Bruno
03-05-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_thomas_robinson.jpg
Born: Mar 17, 1991
Height: 6-10 / 2.08
Weight: 237 lbs. / 107.5 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country: Kansas / USA
Years Pro: R

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/thomas_robinson/career_stats.html)

flox
05-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Houston Rockets plan to trade Thomas Robinson to free up cap space for run at Dwight Howard

The Rockets have made clear to multiple rival teams that they plan to accept the best offer to move Robinson and eliminate his $3.52 million salary for the 2013-14 season. The Rockets are targeting teams with the cap space to absorb Robinson's contract. The Rockets are trying to cobble together a package that could include assets such as a trade exception, a draft pick or non-guaranteed contracts that they can be unloaded, sources said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--houston-rockets-trying-to-trade-thomas-robinson-to-free-up-cap-space-for-run-at-dwight-howard-215915027.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--houston-rockets-trying-to-trade-thomas-robinson-to-free-up-cap-space-for-run-at-dwight-howard-215915027.html)

This is something maybe the Spurs could get in on? We have cap space this offseason, so we can give them a TPE and draft picks if necessary.

Ditty
05-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I thought Robinson looked average this season, but I think in the Spurs system he would flourish in the Spurs pick n roll system. I don't know if the Rockets would want to do a trade with a division rival, but a not fully guaranteed contract like Matt Bonner, a player the Rockets were trying to go after a few years (De Colo), and possibly a future first round draft pick would be a fair trade.

Bruno
05-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Robinson+#34 for Bonner sounds good.

benefactor
05-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Robinson+#34 for Bonner sounds good.
:tu:tu

lmbebo
05-30-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm up for a trade, if one can be worked out. Good prospect. But trade would have to increase Rockets salary cap space. I don't think Bonner straight up would accomplish that.

benefactor
05-30-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm up for a trade, if one can be worked out. Good prospect. But trade would have to increase Rockets salary cap space. I don't think Bonner straight up would accomplish that.
It would be a salary dump. The Rockets would waive Bonner and only have to pay him 1 million. The move would cut over 2.5 million of salary.

Anonymous Cowherd
05-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Bonner only counts for $1m towards the cap though, right? So he can be used for cap space. I'm sure Bruno can explain this better.

Bruno
05-30-2013, 06:23 PM
That's Houston likely cap situation:
Harden: $13.7M
Asik: $8.4M
Lin: $8.4M
Robinson: $3.5M
White: $1.7M
Jones: $1.6M
Motiejunas: $1.4M
Parsons: $0.9M
Smith: $0.9M
Beverley: $0.8M
Honeycutt*: $0.1M
2 cap fold: $1.0M

Total: $42.4M

With a $60M cap, they have $17.6M in cap space.
With a $62M cap, they have $19.6M in cap space.

Howard max salary is $20.5M.

Houston can save $0.4M by cutting Smith, they can save $0.6M by using the stretch provision on White. A Robinson for Bonner trade, will create $2M in cap space for them.

Anonymous Cowherd
05-30-2013, 06:26 PM
From Houston's POV is there any benefit to trading T-Rob for Bonner's waivable contract and a pick, rather than simply trading him for the highest pick they can acquire on its own?

benefactor
05-30-2013, 06:37 PM
From Houston's POV is there any benefit to trading T-Rob for Bonner's waivable contract and a pick, rather than simply trading him for the highest pick they can acquire on its own?
Getting Howard is the ultimate goal so it doesn't really matter how they go about it. They will shed the necessary salary by whatever means necessary. I don't know many teams that will burn 3.5 million in cap space to take him...much less send a pick back.

Bruno
05-30-2013, 06:51 PM
The key is how Robinson is valued around the league. To me, he has a negative trade value: he has had a bad rookie year and has a big contract.

benefactor
05-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Agreed. With the new cap rules there are very few teams that would take a chance on him for the money he's getting. For the Spurs it works because it's basically a lateral move salary-wise next season and they can decide not to pick up his option for the following season if it seems like he's not going to pan out.

