all people has had some terrible games in our championship runs.

ThaBigFundamental21
03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I think a few people nailed it. The Spurs have been good for so long, unless they are literally at the top it's not good enough for anyone here. Hence no one even shows up to Spurs home games anymore. A little ironic, because now it is clear our big 3 are winding down, I have learned to really appreciate every game we have left together even more. Nothing lasts forever. In a few years there will be no more Timmy and Manu. Or even Pop for that matter.......

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Okay, come on now, don't be an idiot. How many superstars did dallas have besides dirk. You need depth to win a post season series, because you can't rely on the same people to step up every time. You guys are too drunk to remember that Manu of all people has had some terrible games in our championship runs.

Dirk is a lot better than anyone currently on the Spurs. Hate to say it, but the Spurs have no one who is a top-10 player in the league any more, much less top 5 like Nowitzki was last season.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Dirk is a lot better than anyone currently on the Spurs. Hate to say it, but the Spurs have no one who is a top-10 player in the league any more, much less top 5 like Nowitzki was last season.

This is true, but teams win championships, not players. In 2007, we didn't have any top 5 players either. Also, the celtics didn't have any of these in 2008. Neither did the pistons in 2004.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Also, I think Tony is playing like a top 10-15 player this season at the very least.

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 09:04 PM
This is true, but teams win championships, not players. In 2007, we didn't have any top 5 players either. Also, the celtics didn't have any of these in 2008. Neither did the pistons in 2004.

Duncan was definitely a top 5 player in 07. In 08 the Celtics had 3 top-15 players. This Spurs team has one player you could make an argument (and not an air-tight one) for being top 15. The Pistons were a genuine exception, but I don't even see where to begin comparing this Spurs team to a true all-time defensive juggernaut like them.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Duncan was definitely a top 5 player in 07. In 08 the Celtics had 3 top-15 players. This Spurs team has one player you could make an argument (and not an air-tight one) for being top 15. The Pistons were a genuine exception, but I don't even see where to begin comparing this Spurs team to a true all-time defensive juggernaut like them.

Maybe I don't remember correctly, but I think Timmy had some awful games in the post season, and the rest of the team had to carry him. Again, right now, you are confusing correlation with causation. Good teams win championships, but good teams often have good stars too. There are also many teams that had top 5 players in their prime(aka the phoenix suns) who never made it to the finals.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 09:09 PM
I am not saying that the spurs will win this year, just don't write them off that easily.

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Maybe I don't remember correctly, but I think Timmy had some awful games in the post season, and the rest of the team had to carry him. Again, right now, you are confusing correlation with causation. Good teams win championships, but good teams often have good stars too. There are also many teams that had top 5 players in their prime(aka the phoenix suns) who never made it to the finals.

I'm not confusing things; stars win titles. Your bench becomes less important because there are no back to backs and because travel is lighter. In the playoffs other teams are less concerned with rest and play their top players more minutes, so you can't get away with playing lesser players the kind of minutes you can in the regular season. Yeah, a star can't win a title with a garbage cast (see LeBron's Cavs teams); having at least one superstar level player is usually a necessary but not sufficient condition to being a title contender. All the Detlef Schrempfs, Brian Grants, and Steve Smiths of the world don't trump a Shaq.

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 09:33 PM

To make up for not having a top 5 player you need to be at the top of the league defensively.

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Did Vegas have the Spurs as favorites in that series? If so, that would have been incredibly stupid based on how lousy a fit Jefferson was proving to be. They weren't a typical 7-seed, but it's pretty typical of the media to act like something is going to happen just because it did the previous year, or the year before.

Did you seriously think the Suns were going to sweep the Spurs? That was a relatively inexperienced Suns team with the exception of Nash/Stoudemire. That was Grant Hill's first time out of the first round I think. Those guys were basically playoff newbies.

baseline bum
03-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Did you seriously think the Suns were going to sweep the Spurs? That was a relatively inexperienced Suns team with the exception of Nash/Stoudemire. That was Grant Hill's first time out of the first round I think. Those guys were basically playoff newbies.

Nope, I didn't expect the sweep at all. I wasn't too high on the Spurs chances though.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Actually, they kicked the holy shit out of Denver the next game, but don't let a little thing like the facts stand in your way.

