PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Diaw could be a free agent soon

swaggerjackson
03-06-2012, 07:53 AM
The top story on hoopshype says he will be bought out if an agreement is reached. I don't know if I believe this. I live in NC and have heard all season the Bobcats have no intention of paying him not to play. There is a lot of bad blood in the relationship Diaw and the Bobcats. I can't see them releasing him to make him happy unless it truly benefits them. That being said he is a guy the spurs were after back when he was in the draft, and I think he would be a great spur. He is certainly overweight but some of that was becasue he was asked to start at center in the early season. Mullens hadn't been traded to them yet and Diop was still recovering from an injury. What do you guys think? Any truth to this and do you even want to pursue him if he is released?

Wild Cobra Kai
03-06-2012, 08:10 AM
He's a PF version of RJ.

JP le Requin
03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
he is a really good passer, can rebound, can hit the 3 and can make really very ggod choice in ofense and at the end of close game...
then he is a super friend of TP and they know each very well since they are 13 years old...they play in FNT all summer..
so it could be an upgrade...i will take him over bonner and maybe blair too
but we really need somone like okafor in our roster...

freedom&justice
03-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Why would you guys want him? He looks totally out of shape.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Might be good for Parker's confidence to have another "frenchie" around, since he was so happy about his performance for his french team. Anything that helps keep him playing like the mvp caliber player he's shown he's capable of is worth a try IMO.

And even if Diaw is out of shape I'd take him just for that reason. And its not like the playoffs are starting next week. He'd get in shape quick, especially chasing behind Parker's fast breaks every other day.

Dex
03-06-2012, 08:26 AM

I'd take the chance on him. Maybe he's done, maybe he's not. Something tells me he's not very motivated over there being a Bobcat.

Either way, Spurs need another big and he's about the best option they would have available.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-06-2012, 08:35 AM
The top story on hoopshype says he will be bought out if an agreement is reached. I don't know if I believe this. I live in NC and have heard all season the Bobcats have no intention of paying him not to play. There is a lot of bad blood in the relationship Diaw and the Bobcats. I can't see them releasing him to make him happy unless it truly benefits them. That being said he is a guy the spurs were after back when he was in the draft, and I think he would be a great spur. He is certainly overweight but some of that was becasue he was asked to start at center in the early season. Mullens hadn't been traded to them yet and Diop was still recovering from an injury. What do you guys think? Any truth to this and do you even want to pursue him if he is released?

It benefits them because they are paying full price for shitty play and they can cut him loose and pay partial price for him to go away. In other words, a small market team has an opportunity to save some cash.

Redshadows
03-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Wow, if he wanted to play seriously and not too fat, he would be much more better than blair.

Mal
03-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Spurs need him in playoffs. There is plenty of time to get into shape before postseason begins.

acoelho1
03-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I rather get someone that is more physical. We don't need more scoring and with the physical nature of the playoffs, defense needs to be our #1 priority when picking up another big.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I rather get someone that is more physical. We don't need more scoring and with the physical nature of the playoffs, defense needs to be our #1 priority when picking up another big.

Probably so.

Bruno
03-06-2012, 09:46 AM
The question isn't whether Diaw has some flaws or not because, yes, he is nowhere near a perfect player.

The question is who you rather have as starting PF: Blair or Diaw?

Darkwaters
03-06-2012, 09:50 AM
The question isn't whether Diaw has some flaws or not because, yes, he is nowhere near a perfect player.

Diaw in a heartbeat

Amuseddaysleeper
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Diaw in a heartbeat

Yes, I would even take Bonner as a starting PF over Blair at this point. Blair is just awful awful awful, even though his rebounding has improved the past few games.

SpurNation
03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I think if this happened he would be in a Spur jersey faster than his Bobcat shorts come off.

benefactor
03-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Apparently it's from an article in L'Equipe. Is it legit, Bruno?

Dex
03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Rotoworld via HoopsHype, so not sure if serious...looks like they are just copy-catting L'Equipe

The Bobcats would reportedly be willing to buy out Boris Diaw if the two sides can reach an agreement.
A hat tip to HoopsHype for the translation. Take this one with a grain of salt, but it makes some sense on the surface. Charlotte is in a tailspin and Diaw's contract is set to expire at the end of the season. The Bobcats would be wise to shop him in a trade before simply buying him out, but there has been scant interest in his services around the league. Mar. 6 - 9:20 am et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=947&line=173899&spln=1

will_spurs
03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I think if this happened he would be in a Spur jersey faster than his Bobcat shorts come off.

And he should, really.

The thing with Diaw is that he is the prototypical French athlete (or French person, some might say). Allow him to slack, and he'll slack harder than anybody. Put him in the right environment, a tough, competitive, winning environment, and he's going to rise to your expectations.

Diaw is a fantastic player who is simply taking it easy.

In exactly the same minutes as RJ he's getting 7.7 points 4.4 assists 5.6 rebounds vs RJ 9.6 points 1.4 assists 3.4 rebounds

That's -2 points +3 assists +2 rebounds

Out of shape, lacking motivation, unhappy and not playing next to one of his best friends.

Bruno
03-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Apparently it's from an article in L'Equipe. Is it legit, Bruno?

Yeah, it is.

A translation of the article:
Boris Diaw isn't happy in Charlotte, a team that has lost 31 times in 35 games. The team seems to be ready to offer him his freedom providing they can reach a buyout agreement. More clearly: If Diaw, who will be a free agent this summer, is ready to give up a little money, he will be free to find a new teams in the next few days. "I've a choice to make" said Diaw while he was in San Antonio. The rest can't be said for the moment. But Diaw isn't happy with the depressing Bobcats and his coach, Paul Silas, can't stand his passiveness on the offensive end.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
And he should, really.

The thing with Diaw is that he is the prototypical French athlete (or French person, some might say). Allow him to slack, and he'll slack harder than anybody. Put him in the right environment, a tough, competitive, winning environment, and he's going to rise to your expectations.

Diaw is a fantastic player who is simply taking it easy.

In exactly the same minutes as RJ he's getting 7.7 points 4.4 assists 5.6 rebounds vs RJ 9.6 points 1.4 assists 3.4 rebounds

That's -2 points +3 assists +2 rebounds

Out of shape, lacking motivation, unhappy and not playing next to one of his best friends.

So French athletes are slackers. Cool story, bro.

will_spurs
03-06-2012, 10:31 AM
So French athletes are slackers. Cool story, bro.

That's the truth, though.

benefactor
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, it is.