freetiago
05-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Robinson doesnt seem like a good player
physically dominated weaker competition and has been shown to have no actual basketball skills when hes matched up vs guys with his size or more since hes a PF
but anything to get Bonner off the team is a + for me
if they get Howard they would probably be trying to get rid of Asik too
Spurs dont have the assets Houston would want but if there was even a small chance i would go for him

but he does actually remind me a lot of JJ Hickson who was trash on the Kings
and went on to being a double double machine and one of the best rebounders in the NBA after leaving

td4mvp2k
05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Spurs dont have the assets Houston would want but if there was even a small chance i would go for him+ its da spurs

maverick1948
05-30-2013, 08:41 PM
The first question for us is, Is Robinson worth bringing in. We know he came from a solid college program, Kansas. Runner up in NCAA tournament. #2 rebounder in NCAA and #1 defensive rebounder. He has size and ability plus he can be taught a lot by our staff. Looking at what we have for next season, cap space, and a need for a big man to replace Bonner and Blair. We resign Splitter and Manu for reasonable contracts. We will have room to take Robinsons contract. I dont think we need to even send Bonner to Houston. They are looking for salary dump for Howard. If we offer a second round pick and Lorbek's contract, it would fit their desire for dumping the salary and still get a pick in return. If it becomes a problem, I say offer a protected 1st round 2015 pick. I think Robinson could grow into a solid player in the Spurs system. A #5 pick for a second round pick and Lorbek contract or even the first round would be worth it.

Captivus
05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Sadly he didn't play a lot with the Rockets, I think he can improve.
He averaged only 13 minutes with the Rockets, but per 36 he had 12.5 Pts - 11.2 Reb - 2.3 Stl. NOT BAD!
Bads: Bad jumpshot and FT shooter. Can the Spurs fix that? The Spurs need some Off. Reb.and putbacks.

I'm interested.

Chinook
05-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Honestly, this is the type of move I'd like to see the Spurs make this off-season. I'd rather them re-sign all their players and try to trade and/use the MLE to fill the gaps. This team doesn't really need much, and if they trade for Robinson, bring over Bertans and sign a vet to back up Leonard, I think that would make a good off-season.

That being said, I can't imagine the Spurs paying that much for a player unless they intend to use him in the rotation. So the question is where he'd fit. Would he be the back up center and play next to Diaw, or would he be able to develop into the starting power-forward to play next to Duncan? I think some time in Austin could do him some good, but that's a lot of money to pay for a multi-year project.

Spursfanfromafar
05-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Robinson got into two bad situations in his rookie year. Played in a selfish Kings squad that had every team member wanting shots for himself. And then got traded to a Rockets team that was structured on floor spacing and perimeter play requiring him to play stretch-forward which is not him.

Robinson's ceiling is a good role player in the future who can defend the post, rebound and bang inside. Certainly worth trying a trade with the Rockets by exchanging him for Bonner.

Mal
05-31-2013, 02:26 AM
#5 pick to Spurs for Bonner. I`d take it.

Seventyniner
05-31-2013, 09:00 AM
I'd definitely do Bonner for Robinson straight up. At worst, the Spurs could decline Robinson's option next summer and let him go. The #34 pick would be a bonus.

CGD
05-31-2013, 12:09 PM
It would be a salary dump. The Rockets would waive Bonner and only have to pay him 1 million. The move would cut over 2.5 million of salary.

[Preface: I'm not advocating for this]. How does the new CBA impact a teams ability to resign a recently waived player, which it traded to another team? e.g., Spurs trade Bonner to Houston, Houston waives him, and Spurs attempt to resign.

benefactor
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Full year iirc.

szkorhetz
05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
If it only takes Bon-Bon, I am all in. Guy has huge potential, good body but need veteran leadership. I want him.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 01:10 PM
[Preface: I'm not advocating for this]. How does the new CBA impact a teams ability to resign a recently waived player, which it traded to another team? e.g., Spurs trade Bonner to Houston, Houston waives him, and Spurs attempt to resign.

Indeed, Benefactor is correct. From the CBA FAQ:

team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season.

The Spurs could trade Bonner during the draft, then trade for him again in July, but that's just a silly scenario to consider, as the Spurs could just agree to take Robinson for an exception after the moratorium.

