PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon Street

jgome21
03-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Some friends and I will be hitting up Bourbon St, NOLA for the first time for Spring Break. Any reccomemdations on what bars to hit up or any other suggestions????

lebomb
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Some friends and I will be hitting up Bourbon St, NOLA for the first time for Spring Break. Any reccomemdations on what bars to hit up or any other suggestions????

Pat O'Briens.................... :toast

leemajors
03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Bourbon Street was pretty gross, glad I didn't spend much time there. St. Charles and Magazine St. ftw.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Don't go into the alleys.

jgome21
03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Don't go into the alleys.

Ha, I'll keep that in mind.

cantthinkofanything
03-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Don't drop the soap.

CubanMustGo
03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
My wife and I enjoyed brunch here: http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/

Darth_Pelican
03-05-2012, 12:14 PM

I'd start the night off at Redfish Grill. The food is great and not too expensive. I'm not sure how old you and your friends are, but if you are younger, then the place for you guys would be Cat's Meow. There's tons of talent there, slutty and looking to hook up. If you are looking for free live music, then hit up the BBC or The Famous Door. BBC has a free upstairs balcony, so if you bring some beads up there, you are sure to see some boobs, especially during spring break. If you guys are a little older, then get a table in the courtyard or the piano bar at Pat O' Brien's. Either way, stop at Pat O's and get a Hurricane, because they make the authentic one. Do not buy a Hurricane from anywhere other than Pat O's, it will be a cheap knockoff. As far as strip clubs, the premier one to go to with the hottest girls is Rick's Cabaret. Grade A talent in which most of the times they fly girls from Vegas to dance on the weekends. If you are on a tighter budget, then go to Larry Flint's Hustler Club, they usually have some quality as well.

Enjoy your trip.

JamStone
03-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I haven't been there in like a decade and since before Katrina so I'm sure times have changed. But back then, Pat O'Brien's was the place a lot of tourists would go. Sometimes they have dueling pianos so that's cool. And the outdoor patio with the fountain at night is cool too. If you go all the way north past the gay section to Esplanade there are some cooler, less touristy bars. And if you want an even lesser touristy spot, you have to go uptown to the other side of the city, to places like the Maple Leaf. The Balcony was a spot a lot of college kids went to too when I was there. And then the late night spot we'd hit up like after 4 AM was Snake and Jakes. I wonder if it's still there. Again, all of those spots from what I remember from a decade ago.

CuckingFunt
03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
If you're coming to New Orleans and want to know what's going on, check Gambit (local entertainment newspaper that's available online) and WWOZ (90.7) if you have access to a radio while in town. Both provide thorough rundowns of live music, festivals, bars/restaurants, and other happenings on a daily basis.

Bourbon St. is gross. Locals avoid it like the plague. I love the rest of the Quarter, though, and there are tons of great bars and restaurants to check out that are less unpleasant.

Jean Lafitte's on the less touristy part of Bourbon (close to Esplanade) is a great bar, if a bit more crowded than it used to be. And they just reopened the Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone (Royal Street), which is a great spot for classier cocktails. And, also, it spins. Pravda on Decatur is good, too, and the Russian theme means a great selection of vodkas. Balcony Music Club (Decatur & Esplanade) has great live music and usually a 1-drink minimum in place of a cover.

Restaurants are hard to recommend without knowing what you'd want just because there are so many options in this city, but Clover Grill (Bourbon & Dumaine) and Camellia Grill (Chartres & Toulouse) are excellent for greasy diner fare. Especially Camellia. And Cafe du Monde is packed with tourists during the day, but is open 24/7 and coffee and beignets are a fantastic drunk food choice. Depending on the length of your stay, though, you'll probably want to look beyond the Quarter to get the most bang for your buck in terms of food. Great options in the CBD, Uptown, and Marigny, all of which are easily accessible by foot or streetcar, and in the Bywater, which would require a relatively cheap cab ride. And, as leemajors suggested, there is a TON of great stuff on the main Uptown drags -- St. Charles, Magazine, Prytania, Oak, and Freret Streets all have pockets of amazing restaurant/bar/entertainment options.