A translation of the article:
Boris Diaw isn't happy in Charlotte, a team that has lost 31 times in 35 games. The team seems to be ready to offer him his freedom providing they can reach a buyout agreement. More clearly: If Diaw, who will be a free agent this summer, is ready to give up a little money, he will be free to find a new teams in the next few days. "I've a choice to make" said Diaw while he was in San Antonio. The rest can't be said for the moment. But Diaw isn't happy with the depressing Bobcats and his coach, Paul Silas, can't stand his passiveness on the offensive end.
Good stuff. Thanks. :tu

I agree with those that say Diaw would definitely be more motivated to play well if he was with a good team and even moreso playing beside Parker. If the buyout gets done it's almost a lock that his agent calls the Spurs immediately...and I think they do it as there is probably not going to be a lot of better options.

Spursfanfromafar
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
That's the truth, though.

Typical Francophobic bullshit.

Leetonidas
03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
He's a PF version of RJ.

will_spurs
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Typical Francophobic bullshit.

<- French, by the way.

swaggerjackson
03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I think in terms of fitting into our team he is not our dream guy to put next to Duncan but he is possibly the best option we are going to have either via trade or other potential buyouts. He is a better defender than both blair and bonner in my opinion. He has gotten better at defending the post since coming to Charlotte. Not great but serviceable. I think he is a good outside shooter who will stretch the floor for Duncan, but unlike Bonner he has the ability to create for himself if run off the 3pt line and he is a fantastic passer. He should pick up the system quick and help find teammates some open shots.

I wouldn't think they would release him until after the deadline just in case someone really wants his expiring contract. But at the same time I think the Bobcats will try to stand firm and make minor moves. They are first in line for the Anthony Davis sweepstakes so they are not going to do anything to jeopardize that. But the biggest question in my mind is would the Bobcats release him? Obviously they don't like Diaw and aren't going to make moves just to accommodate him. I would love it if they did and I think the spurs should go after him. Even if he played out the season for the Bobcats I think this is a guy who should be looked at in the off-season as potential signing. But do you think the Bobcats are motivated to let him go?

Agloco
03-06-2012, 12:01 PM
When in shape and motivated, he's an upgrade to Blair. I say if he can be had on the cheap, grab him and see what he does for a playoff bound team.

DesignatedT
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
If it's him or nobody I'll take it.

Spurs Brazil
03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Diaw>Blair

Bring him

loveforthegame
03-06-2012, 12:08 PM

Diaw without question.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Crofl, even if spurs were interested, we are too cheap to get players like this, when teams like la and Dallas always manage to over pay and land these guys in their sleep.
Just like Corey brewer last year

Mal
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Spurs got Parker to help Diaw with decision

TJastal
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
At the risk of being excoriated by the official forum fact checker, may I ask the French/TP fans whether or not they played together on the French national team this past summer?

Dex
03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
At the risk of being excoriated by the official forum fact checker, may I ask the French/TP fans whether or not they played together on the French national team this past summer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_national_basketball_team

It's amazing what you can find if you just type it into Google.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_national_basketball_team

It's amazing what you can find if you just type it into Google.

The link you gave tells only he was on the roster. I was kind of hoping for a more in depth analysis (by someone who actually watched the games) of whether they shared court time together and also how their chemistry on the court was. Sarcasm duly noted however.

DesignatedT
03-06-2012, 12:30 PM
If Diaw is bought out and the Spurs show interest I think he will actually come here. TP helps.

03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
diaw is better than nothing.

ace3g
03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Someone has a lot of time on their hands...http://igohardnow.com/?p=3103

To answer the question, ever since I heard Diaw was on the trade block, I've been on board; always been a fan and just hate seeing the Spurs start off games 4 on 5 with Blair starting. Sure he still has games where he decides to use the power dribble and plays with patience but that is too few and far between. I think of Diaw in the mold of an Oberto type: can pass, has some moves in the post, size to rebound. Plus even if Diaw didn't get the starting spot right away it still would be nice to have another big on the team:

Duncan
Splitter
Diaw
Bonner
Blair

urunobili
03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Stretch 4 TBH...

timvp
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
If Diaw is bought out, the Spurs have to go after him hard. He could easily be the best buyout candidate this year and it's so unlikely that the Spurs can make a trade to land a better player that the front office should go all out.

Diaw definitely has negatives:

-He basically stole money by getting fat right after he landed his big contract. He didn't even try to hide the thievery.

-He's more of a small forward but he just gained too much weight that he's a power forward by default now.

-He's pretty soft, doesn't block shots, not a good rebounder for a power forward, doesn't shoot well anymore ... basically he sucks at everything with the Bobcats other than passing.

But if the Spurs signed him, the hope would be that he'd get motivated and turn it around. He has good all-around skills; he could be the closest thing to Robert Horry since he retired ... due largely to both those players being former small forwards.

The hope with Diaw is that he'd supercharge the offense while possibly helping the defense in certain matchups. At worst, his passing should be really helpful when he's on the court with the Big 3.

Diaw is far from a perfect fit but the Spurs are pretty desperate right now.

Goran Dragic
03-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Sign him yesterday if he gets bought out!!

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

Mal
03-06-2012, 01:33 PM

-He basically stole money by getting fat right after he landed his big contract. He didn't even try to hide the thievery.

-He's more of a small forward but he just gained too much weight that he's a power forward by default now.

-He's pretty soft, doesn't block shots, not a good rebounder for a power forward, doesn't shoot well anymore ... basically he sucks at everything with the Bobcats other than passing.

1. Not a problem. Spurs need to add him, use for 15-20 minutes at most.
2. Ideal for smallball. Play SF at PF :)
3. Not a problem. Blair, Bonner also are soft, dont block shots, dont rebound. Spurs can cover all of this.

Bruno
03-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Charlotte newspaper is confirming the story:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/06/3074081/boris-diaw-asks-bobcats-for-buyout.html

TJastal
03-06-2012, 01:51 PM
TBH if Diaw is passing up shots and hurting the team it may be pissing the coach off but its probably putting a smile on Jordan's face.

Bet he stays a bobcat the rest of the season.

Dex
03-06-2012, 01:51 PM
This was about as committal as they would be, so hard to say if Charlotte is really considering this or not:

"Boris and I had a meeting prior to the All-Star break, maybe Wednesday before. We talked about quite a few things,'' Higgins said. "The issue with the buyout, it was raised on their side, from Doug. We haven't gone down that road any further.''

- - -

However, any serious discussion of buying out Diaw's contract makes no sense until the NBA trade deadline expires March 15.

"No question,'' Higgins confirmed. "Those conversations, if they happen, would happen after the deadline.''

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/06/3074081/boris-diaw-asks-bobcats-for-buyout.html#storylink=cpy

TJastal
03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
This was about as committal as they would be, so hard to say if Charlotte is really considering this or not:

Translation: We brought the issue up to Michael, and he hasn't answered us yet.

