PDA

View Full Version : Did the Spurs peak early?

ElNono
03-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Last season the Spurs were rolling early, then really didn't close the season well at all. Just like a team that peaked early. Is this starting to look the same? As DPG said, this team hasn't looked the same after the ASB...

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2012, 11:36 PM
no

we are just aonther regular season team, first round exit...get use to it

Brazil
03-09-2012, 11:36 PM
not worried yet but concerned

jjktkk
03-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Kinda hard to peak or manage any continuity with all of the injuries this season.

Robz4000
03-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Nah, TP plays the Spurs win. There are massive issues with the D but I think when all is said and done the Spurs will be ok. Now, if they keep going back-and-forth like this when fully healthy I'll be really worried.

Sean Cagney
03-09-2012, 11:52 PM
kinda hard to peak or manage any continuity with all of the injuries this season.

bingo!!!!!!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Last season the Spurs were rolling early, then really didn't close the season well at all. Just like a team that peaked early. Is this starting to look the same? As DPG said, this team hasn't looked the same after the ASB...

This is a decent question. Last year was very disappointing because of the early promise and peak, then total discombobulation for the last 6 weeks of the season.

I think we need another 10 games and we'll know whether it's the same this year.

therealtruth
03-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Nah, TP plays the Spurs win. There are massive issues with the D but I think when all is said and done the Spurs will be ok. Now, if they keep going back-and-forth like this when fully healthy I'll be really worried.

How does TP make up for the bad defense?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-10-2012, 12:22 AM
To be honest, unless the D improves I wouldn't even call it a surprise if the Spurs lose in the first round like I would last year.

They're a fun team, I love some of the newbies we've gotten, but the defense is just as bad as last season.

Also, Danny Green needs to be removed from the playoff rotation if Pop even considers putting him on there. There is still way too much dead weight on the team (Bonner, Jefferson).

Spursfan092120
03-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Good fucking God...Clips have a game where two men score 30...(won't happen again), Our best player isn't playing, and we still almost won that game. Manu finally seems to be back. You get him back on the court with Tony, and you have a different team. Calm the fuck down.

Hoops Czar
03-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Good fucking God...Clips have a game where two men score 30...(won't happen again), Our best player isn't playing, and we still almost won that game. Manu finally seems to be back. You get him back on the court with Tony, and you have a different team. Calm the fuck down.

Here's a dillusional f*ck of a post. The Spurs scored 108 points and still lost. I don't know, maybe your watching the game blindfolded with ear plugs. Mo Williams went off because nobody got a effing hand in his face. They were allowed to shoot wide open jumpers all night and yet somehow TP would have changed all that if he were playing.

Oh and to your comment, two men scored 30 ( won't happen again), THE SHIT IT WON'T!!!!

Hooks
03-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Spurs haven't even been anywhere close to peaking.

Mo Williams will never have a playoff game like that EVER, and I doubt he has another game like that in his whole career. He was on fire, CP3 was on fire as well, and they were shooting great from 3. Mo has only made more than 4 3 pointers just once this season against the GSW.

It took Cp3 to play like a superstar, Mo Williams playing like a superstar shooting lights out from 3, and an injured Tony Parker for them to just barely beat the Spurs.

Even last time it took Foye to have one of the best games of his entire career to just keep up with the Spurs, the Spurs managed to win in OT though.

If TP plays this game the Spurs win, Tp is actually a pretty darn good defender, he'd have done a great job of staying in front of and contesting Cp3's shots. He'd also force CP3 to expend A LOT more energy on defense affecting his offense game. Without TP the Spurs lost their primary play maker on offense (which affects everybody), their only PG on the team, and probably 20 points.

This Spurs team seems like it's going to hit a hot streak in the playoffs IMO, by then Manu will return to his old form for sure, and hopefully everybody is healthy. Plus guys like Green, Kawhi, and Splitter will start getting used to playing with Manu.

Hoops Czar
03-10-2012, 01:04 AM
3-3 since the big sit. Duncan is really huffin and puffin out there. Its probably time to sit him again.

TDMVPDPOY
03-10-2012, 01:15 AM
This Spurs team seems like it's going to hit a hot streak in the playoffs IMO, by then Manu will return to his old form for sure, and hopefully everybody is healthy. Plus guys like Green, Kawhi, and Splitter will start getting used to playing with Manu.

green, kl, neal needs tobe ahead of rj in whatever rotation and minutes...

rj provides basically nothing when his on the court, dude shoots like shit, plays borderline defense, his even useless then plyon in practice...yet this clown is always gettin minutes and closing out games...

therealtruth
03-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Here's a dillusional f*ck of a post. The Spurs scored 108 points and still lost. I don't know, maybe your watching the game blindfolded with ear plugs. Mo Williams went off because nobody got a effing hand in his face. They were allowed to shoot wide open jumpers all night and yet somehow TP would have changed all that if he were playing.

