PDA

View Full Version : LOL Stoudemire proving he's a brainfart

100%duncan
03-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Didn't see this posted in this spurs forum so here it goes.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AkxGTMLeyCsmnYhzwu2mREK8vLYF?gid=201203 0724

Amare Stoudemire, who had 18 points and 11 rebounds, took a different view after a game in which New York trailed by as much as 24 in the second half.

“(The Spurs) don’t have nearly enough talent to compete with us,” Stoudemire said. “Our personnel, our talent is off the charts.”

ezau
03-08-2012, 05:20 AM
The worst max contract player in NBA history.

Hoops Czar
03-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Amare needs to take a long hard look in the mirror. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is.

100%duncan
03-08-2012, 05:28 AM
LOL can't accept that he's the biggest liability of the team

Kuestmaster
03-08-2012, 05:35 AM
http://www.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Camron-You-Mad.jpg

Fireball
03-08-2012, 05:38 AM
his defense is so bad ... to even think some Spurs fans wanted him on the team is ridiculous

Darkwaters
03-08-2012, 06:10 AM
I've never been a fan of Amare either as a person or a player. Hes an idiot off the court and a traffic cone on it.

DMC
03-08-2012, 09:17 AM
What he's actually saying is that they aren't coached properly and/or they aren't mentally prepared. How else could you explain superior talent, inferior results?

Mal
03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
:lmao There are 0.500 team only because some asian kid had great games. Those overpaid morons are .333 at best.

acoelho1
03-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I hadn't seen Amare play in awhile and he looks like a shell of his form self. Clearly those surgeries have taken a toll on his athleticism. I'm sure the Knicks are regretting giving him that deal. In terms of his comments, he has been saying that since the Phoenix days when the supposedly more talented Suns were getting defeated each year by the Spurs.

hater
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM
we should send a transcript of the ESPN spanish feed to Amare :lol

it was funny to hear the spanish guys talk about the knicks the darling of the nba. a few quotes:

"look at D'antoni's face, he looks like he's gona cry"

"did melo just cower himself instead of going for the block?"

"Amare never averaged double digits rebounding for any year in his career. You know something true superstars would do"

"JR doing what he does best, shooting"

"Lin is averaging good numbers for a good player. But if he averaged what he did his first 6 games, we'd be talking about a superstar. Clearly, he's not that"

"Chandler is the MVP of this knick team by far"

"Carmelo does some really dumb mistakes"

"Amare doesn't go for blocks"

YoMamaIsCallin
03-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I've consistently said ever since the Suns days when Amare was getting voted onto the all-NBA team that he was more of a liability than an asset to a team. Just like Carmelo. Now they are both on the same team with another hugely overrated person coaching, Mike D'Antoni. And they are at best an 8 seed and out in the first round.

I've had friends who are Knicks fans who creamed their jeans when Amare and then Carmelo came to the Knicks. I told them it would be a net negative for the Knicks and a net positive for the teams they left, the Suns and the Nuggets. I was right on both counts.

People who don't understand how basketball teams actually win games get super excited about playground type beasts like Carmelo and Amare. They are stupid.

Sean Elliott made a very insightful comment about Amare last night. He said that if Amare got his head straight and got motivated to play defense and rebound, he could have been the next Hakeem Olajuwan. I think that's exactly right. But he never progressed as a player and thus he's nothing but a really talented Globetrotter playing in the NBA.

Carmelo is similar but not the same. He's much more talented offensively than Amare. But he's even worse (if that's possible) on defense. Plus, Carmelo has to have the ball to score, and create his own shot or drive, so he sucks up possessions and the team ends up standing around and watching him. Notice how the Knicks got cold and Linsanity ended after Carmelo came back? Not a coincidence.

Cane
03-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Amar'e always talked to the media like he was a boxer hyping up the next match.

But damn he really does look like a mannequin on the court like what Sean Elliott said

Tbh hard for me to hate on Amar'e too much after he lost his bro earlier in the season.

Spur|n|Austin
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Just like they said on the WOAI post game show, he's simply just a tier 2 player; always has been, always will be. Same for Carmelo for that matter.

gameFACE
03-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Amare & D'Antoni - two guys who will never win anything.

Leetonidas
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i6egJd198Fg/Twb-hYgDRiI/AAAAAAAABkU/vpkwdAm_xvg/s400/rashard430_11.jpg

This guy says hi.