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Boris is a very talented player. Lazy, but talented. He's also a better post defender than he gets credit for IMO. Spurs need talent and depth. I'll take a lazy player right now with the hope he becomes motivated because you can't teach talent and beggars can't be choosers.

SenorSpur
03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Diaw scares the crap out of me. I could certainly understand the interest, but I wouldn't trust him. Pair him up with Blair and the next thing you know is they'll both be consuming large quantities of Whataburgers A1 Thick-N-Hearty Burgers or the Chop House Cheedar Burgers. Then before you know it, the Spurs will be forced to enter the playoffs with two supersized, yet undersized PFs. That's a recipe for disaster and one which doesn't help you beat a big, physical team like Memphis.

Seriously though, Diaw wouldn't be ideal, but if he's the best the Spurs can muster, so be it.

timtonymanu
03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Not someone I think that would put us over the top, but we have no other options and we don't have to trade anyone. Blair can still be valuable as a 5th big.

The front office can't be picky anymore.

TJastal
03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Diaw scares the crap out of me. I could certainly understand the interest, but I wouldn't trust him. Pair him up with Blair and the next thing you know is they'll both be consuming large quantities of Whataburgers A1 Thick-N-Hearty Burgers or the Chop House Cheedar Burgers. Then before you know it, the Spurs will be forced to enter the playoffs with two supersized, yet undersized PFs. That's a recipe for disaster and one which doesn't help you beat a big, physical team like Memphis.

Seriously though, Diaw wouldn't be ideal, but if he's the best the Spurs can muster, so be it.

I kind of doubt they'd be great friends if Diaw takes Blair's spot in the rotation. Though I could see Blair blimping out if he gets benched. Wouldn't really matter, though.

DesignatedT
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
If Diaw is bought out, the Spurs have to go after him hard. He could easily be the best buyout candidate this year and it's so unlikely that the Spurs can make a trade to land a better player that the front office should go all out.

But if the Spurs signed him, the hope would be that he'd get motivated and turn it around. He has good all-around skills; he could be the closest thing to Robert Horry since he retired ... due largely to both those players being former small forwards.

The hope with Diaw is that he'd supercharge the offense while possibly helping the defense in certain matchups. At worst, his passing should be really helpful when he's on the court with the Big 3.

So who do you feel more comfortable with getting minutes? Blair or Diaw?

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Either way, with the ghost job RC has pulled over the past few years along with the embarrassing arrest, he needs to win the fans back; he must trade TP.

ChumpDumper
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Either way, with the ghost job RC has pulled over the past few years along with the embarrassing arrest, he needs to win the fans back; he must trade TP.:lol

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I still got it!

03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
i still think blair will start even if the spurs get diaw. blair is really the only "big" on the team that actually wants to go into the low post. splitter is still hesitant, bonner doesn't, duncan shoots jump shots, and diaw definitely won't be wanting to do that extra work.

DesignatedT
03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
blair is really the only "big" on the team that actually wants to go into the low post. splitter is still hesitant

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion. Splitter seems more than happy to bang in the paint.

ElNono
03-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Fat... Lazy... That's what comes to mind when somebody mentions Diaw....

That said, desperate times call for desperate measures...

Sense
03-06-2012, 03:43 PM
I would rather the Spurs go after a defensive presence in the paint, a shot blocker rather than a "good passer"... Our defense is our weakness, not sure Diaw would fix this.. but if he's the only player we can get, get him.. :/

Darkwaters
03-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Not sure how you have come to that conclusion. Splitter seems more than happy to bang in the paint.

Yea exactly. Splitter loves the low post and puts in good work down their.

Darkwaters
03-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I would rather the Spurs go after a defensive presence in the paint, a shot blocker rather than a "good passer"... Our defense is our weakness, not sure Diaw would fix this.. but if he's the only player we can get, get him.. :/

Agreed. But who would you recommend? There are basically no free agents except those that get bought out. And we're not exactly oozing with big time trade assets either.

DBMethos
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm in the camp that says he's just unmotivated due to being on a ridiculously sucky team...bring him here, to be with his buddy TP, and I bet he'll turn it around just enough to be worth it.

jjktkk
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Barring a trade, It seems the only conceivable way the Spurs land a big, is picking up a vet. thru the waiver wire. Besdies Diaw, can anyone think of other possible bigs that might get dumped by their current teams?

8FOR!3
03-06-2012, 03:55 PM

Word, maybe we should just wait for Tyson Chandler to get bought out? oh

crc21209
03-06-2012, 04:54 PM
If he gets bought out, the Spurs HAVE to go after him. I'd take Diaw over Blair anyday. At least Diaw seems to be smarter than Blair...:lol

Manufan909
03-06-2012, 04:58 PM
In the comments section of that crazy consumption article, someone from the future posted that Diaw was waived today. I feel sad now cuz I'm hoping that's true, and I'll feel sad in the future if the Spurs sign him and he plays more than Splitter.

Anonymous Cowherd
03-06-2012, 05:20 PM
do it do it

will_spurs
03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
There was apparently an article on ESPN Insider about this yesterday...

The Bobcats are also interested in a trade, apparently. Salary matches with RJ's (ok, one can dream :lol )

TD 21
03-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Decent comparison. I knew Horry was never a good rebounder, but upon further review, he was even worse than I thought. His career rebound rate is a paltry 11.6. Granted, as you alluded to, he was more of an SF than a PF until I believe the tail end of his time with the Rockets, but still. It's not like his rebounding shot up when he converted to PF full time. I said a few weeks ago that I thought Diaw's lack of rebounding would kill them, but I don't remember Horry's lack of rebounding ever doing so, so maybe it wouldn't. I guess it would depend on how much the other things he brings to the table would offset that.

I don't know that he's a better option to close than what they currently have though. He doesn't provide the elite shooting of Bonner (granted, his shooting falls off a cliff in the playoffs), the rim protection of Splitter (though he could be a better option against mobile fours), or the rebounding of Blair. And it's not like he's so good all around that it's easy to overlook his lack of one high end skill. I'm not saying I wouldn't sign him, I just question how much of an upgrade -- if at all -- he'd actually be.

Given the situation, I have no concerns about whether he'd play like he gave a damn. Potential contender, best friend on the team and playing for quite possibly his last significant contract in the league. If that doesn't motivate him, nothing will.

On a somewhat related note . . .

Shavlik Randolph is in serious talks with two NBA teams and might seal a deal soon, (http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/36216/shavlik-randolph-in-serious-talks-with-two-nba-teams.html) as reported to Sportando by a source close to the player. Randolph has finished his experience in China with DongGuan averaging 24.7ppg and 11.9rpg in 37 games. Sportando (http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/36216/shavlik-randolph-in-serious-talks-with-two-nba-teams.html)

Hopefully the Spurs aren't one of those two teams. It wouldn't make sense when they're potentially 10-14 days away from having a better than good shot at Diaw, Turiaf, etc.

