PDA

View Full Version : Big Shot Bob bags another one by Bill Simmons

Manu20
06-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Big Shot Bob bags another one
By Bill Simmons

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050620

Somebody needs to go through Robert Horry's playoff games, pluck out all the big plays and shots, then run them in sequence for like 10 straight minutes with one of those cool sports video songs playing (like Aerosmith's "Dream On," or Led Zeppelin's "The Rain Song"). Who wouldn't enjoy that? I bet Horry has made at least 20 to 25 humongous shots over the years. Seriously.

Now …

You might be asking yourself, "Wait, that opening paragraph sounded a little familiar." Well, it should. I wrote it two summers ago.

Here's the point: Even if Horry had retired in 2003, we would have remembered Big Shot Bob for life. But he saved his defining moment for Sunday night, throwing a rattled Spurs team on his back in Detroit and making … I mean … it would almost demean what happened to write something like "some huge 3-pointers" or "a number of game-saving plays." Considering the situation (a budding Spurs collapse that seemed eerily reminiscent of the 2004 Lakers series), the circumstances (nobody else on his team was stepping up) and the opponent (one of the best defensive teams ever, playing at home), Horry's Game 5 ranks alongside MJ's Game 6 in 1998, Worthy's Game 7 in 1988, Frazier's Game 7 in 1970 and every other clutch Finals performance over the years. If Horry hadn't scored 21 of his team's last 35 points, the Spurs would have been "Dead Man Walking" heading back to San Antonio. Instead, they're probably going to win the title Tuesday night.

Big Shot Bob driving to the hoop is NOT what the Pistons want to see at
crunch time.

(And forget about saving the season; Horry probably altered the course of Tim Duncan's career. If the Spurs had lost that game, they would have eventually blown the series and everyone would have blamed Duncan all summer, mainly because of his epic stink bomb down the stretch that brought back memories of Karl Malone and Elvin Hayes. Now he's just another great player who had an atrocious game at the wrong time. That's the power of Big Shot Bob. And if you think a rejuvenated/relieved/thankful Duncan isn't throwing up a 35-15 Tuesday night, you're crazy.)

My favorite thing about Sunday night's game: When Horry drained that go-ahead three at the end of the third quarter, it was like sitting at a poker table with a good player who plays possum for an hour, then suddenly pushes a stack of chips into the middle. Uh-oh. He's making his move. You could just see it coming. The rest of the game played out like that – the Spurs always one mistake from blowing the game, Horry bailing them out again and again. By the time he jammed home that astounding lefty dunk in overtime, everyone knew the game would somehow end up in Horry's hands.

Well, everyone but Rasheed Wallace.

(That reminds me. We're always too quick to demolish athletes who make dumb plays or screw up at the worst possible times, from Byner's fumble to C-Webb's timeout to poor Bill Buckner … but at the same time, I feel like 'Sheed's brainfart will somehow get swept under the rug in the afterglow of such an electric game. Let the record show that Wallace's decision to leave a scorching-hot Horry to double-team Ginobili was the single dumbest play in the history of the NBA Finals. For sweeping significance and staggering inexplicability, it cannot be topped. I'm telling you.)

Horry's career has always been a nice litmus test for the question, "Do you understand the game of basketball or not?" Nearly all of his strengths aren't things that casual fans would notice. He's the kind of guy who would be useless on the "And 1" tour. For instance, he's a terrific help defender who constantly covers for his teammates. He's big enough to handle power forwards and quick enough to handle small forwards. He picks his spots and only asserts himself in big situations when his team truly needs him. He doesn't care about stats or touches – at all – which gives him something in common with maybe 2 percent of the league. And he gets better when it matters. What more would you want from a supporting player?

Horry just might be screaming his way into the Hall of Fame.
Lord knows I've written about him enough times. I once compared him to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, explaining that "Nobody ever talks about him, but he's always there when you need him, just like the Peebee and Jay." I compared him to Nate Dogg, John Cazale and every other famous person who flew under the radar screen but always ended up in good situations. When someone asked me in a recent mailbag whether I would have Horry's career (multiple rings and rich) or Barkley/Malone's careers (no rings and obscenely rich), I opted for Horry's career (and didn't even think twice). Imagine playing on five (soon to be six) championship teams, ending up with a cool nickname, making $50 million, earning the everlasting respect of everyone who ever played with or against you … and you didn't have to deal with any of the superstar BS? Have a great game, everyone notices you. Have a terrible game, nobody notices you. And that's your life. Doesn't that sound like the ultimate gig?