But, seriously, stay off of Bourbon. There are of course tons of people who love that scene, and if you do then at least I know you won't be stealing my spot at a better bar elsewhere, but everyone who has come to visit me has been tired of the Bourbon experience after less than five minutes. It's gross, stinks like hell, and I'm pretty sure one could get both diseased and pregnant after stepping in one of the many mystery puddles. If you want a version of debauchery that is more true to the city itself head across Esplanade to Frenchman Street. There's still plenty of public drunkenness, but the music is better. There are always multiple local bands playing, both in bars and on the streets, and a ton of bars and restaurants crammed into a two or three block stretch.

CuckingFunt
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
And then the late night spot we'd hit up like after 4 AM was Snake and Jakes. I wonder if it's still there. Again, all of those spots from what I remember from a decade ago.

Snake & Jake's Christmas Club Lounge, to be exact. And it's still a great late night spot, since it's open from 7pm-9am. Divey as a dive bar can possibly be -- it's literally a shack lit with nothing but a couple of strings of red Christmas lights -- and it gets packed with Tulane/Loyola students starting at about 1-2am, but I actually kind of love it before midnight. Being sober makes it hard to ignore the high sketch level, but it's kind of a great, chill, neighborhood bar and the bartenders are hilarious when it's quiet/empty enough to actually strike up a conversation.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I echo the "steer clear of Bourbon street" advice. If you absolutely just have to be there so you can say you went then hit it up in the afternoon, grab a hurricane at Pat O's and be out of there before the night life starts up. Cucking Funt's advice is pretty much right in line with what my aunts and uncles in Nawlins have told my brothers and I.

The sentiments of many friends who went out that way for Spring Break or Mardi Gras ended up sounding like Seth Rogen talking about the donkey show in 40 Year Old Virgin: you go there thinking it's going to be a wall to wall party packed with booze and music, that's fucking awesome! And then you get there...and it's a wall to wall party packed with music and booze that you now get the get the honor of smelling and trying to navigate.

jgome21
03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
My friends and I are in the 24-25 age group so we are lookin to get crazy. Thanks for all the advice.

JamStone
03-05-2012, 02:09 PM
If you have never gone to Bourbon Street, it's cool to experience it as long as it's not Mardi Gras or Jazzfest. It's too crazy then. But while it's disgusting, it's a unique experience. And if you're in your early 20s, the disgusting nature doesn't bother you as much. But there are cooler bars north of Bourbon and even on Decatur and on the tracks leading up to Bourbon. I mostly stayed uptown so the college bars like Balcony or the Boot were closer places I'd frequent. Mapleleaf was cool on nights they had live brass bands playing.

Lol Snake and Jakes brings back memories. I don't think I ever stopped by there earlier than 3 am. It was always the last spot if you still wanted to drink or if you were looking for weed.

CuckingFunt
03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Oh, and my last bit of advice would be to do research before you get here -- with maps and everything -- because the city can be a bit overwhelming and you'll miss the good stuff. And I don't just mean overwhelming in terms of the number of options, but also in the sense that this can be a difficult city to navigate. The Quarter is tiny and organized as a grid, so it's easy to just meander around and find things to do (one of the reasons so many tourists come and get stuck there the whole time), but the rest of the city is confusing as hell. Streets don't run in any consistent direction, new neighborhoods mean new street names and orientations, and so forth. If you have any intention of going beyond the Quarter (which, again, I strongly recommend), you'll want to at least have an idea of where you want to go and where things are geographically located within the city. Even living here for a while and feeling pretty confident in my bearings, it's ridiculously easy to get turned around without a consistent north/south orientation.

jgome21
03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure how old you and your friends are, but if you are younger, then the place for you guys would be Cat's Meow. There's tons of talent there, slutty and looking to hook up.

That's what's up.

CuckingFunt
03-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Lol Snake and Jakes brings back memories.

Then you were doing it wrong.

jgome21
03-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Lol Snake and Jakes brings back memories. I don't think I ever stopped by there earlier than 3 am. It was always the last spot if you still wanted to drink or if you were looking for weed.

haha. So, I'm assuming the bars are open past 2 a.m. unlike SA

JamStone
03-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Thankfully.

JamStone
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Not all places but certain dive bars known mostly by locals. There was this other bar I think it was called Vonn's... I think. Open til sunrise. Put your nuts on the bar, you'd get free shots.

