PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late for Pop to make the Duncan/Splitter combo work?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-05-2012, 02:21 PM
The Playoffs start in 7 weeks and Pop has barely played TD and Splitter together.

Granted Splitter has been injured for a short period of time, but considering that Spurs don't even give their 5th bigs much playing time, we are always going to be stuck with the Bonner/Blair combo.

Is it too late for Pop to find a way to make it work? Will he still care to make it work? Seeing as to how much he still loves small ball, will Pop wake up and try to use size as an advantage or will RJ continue to be the go to go guy at the 4 spot in crunch time?

Time is running out.

jermaine
03-05-2012, 02:33 PM
It doesn't matta, Pop punkass will never play them together!

Ditty
03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Great post.

I still see the Spurs picking up 2 big man by the trade deadline by trade(Anderson,Green or GH Trade Exception), and a big man being bought out. As one of them hopefully will be starting with Duncan in the playoffs, and sending Blair to the end of the bench hopefully.

Paranoid Pop
03-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't know if it's too late, we still have games against the lakers, would be interesting to test it against their front line. The better question would be when will it be too late to recruit/trade for a big, maybe it is already too late for Pop. Not getting K-Mart hurts tbh.

Robz4000
03-05-2012, 02:39 PM
It's too late. Unless there's a trade in the works or the Spurs have their eye on someone whose gonna be bought out, the team is 1st round fodder. I'm actually beginning to think Pop realizes this and that there's no real way to get the Spurs in a position to get/do better and is looking to next season/retirement.

suitedkings
03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Only if Blair starts eating at Whataburger regularly again.

timvp
03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Nazr didn't begin starting until April 10th in 2005. During the 2007 playoffs, Oberto began the playoffs on the bench before eventually taking over for an ineffective Elson.

There's time. Unfortunately, Pop's not showing any signs of going that direction.

Paranoid Pop
03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
TP just said on his radio show that he doesn't know about any recruiting move but that the FO was always working on improving the team and that renforcing the front line wouldn't hurt, someone who could do the dirty work, block shots...

Amuseddaysleeper
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Nazr didn't begin starting until April 10th in 2005. During the 2007 playoffs, Oberto began the playoffs on the bench before eventually taking over for an ineffective Elson.

There's time. Unfortunately, Pop's not showing any signs of going that direction.

And that's the biggest problem.

Also, the April schedule is brutal as we have a lot of back to backs and even a b2b2b (two more of those before season is up) so you know Pop is going to tank some games to save on the wear and tear.

I have to say that I have given up on Tiago/Duncan starting together, but at least find a way for them to close games before it is too late. Without it, I can barely see the Spurs having any favorable matchups in the first round.

chazley
03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Duncan/splitter have been horrible together, and both are significantly better when paired with bonner over one another. Not sure what the fascination is with wanting them to play significant minutes together without the practice time needed to make the combo effective.

mexicanjunior
03-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Duncan/splitter have been horrible together, and both are significantly better when paired with bonner over one another. Not sure what the fascination is with wanting them to play significant minutes together without the practice time needed to make the combo effective.

The defense when they are paired together is significantly better. The only way the team's offense will improve with Duncan and Splitter on the floor is continued playing time to build chemistry. Pop doesn't seem to have any interest in that though, he is ready to just roll the same rotation into the playoffs as last season...hence why the same results are expected.

lefty
03-05-2012, 04:35 PM
It's too late for anything, really

Spur|n|Austin
03-05-2012, 04:41 PM

Yeah, I also don't understand the huge fascination that everyone seems to have for them to play together. I understand our defensive presence in the paint is much better with the two of them out there, but the way people are begging for it makes it seem like it would be the return of The Twin Towers. We need to make a trade before the deadline and that's the bottom line.

antarescrane
03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
No no no, anyone with a brain would understand that you can't win in the playoffs unless your players play well together. Why does starting matter so much to you? Would you rather have a bonner blair backcourt? Also tim's jumpshot isn't exceptional right now, if you have been watching the games. Splitter should probably get starter minutes, but he should not start on this team with the current lack of depth big men.

therealtruth
03-05-2012, 05:10 PM
The defense when they are paired together is significantly better. The only way the team's offense will improve with Duncan and Splitter on the floor is continued playing time to build chemistry. Pop doesn't seem to have any interest in that though, he is ready to just roll the same rotation into the playoffs as last season...hence why the same results are expected.

