PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd Questions Officiating

Darth_Pelican
03-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Jason Kidd: Mavs not viewed as champs

By Jeff Caplan
ESPNDallas.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Following Monday's loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/okc/oklahoma-city-thunder), Dallas Mavericks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/dal/dallas-mavericks) point guard Jason Kidd (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/429/jason-kidd) said the defending champions haven't received the benefit of the doubt from the officiating all season because they are not looked upon as champions.

Case in point: Mavs coach Rick Carlisle couldn't believe the foul called on center Ian Mahinmi (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2774/ian-mahinmi) as he attempted to block Thunder forward Serge Ibaka (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3439/serge-ibaka)'s shot with 46.2 seconds to go, providing the winning free throws in the high-intensity matchup.

Also, Dallas led 91-87 with 2:24 left, but lost 95-91 while shooting 23 fewer free throws than the Thunder. Five of Oklahoma City's final eight points came at the free-throw line and it outscored Dallas 14-2 from the line in the fourth quarter.

"We don't get the benefit of the whistle," Kidd said. "I don't think we're looked upon as champions, but that's a whole other story. Dirk (Nowitzki) (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/609/dirk-nowitzki) should live at the line if they would call it the way it's supposed to be. But, he doesn't."
Nowitzki got to the free throw line just three times. He made them all as part of his game-high 27 points.

Carlisle believed Nowitzki -- who described the Mahinmi foul call as "brutal" -- got hacked without a call being made after the critical foul called on Mahinmi.

"I'm in disbelief that there was a foul call on Mahinmi," Carlisle said. "I just watched the play five times; I mean it's a block. It's an enormous play. And then Nowitzki gets hit on the arm at the other end and there's no call. So, I'm at a loss. I apologize for that."
The Thunder's 6-foot-10 Ibaka went up for a short hook in the lane and was challenged by the 6-foot-11 Mahinmi and his outstretched right arm.
Mahinmi said he thought he got all ball, a play that could have given Dallas possession while maintaining its 91-90 lead. But the whistle blew and Ibaka made both free throws for a 92-91 Thunder lead.

Mahinmi, who had 13 points and five rebounds coming in relief of injured starting center Brendan Haywood (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1000/brendan-haywood), said he was in disbelief at the call, but did not argue it.
"It was heat of the moment, they called a foul," Mahinmi said. "I didn't want to go up to the referee and him thinking I'm trying to use bad words and stuff, so it's unfortunate for us."
Oklahoma City held a 15-2 edge in free throw attempts in the decisive fourth quarter, and held a 33-10 edge in attempts overall for a 19-point advantage.
"Thirty-three to 10? Thirty-three free throws to 10, can I explain that?" Carlisle said. "They get to the free throw line a lot, but I don't want to be accusatory to the officials. But, I thought our guys were aggressive enough to deserve a few more chances."
After Mahinmi was whistled for the call, Kidd pled Mahinmi's case to referee Pat Fraher, to no avail. "He didn't foul him. It was a bad call. Clean block," Kidd said. "I just said (to Fraher) it wasn't a foul. He blocked the ball and after the play he said he bumped him with his body. I don't think so. It was a bad night for the officials. It happens."

Fpoonsie
03-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Good...

...not that it'll matter.

pass1st
03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
They should start off OKC games with Durant & Westbrick shooting 20-25 free throws and just not make any calls for them the rest of the game.

Giuseppe
03-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Only pussies & assholes blame the officiating.

mavs>spurs
03-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I question that shit ass officiating too, only because the Thunder tend to get a lot of homecooking not just when they play my team. It's pretty sad whenever they do a lot of underhanded bullshit like this to help the "popular" teams whenever it's to the detriment of real fans who just want to watch an honest basketball game.

Reck
03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah that's true about the champion thing.

Mavs just dont feel like a championship team.

Dex
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Kidd will get a fine, and the Thunder will continue to get all the whistles.

It is really weird, though, how a team of jump shooters lives at the line like they do.

Trill Clinton
03-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Gotdayum when will the crying stop. They been crying about not being respected as champs since they won. What more do they want? another parade? another ring?

rayjayjohnson
03-06-2012, 04:39 PM
If he was complaining that he thinks the officiating isn't unbiased, I'd agree with him.