CGD
05-31-2013, 05:48 PM
That's Houston likely cap situation:
Harden: $13.7M
Asik: $8.4M
Lin: $8.4M
Robinson: $3.5M
White: $1.7M
Jones: $1.6M
Motiejunas: $1.4M
Parsons: $0.9M
Smith: $0.9M
Beverley: $0.8M
Honeycutt*: $0.1M
2 cap fold: $1.0M

Total: $42.4M

With a $60M cap, they have $17.6M in cap space.
With a $62M cap, they have $19.6M in cap space.

Howard max salary is $20.5M.

Houston can save $0.4M by cutting Smith, they can save $0.6M by using the stretch provision on White. A Robinson for Bonner trade, will create $2M in cap space for them.

if they cut Smith, forget Robinson, go and get Smith. I liked what I saw out of him this past year.

Bruno
06-01-2013, 06:14 PM
IMO, Spurs interest in Robinson will depend on whether or not they think he can get a reliable midrange jumpshot by working with Chip. If he can't hit the 10-15 ft jumpshot, his future in the NBA looks quite bleak.

dbestpro
06-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Dallas is shopping their first round pick for a salary dump. Maybe Lorbek's rights could be used there.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-02-2013, 01:55 PM
that lakers series was so epic. texas teams are now considering salary dumping lottery talent to the spurs! the spurs have completely mind fucked the league.

SenorSpur
06-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Dallas is shopping their first round pick for a salary dump. Maybe Lorbek's rights could be used there.

It's unlikely that Cuban would ever do business with the Spurs.

Mal
06-03-2013, 03:57 AM

Rockets probably wont too. They all will be looking outside the division.

99 Problems
06-03-2013, 04:44 AM

I heard Mavs were hot on Schroder at 13.

jesterbobman
06-03-2013, 05:43 AM
I don't get the no trade within division. NBA teams play their divisional foes 4 times a year, they play 36 games against the other 10 teams in conference, 3.6 times per season. It shouldn't be an obstacle to a deal. I get it with NFL trades, where Division is more important, but Divisions don't really have much important in the structure of the NBA.

exstatic
06-03-2013, 09:31 PM

We can offer pretty much the most cap relief of anyone he could deal with: taking the cap hold slot for #13 and conveying Bonner's $1M only guaranteed deal. If he really wants Howard, there's likely not an easier deal to clear the room.

Bonner for #13, VC and James. That saves Dallas ~ $2.6M plus the cap figure for #13. If the did Morrow, instead, they'd save another $400K on the salary difference.

Master splitter
06-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm all in for the T-ROB trade..would be a great backup pf. These top picks get abbused by mediocre teams by limiting their minutes. His jump shot can be improved just like kawai. This would be a steal in my opinion.

Stump
06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Thomas Robinson should obviously be viewed differently as a prospect than he was last year, but some of you might like a youtube breakdown of his skills from 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dpzna9UZazQ

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm all in for the T-ROB trade..would be a great backup pf. These top picks get abbused by mediocre teams by limiting their minutes. His jump shot can be improved just like kawai. This would be a steal in my opinion.

Spurs should trade for this guy. He would be an upgrade over Blair in size and durability and I am sure he will work with Chip on improving his jumper. Of all the potential FA and trade targets, this is the one guy I hope the Spurs really pursue. He has tremendous athleticism for a 6'10" player, he just needs to work on his fundamentals, which the Spurs coaching staff are an expert of developing.

I think he could be a future all-star caliber player if he goes to the right organization. He has the talent, just needs to right coaching at this point.

elemento
06-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Spurs should trade for this guy. He would be an upgrade over Blair in size and durability and I am sure he will work with Chip on improving his jumper. Of all the potential FA and trade targets, this is the one guy I hope the Spurs really pursue. He has tremendous athleticism for a 6'10" player, he just needs to work on his fundamentals, which the Spurs coaching staff are an expert of developing.

I think he could be a future all-star caliber player if he goes to the right organization. He has the talent, just needs to right coaching at this point.

He is not a 6'10 player.

6'7'75 without shoes and 1 inch taller in shoes according to draftexpress. I am not sure about the future all-star caliber player either. When a rookie can't even complete his 1st year with the team that drafted him and then he is shopped around the league right after, there's got be something "wrong" that we don't know about him.

Look, if SA can land him for nothing (like Bonner's expiring and a 2nd) I wouldn't mind him at all. But I think our expectations shouldn't be that high.

exstatic
06-18-2013, 07:15 PM
He is not a 6'10 player.