As for the Amaretard quote...I don't get it, this has to be out of context or something because it makes no sense :lol

Duncan, Parker, Ginobili > Chandler, Melo, and Amare EASILY. Parker is a legitimate (though unlikely) MVP candidate while Melo's old team is doing better without him even with injuries to Gallo and Nene (as well as losing Smith and Martin) and Amare's scoring average is down 8 points this season and that's all he's even good at :lol Sean was completely right, this guy plays LITERALLY no defense.

gospursgojas
03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
hes the next Dream according to Sean

spurs1990
03-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Turn on ESPN2 right now. They're talking about it on the group panel.

Stalin
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i6egJd198Fg/Twb-hYgDRiI/AAAAAAAABkU/vpkwdAm_xvg/s400/rashard430_11.jpg

This guy says hi.

As for the Amaretard quote...I don't get it, this has to be out of context or something because it makes no sense :lol

Duncan, Parker, Ginobili > Chandler, Melo, and Amare EASILY. Parker is a legitimate (though unlikely) MVP candidate while Melo's old team is doing better without him even with injuries to Gallo and Nene (as well as losing Smith and Martin) and Amare's scoring average is down 8 points this season and that's all he's even good at :lol Sean was completely right, this guy plays LITERALLY no defense.

rashard is good in nba2k, tbh
he's giving me 40 5 5 on the spurs

bklynspursfan
03-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Full quote (which makes more sense)

"You watch San Antonio," Stoudemire said. "They don't have nearly enough talent to compete with us. Our talent level, personnel, is off the charts. But what they do well is they keep the floor spaced and make sure those guys execute the plays."

"That's something we've got to do, keep the floor spaced and keep the ball moving and get everyone involved."

Bruno
03-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Stoudamire is right.

Spurs don't have a that good record because of their talent but because they play right. While I don't think there is an unique right way to play basketball, there still are right ways and bad ways to play it. Because of Pop and some great vet leadership, the whole Spurs' team is mostly playing a right way and it helps them to overcome their relative lack of talent.

rasho8
03-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Knicks seem to be better without Amare and Carmelo... hmmm... who could the problems with spacing the floor and moving the ball be.

YoMamaIsCallin
03-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Well, exactly. Having a good offense in the NBA is about maximizing good shot opportunities. A bench player in the NBA who has an open shot in rhythm is better than Carmelo Anthony forcing up a tough off balance one from 22 feet. Obviously the best shot opportunity is a transition layup or dunk so good defense leads to good offense. But once the defense gets set and you go into your offense, ANYONE in the NBA can get a shot off at ANY TIME. The question is, are you going to (a) actually participate in the offense set, (b) expend mental focus and physical energy participating WELL, even if your role is just to set a screen or make a cut to clear out an area, and (c) MOVE THE BALL to someone to get a better shot? In (c) I'm not just talking about assists, I'm talking about general ball movement... you don't pound or squeeze the air out of the ball, you MOVE IT and maybe the guy 2 or 3 passes away is the one who gets the good shot, because you got the defense reacting by your first pass.

On offense in the NBA, if you don't have players who are WILLING to do the work I outlined above, EVEN IF it does not end up being points or assists for you that show up on the stat sheet, at the HIGHEST LEVEL Of intensity.......

you are the New York Knicks and waste a WHOLE SHIT TON of innate ability, not to mention money, being a mediocre team.

And, yes, Carmelo and Amare are the prime offenders.

SenorSpur
03-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Amare continues display a low BBIQ - both on and off the court. If both Amare and Carmelo devoted half as much attention to defense as they both do to offense, perhaps the Knicks would be better. In the end, it all goes back to their head coach - the man with 3 first names.

polandprzem
03-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Stoudamire is right.

Spurs don't have a that good record because of their talent but because they play right. While I don't think there is an unique right way to play basketball, there still are right ways and bad ways to play it. Because of Pop and some great vet leadership, the whole Spurs' team is mostly playing a right way and it helps them to overcome their relative lack of talent.
That's why watching the spurs is something better.

You looka at bad teams and they are not as interesting in play as the spurs are.

the talk is the spurs are boring but they are great basketball machine.

And props to pop that he could change the style of the spurs during all those years.

