PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft Prospect: Austin Rivers

Bruno
03-05-2012, 01:38 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2012/0209/dm_120209_ncb_austin_rivers_as_a__pro.jpg
Height: 6-5
Weight: 203 lbs
Birthday: 08/01/1992
College: Duke

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Rivers-5743/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/austin-rivers)

noob cake
03-21-2012, 05:07 AM
No....only if he falls into the late 20s, dont like his size he reminds me of Neal. I dont see the upside. Think he will be the 4th best sg out of this class.

Will either be a complete scrub or absolute steal at late lotto/early 20's.

mountainballer
06-16-2012, 09:16 AM
funny scene in the draft camp interview from Austin Rivers.
(btw. he is definitely one of the smartest and more eloquent guys in this draft)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Rivers-5743/

he is talking about the importance of going to the right place and that he prefers to go lower, if that team is the right place. he talks about David Falk taking care of that. after being asked what teams are on that list, he mentiones some (starting at 2:20), (New Orleans, Cleveland, Portland...) suddenly naming San Antonio and immediately correcting himself (ah, I mean Phoenix).
I laughed and thought: it was 99% just a verbal error (maybe a Freudian slip when thinking about "the right place"), but we have some guys here, who could see a Leonard 2.0 move in the works with some CIA Pop actions in the background.:stirpot:

btw. T2S giving him a negative review makes this guy a star in the making by default.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-16-2012, 11:11 AM
funny scene in the draft camp interview from Austin Rivers.
(btw. he is definitely one of the smartest and more eloquent guys in this draft)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Rivers-5743/

he is talking about the importance of going to the right place and that he prefers to go lower, if that team is the right place. he talks about David Falk taking care of that. after being asked what teams are on that list, he mentiones some (starting at 2:20), (New Orleans, Cleveland, Portland...) suddenly naming San Antonio and immediately correcting himself (ah, I mean Phoenix).
I laughed and thought: it was 99% just a verbal error (maybe a Freudian slip when thinking about "the right place"), but we have some guys here, who could see a Leonard 2.0 move in the works with some CIA Pop actions in the background.:stirpot:

btw. T2S giving him a negative review makes this guy a star in the making by default.

I wonder if that rumored trade for SA to get #10/Okafor is a go, after all.

He's taller and more agile than Neal, and in any other way, like balls, being "like Neal" isn't a bad thing. If he's anything like his old man, he has that indefinable "Jack" quality.

tesseractive
06-16-2012, 02:10 PM
He's definitely a gamer, but the criticism that he doesn't look for the pass adds a modest risk to the fit. I guess it comes down to what you think his attitude is -- if he thinks he's God's gift to basketball, it's a problem. If he's coachable, then you get him used to working off screens, hitting some catch and shoots, and making the pass. Put in a lot of hours developing a pull-up jumper. At that point you have a 2 guard that has as complete an offensive game as pretty much any guard not named Kobe, and a guy that likes the closer role on top of that.

There's no such thing as a replacement for Manu -- he's one of a kind. But as long as you have confidence in Rivers' attitude and coachability, he could give you many of the same kinds of things -- maybe even better as a pure scorer, but without the brilliant X-Factor passing and purely-instinctual unpredictable moves.

I don't know what we'd have to give up to be in a position to draft him, but it would be one hell of a pickup.

SamoanTD
06-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Hmmmmm he has to get better at distributing but he is still young he's got that I wanna win attitude he can handle the ball and penetrate. Dont think it is possible to get him unless we move into the 1st round. Not gonna hold my breath on everyone talkiing about trading for Okafor and the 10th pick.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Hmmmmm he has to get better at distributing but he is still young he's got that I wanna win attitude he can handle the ball and penetrate. Dont think it is possible to get him unless we move into the 1st round. Not gonna hold my breath on everyone talkiing about trading for Okafor and the 10th pick.

I'd say $20M is a pretty good value for that #10 pick. :smokin

DPG21920
06-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I am not super high on him, but I think he has potential. It would be pretty special IMO to get a guy with his talent to be able to start at SG and kind of fall in line with a guy like Kawhi at the 3 to really transition into the now and future of youth/athletes.

He seems to need a strong lockerroom and getting to a place like SA could be a very good thing for him.

MR-Clutch
06-19-2012, 03:12 PM
I am not super high on him, but I think he has potential. It would be pretty special IMO to get a guy with his talent to be able to start at SG and kind of fall in line with a guy like Kawhi at the 3 to really transition into the now and future of youth/athletes.

He seems to need a strong lockerroom and getting to a place like SA could be a very good thing for him.

Well said. I like his competitiveness, and he always wants to guard the other teams best player.He has that first explosive step that could really make him an asset in the Pick N roll. If he could learn to pass, and I think he could because he wants to be great, we would have ourselves another player that's capable of creating for themselves and others. Would love to see this kid develop with Kawhi.

Libri
06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Saying San Antonio and then Phoenix was awkward. Maybe there is something in the works.

baseline bum
06-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I love how Rivers and Beal have both grown a couple of inches these last 3 months or so. :lol

racm
06-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Would probably be a late first rounder if his dad wasn't Doc Rivers tbh

Wild Cobra Kai
06-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Would probably be a late first rounder if his dad wasn't Doc Rivers tbh

It's not who is father is, its' what he's like. Doc is no non-sense, and isn't going to let hangers on inflate the kid's ego, and he's going to make him work for everything.

SenorSpur
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Just for kicks, I'd love Pop to get a hold of this kid. It would be great to watch Pop give him a dose of good, old-fashioned hard coaching and tough love.

ace3g
06-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Interesting that Austin Rivers only working out for Hornets, Raptors, Blazers, Wizards & Cavs. That's 3-11 range. No workout for Suns.