Oh and to your comment, two men scored 30 ( won't happen again), THE SHIT IT WON'T!!!!

I think there might be a problem with the defense. Guys keep going for 30+ that you don't expect. It's been a pretty consistent fluke.

timtonymanu
03-10-2012, 01:19 AM
I still want to see how we look with a full squad that has developed enough chemistry and understood roles before we decide if this is the best we've seen.

Yeah, it's similar to last year, but last year we stayed pretty healthy so the writing on the wall was more clear about how good we really were.

It is discouraging to see how the D continues to regress. With the way we're playing now, we do look like a first round exit, but let's also remember how little we've been fully healthy this year.

Spursfan092120
03-10-2012, 01:27 AM

Mo Williams was left open because Chris Paul was going off, and was being double teamed. When you have CP3 and Blake Griffin on a team, other guys are going to get wide open shots. And Mo was hitting shots when guys DID get hands in his face. He was just on...period. Yeah, our defense sucked tonight, but it doesn't always suck..we have our nights. Oh, and if you're going to cuss at me, LEARN TO FUCKING SPELL.

Bill_Brasky
03-10-2012, 01:39 AM
Nah....we played well during the RRT, but now we're getting people back and trying to improve in weaker areas. This has actually been something I've worried about considering what happened last year, but this team definitely hasn't peaked yet.

Hoping they get it together as the month goes on and start playing really well going into April.

Hoops Czar
03-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Mo Williams was left open because Chris Paul was going off, and was being double teamed. When you have CP3 and Blake Griffin on a team, other guys are going to get wide open shots. And Mo was hitting shots when guys DID get hands in his face. He was just on...period. Yeah, our defense sucked tonight, but it doesn't always suck..we have our nights. Oh, and if you're going to cuss at me, LEARN TO FUCKING SPELL.

Well, in case this is news to you, good teams have playmakers and in the playoffs, and I admit, this might come as a bit of a surprise to you, the Spurs will be facing a whole bunch of teams tha can light it up. So that excuse comes up a bit flat with me. And as far as the defense is concerned, its been this way for a while. The Spurs just weren't playing teams that could exploit it. The Spurs had been pretty decent defensively at home right up until the Chicago game but alas.

By the way, this forum frowns upon the F word so SPELLING it out isn't going to earn you extra brownie points with me.

Juggity
03-10-2012, 02:27 AM
3-3 since the big sit.

Correlation ≠ causation

SA210
03-10-2012, 02:33 AM
No, Pop just screwed up their momentum back on that throw away game.

jjktkk
03-10-2012, 02:42 AM
No, Pop just screwed up their momentum back on that throw away game.

Oh yea, thats it.

crc21209
03-10-2012, 03:02 AM

Exactly, they scored 108 WITHOUT their best player, which is pretty damn good. Not to mention that TP has been pretty solid this year on the defensive end and definitely would have helped tonight as well....

therealtruth
03-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Exactly, they scored 108 WITHOUT their best player, which is pretty damn good. Not to mention that TP has been pretty solid this year on the defensive end and definitely would have helped tonight as well....

108 isn't enough to win a home game?

will_spurs
03-10-2012, 03:24 AM

No, it's just what happens when the best player on the team sits.

Hoops Czar
03-10-2012, 03:44 AM
108 isn't enough to win a home game?

108 points should be more than enough to win a home game. And people are overrating Parkers defense. He's always been an average defender, not the team's stopper. The Spurs offense shouldn't be asked to score 121 points just to beat a quality team at home. And why is TP all of a sudden the best player on the team? I guess its a matter of opinion, because many believe it to be Ginobili but I guess that theory wouldn't explain the loss. This forum flip flops so much, you can barely keep track anymore.

DesignatedT
03-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Mo Williams has it going tonight + Bonner doesn't + Tony out = Loss.

Not surprising considering our best player didn't play.

TJastal
03-10-2012, 07:08 AM
last season the spurs were rolling early, then really didn't close the season well at all. Just like a team that peaked early. Is this starting to look the same? As tjastal said, this team hasn't looked the same after the blazer "forfeit" game..

fify

swaggerjackson
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Still too early to tell. We are in the process of integrating Manu and Ford back in. Plus there have been some nitpicky injuries to Splitter and Kawhi. They are still feeling each other out. That being said, and I am not pushing the panic button but we really need to address our frontcourt situation. Everyone playing positions 3,2, and 1 has trade value except Jefferson and Anderson. It is time to bite the bullet and move someone for a four or a five. Or atleast pickup a released big man after the deadline. I even like the Oberto idea someone threw out early.

JRHernandez88
03-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Not even close bro team hasnt even played together a full game it seems like.

Mal
03-10-2012, 12:06 PM
They need to adapt to new rotation and tactic , which involve Manu.

DesignatedT
03-10-2012, 01:14 PM
If we peaked "early" what does that have to say about Manu Ginobili who had nothing to do with it..