PDA

View Full Version : This is NOT a Bonner hate thread

Spursfan092120
03-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Did he really only take one shot in 15 minutes? Dude is finally starting to pick his game up and get some confidence, and he takes one shot in 15 minutes? Seriously?

Borosai
03-08-2012, 12:34 AM
He's the anti-Kobe. I applaud his efforts.

Spursfan092120
03-08-2012, 12:40 AM
He's the anti-Kobe. I applaud his efforts.

This is extreme though..the guy is on a hot streak. If he kills the streak himself by not shooting, that will piss me off.

jestersmash
03-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Bonner can't just "decide" to take X amount of shots per game. He takes whatever the defense gives him. If Tony or Manu penetrate and kick to a wide open Bonner, he'll take the shot 85-90% of the time (I've seen him hesitate occasionally and drive the ball in much to the dismay of Spurs fans, but it's not bad).

Really this goes for the Spurs team as a whole. More often than not, players take whatever shots are given to them.

To blindly look at a box score and go "Oh, Bonner only took 1 shot there must be something wrong!" is utterly amateurish. That's not how the game works.

You could maybe make a similar request of an elite guard like Tony or Manu (or Gary Neal to a lesser extent). They can create their own shot off the dribble, so it's not totally unreasonable to ask them to take X shots per game (ex. Pop asked Tony to take 20-25 shots during the OKC game). But Bonner? Seriously? He's a spot up 3 point shooter. How the hell can any reasonable Spurs fan demand that he take a predetermined amount of shots per game? Ludicrous....

If he was just passing up open shots left and right from good dribble penetration or pick and pop plays, then you can criticize him for not taking the open shot. That wasn't the case tonight.

sehui
03-08-2012, 04:02 AM
We won the game man. Calm down. Obviously he was making the right passes since we just blew out the opposing team

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2012, 04:27 AM
who here thinks bonner and rj every time on the court plays like participating in equestrian, they fkn do nothing but prance up and down the court to make up the numbers

Chase_the_Bass
03-08-2012, 04:29 AM
Mike 'Antoni's defensive plan was to shut him down and let the rest sort itself out.

Fireball
03-08-2012, 04:33 AM
If Bonner gets an open shot, he takes it 90% of the time. He gets open shots by guards penetrating and kicking the ball out to him. Against the Knicks the "kicking" was not necessary, because penetration most of the time led to an easy layup ...

Still Gary Neal and RJ had more opportunities than Bonner and did not convert them ...

Dex
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Bonner didn't take many shots because he wasn't getting open looks. He had the bizarro-Bonner Steve Novak on him most of the time, and those two were hawking each other on the perimeter (since they both basically play the same floor game).

Considering Bonner doesn't seem to do very well with contested looks, I'd prefer him not to try to do too much if he is not being left open, and that's exactly what he did.

SpurNation
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
As mentioned before...Bonner's shots come from drive and kick. Spurs penetrating guards had no reason to "kick" because they practically were issued lay up drills courtesy of a porous Knick defense in the paint.

thispego
03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Bonner can't just "decide" to take X amount of shots per game. He takes whatever the defense gives him. If Tony or Manu penetrate and kick to a wide open Bonner, he'll take the shot 85-90% of the time (I've seen him hesitate occasionally and drive the ball in much to the dismay of Spurs fans, but it's not bad).

Really this goes for the Spurs team as a whole. More often than not, players take whatever shots are given to them.

To blindly look at a box score and go "Oh, Bonner only took 1 shot there must be something wrong!" is utterly amateurish. That's not how the game works.
You could maybe make a similar request of an elite guard like Tony or Manu (or Gary Neal to a lesser extent). They can create their own shot off the dribble, so it's not totally unreasonable to ask them to take X shots per game (ex. Pop asked Tony to take 20-25 shots during the OKC game). But Bonner? Seriously? He's a spot up 3 point shooter. How the hell can any reasonable Spurs fan demand that he take a predetermined amount of shots per game? Ludicrous....

If he was just passing up open shots left and right from good dribble penetration or pick and pop plays, then you can criticize him for not taking the open shot. That wasn't the case tonight.

stick to what you know, 90210, wwf

Bruno
03-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Bonner is third in the NBA for 3 points made per minute this season behind Novak and Ryan Anderson. So when you look at the bigger picture, it's hard to blame Bonner for not shooting enough.

And since we're taking about Bonner, he is having a damn good season so far. He is shooting very well the ball (46.2% from behind the arc) and is doing a fine job defending backup PFs. Even his poor rebounding doesn't hurt the team. Bonner definitively deserves props for what he is doing this year. It may not be the more popular thought but he is a big part why Spurs have a so good record despite their injuries. There sis till the problem of Bonner disappearing in the playoffs but that's another story.

Way to go, Red Rocket. :tu

YoMamaIsCallin
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
As mentioned before...Bonner's shots come from drive and kick. Spurs penetrating guards had no reason to "kick" because they practically were issued lay up drills courtesy of a porous Knick defense in the paint.

Exactly what I was going to post. Bonner got one open look in transition and nailed it. Mostly the Spurs were running the stupidest offense ever... high screen and roll, PG and big... with the other three players getting out of the way. Why? Because it worked. The Spurs didn't even have to have options off of it, most of the time, so the others didn't have much to do.

Hey, if they can't/won't stop it, keep running it. Easy win.

therealtruth
03-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Bonner is third in the NBA for 3 points made per minute this season behind Novak and Ryan Anderson. So when you look at the bigger picture, it's hard to blame Bonner for not shooting enough.

And since we're taking about Bonner, he is having a damn good season so far. He is shooting very well the ball (46.2% from behind the arc) and is doing a fine job defending backup PFs. Even his poor rebounding doesn't hurt the team. Bonner definitively deserves props for what he is doing this year. It may not be the more popular thought but he is a big part why Spurs have a so good record despite their injuries. There sis till the problem of Bonner disappearing in the playoffs but that's another story.

Splitter is making him look good.

therealtruth
03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Exactly what I was going to post. Bonner got one open look in transition and nailed it. Mostly the Spurs were running the stupidest offense ever... high screen and roll, PG and big... with the other three players getting out of the way. Why? Because it worked. The Spurs didn't even have to have options off of it, most of the time, so the others didn't have much to do.

Hey, if they can't/won't stop it, keep running it. Easy win.

They will stop it in the playoffs.

z0sa
03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Unlike most Spurs fans, Bonner realizes he is a role player.

Spursfan092120
03-08-2012, 08:56 PM
stick to what you know, 90210, wwf

lol thisbitch just can't stop trying to find ways to insult me. Are you really that stuck on me? Do I know you? Because honestly things that come out of your mouth mean absolute shit...you're a joke to me, son.

Spursfan092120
03-08-2012, 08:57 PM

I agree..that's why I made sure people knew it wasn't a Bonner hate thread. He's made huge strides this year. Just got irritated that he only took one shot last night.

Spursfan092120
03-08-2012, 10:43 PM
5 meaningless cliches in one post

I reiterate my previous statement

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2012, 10:52 PM
matt bonner just like every 3pt expert b4 him on this team, still needs to show it in the playoffs...