PDA

View Full Version : This is a Team

Ghost Writer
06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Long time, no hear, playas.

I am still every bit as much a Spurs fan as ever, but you know that sometimes life has a funny way of consuming you --
(closing on the first little house, getting married, fiancee recently got diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, we're both in a bunch of other weddings this summer, etc. So I apologize for not posting in, like, months.

When things are hectic, it's nice to escape for a couple hours and enjoy your favorite team, especially when it's a team that "does it the right way," like the Spurs.

Some dumb broad I work with here said this morning, "I just can't get into this series." I responded flatly, "How can you not enjoy an overtime thriller?" She goes, "I just can't get excited about these teams." I go, "Oh yeah, you're Lakers aren't in it." Mind you, I live in friggin' Connecticut.

Anyway, last night seemed like the big payoff after four blowouts. It was like the Spurs landed a right hook in Games 1 & 2 and then the Pistons fired back with a left jab of their own in Games 3 & 4. Last night was big... to say the least.

Historically, the Spurs do not respond well when getting punched in the mouth, so to speak. I am reminded of Hakeem beating David, the Lakers sweeping the Spurs, the Lakers coming back on San Antonio last playoffs.

I was, admittedly, nervous before Game 5. But something I kept telling myself, was "All we need is one in Detroit and this can be it."

Also, this is not just Robinson and a bunch of okay players or Duncan surrounded by mediocrity.

This is a team.

I will admit that although I still think the Spurs could've been more agressive in putting established talent around Duncan in the past, the current and future state of the Spurs looks great.

It helps that Shaq and Kobe divorced, but, hey, that's their own d@mn fault.

The Spurs addressed needs. They got that viable backup PG with Udirih. They made up for the mistake that is Rasho by making an in-season trade of the popular veteran Rose for the starting center Mohammed. (Knicks fans I talk to still are sore about that deal, even with the first rounders NY gets from us.)

To be honest, Brent Barry has not contributed statistically much more than Hedo Turkoglu, but you have to understand that Barry's leadership is huge. He has fostered relationships with all the Spurs on and off the court. He is the type of motivator and "team guy" that Danny Ferry was.

And then we have the young guns. How far Ginobili and Parker have come.

Manu is the second ebst player on the Spurs. Some, by their "MVP" chants, would argue that he is the most important Spur.

Parker is doing just fine these playoffs. He still has room to grow, too.

Both of them were huge in the first two games, but faltered after Detroit refused to let them get to the rack without getting killed.

Last night, I as pleased to see both Spurs guards tweak their games to still have an impact without the scoring drives. Manu was brilliant on the boards and I thought Parker's on-the-ball defense was about as good as you can ask for against Billups and then Hamilton... two premiere scorers.

And then there is Bruce Bowen. I've never liked Bruce Bowen's game, even though from time to time he has proven me wrong. Well, Bowen gets a permananent pass from me from here on in. The 34-year-old has been outstanding. On defense and on offense! The timely threes have kept the Spurs in games during rough stretches. He has gotten into Rip Hamilton's head and his man-to-man late against Billups was just brilliant )kudos to Pop, too.)

Big Shot Bobby. Here's a guy that looked like he was on his last legs after failing to beat the Spurs a few years ago and coming up sluggish in last year's playoffs. Well, Robert Horry ain't done yet. Not much more to say here except that Horry certainly earned his next ring with his third title team. I think I busted a blood vessel after he made that last one. Unbelievable.

Duncan owes his teammates a debt of gratitude. I counted about four different ways Duncan could be held responsible for the Spurs losing last night, and I hate to say, probably the series. But his teammates bailed him aout time and again. By the way, aside from the inexcusable free throw misses, the follied putback and the careless turnover on the block, Duncan still had a huge game. Look at that box score! But you still expect him to step on the Pistons' throat in those big spots, and Duncan did not. Quite frankly, the past 3 games have not been Duncan's best and the Spurs are a game away from a title. It will be interesting to see who gets the Finals MVP, as ridiculous as it is to suggest that the Spurs are still not Team Duncan.