TD 21
03-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Duncan was not only still a top five player in '07, I'd argue that he was still the best player in the league. He dominated the playoffs. He didn't score as consistently big as he had in past playoffs, but because of the continued emergence of Ginobili and Parker, he didn't need to. For the most part, the games they needed him to score big though, he did. But he's not an insecure, arrogant prick who constantly feels the need to prove to people how great he is, to the point of damn near costing his team a championship.

In '08 and '09, there's no question Duncan had began to decline and James had taken over as the best player in the league. But looking back, much like now, Duncan was better than he was given credit for. He was still a top five player in '08 and a top ten player in '09. Unfortunately, unlike lesser all-time greats, he wasn't viewed that way.

The jury is still out on whether "Dirk is a lot better than anyone currently on the Spurs". Though he's turned it on lately, I'm not sold he can carry the offense every game anymore. And the second he can't do that, he's where he's been this season, which is in the same class as the Spurs big three. Because it's not like he has some other dominant skill to fall back on.

antarescrane
03-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I guess some of this makes sense. Whatever, I just want to read something about my team without too much negativity. I am sure a lot of people agree too.

antarescrane
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM

This season, I am not sure dirk is as good as any of the big three. Last year, he had a crazy playoff run, but he also needed good role players to support him at times. Agree with what you are saying though.

mexicanjunior
03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I guess some of this makes sense. Whatever, I just want to read something about my team without too much negativity. I am sure a lot of people agree too.

You should just read Spurs.com articles then, they will be sure to sugar coat anything remotely negative for you...

TJastal
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Actually, they kicked the holy shit out of Denver the next game, but don't let a little thing like the facts stand in your way.

And Denver for that game was missing its starting PG, PF, C, & backup SG plus they were on the last game of a nasty double back 2 back with 1 day of rest in between. Against all solid playoff teams.

But don't let little things like facts jumble up the great high you're obviously experiencing.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 12:47 PM
This season, I am not sure dirk is as good as any of the big three. Last year, he had a crazy playoff run, but he also needed good role players to support him at times. Agree with what you are saying though.

According to some here, Dirk's still in his prime. :rollin

Cow Eye
03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I think some of the perceived negativity is because, in general, Spurs fans aren't of the fair-weather variety. It's easy to stay positive all the time, and not critical, when all you do is jump on whatever media hyped bandwagon is coming down the path next.

That, or it sets up the "win-win" of e-tardation. If they lose, we "already knew it" and get to have the implied "told ya so", and if they win...they won, so we can be happy. Win-win.

Keepin' it real
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM
In a nutshell, here's typical spurstalk.com interaction. Refer to the 7:35 mark up to about the 8:10 mark. Way too many people on here act like the bald fella :rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes as soon as someone disagrees with them, and that ain't good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYVdeM7AQTw

Great movie, by the way.

JRHernandez88
03-06-2012, 04:47 PM
werd :wakeup. They do got some good points on here though on whats wrong with the team. The only problem is that they seem to keep focus on those issues and forget to enjoy game. Gets to the point to where all you read about in these threads our the problems. As for me im just enjoying the game for what it supposed to be. Entertainment.:downspin: Disecting it to much just takes the fun out of it. I still think we can win with this team and am enjoying the ride cause we're kicking ass for the most part. :lobt2::flag:

timvp
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
bbum with the goods :tu

And yes, Duncan was still great in 2007. Best player in the league? Yeah, I'd say so. The 2007 Playoff Duncan was better than the 2005 Playoff Duncan. In order, I'd say it goes:

2003 Playoff Duncan
2007 Playoff Duncan
1999 Playoff Duncan
2005 Playoff Duncan

The 2005 version wasn't bad, he just had two sprained ankles. Hmmm ... I might switch 1999 and 2005 in that order just because 2005 Playoff Duncan was such a better passer and defender. Though when it comes to straight up scoring talent, the only one that challenge 1999 Playoff Duncan is the 2003 version.

therealtruth
03-06-2012, 06:14 PM

And yes, Duncan was still great in 2007. Best player in the league? Yeah, I'd say so. The 2007 Playoff Duncan was better than the 2005 Playoff Duncan. In order, I'd say it goes:

2003 Playoff Duncan
2007 Playoff Duncan
1999 Playoff Duncan
2005 Playoff Duncan

The 2005 version wasn't bad, he just had two sprained ankles. Hmmm ... I might switch 1999 and 2005 in that order just because 2005 Playoff Duncan was such a better passer and defender. Though when it comes to straight up scoring talent, the only one that challenge 1999 Playoff Duncan is the 2003 version.