(http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/36216/shavlik-randolph-in-serious-talks-with-two-nba-teams.html)

ThaBigFundamental21
03-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Diaw is an upgrade over Blair, yes. But that's not saying much. But TBH, what else is San Antonio going to get? This is actually realistic, we could give him the MLE. It's just shame he is only 6'8. He's friends with Parker, maybe he will come play, it won't hurt to get him, it might not help a ton either.

superbigtime
03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
diaw stinks

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Diaw was benched tonight in favor of DJ White. Not sure of the details or why, but interesting.

ace3g
03-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Diaw was benched tonight in favor of DJ White. Not sure of the details or why, but interesting.

Lakers better not sign him, they have a 8.9 million dollar exception.

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I highly doubt Lakers are taking on Diaw and adding to their tax. Their exception can only be used for a trade.

ace3g
03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Maybe they have decided to sit him till the trade deadline. If you know he isn't happy, might as well keep him off the court. Don't want to risk injury with only 9 days till trade deadline.

Russ
03-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Go for it.:flag:

I was all for signing him for big money when he was a FA.

Sure can't change my mind now when he may come cheap.

He isn't exactly the type of player the Spurs need -- but you can't pass up the chance to add significant talent without expending any resources (i.e., giving up players).

(But that was what I said when the Spurs got RJ.)

Russ
03-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Here is the French report on the subject:

http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/boris-diaw-sur-le-depart-11487.html

jjktkk
03-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Here is the French report on the subject:

http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/boris-diaw-sur-le-depart-11487.html

Translation?

Russ
03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Translation?

http://www.ballineurope.com/us-basketball/nba/boris-diaw-leave-charlotte-bobcats-7120/

ace3g
03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Rick Bonnell ‏ @rick_bonnell

If Boris Diaw does not play tonight, it would break a streak of 384 consecutive game appearances (2nd in NBA to Lakers' Derek Fisher)

Diaw's games-played streak pre-dates the trade to Charlotte, reaching back to his Phoenix Suns days.

slick'81
03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
hes done in cha i just wonder if he really would come here

Sense
03-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Gee... what could the reason be?

DesignatedT
03-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Boston could be a player as well if Jermaine Oneal turns out to be finished for the year.

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Typically a move like this a prelude to a trade, but I don't really see him being traded. If he's not being moved, it could very well be they just want him gone and want to move the minutes to other guys. He could also be hurt. Haven't heard anything official yet.

lmbebo
03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
If he's available, spurs have to go after him. Limited options. He's a vet. He can contribute. Not ideal fit, but we haven't had an ideal fit in a long time.

ElNono
03-06-2012, 09:02 PM

If Boris Diaw does not play tonight, it would break a streak of 384 consecutive game appearances (2nd in NBA to Lakers' Derek Fisher)

Diaw's games-played streak pre-dates the trade to Charlotte, reaching back to his Phoenix Suns days.

So is he playing?

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Nope, 0 minutes.

ElNono
03-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Any team rumored to be interested?

DPG21920
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Nothing that I've heard.

ElNono
03-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Probably will start soon enough

The Truth #6
03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I just saw a photo of him recently. He's obese. If I remember correctly, he was already slacking off when he was still in Phoenix. I don't get the sense that the lowly Bobcats is the reason for his apathy, I think it's safe to say he's just not very motivated. Furthermore, I don't even know what he could offer while playing at his ridiculous weight. He would need to lose about 40 pounds to get back to normal. Is there even time for that?

That said, it doesn't seem like the Spurs have any better options so they need to see if it's somehow worth pursuing.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Hilarious blog post on how much food it takes for Diaw to STAY fat during an NBA season. (http://igohardnow.com/?p=3103) :lol

The before and after pics are startling.

E-RockWill
03-06-2012, 09:51 PM
" ...In about six years, seven months and some change, Boris Diaw will have consumed enough energy to melt a full size ice sculpture of himself and then bring the water to a boil to cook some delicious spaghetti in...."

That's good interwebbin' right there

StoneBuddha
03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Hilarious blog post on how much food it takes for Diaw to STAY fat during an NBA season. (http://igohardnow.com/?p=3103) :lol

The before and after pics are startling.

Priceless!

jjktkk
03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
http://www.ballineurope.com/us-basketball/nba/boris-diaw-leave-charlotte-bobcats-7120/

Thanks. :tu

Russ
03-06-2012, 10:22 PM
I just saw a photo of him recently. He's obese.

He and DeJuan Blair could start their own support group.

With Oprah rooting them on.

Bruno
03-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Diaw's DNP-CD means that his situation will end up with either a trade or a buy out.

If he is bought out and if Spurs wants him, they have a huge edge over other teams because of Parker. I remember few years ago, Parker and Diaw said that one of their dream was to play together in NBA. If the lockout had last the full season, Diaw would have ended playing with Parker's team in France.

Sean Cagney
03-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Bruno thats if he is not the fatty we see in the pic there, who wants twinkie on their team?

Hoops Czar
03-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Diaw's DNP-CD means that his situation will end up with either a trade or a buy out.

If he is bought out and if Spurs wants him, they have a huge edge over other teams because of Parker. I remember few years ago, Parker and Diaw said that one of their dream was to play together in NBA. If the lockout had last the full season, Diaw would have ended playing with Parker's team in France.

Is this the same kind of edge that the Clippers had with J.R. Reid and the supposed "closeness" between Reid and Paul? That means absolutely nothing.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:07 AM
At this point, Diaw is barely a serviceable rotation player. He's only a plus because we are short on 4/5s. Think: tan Bonner, minus the three ball.

DesignatedT
03-07-2012, 12:10 AM
^He's not that bad.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Is this the same kind of edge that the Clippers had with J.R. Reid and the supposed "closeness" between Reid and Paul? That means absolutely nothing.

JR Smith went to NY because Paul had already recruited KMart and the Clips spent their MLE on him. Follow the money. It's what NBA players do.

timvp
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Bruno thats if he is not the fatty we see in the pic there, who wants twinkie on their team?Diaw is fat but he's been fatter. He looks like he's lost some weight from the beginning of this season. Hopefully he uses this time off to mix in a few salads before the Bobcats officially waive him.

Is this the same kind of edge that the Clippers had with J.R. Reid and the supposed "closeness" between Reid and Paul? That means absolutely nothing. Took me a while to translate that but nice work with the JR Reid reference, even if accidental.

Usually, I'd agree but Parker and Diaw are best, best friends. This isn't a regular situation. If the money is similar, I'd be surprised if Diaw decided against playing with Parker, tbh.