Now I expect Duncan to slam the door shut in Game 6.

Our best player does not have to do it alone anymore.

And that's why the Spurs will be champions for the third time in 6 years, with no slowing down in sight.

Bravo!

DDS4
06-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Holy crap! Welcome back!

It's been ages.

Ishta
06-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Nice Post Glad To See You Back Among The Living!

travis2
06-20-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your wife/fiancee (not sure which it is at this point)...:(

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 10:54 AM
In the name of the Father...and the son...and the...

HOLY GHOST!

Good to have ya back, man!

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Congrats on the marriage and sorry to hear about your fiancee's health.

Long time, no hear, playas.

Manu is the second ebst player on the Spurs. Some, by their "MVP" chants, would argue that he is the most important Spur.

Manu != "mediocrity", eh?

Parker is doing just fine these playoffs. He still has room to grow, too.

Parker > Whitney ?

And then there is Bruce Bowen. I've never liked Bruce Bowen's game, even though from time to time he has proven me wrong. Well, Bowen gets a permananent pass from me from here on in. The 34-year-old has been outstanding. On defense and on offense! The timely threes have kept the Spurs in games during rough stretches. He has gotten into Rip Hamilton's head and his man-to-man late against Billups was just brilliant )kudos to Pop, too.)

You're progressing.

Now I expect Duncan to slam the door shut in Game 6.

Agreed.

Our best player does not have to do it alone anymore.

That's been the concept for some time now.

And that's why the Spurs will be champions for the third time in 6 years, with no slowing down in sight.

Bravo!

Yep. Good Times™ for Spurs fans.

:cooldevil

Ghost Writer
06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks, y'all.

What up, travis2. It's life, man. Ya gotta do the best with the cards you are dealt. Things will be fine.

So what did I miss here since the All-Star Break? :lol

I think the Spurs win in 6.

Duncan will not leave things to chance and I expect Manu and Parker to get to the rack again (and get some f'n calls).

I'd like to see Barry break out with 3-4 bombs.

Who gets Finals MVP? Does it come down to Game 6?

Remember Rasho?

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Barry had a hand in the game with his stint as a backup point last night (along with Manu).

Ghost Writer
06-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Marcus, patience is a virtue that I never used to have, but like to think I am acquiring.

It has certainly paid off with our team here.

Nice to see you are still representing here.

I am going to try to dust off the ol' game and bring it back to the old school.

Hey, three titles ain't bad since we started arguing online back in circa '96.

Not bad at all.

Good Times, indeed. :smokin

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Indeed. More talent on the way next season (ie Scola) and even more out there that might be here some day (Sanikidze, Javtokas & Karaulov) plus a pick this year.

Spurs should also be able to keep key role players this offseason (Horry, DBrown & perhaps GRobinson).

Ghost Writer
06-20-2005, 11:09 AM
The Spurs lost, what, 3 times at home this season. They will at least split with Detroit, who ave lost 10 striaght in SA. I am convinced it's over after last night. You don't win after losing like that if you are Detroit.

This is not a newsflash, but the Spurs two weaknesses are free throws and turnovers.

They do everything else exceptionally well, which most times makes up for those warts.

Any suggestions on how the team can shore up those weaknesses for next season other than practicing free throws and Tony and Beno's maturation?

Personnel change? That would be hard to justify after a title.

And as far as the turnovers go, the Spurs gamble on offense, whcih I think helps more than it hurts... most of the time. You're not going to try and harness Ginobili's creativity with passes, nah'mean?

I don't see Bowen and Duncan turning into Mark price at the stripe overnight; it would help if our starting guards shot in the 80s, though.

Do we just live with the weaknesses?

Question.

Ghost Writer
06-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Can Rasho be moved?

(this is probably a rhetorical question)

travis2
06-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks, y'all.

What up, travis2. It's life, man. Ya gotta do the best with the cards you are dealt. Things will be fine.

So what did I miss here since the All-Star Break? :lol

I think the Spurs win in 6.