We pretty much need 20 and 12 from Duncan to have a chance in the playoffs. That's why it's disheartening that the Spurs have been moving away from low post offense and defense when we need more. If TD can only get 12 and 10 like against the Grizzlies we at least need another big to get 12 and 10. Splitter is the next guy capable of that and playing defense.

Horse
03-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah, but the redskins suck :P
Not anymore, once we get RG3!

baseline bum
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM

2003 Playoff Duncan
2007 Playoff Duncan
1999 Playoff Duncan
2005 Playoff Duncan

02 Playoff Duncan belongs right there with 03 Playoff Duncan too. It's just that 02 Playoff Ginobili was Steve Smith.

baseline bum
03-06-2012, 07:22 PM

How come your boy Goebbels doesn't post here?

ElNono
03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
02 Playoff Duncan belongs right there with 03 Playoff Duncan too. It's just that 02 Playoff Ginobili was Steve Smith.

baseline bum
03-06-2012, 09:44 PM
you rang?

Saw you at the symphony the other day; just making sure you got out ok tbh.

Yqff1F0Ijn0

purist
03-06-2012, 10:25 PM
To quote Moe Greene from the Godfather. (P.s. the Godfather is a movie classic from the1970s), "I was making my bones when you were still dating cheerleaders."

My point: I suspect many of the regulars on this forum have been Spurs "fans" since 2000 or so. They see 50-win seasons and early exits from playoffs as armagedon. On the other hand, some of us more "mature" fans have a broader perspective. We see the title runs for what they are/were: special. We remember being the also-rans, never champions, always the after thought. We remember a less sophisticated-yet-more passionate fan base that threw guacamole on future hall of famers, yelled obscenities at visiting teams, and generally didn't give a crap about image or perception. We were happy to have a team and hope sprung eternal every season, even though there really wasn't any logical reason to think so.

Now? we act as spoiled, knee-jerk reacting, has beens who have lost all sense of perspective within the context of Spurs history, even NBA history. We have a coach who embodies the spirit of the old fan base, the old baseline bums. he doesn't give a shit about what anybody thinks. he just cares about his team. And yet, we whine. We have four titles, and we cry and we cry and we cry some more like spoiled little bitches that have never had to work for anything in their lives. We have been witness to one of the most impressive runs in NBA history thorugh the Pop-Duncan era, and all we can do is berate the coach for not starting the next "big" so-called star in favor of the system - the same system that won four rings. After all, we know better. our time behind the valero cash register, or HEB checkout, or whatever mundane job we have has somehow given us keen insight into the inner workings of the NBA and analytical skills that far exceed that of a future hall of fame coach and front office.

We are spoiled and ungrateful. Instead of appreciating the last days of Duncan, we're too blinded by our own bitterness to give an aging legend his due. Soon, these days will be gone and when they are they wont' be viewed in despicable way they are viewed now; no, they will be viewed with nostalgia and probably regret. Regret that we didn't enjoy the end of the ride; only lamented that the end was near.

But I know better. I have endured the retirement of Roger Staubach, the firing of Tom Landry, the trading of George Gervin. And some of you? Well, you've had to endure the most successul decade in Spurs history. boo hoo. you don't know hard times; you don't know heartbreak; you're perspective of success has been jaded by a team that has delivered more than some of us could hav eever imagined. But you act as though they're slouches that suck.

I ask who really sucks? your team? or you as a fan?