Bruno
03-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Bruno thats if he is not the fatty we see in the pic there, who wants twinkie on their team?

Well, you see Diaw playing against Spurs one week ago. That's way more telling than some kind of pictures. Even with all his flaws, I still take Diaw over Blair and Bonner.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:13 AM
^He's not that bad.

Before
http://igohardnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Boris-Diaw-300x227.jpg

After
http://igohardnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/136715261_crop_650x440-300x203.jpg

DesignatedT
03-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Yes I'm aware of the weight issue. That doesn't mean he can't play though. From what I saw out of him against the Spurs a few days ago he looked pretty good out there. Better than Blair.

benefactor
03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Yeah, it's something like that...well...actually...no, it isn't.

Proxy
03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Just do it... for the fouls if anything.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Well, you see Diaw playing against Spurs one week ago. That's way more telling than some kind. Even with all his flaws, I still take Diaw over Blair and Bonner.

He's fat, and shooting 41% for the year. That's more indicative than maybe manning it up for one game to not embarrass one's self in front of one's best friend.

benefactor
03-07-2012, 12:20 AM
He's fat, and shooting 41% for the year. That's more indicative than maybe manning it up for one game to not embarrass one's self in front of one's best friend.
Couldn't this same logic be applied to playing on the same team with that best friend?

DesignatedT
03-07-2012, 12:22 AM
He's still a great passer with a high bbiq. He's decent size, can hit an open shot and can rebound at a decent rate. Not too sure why you wouldn't want him and other than rebounding i'm not sure what Blair is better at. He's certainly just as out of shape and lazy as Diaw if that's what you are labeling him.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Yes I'm aware of the weight issue. That doesn't mean he can't play though. From what I saw out of him against the Spurs a few days ago he looked pretty good out there. Better than Blair.

benefactor
03-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Diaw at his worst is still a better option than Blair. I'm not sure how one could argue otherwise.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Couldn't this same logic be applied to playing on the same team with that best friend?

He might die trying to exert that effort every game.

slick'81
03-07-2012, 12:25 AM
big mac diaw baby!!

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Diaw at his worst is still a better option than Blair. I'm not sure how one could argue otherwise.

FG%? Rebounding? It's not like either defend.

DesignatedT
03-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Blairs FG% would be just as bad if he was on Charlotte lmao. Without those point blank setups he's probably around the 20% mark

Hoops Czar
03-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Took me a while to translate that but nice work with the JR Reid reference, even if accidental.

Usually, I'd agree but Parker and Diaw are best, best friends. This isn't a regular situation. If the money is similar, I'd be surprised if Diaw decided against playing with Parker, tbh.

:lol yeah, that was a brainfart. Not sure where my head was at.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:32 AM
big mac diaw baby!!

That would be plural. As in MANY Big Macs.

As a free pickup at the minimum, I'm for it. We need another NBA big body. Just don't expect much more than that bare minimum level.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Blairs FG% would be just as bad if he was on Charlotte lmao. Without those point blank setups he's probably around the 20% mark

Uh, no. Blair's bread and butter is the pick and roll. He understands how to set the screen and the angle to roll to the hoop to receive the pass. EVery one pretty much runs the pick and roll, even Charlotte.

DesignatedT
03-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Lol you put Diaw on the Spurs and his FG% is above or near 50%. That argument is irrelevant tbqh

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Halo effect in effect.

DesignatedT
03-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Not really. That's just what happens to role players when you play with Tony, Manu and Tim.

TD 21
03-07-2012, 01:16 AM
They got on Blair for being overweight last season, so to think they'd bring in another overweight, undersized four -- who by most measures has been worse in recent seasons -- and have him immediately take Blair's job, is probably unlikely.

They'd probably put him through a rigorous mini training camp, a la Nowitzki, for a week or so before he joined the team, if/when they sign him. And then have him on a strict diet for the remainder of the season.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Uh, no. Blair's bread and butter is the pick and roll. He understands how to set the screen and the angle to roll to the hoop to receive the pass. EVery one pretty much runs the pick and roll, even Charlotte.

He does run it well with Manu. Hopefully that part of his game improves. He bails on picks too soon too often with the other guys and for someone slowfooted like Neal that doesn't help.

Em-City
03-07-2012, 02:07 AM
if we needed to go "hard" for diaw, why didn't we do it for Kmart? i would have much preferred a defensive-minded PF.

timvp
03-07-2012, 02:17 AM
^They did, by all indications.

will_spurs
03-07-2012, 05:05 AM
As fat as he currently is, he's still producing roughly the same as Blair or RJ... so I don't really see what the downside is, especially since it's pretty much guaranteed that Blair and RJ's contributions will go down in the playoffs.

Re: his FG%, it's way down (41%) compared to his career average (49%) so I think it's safe to say that he just doesn't care any more.

Re: being friend with Parker, for (roughly) equal money I'm quite sure he'd rather play with Parker. They've been best buddies ever since they won the Euro junior together in 2000, when they were teenagers.

If a team offers him a stupid amount of money then all bets are off, obviously. I think only d'Antoni is a fan of Diaw so the competition is limited.

objective
03-07-2012, 06:27 AM
he would be a great signing.

Not because he's great or anything, but damn the Spurs need a big man to add on the roster with experience who isn't total refuse (like Elson). If he played sharp then even better, but the grind of games coming up is going to chew the bigs up without a 5th big.

Darkwaters
03-07-2012, 07:28 AM
I'd love to bring in two bigs and subtract Blair from the formula completely. Whether that occur via trade, signings or a combination I don't rightly care.

Not going to happen, but I'd love a Kevin Seraphim trade (with Blair going out) and a Diaw signing.

Too bad...

temujin
03-07-2012, 07:46 AM
No Diaw, unless he reverts to French cuisine.

SpurNation
03-07-2012, 07:54 AM
He'd be a good pairing with Splitter or Duncan. Something really not dependable if you supplant Blair in that equation.

And...if anything...it would be great to have just so any Blair/Bonner combinations could be eliminated.

Darkwaters
03-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Seriously, whats the alternative to Boris Diaw?

Francisco Elson?

Greg Ostertag?

And not only is he likely going to be a free agent, but San Antonio is probably very high on his shopping list. I think you sign him in a heart beat.

8FOR!3
03-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Greg Ostertag's contract isn't up in Utah yet.

SpurNation
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
I'd love to bring in two bigs and subtract Blair from the formula completely. Whether that occur via trade, signings or a combination I don't rightly care.

Not going to happen, but I'd love a Kevin Seraphim trade (with Blair going out) and a Diaw signing.

Too bad...

Maybe this to accommodate your desires?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6qftv4j

It doesn't "get rid of" Blair. But it certainly places him in the rotational pattern he should be allocated.