8FOR!3
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
I mean after hearing the full quote, I guess I kinda get what he's saying. Carmelo Anthony's supposed to be best scorer in the NBA elite, Amar'e is essentially a career 25 and 8 guy. Tyson Chandler's a defensive big who had a big part in the championship he won last year. Jeremy Lin, is one of the biggest names in basketball right now regardless of his actual skill set. Steve Novak's getting a lot of hype lately because he's been scoring at a solid rate with Lin there and to the fact that he's probably the best shooter in the world. I have no idea how Baron Davis is doing, I doubt he's done though. He's probably a solid backup PG. Landry Fields, JR Smith, and Bill Walker gives them solid depth at the two guard position.

Now I don't really agree that they've got better personnel than the Spurs per se, but I see where he's coming from.

FromWayDowntown
03-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Because of Pop and some great vet leadership, the whole Spurs' team is mostly playing a right way and it helps them to overcome their relative lack of talent.

What???

This can't be right! Spurs fans think Popovich is a hard-headed moron. He can't possibly have anything to do with his team's continuing ability to play at a high level.

Sense
03-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah I agree, he's right... Just look at our starters, we seem to have a different 2 every 2 weeks, and we constantly get poor play from our 3 and 4... technically they are more talented, but talent is nothing without great coaching and teamwork.

Cow Eye
03-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Wait...Amare said that AFTER the game? That guy is a joke. I'll never forget his push-up taunt and subsequent Manu beat-down.

baseline bum
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM

Sorry man; Kemp was way worse. Brian Grant too.

baseline bum
03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Allan Houston and Eddie Jones were probably worse also.

YoMamaIsCallin
03-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I mean after hearing the full quote, I guess I kinda get what he's saying.

Yeah, if you think a real basketball team is just like a fantasy basketball team.

jestersmash
03-08-2012, 04:19 PM

"You watch San Antonio," Stoudemire said. "They don't have nearly enough talent to compete with us. Our talent level, personnel, is off the charts. But what they do well is they keep the floor spaced and make sure those guys execute the plays."

"That's something we've got to do, keep the floor spaced and keep the ball moving and get everyone involved."

This is exactly why I can't stand dishonest journalism.

The full quote isn't nearly as bad as "The Spurs don't have enough talent to compete with us, our talent rocks!!!"

JMarkJohns
03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Sometimes the insecurity of a fanbase whose team has won four titles in the last 13 seasons is astonishing.

SenorSpur
03-08-2012, 05:04 PM

When you read it in context, it makes sense.

Johnny RIngo
03-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Huge fail on the sport writer's part, drubbing up controversy that isn't there. Really hate it when these guys use out of context quotes like that to make their shitty articles more interesting.

Anonymous Cowherd
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
No, sorry, this isn't "out of context". Putting it fully mellows it a little, but the quote hasn't been taken "out of context", it's simply been curtailed. That would have been, eg.

"The Spurs are a great team. I mean, it's easy to look at them and be tempted to think they don't have nearly enough talent to compete with us. Our talent level, personell, is off the charts.... etc"

Because there is a specific context into which the quote has been placed, which when removed means that the information will be misunderstood.

Amar'e really was saying that the New York Knicks have vastly more talent in comparison to the Spurs. He was wrong, and we shouldn't bail him out by accepting the sort of lame back-handed insult-turned-compliments you usually throw a team you've blown out, but he has the hubris to say after a resounding loss.

Goran Dragic
03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I've had friends who are Knicks fans who creamed their jeans when Amare and then Carmelo came to the Knicks. I told them it would be a net negative for the Knicks and a net positive for the teams they left, the Suns and the Nuggets. I was right on both counts.
The Suns went from the conference finals to the lottery after they let Amare leave, so you'd have to be extremely retarded to say you were "right" about the Suns benefiting from Amare leaving.

z0sa
03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
:sleep

Goran Dragic
03-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah I agree, he's right... Just look at our starters, we seem to have a different 2 every 2 weeks, and we constantly get poor play from our 3 and 4... technically they are more talented, but talent is nothing without great coaching and teamwork.
I think that was his point

Goran Dragic
03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Amare continues display a low BBIQ - both on and off the court. If both Amare and Carmelo devoted half as much attention to defense as they both do to offense, perhaps the Knicks would be better. In the end, it all goes back to their head coach - the man with 3 first names.
The Knicks have the 9th best defensive rating in the NBA and the 23rd best offensive rating in the NBA.