Darth_Pelican
03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
If you have never gone to Bourbon Street, it's cool to experience it as long as it's not Mardi Gras or Jazzfest. It's too crazy then. But while it's disgusting, it's a unique experience. And if you're in your early 20s, the disgusting nature doesn't bother you as much. But there are cooler bars north of Bourbon and even on Decatur and on the tracks leading up to Bourbon. I mostly stayed uptown so the college bars like Balcony or the Boot were closer places I'd frequent. Mapleleaf was cool on nights they had live brass bands playing.

The back patio bar at Snake and Jakes was where we would go after Bruno's and Phillips. Damn those were some good times.

Darth_Pelican
03-05-2012, 02:41 PM

You will find many options of bars open till sunrise, especially on or near Bourbon St. Some of the uptown bars were also already mentioned here, but a couple of others closer to bourbon that come to mind are Gold Mine (right off of Bourbon) and Red Eye (warehouse district).

JamStone
03-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Yup we'd go to Phillips at least once a week. Is Cooter Brown's still open? That was a cool dive bar. Every beer imagineable. Is Brunos one of the campus bars? If it's the one I'm thinking they used to have penny pitcher Wednesdays.

sonnytris
03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Get out of the tourist trap and go to "Fat City" in the Metairie area out by airport AND see the real NOLA .....Its where the locals go and party

Darth_Pelican
03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Yup we'd go to Phillips at least once a week. Is Cooter Brown's still open? That was a cool dive bar. Every beer imagineable. Is Brunos one of the campus bars? If it's the one I'm thinking they used to have penny pitcher Wednesdays.

Cooter Brown's is indeed still open, and I still go there often for a shrimp poboy and the best beer selection in the city. I live on St. Charles Ave. so I can get there in about 3 mins.

Bruno's was one of the Maple St. campus bars, right next to TJ's, Phillips, Vera Cruz, etc. But the Wednesday penny pitchers was at Waldo's, not Bruno's.

Darth_Pelican
03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Get out of the tourist trap and go to "Fat City" in the Metairie area out by airport AND see the real NOLA .....Its where the locals go and party

Fat City? Lol. Only the suburb rats go to Fat City. No one who lives in New Orleans travels to Metairie to party in Fat City. Plus, just in the past couple years, there are many new laws in Fat City which the bars have to be closed by midnight on weekdays. The only good thing left in Fat City is Crazy Johnny's Steakhouse.

JamStone
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Man you're bringing me back. I lived in NO from 1997-2000. Haven't been back since 2001. But there are a ton of places I've completely forgotten about. I used to live in the uptown area right off of So. Claiborne and Jefferson. A really cool place I used to eat at was Cafe Nino's. It was a New York style Italian place, kind of fast food / buffet style. The chicken marsala was the bomb. And they made a mean Philly cheese steak too. And for you Texans, it might not be that big of a deal, but when I first got down there, I ate at a Mexican place called Tacqueria Corona. Their Mexican food was amazing (especially for me coming from Michigan where more traditional Mexican food isn't something I had a lot of). Then there was Bluebird Cafe which was great for brunch.

Darth_Pelican
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Man you're bringing me back. I lived in NO from 1997-2000. Haven't been back since 2001. But there are a ton of places I've completely forgotten about. I used to live in the uptown area right off of So. Claiborne and Jefferson. A really cool place I used to eat at was Cafe Nino's. It was a New York style Italian place, kind of fast food / buffet style. The chicken marsala was the bomb. And they made a mean Philly cheese steak too. And for you Texans, it might not be that big of a deal, but when I first got down there, I ate at a Mexican place called Tacqueria Corona. Their Mexican food was amazing (especially for me coming from Michigan where more traditional Mexican food isn't something I had a lot of). Then there was Bluebird Cafe which was great for brunch.

Cafe Nino on Carrolton is still going strong, and the big italian owner who plops huge servings on your plate is still as friendly as ever. Taqueria Corona has a few different locations now, but I've always been more of a Superior Grill guy for mexican. Bluebird Cafe's greasy breakfast is closed :(

JamStone
03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Lol I used to go to Nino's so often, by my last year there he pretty much stopped charging me.

CuckingFunt
03-05-2012, 06:06 PM

Cooter Brown's is still there. It's one of those bars I always think I should go to more often.

CuckingFunt
03-05-2012, 06:10 PM
No one who lives in New Orleans travels to Metairie to party

This.