The defense is a given. With the way this team struggles to keep up with athletic teams TD/TS offers a safety net that allow them to challenge perimeter shots better and keep teams out of the paint. The teams gives up too many open shots due to bad help defense.

It's not just the chemistry on offense. They have to run the right plays to make effective use of them and to exploit matchups. Splitter will probably beast on alot of small ball power forwards.

TD 21
03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
It's not going to happen. He won't start them together and the only chance they close together is in certain match-ups (Lakers, Grizzlies, possibly Rockets). In one match-up, Jefferson will (Thunder, because they close with Durant playing the four). But the majority of the time, it's going to be Bonner.

Which is exactly why they need to make a trade. But they won't, not pertaining to this issue, at least. I guess they figure they've got another 6 or 8 good years left in Duncan and Ginobili, so they can afford to throw another one in the garbage.

hater
03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
It's too late for anything, really

:tu

wake up. we won't get any miracle last minute bigman. No, Pop won't play Duncan and Splitter together, until we are losing by double digits in a playoff elimination game.

ElNono
03-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Pop seemingly has no intentions of running that combo together for extended time. Thus, whether there's enough time or not, doesn't really matter, IMO

tenbeersbold
03-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Whatever Splitter did when he first came here seems to me has earned him no love from Pop.Right or wrong,something isn't clicking btwn those two and hence his low minutes in general .I actually see Pop if he stays trading Splitter,it seems to be that bad for whatever reason

Fabbs
03-05-2012, 06:55 PM
There is still time to fire Pop.
But it won't happen with all the SpursSheep continuing to fund him.

Look for a trade for Luke Walton to contunue Pops swishy SF/PF brigade.

I Heart Ginobili
03-05-2012, 07:09 PM
It's not going to happen. He won't start them together and the only chance they close together is in certain match-ups (Lakers, Grizzlies, possibly Rockets). In one match-up, Jefferson will (Thunder, because they close with Durant playing the four). But the majority of the time, it's going to be Bonner.

:tu

Duncan and Splitter are both centers. Bonner and Blair are Pf's. There is no reason to play both our centers at the same time unless the matchup calls for it. And even at that it would only clog up the lane for our drive and kick offense and stagnate the flow of the game. The pros to the defense most likely wouldn't outweigh the cons to the offense.

SA210
03-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Tiago and Tim need to play together.

jjktkk
03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
There is still time to fire Pop.
But it won't happen with all the SpursSheep continuing to fund him.

Look for a trade for Luke Walton to contunue Pops swishy SF/PF brigade.

By all the "SpursSheep", do you mean the 99% of NBA coaches, execs, and fans who think Pop is one of the best coaches?

therealtruth
03-06-2012, 12:10 AM
By all the "SpursSheep", do you mean the 99% of NBA coaches, execs, and fans who think Pop is one of the best coaches?

Pop's playing with house money now from winning the 4 championships.

Spurs da champs
03-06-2012, 12:27 AM
It's never too late, but Pop is Pop he's never wrong.

Manufan909
03-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't care much anymore for both starting, but in the POs it will be vital that both average 25-40 mpg. Sadly that will be nothing like the regular season, so hopefully the Big 3 and everyone else can handle the transition. Pop will know how to make sure there is as little overlap as possible. Against LAL, CHI, MEM, and a couple other teams Splitter must be subbed in first if Blair can't be at least slight positive.

silverblk mystix
03-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Pop will just keep Nellie-balling until Timmy, TP & Manu retire....

4 rings though...

silverblk mystix
03-06-2012, 12:37 AM

I'm pretty sure he meant all the idiots like you who worship this clown...

jjktkk
03-06-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm pretty sure he meant all the idiots like you who worship this clown...

Curious why you only post after a loss? Your kinda like a rat only coming out when everybody goes to bed. :lol

silverblk mystix
03-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Curious why you only post after a loss? Your kinda like a rat only coming out when everybody goes to bed. :lol

I post all the time...I actually thought Denver deserved this win...they played hard for 48 minutes...spurs didn't...

also the spurs have been winning pretty consistently...but it is obvious to anyone who isn't riding Pop's nutz that if TD/Splitter don't see time on the court together...the spurs aren't going anywhere...

sucks for you that you can't see anything while wearing Popglasses...

roycrikside
03-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Actually, I think one of the main reasons that Duncan-Splitter don't play together is because Pop has figured out Bonner-Blair is a defensive abomination. If you've been paying attention, you'll notice that Bonner-Blair have hardly played together this season except for the games either Splitter or Duncan missed.