Then if Diaw is released...he signs with Spurs as a primary bench rotation.

Keep in mind...Blair's salary is fully "non-guaranteed" next season unless not released prior to November 2012. Spurs don't have to trade him to be rid of him next season.

This gives the Spurs front court options of Duncan, Okafor, Splitter, Diaw, Bonner and Blair for the rest of this season and a way to land something for Jefferson besides just amnestying him next year.

ElNono
03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
What's the deadline for playoff-eligible trades?

TJastal
03-07-2012, 10:26 AM
What's the deadline for playoff-eligible trades?

March 15 -- Trade Deadline (3 p.m. ET)

March 23 -- Waiver deadline for Playoff eligibility

http://www.nba.com/news/key-dates/index.html

ElNono
03-07-2012, 10:35 AM
^ Thanks

mountainballer
03-07-2012, 10:37 AM

Too bad...

I hope this will be the strategy. (not talking about Seraphin, who wouldn't help IMO). Spurs should try hard to get a big via trade at deadline. no matter if they think they can sign Diaw, if he is bought out. (and that's two ifs, at least one if too many for my taste).

I don't give up hopes that it could be Ilyasova, even if the price will have risen significantly during the last weeks. win vs. sixers didn't help the case. fingers crossed that they lose vs. Knicks and lose at least 3 out of 5 till deadline, so that POs are no longer a realistic goal for them.

TJastal
03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
I hope this will be the strategy. (not talking about Seraphin, who wouldn't help IMO). Spurs should try hard to get a big via trade at deadline. no matter if they think they can sign Diaw, if he is bought out. (and that's two ifs, at least one if too many for my taste).

I don't give up hopes that it could be Ilyasova, even if the price will have risen significantly during the last weeks. win vs. sixers didn't help the case. fingers crossed that they lose vs. Knicks and lose at least 3 out of 5 till deadline, so that POs are no longer a realistic goal for them.

Illysova is firmly off-limits IMO.

Gooden otoh, might be an option, given his contract which the bucks might want to part with. I'd welcome Gooden back, low IQ and all, because Blair's IQ is actually worse and at least Gooden brings 10 other things to the table that Blair currently lacks.

Leetonidas
03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Diaw if motivated and not fat would definitely be an upgrade over Bonner/Blair at the 4

Mugen
03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
i would take fat Diaw over already fat Blair and in-shape Bonner any day of the week, tbh.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I would be stunned if MIL was willing to trade Ilyasova. Didn't he have a monster 20/20 game recently?

He's also on a very cheap contract I'm sure they will try to resign him unless I'm missing something.

MANUUU
03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I heard Mavs just waived Odom. Let's get him! He would help Timmy out so much

bklynspursfan
03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I heard Mavs just waived Odom. Let's get him! He would help Timmy out so much

Where did you hear that? As far as I knew they were keeping him.

MANUUU
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Yahoo news

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/lamar-odom-dropped-dallas-mavericks-234244041.html?fb_action_ids=2771752617754&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQC2QoxbBptg0lDoehJ6sOWVz6bYraahqF0UxWa-qpIn2HHTfdhiLecskB47kX9_zR5vN_G1xWhqEfhibGEts8NJZx _qcWkd1V-ZjnqypPYkpxYc2oQTcDJTaMain3TdH4x488gcRI5i5LcEfIUiG A20B2QWs8WrQSE-W6QOZudS33m3m3k4GHiXnNPGJ0o3vls#_=_

DPG21920
03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
No, you're wrong.

will_spurs
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Yahoo news

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/lamar-odom-dropped-dallas-mavericks-234244041.html?fb_action_ids=2771752617754&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&code=AQC2QoxbBptg0lDoehJ6sOWVz6bYraahqF0UxWa-qpIn2HHTfdhiLecskB47kX9_zR5vN_G1xWhqEfhibGEts8NJZx _qcWkd1V-ZjnqypPYkpxYc2oQTcDJTaMain3TdH4x488gcRI5i5LcEfIUiG A20B2QWs8WrQSE-W6QOZudS33m3m3k4GHiXnNPGJ0o3vls#_=_

That's dropped to the D-League, not cut from the team.

Darkwaters
03-07-2012, 04:01 PM

I'm warming to the idea of a Shelden Williams trade if the Spurs can't make a bigger splash. The Nets are looking to be sellers if they can't wrestle Dwight Howard away and it might not take too much coaxing to swing a Shelden Williams for James Anderson (+ cash or maybe 2nd rounder) trade.

Brazil
03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Diaw in a spurs uniform :lol spurs fans would hate him right after 4 games

ace3g
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Inactive for tonight's game

--

Some quotes from head coach: http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2012/03/charlotte-bobcats-deactivate-diaw-paul-silas-explains-why-.html

Gino2882
03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
I have only seen Diaw play in the game against the Spurs recently, but he would definitely be a decent pickup. Plus, isn't he buddies with Parker?

TD 21
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I would be stunned if MIL was willing to trade Ilyasova. Didn't he have a monster 20/20 game recently?

He's also on a very cheap contract I'm sure they will try to resign him unless I'm missing something.

I think they'd be very willing. It's well known that he's more than likely going back to Europe after this season. He most likely would have already, had he not had another year left on his contract. And he's admitted that he'll go to whoever offers him the most money.

Unfortunately, they'd probably want a 1st round pick, in addition to Blair and Anderson and that would more than likely be a deal breaker. I can't see the Spurs giving that up for a guy who's more than likely gone. They'd probably be willing to throw in the rights to De Colo or a 2nd, but that's about it.

Darkwaters, Williams would make sense, if they weren't most likely going to sign Diaw, once he's inevitably bought out post trade deadline. Anderson will probably be given away for a protected future 2nd round pick.

Brazil
03-07-2012, 07:06 PM
I have only seen Diaw play in the game against the Spurs recently, but he would definitely be a decent pickup. Plus, isn't he buddies with Parker?

well they know each other pretty well because they play together in FNT but I don't think they are close buddies

DPG21920
03-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Brazil, wasn't Diaw TP's best man in his wedding?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
I tried googling Diaw Fat to see how fat he is these days, and most pictures I got were of him in his underwear posing with a bunch of blonde trashy chicks

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Diaw in a spurs uniform :lol spurs fans would hate him right after 4 games
:lol:lol:lol:lol

Wild Cobra Kai
03-07-2012, 07:47 PM
No Diaw, unless he reverts to French cuisine.

French cuisine uses tons of butter and heavy cream.

Em-City
03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
^They did, by all indications.

I guess my question is how 'hard' did we really go (financially), if he ended up signing a 1yr 2.5M contract?

would be good to know so i don't get my hopes up for other FA's

Ice009
03-07-2012, 11:39 PM
well they know each other pretty well because they play together in FNT but I don't think they are close buddies

Aren't they pretty much best friends?

timtonymanu
03-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Watch him get bought out and sign with Miami.