If, however, he's complaining because the mavs don't get the calls because they're 'not looked upon as champions', he can eat a bowl of dick.

what, does winning mean you get a license to shoot freebies? fuck this dinosaur.

BUMP
03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
If, however, he's complaining because the mavs don't get the calls because they're 'not looked upon as champions', he can eat a bowl of dick.

what, does winning mean you get a license to shoot freebies? fuck this dinosaur.

Agreed.

I think it's retarded that championship teams should "get the benefit of the doubt" from the refs. It's almost universally accepted in the NBA and I never understood it.

crc21209
03-06-2012, 05:03 PM
So Kidd says Dirk (who's mainly a jump shooter) should be living at the line? :lol

Cry Havoc
03-06-2012, 05:15 PM
I question that shit ass officiating too, only because the Thunder tend to get a lot of homecooking not just when they play my team. It's pretty sad whenever they do a lot of underhanded bullshit like this to help the "popular" teams whenever it's to the detriment of real fans who just want to watch an honest basketball game.

Isn't Dallas the 4/5th largest market in the US, about 3-4 times the size of OKC's market?

mavs>spurs
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I never mentioned anything about the size of markets. I'm saying that the Thunder are the "young, exciting team" that the NBA is pushing. OKC itself isn't a big market but kevin durant appeals to the casual fan who just tunes in to catch a game. A simple glance at the schedule shows that a quarter of their remaining games will be aired on national tv. Not many teams get as much coverage as they do. Try not to be dense.

Latarian Milton
03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
mavs just bitching bout refs as they usually do tbh. thunder got more freebies because they played more aggressively but the softass mavs believed the refs were biased, pathetic losers tbh.

last season was a fluke and you know you ain't havin no chance repeatin it this season

DMC
03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Durant drives to the rim and his long arms mean defenders hit his forearms when going for the ball. He's deceptively quick so he catches them out of position forcing them to foul. He's great at finishing afterward or at least attempting the shot.

No one is trying to boost OKC. It's a bad endeavor.

Darth_Pelican
03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Jason Kidd fined for comments

Updated: March 7, 2012, 4:15 PM ET
By Tim MacMahon (http://search.espn.go.com/macmahon_tim/) | ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Mavericks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=dal) point guard Jason Kidd (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/429/jason-kidd) has been fined $25,000 for public criticism of game officials, the NBA announced Wednesday.
Kidd complained after Monday's 95-91 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=okc), saying that Dallas doesn't get the respect from referees it deserves as defending NBA champion.
"We don't get the benefit of the whistle," Kidd said. "I don't think we're looked upon as champions, but that's a whole other story. Dirk [Nowitzki] should live at the line if they would call it the way it's supposed to be. But he doesn't."

The Mavericks were upset about a 33-10 disparity in free throws in Oklahoma City's favor and were particularly displeased with a critical foul call on center Ian Mahinmi (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2774/ian-mahinmi) that sent Thunder power forward Serge Ibaka (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3439/serge-ibaka) to the line for the go-ahead free throws with 46.2 seconds remaining. The Mavericks thought it was a clean block by Mahinmi.
"I'm in disbelief that there was a foul call on Mahinmi," said Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, who was not fined by the league. "I just watched the play five times. I mean, it's a block. It's an enormous play. And then Nowitzki gets hit on the arm at the other end and there's no call. So, I'm at a loss. I apologize for that."
Added Kidd: "He didn't foul him. It was a bad call. Clean block. I just said [to the official] it wasn't a foul. He blocked the ball and after the play he said he bumped him with his body. I don't think so. It was a bad night for the officials. It happens."
The Mavericks have had complaints about officiating the last two times they played the Thunder, the team Dallas beat in the Western Conference finals last season.
Owner Mark Cuban was fined $75,000 for comments made after the Mavs' Feb. 1 home loss to the Thunder. Cuban said then that he hadn't seen officiating "this bad in a long, long time" -- openly questioning how the lockout-compressed schedule affects referees -- and that the officiating crew's performance in that game was "just off-the-charts bad."
Carlisle was fined $35,000 after that game for inadvertently kicking a ball into the stands, a result of his frustration with a no-call.
This is the fourth time in Kidd's 18-year career that he has been fined for criticizing officiating. He was last fined $20,000 in December 2006 for a rant in which he referred to the officiating crew as "the three blind mice" after his New Jersey Nets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=njn) lost 92-91 to the Detroit Pistons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=det).

