PDA

View Full Version : Why any Republican will beat Obama

spursncowboys
03-10-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/it-s-obamacare-stupid_633414.html

spursncowboys
The authors looked at cap and trade, the economic “stimulus,” and Obamacare, and concluded that the latter had by far the most adverse effect on Democrats’ fortunes—voters were “approximately 5 points less likely to vote for an incumbent who supported health reform than one who opposed it.”

spursncowboys
voters not only oppose Obamacare as policy but view it as a symbol of a commitment to big-government liberalism.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Do you post this to reassure yourself?

spursncowboys
03-10-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

ChumpDumper
03-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Did you post that to reassure yourself?

Cry Havoc
03-10-2012, 07:33 PM
:lmao

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Isn't Obama always getting his ass kicked in Rasmussen polls? And in everyone else's he ahead?

fraga
03-10-2012, 08:16 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/259/093/8af.jpg

TheProfessor
03-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Isn't Obama always getting his ass kicked in Rasmussen polls? And in everyone else's he ahead?
Pretty much: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

FuzzyLumpkins
03-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Rassmussen is known for doing conservative commentary in addition to their polling.

I prefer Pew and Gallup myself.

Jacob1983
03-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Obama will win in November. He is going to serve Bush's 4th term.

Proxy
03-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Obama will win in November. He is going to serve Bush's 4th term.

:rolleyes

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
It is a great point that Romney getting the nomination would neutralize the Obamacare debate and in that case not only give Obama a pass but also make sure that if the SCOTUS doesn't find it unconstitutional, then it will probably be something we have to learn to live with. That is until it bankrupts us.

RandomGuy
03-11-2012, 04:48 PM
It is a great point that Romney getting the nomination would neutralize the Obamacare debate and in that case not only give Obama a pass but also make sure that if the SCOTUS doesn't find it unconstitutional, then it will probably be something we have to learn to live with. That is until it bankrupts us.

You do know the "Obamacare" bill actually lowered the health care costs to the US government, right?

You do know who pays for the uninsured when they can't pay their medical bills?

(hint, it rhymes with "blue do")

Care to guess what the leading cause of personal bankruptcy is?

(hint, it rhymes with "shmedical hills")

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
You do know the "Obamacare" bill actually lowered the health care costs to the US government, right?

You do know who pays for the uninsured when they can't pay their medical bills?

(hint, it rhymes with "blue do")

Care to guess what the leading cause of personal bankruptcy is?

(hint, it rhymes with "shmedical hills")

:lol I love your smuggness in your inaccuracy. In the future I wouldn't go by Obama's number crunchers.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 05:09 PM
would love a link of this mythical 2 trillion in ten years, from only six of the ten actually having implemented obamacare.
None of this factors in the military who will move to this to save money from tricare.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 05:14 PM
During his presentation to Wisconsin officials in August 2011, Gruber revealed that while about 57 percent of those who get their insurance through the individual market will benefit in one way or another from the law’s subsides, an even larger majority of the individual market will end up paying drastically more overall.

“After the application of tax subsidies, 59 percent of the individual market will experience an average premium increase of 31 percent,” Gruber reported.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/11/obamacare-architect-expect-steep-increase-in-health-care-premiums/#ixzz1oqhU1uWy -Johhnathon Gruber, Co creator of Romneycare and Obamacare.

ElNono
03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Romney has a shot... he can easily move closer to the center. I don't think any of the others do. JMO.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 05:56 PM
It's about getting people in the swing districts to come out. Romney can't do that. It might be mccain all over again.

ElNono
03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
It's about getting people in the swing districts to come out. Romney can't do that. It might be mccain all over again.

Nah... it's about capturing the independent vote... Romney is a guy that can talk more than just gay marriage, abortion, contraceptives, iran, etc.

boutons_deux
03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I repeat:

A few weeks before the 2008 election, Rasmussen had McLiar and pitbull bitch winning in a landslide.

It is apparent that the non-stop lies the Repugs have been repeating about ACA have swayed a lot of ignorant, lazy, facts-dont-matter Human-Americans.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Yall said the same thing about mccain

ElNono
03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Yall said the same thing about mccain

McCain was DOA because he was following Jr... Palin actually did get some people excited, but it faded, and the independent vote never materialized. That's why Barry won by an ample margin. Neither team can win with just their base votes... the center normally decides the election...

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 06:12 PM
karl rove's idea of exciting the core I think works better now a days than trying to move towards the middle. With places like the T in Pennsylvania and Southern Ohio there is going to be a better turn out for conservatives than getting the small amount of real independents.

ElNono
03-11-2012, 06:24 PM
karl rove's idea of exciting the core I think works better now a days than trying to move towards the middle. With places like the T in Pennsylvania and Southern Ohio there is going to be a better turn out for conservatives than getting the small amount of real independents.

The "base" is basically a little less of what voted for McCain (I'm sure some independents cast a vote for him too, despite he was carrying dubya's cross). Just not nearly enough to get a guy elected.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 06:36 PM
No the base didn't show up for mccain.

ElNono
03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
No the base didn't show up for mccain.

sure it did. he doesn't win 22 states otherwise. just not enough. Dems have the same problem. that's why all candidates move to the center one way or another after the primaries. you can't win without that vote.