Darkwaters
03-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Darkwaters, Williams would make sense, if they weren't most likely going to sign Diaw, once he's inevitably bought out post trade deadline. Anderson will probably be given away for a protected future 2nd round pick.

But Diaw probably won't get bought out until after the deadline. I still like the idea of making a small trade for a big at the deadline (for either Anderson or Blair) and then also acquiring Diaw. Get Blair out of the rotation - please!

Bruno
03-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Silas is throwing Diaw under the bus:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/08/3078546/silas-not-pleased-with-diaw.html

Even if he likely has legit reasons to be upset about Diaw, that's a shitty move. When you coach a team with a 5-32 record, you better start looking at yourself instead of pointing fingers. Bobcats coaching staff is surely part of the problem why they are so bad.

Diaw would be so much better with Spurs, a team that played team basketball and with a great coaching staff.

8FOR!3
03-08-2012, 01:43 AM
The funny thing is, at least in my book, it raises Diaw's stock and makes the coach look stupid.

mathbzh
03-08-2012, 01:51 AM
Diaw deserves some blame.

But the Bobcats were never serious about winning games (only Silas could believe it was a great idea to have Diaw as a starting C).

With Diaw, that was a recipe for disaster. The guy cares only about W/L, not about his production.

TD 21
03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
But Diaw probably won't get bought out until after the deadline. I still like the idea of making a small trade for a big at the deadline (for either Anderson or Blair) and then also acquiring Diaw. Get Blair out of the rotation - please!

He definitely won't; Higgins admitted as much. Diaw alone could and probably would spell the end of Blair being a rotation player. I still don't see how Williams would make sense.

will_spurs
03-13-2012, 05:49 AM
For what it's worth, Diaw played 11 minutes last night. Since the trade deadline is only a couple of days away, it points more to him being cut, or kept on the roster, rather than traded (in which case his health would still be important to the team).

Darkwaters
03-13-2012, 07:30 AM
For what it's worth, Diaw played 11 minutes last night. Since the trade deadline is only a couple of days away, it points more to him being cut, or kept on the roster, rather than traded (in which case his health would still be important to the team).

Most teams wouldn't trade for Diaw because of his talent but instead for his expiring contract. Hes still very much in play at a potential trade chip.

That being said, I think it much more likely that he just gets bought out after the deadline.

Spursfanfromafar
03-13-2012, 07:47 AM

Naa..He was played yesterday to actually showcase him for a trade rather than dumping him on the floor knowing that he would be bought out.

The Bobcats are dumb, but they are not that dumb to realise that Diaw is an expiring contract and who could be flipped for some kind of a decent pick if possible.

To Diaw's credit, he sucked so badly that he made his trade even more difficult. :)

will_spurs
03-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Quite sure the Knicks were interested in him for his talent, though.

And I don't think the Bobcats will convince any team to trade for him with one more game of "showcasing". At this point he's a known value.

Spursfanfromafar
03-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Quite sure the Knicks were interested in him for his talent, though.

And I don't think the Bobcats will convince any team to trade for him with one more game of "showcasing". At this point he's a known value.

Yes.. but they want to make it known that the dude is not injured.. and is not totally out of shape (relatively).

ace3g
03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
The only reason Diaw was activated at all yesterday was due to Najera's sore knee; and he only played 11 min compared to about 30 when he was the starter.

TDMVPDPOY
03-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Silas is throwing Diaw under the bus:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/08/3078546/silas-not-pleased-with-diaw.html

Even if he likely has legit reasons to be upset about Diaw, that's a shitty move. When you coach a team with a 5-32 record, you better start looking at yourself instead of pointing fingers. Bobcats coaching staff is surely part of the problem why they are so bad.

Diaw would be so much better with Spurs, a team that played team basketball and with a great coaching staff.

more like jordan wanting another 1st lottery pick, watch him blow it up again

Mal
03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Just read Nets are intrested in Diaw expiring contract.

crc21209
03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Would the Bobcats cut this guy already damn it...:lol

timvp
03-13-2012, 05:13 PM
If the Mavs give up on Odom, doesn't an Odom plus cash for Diaw trade make sense for both teams? Diaw is like a poor man's Odom ... but right now the current version of Odom is like a homeless man's Odom.

therealtruth
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
If the Mavs give up on Odom, doesn't an Odom plus cash for Diaw trade make sense for both teams? Diaw is like a poor man's Odom ... but right now the current version of Odom is like a homeless man's Odom.

I really don't understand the Mavs using Chandler's money on Odom. Sure Chandler has more money and years on his contract but they could have least kept him and tried to trade him after this year. That's basically what they're doing with Odom. They're giving him a one year test run.

Seventyniner
03-13-2012, 06:28 PM

If Odom can't even get it up to play for the defending champs, just imagine him on the freaking Bobcats.

I know he doesn't have a say in a trade, but why would the Bobcats bother taking Odom if Diaw is willing to take a small pay cut in a buyout?

Wild Cobra Kai
03-13-2012, 08:57 PM
I really don't understand the Mavs using Chandler's money on Odom. Sure Chandler has more money and years on his contract but they could have least kept him and tried to trade him after this year. That's basically what they're doing with Odom. They're giving him a one year test run.

Chandler was a FA and wanted multiple years at high dollars. It would have been hard to move him next summer. They punted by sign and tradng him to NY and then filling his trade exception with Odom's expiring contract from LA. Now, they definitely have cap space in the summer.

ace3g
03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Ken Berger ‏ @KBergCBS
Follow

The Bobcats are discussing "several deals" for Boris Diaw, and the Pacers also had multiple scenarios on hold waiting for word on Dwight.

Lets hope those several deals fall apart

--

Also he is suppose to be active tonight

Follow

Plan is for Boris Diaw to be active tonight. Could be his last game with #Bobcats.

Paranoid Pop
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Ken Berger ‏ @KBergCBS
Follow

The Bobcats are discussing "several deals" for Boris Diaw, and the Pacers also had multiple scenarios on hold waiting for word on Dwight.

Lets hope those several deals fall apart

--

Also he is suppose to be active tonight

Follow

Plan is for Boris Diaw to be active tonight. Could be his last game with #Bobcats.

Yup just saw that, it was too good to be true tbh :(.

timvp
03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
If the Bobcats are willing to take back bad contracts in exchange for Diaw so that they can get a couple assets added in as sweetener ... then the chances of Diaw getting traded are like 95%. And it sounds like that's what they are going to do.

Not good news for the Spurs if they wanted Diaw bought out. . .

ace3g
03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Yup just saw that, it was too good to be true tbh :(.