Yeah that's it! Defense must be the problem!

timtonymanu
03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
CROFL Suns are better without Amare? You can say that about Melo, but Suns really miss Amare's presence.

After hearing the full quote, I don't see anything wrong about what Stoudemire said.

JMarkJohns
03-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Pre-Carmelo, Stoudemire was bandied about as an MVP candidate, and not just because of New York. From November to January of 2010-11 Amare was highly efficient offensively, scoring 24-29 ppg on 50-54% shooting, with 9-10 rpg, 2-3 bpg and 1+ spg. Knicks were over .500 with Amare as their star.

Enter Anthony, and Amare's scoring efficiency plummets, touches decline, and, when Amare isn't fully motivated himself, his peripherals suffer, and D'Antoni sure as hell isn't going to inspire him to defend, rebound, play passionately. Knicks are sub .500 with Anthony.

I know people love to hate Amare... but look at the rosters. He's not inaccurate in saying that New York has more talent. They have three star players supposedly in the dominant prime (Amare, Anthony, Chandler) and several young talents (Lin, Smith, Fields, Shumpert) and yet they get trounced because of all the little things the Spurs do so well that D'Antoni continues to ignore.

pgardn
03-08-2012, 07:16 PM
This is exactly why I can't stand dishonest journalism.

The full quote isn't nearly as bad as "The Spurs don't have enough talent to compete with us, our talent rocks!!!"

He can say this kind of stuff all he wants. But he either will not, or cannot accomplish what he says his team must do as an individual player. He is basically touting team play while he personally cant deliver what he thinks is needed. This is rich, in bovine residue.

Notice there was no mention of defense. Amare, how do you think you played on the defensive end?

"I totally sucked. I really got to work on that part of my game.."

Has anyone ever heard this uttered?

pgardn
03-08-2012, 07:23 PM
The Knicks have the 9th best defensive rating in the NBA and the 23rd best offensive rating in the NBA.

Yeah that's it! Defense must be the problem!

Watch the frggn games and tell me why NY WAS rated 9th. Tyson Chandler and role players along with Lin in, and Amare and Carmello out.

NY is still a capable team if Chandler, Jeffries and Shumpert are on the court and play D.

Trill Clinton
03-08-2012, 07:24 PM
self ether

Goran Dragic
03-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Watch the frggn games and tell me why NY WAS rated 9th. Tyson Chandler and role players along with Lin in, and Amare and Carmello out.

NY is still a capable team if Chandler, Jeffries and Shumpert are on the court and play D.
New York is rated 9th, meaning they weren't only playing good D when Melo and Amare have been out.

This year, offense has been the bigger problem for the Knicks.

DPG21920
03-08-2012, 08:05 PM
The Suns went from the conference finals to the lottery after they let Amare leave, so you'd have to be extremely retarded to say you were "right" about the Suns benefiting from Amare leaving.

Well considering you and others are claiming Amare is "on the decline" or "no longer in his prime" even though he's still young, it would make a lot more sense as to why the Suns let him go.

therealtruth
03-08-2012, 08:26 PM

The Suns didn't want to let Stoudemire leave. They just didn't want to give 100M for a guy with an injury history. NY didn't care and gave him the 100M anyway. Now Stoudemire has been relatively healthy it seems like a gamble the Suns took and lost.

pgardn
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM
New York is rated 9th, meaning they weren't only playing good D when Melo and Amare have been out.

This year, offense has been the bigger problem for the Knicks.

Their defense is awful without Chandler. They have absolutely no one to guard the rim. Carmello caught on a backdoor against Leonard while just wandering around. It has got to be seriously depressing to watch this team play D. We ran very basic plays and just killed them. Amare is a HUGE liability.

I have seen the difference.

This is not the Los Angeles Lakers. They really do have a problem offensively and their D keeps them close. And I have no idea what they are rated.

Goran Dragic
03-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Well considering you and others are claiming Amare is "on the decline" or "no longer in his prime" even though he's still young, it would make a lot more sense as to why the Suns let him go.
Given the alternative routes the Suns had available, it didn't.

Building around Amare is by no means an ideal scenario, but it was the best scenario available for them.

Regardless it has nothing to do with the post you responded to. Letting Amare leave has been anything but helpful for the Suns.