In a league loaded with guys who believe they're better than they actually are, Horry understands his own strengths and limitations better than anyone. That's what makes him so great. And that's why I like the poker analogy for him. He's the guy sitting at the table with a towering stack of chips, the guy who never chases a bad hand, the guy who makes your heart pound when he's staring you down. You never remember the hands he lost, but you always remember the ones he won. And when he finally cashes out and gets up from the table, you hope you never have to see him again.

Does that make him a Hall of Famer some day? Before this spring, I would have said no … and then Steve Nash won the MVP. Now I'm prepared for anything. But you know where I stand. Instead of making Horry's case in full, I'm telling you a story that hasn't even happened yet. Maybe it will be this summer, maybe next summer, maybe 15 years from now. But when ESPN Classic shows Game 5 of the 2005 Finals some day and I'm calling my buddy House just to tell him, "Turn on Classic, they're showing the Robert Horry Game," I can pretty much guarantee his response:

"Which one?"

Ishta
06-20-2005, 11:16 AM
NICE:spin

whottt
06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
These are all good articles...

But these morons need to stop glossing it like Duncan is a piece of crap.

Duncan is the guy that has two rings without Horry...and with DRob.

Shaq, Kobe and Hakeem are the guys who have no titles without Horry...even when they replaced him with Barkley and Malone...and threw in guys like Pippen and Payton on those rosters to boot.

If they want to talk about weak superstars who had to be bailed out in title runs by a superclutch...those guys all deserve that label more than Duncan does.

And Horry bailed out Shaq and Kobe in that 2001 finals game VS the Sixers.

It's stupid anyway...Winning a title takes contributions from a lot of players...not just one.

TMSKILZ
06-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Whott I agree with you, they make TD out to be like he only score 3 pts & 0 Rebs. He did choke down the stretch, but he just left the door open for someone else (Horry) to shine.

26 & 19 is nothing to sneeze @ especially against Det!!!!

whottt
06-20-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd only label Duncan a choker if it was out of the ordinary for him to miss FT's like that...it's not.

That SOB can be going off for 50 points and 40 rebounds and he will still do that at the FT line...other times he can be missing every shot he takes from the field and set a playoff record for FT's without a miss in a game(I think he did that this year).

It's just Duncan...he lost a game at the line during our title run in 03....against Phoenix.

He's a just a bad FT shooter.

On top of that...the guy is still playing on two sprained ankles...he ought to be getting propped for one of the grittiest performances in playoff history.

boutons
06-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Bad news, blood, and tears always sell, so these mofo's won't pass up any chance to mention the bad news about Tim, while minimizing his otherwise huge, bounce-back, figure-it-out, step-up, leadership game against the best front line in and #2 defense the NBA.

Life ain't fair. But Tim gets his June paycheck all the same, a monthly paycheck these "writers" can only dream of as their yearly paycheck.

SpursChampsIII
06-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Spurs don't win without Tim's or Rob's performance last night. If 26 points is not enough, how about 19 rebounds...that's huge!

Good post, Manu!

whottt
06-20-2005, 12:01 PM
You could also say they don't win without Bowen finally and mercifully putting the clamps on Billups' ass...

You could say they don't win if Tony wasn't willing to take about 6 elbows to the face by Hamilton on the last shot...without giving ground or flopping.

And BTW...Tony loses the soft label for all time after his D on that last shot...and no more French jokes either...that kid took some hard fouls in his face by a guy that's got some sharp long elbows...and he took it.Tony deserves huge props for his D on that play.

You could say we don't win if Pop doesn't go with a no PG backcourt when Tony was resting...they pretty much killed Detroit's press.

Lots of reasons...

mookie2001
06-20-2005, 12:10 PM
duncan and horry

the rest of the team should be traded for some 7-2 200 lb foreign 17 year olds who cant rebound or play d

beirmeistr
06-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Thank you, Robert Horry.
Thank you for snatching a victory out of the jaws of defeat. Thank you for bailing out a Spurs team that played with heart and determination, but who were facing a mighty enemy. All Spurs fans are gratedul to you and the entire Spurs team.