Duncan will not leave things to chance and I expect Manu and Parker to get to the rack again (and get some f'n calls).

I'd like to see Barry break out with 3-4 bombs.

Who gets Finals MVP? Does it come down to Game 6?

Remember Rasho?

That is life, Ghost...you got my prayers, mang...

I had 6 as my choice...I just got the order wrong. :lol

Right now I'd say the MVP is up in the air. It's Tim's to lose, but I think he can lose it. Whoever of {Tim, Manu, Rob} who performs best Tuesday night gets it, I think. Unless they want to go for shared MVP...

GoSpurs21
06-20-2005, 11:16 AM
To be honest, Brent Barry has not contributed statistically much more than Hedo Turkoglu, but you have to understand that Barry's leadership is huge. He has fostered relationships with all the Spurs on and off the court. He is the type of motivator and "team guy" that Danny Ferry was. - GW

But is he worth it at the 4 times the cost?
And wasnt Parker the only Spurs to score 20 in game 3?

Hey GW, what do think will be detroits reaction when they see that Danny Crawford's crew will call game 6?

MannyIsGod
06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Dude, Spurs fucking HARMONY is on when Ghost and Marcus agree on the future of the team. Holy Shit!!!!

easjer
06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Is Brent Barry worth it? Hell. Yes.

He and Manu did better as pg subs than Beno has.

How do you deal with those weaknesses? You continue to work on them, and accept that no one/no team is perfect. Those things can be whittled down more. The core team is there for awhile longer - so let's train them up and let them become more in tune with each other. That will help eliminate some of the TO's.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Can Rasho be moved?

(this is probably a rhetorical question)

Sure, though I think one has to be happy with some frontcourt depth. Rasho is the best backup center in the NBA. More depth allows for more rest for TD, Nazr and Horry throughout the season as well as ensures that you at least have someone in case of injury which has not been a rare concern for the Spurs frontline over the last couple of season.

Ownership needs to step up and pay to keep the talent.

bigzak25
06-20-2005, 11:38 AM

:wow

great post. welcome back GW. :smokin

Prayers to your wifey to be.

SWC Bonfire
06-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Is Brent Barry worth it? Hell. Yes.

He and Manu did better as pg subs than Beno has.

How do you deal with those weaknesses? You continue to work on them, and accept that no one/no team is perfect. Those things can be whittled down more. The core team is there for awhile longer - so let's train them up and let them become more in tune with each other. That will help eliminate some of the TO's.

Ask Isiah if he'd pay that much money for somebody who would help him win a title...:lol

Ghost Writer
06-20-2005, 11:55 AM
I think the officiating has been equally good/bad.

The Spurs got calls at home and the Pistons got calls in Detroit.

Overall, you can't complain.

I think it's funny when Al Michaels is commentating a slo-mo replay in which both Wallaces hack the hell out of Manu and he's like, "An outstanding defensive play."

spurster
06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Dude, Spurs fucking HARMONY is on when Ghost and Marcus agree on the future of the team. Holy Shit!!!!
Clearly, their identities have been stolen.

SouthernFried
06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Barry helped bring up the ball against the press. I didn't see him have any turnovers. Udrih didn't play a minute cuz of Barry.

That right there is enuf. Turnovers lost the previous 2 games...

Ghost Writer
06-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, I remember Barry playing the 2, 1 and the 3 at times with Seattle.

He's got a good handle and a big frame.

Sometimes, when Beno gets bounced by a defender, he chokes up the ball.

T Park
06-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Good to see your back Ghost.

My prayers to you and your fiance.

Good to see life is good for you, hope everything keeps going well!!

Ghost Writer
06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks, T Park.

How's things in SA?

What jersey are you rockin' these days - Ginobili?

Will you be at the game tonight?

I am jealous.

Party Up.

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Hey Ghost!!!!

excellent post and great to see you back!...

Enjoy your conversations with TPark for another 12 hours...he bailed after game 4, trashed the Spurs, and predicted that Detroit would win the series...and vowed to leave the forum for a year if the Spurs won...