Goran Dragic
03-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Their defense is awful without Chandler.
Neat. Last I checked they have Chandler so their defense without him isn't an issue. They are statistically a good defensive team and a horrid offensive team. I'm not saying Amare and Melo are huge reasons why they're playing good defense, my point is the overplayed opinion that, "Amare and Melo would be great if they focused on defense!" isn't why they're losing.

lmbebo
03-08-2012, 09:58 PM
The Suns didn't want to let Stoudemire leave. They just didn't want to give 100M for a guy with an injury history. NY didn't care and gave him the 100M anyway. Now Stoudemire has been relatively healthy it seems like a gamble the Suns took and lost.

Dallas took the same gamble with Nash. Prior to Nash leaving for PHX again, Dalas scouffed at giving him the money PHX did because Nash had multiple injuries while in Dallas.

Spursfanfromafar
03-08-2012, 10:15 PM
The Knicks are the anti-Spurs.

They have roasted their roster to get a middling player who poses as a superstar, can't play enough defense and relies on ISOs thereby never buying into the team concept. They could have done far better with Gallinari, Chandler, Felton, Mozgov (and Corey Brewer whom they waived). Amare for all his talent, still can't play a lick of defense.

The only player who buys into the team concept and deserves his pay check on the squad is Tyson Chandler. And even he is limited in his offense.

The Knicks - a very big market team - have had the worst GM in history in the past decade, a remarkably stupid owner, a terribly spending team for minimal returns, and now feature a squad of either overhyped youngins (Lin) or overhyped prima donnas (Anthony & Amare).

Just write the opposite of the previous para and we get the Spurs.

dbreiden83080
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Amare is one of the most one dimensional players of all time..

and he doesn't even do that one thing as well anymore..

DPG21920
03-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Tbh Goran only likes him because of his religion.

The Truth #6
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I don't see a problem with that full quote. It might be one of the more intelligent things he's said.

On a tangent: it's shocking to see what a mess the Knicks still are. It's like Isiah Thomas is still running things: trading all their depth for Carmelo when they could have had him a few months later in free agency, combining the two most underachieving "superstars" in the league, adding dumb asses like JR Smith, going on a hot streak with Lin practically by accident...this latest trend of mediocrity post-Linsanity must be depressing for their fanbase.

Drachen
03-08-2012, 10:51 PM
I've never been a fan of Amare either as a person or a player. Hes an idiot off the court and a traffic cone on it.

Yi Jianlian's chair was a better defender by at least a factor of 6

Reck
03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
He's obviously looking for a response.

He will find none from the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2012, 10:59 PM
i still remember this turd doing pushups in 05 and bricking the 2 freebies at the line...

DMC
03-08-2012, 11:28 PM
I don't see a problem with that full quote. It might be one of the more intelligent things he's said.

On a tangent: it's shocking to see what a mess the Knicks still are. It's like Isiah Thomas is still running things: trading all their depth for Carmelo when they could have had him a few months later in free agency, combining the two most underachieving "superstars" in the league, adding dumb asses like JR Smith, going on a hot streak with Lin practically by accident...this latest trend of mediocrity post-Linsanity must be depressing for their fanbase.
But their fanbase deserves to have a shitty team.

Goran Dragic
03-08-2012, 11:49 PM

D'antoni without an elite PG is about as incompetent as Isiah Thomas.

purist
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Knicks may have the lowest collective basketball IQ of any team in the NBA. Amare and Melo are at the top of that list. After seeing just one game, it's appaent why Lin impacted the team so much earlier this season. No one else on the floor moves the ball; everyone else just plays one on one bball. Lin forced them to share the ball...and it helped that Amare and Melo weren't on the floor at the same time.

100%duncan
03-09-2012, 06:27 AM

link? didnt see it on yahoo sports,tbh

Agloco
03-09-2012, 11:34 AM
lol lost without Nash

YoMamaIsCallin
03-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Given the alternative routes the Suns had available, it didn't.

Building around Amare is by no means an ideal scenario, but it was the best scenario available for them.

Regardless it has nothing to do with the post you responded to. Letting Amare leave has been anything but helpful for the Suns.

I disagree, they weren't going to go any higher than they did with Amare. They needed to get out from under that contract. They probably also need an ownership change, Sarver does not seem to be a "I'm going to spend the money it takes to win" kind of owner.

They have been hurt by losing Brooks to China, but he should be coming back in a couple of weeks. Gortat was a great pickup. Now if they can trade Nash for something they should be OK for the rest of the 2012 season and maybe even make the playoffs.