Just because several deals are being discussed doesn't mean he will be traded.

--

Meant to ask this earlier but say he was traded, could that team then buy him out and still be eligible to sign with the Spurs?

anonoftheinternets
03-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Just because several deals are being discussed doesn't mean he will be traded.

--

Meant to ask this earlier but say he was traded, could that team then buy him out and still be eligible to sign with the Spurs?

yes. but they might just use him as expiring. Unless they want to save some money this year.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Same shit, different trade deadline

lmbebo
03-14-2012, 03:55 PM
not looking good for spurs.

Hope spurs have a back up plan instead "hope for the best"

ace3g
03-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Fred Kerber on Nets beat concurs with me that Howard's current position makes it unlikely that Boris Diaw trade happens.

--

Well hopefully that is one team out of the picture

--

Oh and he just checked into the game against the Rockets

Wild Cobra Kai
03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
If the Bobcats are willing to take back bad contracts in exchange for Diaw so that they can get a couple assets added in as sweetener ... then the chances of Diaw getting traded are like 95%. And it sounds like that's what they are going to do.

Not good news for the Spurs if they wanted Diaw bought out. . .

Not sure why a buyout is unlikely if NJ gets him. They just want next year's salary relief. Once that happens, I think it just as likely they would buy him out as CHA.

ace3g
03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Blair with in injury, Diaw could be even more useful based on the severity due to "sticky floor"

kjhip1
03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Well Howard still cant make up his dang mind...apparently now he does not want to waiver his ETO...he stated he did not understand the full ramifications of doing so...Hmmmm..maybe if he went to college he would have learned some of life's lessons...so Diaw may not be bought out if Howard is still in play..

ace3g
03-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Yeah but the uncertainty of what Howard will do, can also be a good thing. Might stall just enough time for the trade deadline to pass.

outmap
03-14-2012, 08:54 PM
When will Chris Douglas Roberts contract in Italy ends? I'd love to see him as back-up to Kahwi at SF.

Russ
03-15-2012, 07:38 AM
More Hoopsworld on a possible New Jersey-Diaw deal:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nets-willing-to-trade-1st-rounder-for-diaw

ace3g
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
@KBergCBS Bobcats have no deals currently in place for Boris Diaw or D.J. Augustin.

MaNu4Tres
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Diaw and Kaman are going to be sought after hard if/when they bought out.

BOHOLANO#21
03-15-2012, 03:47 PM
i wish kaman or diaw will join the SPURS after a buyout!!!!

Bruno
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/rick_bonnell/status/180393571361366016

Asked about a buyout of Diaw, Higgins said that would be discussed in the next few days.

timvp
03-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Parker better hold Diaw hostage until he agrees to sign with the Spurs.

With D'Antoni out of NY, where else could he go?

Bruno
03-15-2012, 05:39 PM
FYI, Diaw has played three seasons with SJax (1 in Atlanta and 2 in Charlotte).

DPG21920
03-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Question Bruno: In your opinion, if Diaw is bought out and it's before Kaman (if he ends up being bought out) do the Spurs have to wait to see on Kaman or do they go for Diaw immediately?

JP le Requin
03-15-2012, 05:47 PM
and what about DERECK FISHER as our back up PG....he could get his revenge over LAKERS in PO playing for SPURS!! and he is the typical great veteran as pop like....

diaw & fisher could be really great with the come back of captain jack!!

montgod
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
and what about DERECK FISHER as our back up PG....he could get his revenge over LAKERS in PO playing for SPURS!! and he is the typical great veteran as pop like....

diaw & fisher could be really great with the come back of captain jack!!

As much as the Spurs need a backup pg, Fisher shouldn't be it. He can't defend worth anything, basically a guy's main job is to dribble to the opposite court and give the ball to someone else, and an avg spot up shooter.

lmbebo
03-15-2012, 05:51 PM
If D. Fish bought out by Rockets, new CBA prevents him from returning to the lakers this season?

JP le Requin
03-15-2012, 05:53 PM
If D. Fish bought out by Rockets, new CBA prevents him from returning to the lakers this season?

he cant go back to Lakers...
but for 8min, he can produce in san antonio?

Bruno
03-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Question Bruno: In your opinion, if Diaw is bought out and it's before Kaman (if he ends up being bought out) do the Spurs have to wait to see on Kaman or do they go for Diaw immediately?

IMO, Spurs have still gone for Diaw. When Parker said "we are very interested in him", I highly doubt he is talking from his ass. I'm quite sure Parker has already said to Diaw that POP/RC wants him if he is bought out.

Kaman is a huge gamble because it's not sure he will be bought out and Spurs will have a hard time to get an edge over a team like Miami. Pop has also be very reluctant to pair Splitter with Duncan. He could be as reluctant to pair Splitter with Kaman or Kaman with Duncan.

DPG21920
03-15-2012, 05:54 PM
IMO, Spurs have still gone for Diaw. When Parker said "we are very interested in him", I highly doubt he is talking from his ass. I'm quite sure Parker has already said to Diaw that POP/RC wants him if he is bought out.

Kaman is a huge gamble because it's not sure he will be bought out and Spurs will have a hard time to get an edge over a team like Miami. Pop has also be very reluctant to pair Splitter with Duncan. He could be as reluctant to pair Splitter with Kaman or Kaman with Duncan.

While that may be true, do you think that Pop is reluctant to pair Splitter/Duncan because that means Blair/Bonner? If so, this solves that and it's not an issue.

Parker may have said that about Diaw too which is true, but maybe they didn't think Kaman had a chance of being bought out. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

lmbebo
03-15-2012, 05:56 PM
I'd say Diaw as well for the reasons Bruno listed above.

As D.Fish, I think he could be a solid back up. He can hit the occassional 3, is a smart heady player who can manage the team when TP is out. I think the only other player out there is A. Carter.

But this assumes Houston lets him go too though.

Bruno
03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
While that may be true, do you think that Pop is reluctant to pair Splitter/Duncan because that means Blair/Bonner? If so, this solves that and it's not an issue.

You can give more minutes to the Splitter/Duncan pair without using the Bonner/Blair pair by giving Splitter more minutes. Splitter is playing 20mpg. Pop could easily give him 5 more mpg.

Parker may have said that about Diaw too which is true, but maybe they didn't think Kaman had a chance of being bought out. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well Kaman has been in buyout talks for a long time.

BackHome
03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
I would take Diaw I think him playing with Parker will bring out the best of both guys.

I hope we can move Anderson for a high second rounder to get a young PF....I wan't Cesar Lima....or even Festus.

ace3g
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
You have to sign Diaw first, don't want to risk Kaman buy out being reversed, delayed, or something similar by the league like the CP3 trade.