*tick...tick...tick...tick* :lol

Jimcs50
06-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Welcome back Ghost!!

Hope your significant other gets healthy soon, that really sucks for her. :depressed

Glad you are still a Spurs fan, I thought you killed yourself after Denver won game 1.

:)

MI21
06-21-2005, 10:04 AM
That's shit to hear about your fiancee Ghost, hope she gets better mate.

That post read completely "Un-Ghost" like, but was a good read. If only the Spurs had traded Parker for Payton :hat

Hope to see you post more around the offseason, the more top class posters such as yourself the better.

GrandeDavid
06-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Ghost, WTF is up!? Fire me off the latest news from Connecticut and I pray the wife gets better.

Solid D
06-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Welcome back, G-Dub! We all have our times we have to disengage and attend to priorities.

Well, Bowen gets a permananent pass from me from here on in.

= Just now gets it. :)

MI21
06-21-2005, 10:47 AM
:lol @ Solid.

"Worst Starting SF in NBA"

Ghost Writer
06-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Hey... y'all don't want to instigate me and bring the ol' Ghost back, do you?

:lol

Bowen is good as long as he's not guarding Kobe and as long as he's making his 3s.

The Spurs have ironically gotten a lot of the players I have coveted over the years, so I can't really complain. And things seem to be working now.

Rose is gone and Rasho has been benched all through one adroit midseason trade in which the Spurs actually got the better player in the deal. That is big for the Spurs.

I'd like to see Parker get the team more involved. His lack of assists in the series is somewhat troubling. I feel like he is a little skinny shooting guard with ballhandling skills. I want him to get that playmaking going like he was doing in the second half of this season.

Man, this is difficult nitpicking on the verge of another title!

:angel

2centsworth
06-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Please someone explain to me how it's possible to have over 1 million post. Not bagging just curious.

travis2
06-21-2005, 11:42 AM
It's a joke.

When Kori and LJ set this site up, the oldtimers were allowed to "carry over" their post count (if they could supply the number)...which is why I have over 10000 posts, for example (not all of them were on this particular site). Ghost and the various incarnations of Marcus had a running feud for years...and in recognition of that fact, Kori and LJ gave them both over 1,000,000 posts.

Ghost Writer
06-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Easy.

I have been posting in Ellis-related Forums since 1996, or approximately when you first realized that a basketball was not an overripe melon.

And now I'm back, baby.

Pleased to meet you.

travis2
06-21-2005, 11:43 AM
My response was nicer, Ghost...

2centsworth
06-21-2005, 11:50 AM
thanks for the info.

MI21
06-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Easy.

I have been posting in Ellis-related Forums since 1996, or approximately when you first realized that a basketball was not an overripe melon.

And now I'm back, baby.

Pleased to meet you.

Everyone had to know that the "friendly" Ghost wouldn't stay long.

:)

kskonn
06-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Welcome back ghost, you were one of the most contraversial posters when I first got here, it hasn't been the same since.

GattoBlaster
06-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Glad to see you back, Ghost...and an excellent post, as usual.

You and your fiance are in our prayers.

SPURS IN 6...IN A BLOWOUT!

timvp
06-21-2005, 05:48 PM
How the hell did I miss this thread? How did the wife not tell me Ghost Writer was back?

Welcome back, mang.

Kori Ellis
06-21-2005, 05:53 PM
I missed it too. :lol
Welcome back, GW. I emailed you like two weeks ago to your work address, but I didn't know if it was the right one. Prayers to your future Mrs. I'm sure you both will come thru it stronger than ever. When is the wedding date? ~July 20?

I'm glad you found time to come by the board. I was getting worried and ready to send the Nutmegger Police to find you.

Good Times ©

Phenomanul
06-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Welcome Back GW....

tlongII
06-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I like the old GW better.

smeagol
06-21-2005, 06:24 PM
The GW I remember was a cross-breed between Sequ and Walton.

The new GW appears to be a nice guy.

Go figure.

All kidding aside, hope your wife to be is well. My prayers go out to you both.

Stick around, I feel good things are coming the Spurs way.