Bluebird Cafe's greasy breakfast is closed :(

Dick & Jenny's is good for greasy breakfast, though. As is Camellia Grill. And the restaurant that is in the Bluebird's old spot (Coulis) has a killer breakfast.

Fpoonsie
03-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Is Joey K's touristy? Or has it become that way since the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives ep?

Darth_Pelican
03-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Is Joey K's touristy? Or has it become that way since the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives ep?

Joey K's is still very good, particularly the Meatloaf, Red Beans N Rice, and All you can eat Fried Catfish (not buffet style, but they bring more out for you per your request).

Dex
03-06-2012, 10:14 AM
For those who have been to both, which would you say is better, Bourbon St. or Sixth St.?

JamStone
03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't even remember what was on Sixth Street as far as bars and restaurants. There are quaint little art and book shops in the Garden District. And some of the houses are cool to look at. But I don't recall Sixth Street being a must see area. Commander's Palace is a block off Sixth. And on Magazine, there are some local bars (a lot of college kids) that are okay, near Sixth, Balcony and Bulldog. But two pretty different vibes between Bourbon and Sixth unless I'm just not remembering correctly. Plus if you go down south enough towards the water especially late at night, it becomes very, very sketchy in that area.

Joey K's red beans and rice is great. Anytime I helped organize a function or a party, we'd make a party order of red beans and rice from there. And I'm pretty sure that's the place that serves the Tchoupitoulis Trout, maybe my favorite fish dish in New Orleans.

leemajors
03-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't even remember what was on Sixth Street as far as bars and restaurants. There are quaint little art and book shops in the Garden District. And some of the houses are cool to look at. But I don't recall Sixth Street being a must see area. Commander's Palace is a block off Sixth. And on Magazine, there are some local bars (a lot of college kids) that are okay, near Sixth, Balcony and Bulldog. But two pretty different vibes between Bourbon and Sixth unless I'm just not remembering correctly. Plus if you go down south enough towards the water especially late at night, it becomes very, very sketchy in that area.

Joey K's red beans and rice is great. Anytime I helped organize a function or a party, we'd make a party order of red beans and rice from there. And I'm pretty sure that's the place that serves the Tchoupitoulis Trout, maybe my favorite fish dish in New Orleans.

I believe he was referencing 6th St. in Austin. Which is really not that great.

JamStone
03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh. Lol. My bad.

Dex
03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah, sorry...should have prefaced that.

I've done the whole Sixth thing a bunch of times. Pretty much over it at this point. Just wondering if Bourbon St. is similarly as packed, overpriced, and overrun by hipsters and guidos.

coyotes_geek
03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
If you're over the 6th street experience it won't take you long to be over the Bourbon street one. JMO of course...

leemajors
03-06-2012, 02:58 PM

I've done the whole Sixth thing a bunch of times. Pretty much over it at this point. Just wondering if Bourbon St. is similarly as packed, overpriced, and overrun by hipsters and guidos.

You can get drinks to go, or stop in a liquor store, get a cup, and walk around. This can never, ever be underrated.

Dex
03-06-2012, 03:03 PM
You can get drinks to go, or stop in a liquor store, get a cup, and walk around. This can never, ever be underrated.

Nice, that's a big difference right there. Something invigorating about carrying your drink around with you on the street...reminds me of Vegas.

JamStone
03-06-2012, 03:12 PM

No prob. I've never been to Austin so it didn't automatically click for me to think that...

I'll say this about Bourbon Street. Even though you do get over it pretty quickly, it's still one of the most unique "party" experiences you'll have in the United States. There's just nothing really quite like it anywhere else. It is disgusting. It is seedy. It is filthy. But going there for your first time or maybe even first couple times for some people, it can be pretty cool. The food, the music, the balconies over the street, the open container laws, the culture make it just a really different experience than any other similar type of restaurant/bar rows in other cities.

And even if it's not your scene on first stepping into that area, it's easily escapable, which is important to consider. If you really think it sucks, walk up a few streets north past Esplanade and go to Frenchman Street as CF suggested. Or it's just a couple blocks east to Decatur Street and there are less filthy, less crowded, less gross places to hang out. And it's just a matter of a few walking minutes away.

Fpoonsie
03-06-2012, 04:11 PM

That.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/17360_1350664011238_1370495979_961367_3445384_n.jp g