Pop goes with Duncan-Blair or Duncan-Bonner, and with Splitter-Bonner. It's why Blair's minutes are so low (because he sucks) he only pretty much plays with Duncan.

jjktkk
03-06-2012, 02:04 AM
I post all the time...I actually thought Denver deserved this win...they played hard for 48 minutes...spurs didn't...

also the spurs have been winning pretty consistently...but it is obvious to anyone who isn't riding Pop's nutz that if TD/Splitter don't see time on the court together...the spurs aren't going anywhere...

sucks for you that you can't see anything while wearing Popglasses...

Which keeps your shitty takes to a minimium tbh. At least the other dumbfucks try to be credible with their Pop hate, even when the Spurs are winning. :lol

therealtruth
03-06-2012, 04:21 AM
Actually, I think one of the main reasons that Duncan-Splitter don't play together is because Pop has figured out Bonner-Blair is a defensive abomination. If you've been paying attention, you'll notice that Bonner-Blair have hardly played together this season except for the games either Splitter or Duncan missed.

Pop goes with Duncan-Blair or Duncan-Bonner, and with Splitter-Bonner. It's why Blair's minutes are so low (because he sucks) he only pretty much plays with Duncan.

Trying to limit the effect of the turd towers isn't a winning strategy.

ChumpDumper
03-06-2012, 04:36 AM
Trying to limit the effect of the turd towers isn't a winning strategy.So maximizing its effect is?

Fireball
03-06-2012, 04:53 AM

Not starting them together because of what you said is one thing, but with giving Splitter 2 stints per half instead of 1 Tim and Tiago could at least end a half together ... Splitter must be able to play 30 minutes per game or we will get torched in the playoffs again ...

TJastal
03-06-2012, 06:59 AM
It's too late. Unless there's a trade in the works or the Spurs have their eye on someone whose gonna be bought out, the team is 1st round fodder. I'm actually beginning to think Pop realizes this and that there's no real way to get the Spurs in a position to get/do better and is looking to next season/retirement.

Pop ain't realizing shit. Pop still stubbornly thinks his system players and small balls is gonna work. If he had a clue about playoff basketball (which obviously he doesn't) he'd be starting to integrate more Splitter/Duncan as a safety precaution in case of striking out at the trade deadline.

Have you seen Splitter/Duncan on the court together recently? Neither have I.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 07:08 AM

That's all fine and good, but as a previous poster mentioned, Splitter should be starting to log upwards of 30 minutes a game if the spurs are to have any hope of having an adequate defense in a playoff setting. That will necessitate that Splitter and Duncan see the court together so Pop should be starting to integrate Splitter more. But he isn't for some reason.

The blockhead must have had a temporary "epiphany" last year that the team needed Splitter's size on the court against the grizzlies (albeit when it was too late to do anything about it). This whole cute little footsie game he's playing with Tiago and Tim not being on the court together is as short sighted as it gets.

mystargtr34
03-06-2012, 07:19 AM

Popology accepted.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Good lord you're a buffoon. You're really using the "no practice time" excuse now? So whose fault is that? :lmao

And as far as I know Pop can schedule practices still. And with the skills and intelligence of those two (Tiago and Tim) I doubt they would even need one. Just some diagramming on a plane trip & a little game time together would be enough I'd wager. I would bet the farm that once they got comfortable they would be fucking great together.

Hundreds of opportunities have bee there (and have been there all along) to get these two comfortable playing together but Pop has missed every one. People are tired of the excuses of why it isn't getting done. The last thing spurs fans want to see is another repeat of last year's debacle when Pop had to put the team deep in a hole in order to finally do something.

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Two things are obvious and while we all like to debate things around here we all fail to ignore what is actually happening in favor of what we want to happen:

1) Pop doesn't think Tiago is the player many of us do. It's evidenced by his many candid comments about the evaluation of his game.

2) Pop trusts Bonner more than Tiago at this point and doesn't feel Tiago can shoulder any more minutes than he is getting.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Two things are obvious and while we all like to debate things around here we all fail to ignore what is actually happening in favor of what we want to happen:

1) Pop doesn't think Tiago is the player many of us do. It's evidenced by his many candid comments about the evaluation of his game.

2) Pop trusts Bonner more than Tiago at this point and doesn't feel Tiago can shoulder any more minutes than he is getting.