Cow Eye
03-07-2012, 01:00 AM

I pick option #3. Bonner.:downspin:

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2012, 03:59 AM

00/01 wouldve been fun to watch had derek anderson didnt get injury and spurs gettin sweep by the lakers

baseline bum
03-07-2012, 04:25 AM
00/01 wouldve been fun to watch had derek anderson didnt get injury and spurs gettin sweep by the lakers

DA might have put up more points than AD, but he would have gotten destroyed every bit as badly as Daniels was. Bryant averaged 37 a game against Anderson in their 3 regular season matchups, and DA was frankly an awful defensive player. Every guard in the league would take turns lighting this guy up when the Spurs came to town. The only starter in recent memory who was anywhere close to as bad defensively was Finley, and even he didn't seem to get destroyed every single night. That 01 sweep turned into a massive blessing for the Spurs, since DA got butthurt to the media about the sweep and talked his way out of tow. Plus Pop was forced to sign Bowen so the team wouldn't get cornholed by any guard with a pulse every night.

100%duncan
03-07-2012, 05:27 AM

100%duncan
03-07-2012, 05:42 AM
To quote Moe Greene from the Godfather. (P.s. the Godfather is a movie classic from the1970s), "I was making my bones when you were still dating cheerleaders."

My point: I suspect many of the regulars on this forum have been Spurs "fans" since 2000 or so. They see 50-win seasons and early exits from playoffs as armagedon. On the other hand, some of us more "mature" fans have a broader perspective. We see the title runs for what they are/were: special. We remember being the also-rans, never champions, always the after thought. We remember a less sophisticated-yet-more passionate fan base that threw guacamole on future hall of famers, yelled obscenities at visiting teams, and generally didn't give a crap about image or perception. We were happy to have a team and hope sprung eternal every season, even though there really wasn't any logical reason to think so.

Now? we act as spoiled, knee-jerk reacting, has beens who have lost all sense of perspective within the context of Spurs history, even NBA history. We have a coach who embodies the spirit of the old fan base, the old baseline bums. he doesn't give a shit about what anybody thinks. he just cares about his team. And yet, we whine. We have four titles, and we cry and we cry and we cry some more like spoiled little bitches that have never had to work for anything in their lives. We have been witness to one of the most impressive runs in NBA history thorugh the Pop-Duncan era, and all we can do is berate the coach for not starting the next "big" so-called star in favor of the system - the same system that won four rings. After all, we know better. our time behind the valero cash register, or HEB checkout, or whatever mundane job we have has somehow given us keen insight into the inner workings of the NBA and analytical skills that far exceed that of a future hall of fame coach and front office.

We are spoiled and ungrateful. Instead of appreciating the last days of Duncan, we're too blinded by our own bitterness to give an aging legend his due. Soon, these days will be gone and when they are they wont' be viewed in despicable way they are viewed now; no, they will be viewed with nostalgia and probably regret. Regret that we didn't enjoy the end of the ride; only lamented that the end was near.

But I know better. I have endured the retirement of Roger Staubach, the firing of Tom Landry, the trading of George Gervin. And some of you? Well, you've had to endure the most successul decade in Spurs history. boo hoo. you don't know hard times; you don't know heartbreak; you're perspective of success has been jaded by a team that has delivered more than some of us could hav eever imagined. But you act as though they're slouches that suck.

yep you know better grey spurs fan

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
DA might have put up more points than AD, but he would have gotten destroyed every bit as badly as Daniels was. Bryant averaged 37 a game against Anderson in their 3 regular season matchups, and DA was frankly an awful defensive player. Every guard in the league would take turns lighting this guy up when the Spurs came to town. The only starter in recent memory who was anywhere close to as bad defensively was Finley, and even he didn't seem to get destroyed every single night. That 01 sweep turned into a massive blessing for the Spurs, since DA got butthurt to the media about the sweep and talked his way out of tow. Plus Pop was forced to sign Bowen so the team wouldn't get cornholed by any guard with a pulse every night.

with DA, at leasts there was a 2nd option on the floor to keep the lakers denfense honest instead of it was duncan vs lakers.....

purist
03-07-2012, 01:56 PM
yep you know better grey spurs fan

not better; just perspective

cheguevara
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
being destroyed by an 8th seed does that to a fanbase. Just look at mavfans

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
reminencing about the 4 rings, in the next decade of suckness...
http://i44.tinypic.com/2l94a6r.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
reminencing about the 4 rings, in the next decade of suckness...
http://i44.tinypic.com/2l94a6r.jpg

G-Dawgg
03-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Spursfans arent all negative...just Spurstalk fans.......