6'7'75 without shoes and 1 inch taller in shoes according to draftexpress. I am not sure about the future all-star caliber player either. When a rookie can't even complete his 1st year with the team that drafted him and then he is shopped around the league right after, there's got be something "wrong" that we don't know about him.

Look, if SA can land him for nothing (like Bonner's expiring and a 2nd) I wouldn't mind him at all. But I think our expectations shouldn't be that high.

If that's the case, the Spurs already know about it, and won't touch him. RC's best friend is Kansas coach Bill Self. He'd tell any tales that needed telling.

Raven
06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
He is not a 6'10 player.

well it's not really a secret what his problems are, he can't make a jumper from 1ft, can't make a ft either, is not a great defender and has a low bball iq. honestly, he has nothing other than a decent (not above average) combination athleticism-size

cdcast
06-21-2013, 02:08 AM
Spurs already have their project big for next season.....Baynes. They need a legit big, Robinson ain't it.

Chinook
06-21-2013, 02:13 AM
If the Spurs think they can fix his jump shot (big if) and that he has the mental makeup for the team, they should totally trade for him. The team's most-successful recent acquisitions have been players that no one wanted that they developed into solid rotation players. Outside of Diaw, they haven't been as successful with ready-made players. I'd rather see a Robinson or Derrick Williams over a Millsap if the team believes in those players' potential.

TE
06-21-2013, 05:08 AM
If the Spurs think they can fix his jump shot (big if)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Chip_engelland.jpg/220px-Chip_engelland.jpg

SpursSerb
06-22-2013, 03:07 AM
Marc Stein: Some draft scuttle: Rockets have been offered chance to shed contract of PF Thomas Robinson for first-round pick in next Thursday's draft (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html) Twitter @ESPNSteinLine (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html)

smaka
06-22-2013, 03:26 AM
^I saw that on Twitter and wonder if it was from the Spurs?

SpursSerb
06-22-2013, 03:30 AM
You don't think they can get better than 28th pick?

exstatic
06-22-2013, 08:48 AM
You don't think they can get better than 28th pick?

There are two competing scenarios going on right now: Houston and Thomas Robinson, and Dallas #13 pick + Carter. Both HOU and DAL are trying to clear about the same amount of cap space, and there are only a few teams with an expiring contract or the cap room to absorb the contract(s) outright. Since there are two teams needing cap help, neither is in a position of strength in the negotiations.

Seventyniner
06-22-2013, 10:23 AM
If the Rockets are going to draft-and-stash anyway, they might prefer the 28th pick over the 13th because most stashable players should still be available at 28 and the 28th pick's salary is less when he does come over.

CGD
06-22-2013, 11:19 AM
There are two competing scenarios going on right now: Houston and Thomas Robinson, and Dallas #13 pick + Carter. Both HOU and DAL are trying to clear about the same amount of cap space, and there are only a few teams with an expiring contract or the cap room to absorb the contract(s) outright. Since there are two teams needing cap help, neither is in a position of strength in the negotiations.

i think ATL may need to make a small move too if they think they can land both CP3 and Howard so they can offer two max deals. They may want to make a move like Dallas with one of their picks.

CGD
06-22-2013, 11:28 AM
If the Rockets are going to draft-and-stash anyway, they might prefer the 28th pick over the 13th because most stashable players should still be available at 28 and the 28th pick's salary is less when he does come over.

I don't think he was suggesting that they would be trade partners with each other, rather that those are deals teams like the Spurs might have on the table if they are able to offer relief in return. Spurs ability to absorb the 3M (carter or robinson) is key. Bonner's deal also becomes important here as a chip the Spurs have to offer.

as between Robison, Gobert, and Adams, I rank Robinson last. Therefore I am inclined to deal with Dallas if Adams or Gobert are available at 13.

SpursSerb
06-22-2013, 04:49 PM

As i understand,Houston wants draft pick for Robinson,they are not mentioning expiring contracts.If they only want draft pick,can they get higher pick than the 28th?Is there any difference for their cap space if they draft & stash 28th or for instance 20th pick?Does a stashed player hurts their cap space?

As for Dallas situation,Cleveland seems to be the front runners to take their 13th pick.They are willing to take Marions contract.