DMC
03-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Kidd isn't known for bitching about refs. He's right though, how can they be looked upon as champs when most of those who got them there were sent packing?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Mavs l:loll
Piss all over that whole organization. And twice on Terry.

I cant recall any team whoring their one championship this much.

Fabbs
03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Didn't see whole game and most of the alleged offenses, however did see the last couple minutes.
While i agree Ians block looked good, shortly thereafter Westbrook corralled an offensive rebound and was clearly blocked by Turtlehead attempting to steal. I mean clear cut. Yet no call.

Also the Floppin Frauline deserves about 1/3rd of the FTs he gets along with his slacker no feet defense that has him arm hacking -with no call- on about 1/4th of the times the speedier 3s and 4s go past him like an autobahn trafficone.

Brazil
03-07-2012, 05:24 PM
OKC has benefited a lot of some biased officiating since the beginning of the season... no doubt about that

Reck
03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I guess they heard Kidd. All the calls went for the Mavs last night.

BUMP
03-07-2012, 06:42 PM
I guess they heard Kidd. All the calls went for the Mavs last night.

:tu

tbh that was the whole reason he complained anyway. With the way today's NBA referees get cuckolded so easily, obviously they're gonna give in to a Hall of Famer fresh off a champion when he says they need more calls

BUMP
03-07-2012, 06:44 PM
And then there is the whining. It's normal for fans to boo calls against their teams, but I've been to many arenas and stadiums in my life and no fans (except for perhaps Sacramento fans, but I've never been to Arco) whine as loudly as Mavs fans. Mark Cuban, for everything he has done for the Mavs team, has created a "Culture of Bitching" at Mavericks games. Every semi-controversial call is replayed on the jumbotron. Every foul is either a flop or a mugging, depending on the recipient's team. A movie clip was shown from "A Christmas Story" where Scott Farcas badgers Ralphie with the taunt of "What, are you gonna CRY now? Come on, baby, CRYYYYYY..." and not five seconds later, fans were hysterical over an offensive foul call.

redzero
03-07-2012, 06:48 PM
And then there is the whining. It's normal for fans to boo calls against their teams, but I've been to many arenas and stadiums in my life and no fans (except for perhaps Sacramento fans, but I've never been to Arco) whine as loudly as Mavs fans. Mark Cuban, for everything he has done for the Mavs team, has created a "Culture of Bitching" at Mavericks games. Every semi-controversial call is replayed on the jumbotron. Every foul is either a flop or a mugging, depending on the recipient's team. A movie clip was shown from "A Christmas Story" where Scott Farcas badgers Ralphie with the taunt of "What, are you gonna CRY now? Come on, baby, CRYYYYYY..." and not five seconds later, fans were hysterical over an offensive foul call.

Even though this is copypasta, I'm always annoyed when people in the crowd complain about calls that were obviously correct.

An example would be when David West karate chopped a Timberwolves player and was thrown out of the game because of it. People in the crowd were booing even though they knew it was the correct thing to do.

BUMP
03-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Even though this is copypasta, I'm always annoyed when people in the crowd complain about calls that were obviously correct.

An example would be when David West karate chopped a Timberwolves player and was thrown out of the game because of it. People in the crowd were booing even though they knew it was the correct thing to do.

sons I go to Texas Tech, and our fans are the absolute worst at this kind of thing.

tbh if the same spurfans who got so butthurt about the AAC ever had to come to Lubbock to watch a football game, there heads would explode

Viva Las Espuelas
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Watching games there is very nauseating. Half the people in attendance don't know a game is being played in the first place.

William Hung
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Rick is just taking his spot now that Phil is gone. You will see subtle tidbits like this from players such as Jason as the playoffs get closer. All I know is that you will never hear anything like this from a classy organization such as the San Antonio Spurs.