Yep, that about sums it up. Every time Splitter has a great game and shows more confidence to take it to the next level Pop kicks him in the groin and laughs.

Fabbs
03-06-2012, 10:42 AM

1. Like "because he missed training camp, that's my excuse for not playing him". Real candid.

2. min per game
20.9 Bonner
20.7 Splitter
Virtually identical. We are talking about Duncs playing with Splitter. Try to keep up.
"Pop trusts Bonner more then Tiago....."
Yeah that's been a playoff winnin combo. :lmao:lmao

Borosai
03-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't see Duncan and Splitter playing many minutes together with the current roster. Their roles are the same and it would weaken the rotation (yeah, Bonner and Blair together). But I do hope Pop realizes that he'll need their combined size at times.

In an ideal world the Spurs would pick up another big.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I don't see Duncan and Splitter playing many minutes together with the current roster. Their roles are the same and it would weaken the rotation (yeah, Bonner and Blair together). But I do hope Pop realizes that he'll need their combined size at times.

In an ideal world the Spurs would pick up another big.

How are their roles the same? Splitter is doing most of his work nowadays inside the paint, Duncan outside. It's no different than Blair and Duncan, except those two have two solid years of experience doing it already and Tiago and Tim have about 5 minutes of garbage time.

Seriously why do you people keep making this shyt up? It's really annoying as heck.

ChumpDumper
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
How are their roles the same? Splitter is doing most of his work nowadays inside the paint, Duncan outside. It's no different than Blair and Duncan, except those two have two solid years of experience doing it already and Tiago and Tim have about 5 minutes of garbage time.

Seriously why do you people keep making this shyt up? It's really annoying as heck.Please show us Tim's shot distribution to prove your claim.

silverblk mystix
03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Please show us Tim's shot distribution to prove your claim.

Please post as Blake and then as Cumdumpster within 30 seconds or less to prove you are not the same poster....

Waiting for you to prove this...

ChumpDumper
03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Please post as Blake and then as Cumdumpster within 30 seconds or less to prove you are not the same poster....

Waiting for you to prove this...Why would posting as two posters prove I am not one of them?

lol blind hatred

I just wanted to know if he could find the stats. They do exist, and they are interesting.

silverblk mystix
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM

TJastal
Please show us Tim's shot distribution to prove your claim.

Doesn't show a nice pretty little picture, but this link gives you the rundown:

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=SAS&type=pg&posi=%&yr=2012&gp=0&mins=0

You can see that Duncan takes most of his shots outside the paint (16-23 feet), Splitter otoh almost all of his shots are taken within 3-9 feet.

Questions? Complaints? I'll be sure to send you the pop-up book version next time when I have more time to spare.

silverblk mystix

silverblk mystix
03-06-2012, 01:25 PM

I knew there just couldn't be two of you....

thank budda...

ChumpDumper
03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Doesn't show a nice pretty little picture, but this link gives you the rundown:

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=SAS&type=pg&posi=%&yr=2012&gp=0&mins=0

You can see that Duncan takes most of his shots outside the paint (16-23 feet), Splitter otoh almost all of his shots are taken within 3-9 feet.

Questions? Complaints? I'll be sure to send you the pop-up book version next time when I have more time to spare.I already found a better one, but good to know you jump when I tell you to. :tu

ChumpDumper
03-06-2012, 01:27 PM

I knew there just couldn't be two of you....

thank budda...:lol did you realize what you asked?

No, of course you didn't.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I already found a better one, but good to know you jump when I tell you to. :tu

Tbh I posted it more to prove Borosai's theory wrong than to appease your ingratiating request. But carry on in your cumdumpster tradition, it suits you.

ChumpDumper
03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Tbh I posted it more to prove Borosai's theory wrong than to appease your ingratiating request. But carry on in your cumdumpster tradition, it suits you.No, you posted in in response to my demand -- addressed it to me and quoted my demand in your post.

Now you're trying to act like you didn't.

lol tbh

silverblk mystix
03-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Well apparently Blake isn't posting...so I knew Cumdumpster would...

thank christ...

Blake= Cumdumpster

TJastal
03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
No, you posted in in response to my demand -- addressed it to me and quoted my demand in your post.

Now you're trying to act like you didn't.

lol tbh

And used it to disprove Borosai's quack theory that Splitter and Duncan do the same thing on the court. See, despite having 65000+ of mostly useless gibberish once in awhile you CAN be useful around here, cumdumpster.

silverblk mystix
03-06-2012, 01:36 PM