EVAY
03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
McCain was DOA because he was following Jr... Palin actually did get some people excited, but it faded, and the independent vote never materialized. That's why Barry won by an ample margin. Neither team can win with just their base votes... the center normally decides the election...

This is totally accurate, and I wonder why it seems to be such a mystery to so many people.

I agree that the only person who has a realistic chance against Obama is Romney, for all the reasons you stated. The others have just gone too far right to come back. Plus, I don't think they really want to come back...they are some real believers, I think.

I think it is Romney vs. Obama.

And I don't know who will win, but I think it is gonna get really dirty...dirtier than ever...and it is the independents who will decide the election.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
You have to win in states like Ohio or Penn.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/oh.htm
The graph showed that pretty much the same amount of Ohioans voted for Kerry and Obama but there was a -300000 votes from bush in 04 to mccain in 08. These voters are there but are not the kind of voters who want to pick between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. I'm not saying Romney is that but he might be.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Most people who say Romney is the only candidate to compete with Obama did and probably will vote for *obama again.

ElNono
03-11-2012, 07:24 PM
You have to win in states like Ohio or Penn.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/oh.htm
The graph showed that pretty much the same amount of Ohioans voted for Kerry and Obama but there was a -300000 votes from bush in 04 to mccain in 08. These voters are there but are not the kind of voters who want to pick between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. I'm not saying Romney is that but he might be.

That's part of the independents. The base shows up and votes. That's why they're called the base.

boutons_deux
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
independents aren't swing voters, that's a myth

An independent (party-unregistered} who votes Dem/Repug almost always votes the same party.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
So ElNono, are you saying that the independents showed up for Bush but not for McCain?

ElNono
03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
So ElNono, are you saying that the independents showed up for Bush but not for McCain?

Sure. Frankly, it isn't McCain fault. The TARP happened a month earlier and the economy was already in the shitter. Congress was as apathetic as usual.

tbh, whoever wins the nomination needs to start talking about jobs, getting the economy on track, what they propose to fix healthcare if they plan to do away with Obamacare, etc. They're going to be talking to all America, not just their base.

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Great point Elnono.

Jacob1983
03-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Bush won because he had more money, more connections, better organization, had Darth Vader as his VP, and was lucky to not have all the votes counted in Florida.
McCain lost because Obama was hip and cool.

Goran Dragic
03-11-2012, 11:45 PM
And because he picked Sarah Palin as his VP

Jacob1983
03-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Yep, that too. LOL

RandomGuy
03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
This is totally accurate, and I wonder why it seems to be such a mystery to so many people.

I agree that the only person who has a realistic chance against Obama is Romney, for all the reasons you stated. The others have just gone too far right to come back. Plus, I don't think they really want to come back...they are some real believers, I think.

I think it is Romney vs. Obama.

And I don't know who will win, but I think it is gonna get really dirty...dirtier than ever...and it is the independents who will decide the election.

The long GOP primary battle will give the Obama campaign more than enough fodder to torpedo the eventual nominee as being too far to the right.

The stupid shit being said has further pissed off and galvanized the liberals I know, including myself. We are rather flabberghasted by the things being said during this primary campaign to pander to the extreme right.

It will get dirty.

In the end, I think the independents will go for Obama again. My gut says he will win by a comfortable margin, but less than what he got for his first term.

RandomGuy
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Bush won because he had more money, more connections, better organization, had Darth Vader as his VP, and was lucky to not have all the votes counted in Florida.

McCain lost because he was following GW Bush. That would have been enough to sink him, but then he went and showed the poor judgment to pick Palin as his running mate, AND Obama was black.

Obama's historic candidacy brought out a LOT of new voters, as you pointed out, but it was not the deciding factor ultimately. All it did was further pad his win.

RandomGuy
03-12-2012, 08:17 AM

"small amount"

Imagine a three person panel chosen to decide things.

A has 49 votes.
B has 49 votes.
C has 2 votes.

C, in this case, has a "small amount" of votes.

Given that A and B almost always vote opposite each other, who makes the decisions in this microcosm?

As a Democrat, I hope your thinking, i.e. "we will win if we just go far enough to the right to make our base happy and excited", represents that of Republicans in general.

I hope you collectively keep thinking that for a long time to come.

Wild Cobra
03-12-2012, 01:25 PM
I repeat:

A few weeks before the 2008 election, Rasmussen had McLiar and pitbull bitch winning in a landslide.

It is apparent that the non-stop lies the Repugs have been repeating about ACA have swayed a lot of ignorant, lazy, facts-dont-matter Human-Americans.
Do you recall the unethical tactics used for the October Surprises by liberals?

I don't, but they were there.

clambake
03-12-2012, 01:34 PM

I don't, but they were there.

wut?

Winehole23
03-12-2012, 01:40 PM
"what I can't recall but remain nonetheless certain of, should receive your confidence too."

variant of "everyone knows what I mean". perh. related to "no red-blooded American disagrees"

101A
03-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Bush won reelection, despite being an unpopular president, because his opponent was John Kerry.

Obama will win, despite being an unpopular president, because his opponent will be Mitt Romney.

Not rocket science. Weak (esp from Massachusetts) candidates (See Dukakis, Michael) = Election losses

RandomGuy
03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Bush won reelection, despite being an unpopular president, because his opponent was John Kerry.

Obama will win, despite being an unpopular president, because his opponent will be Mitt Romney.

Not rocket science. Weak (esp from Massachusetts) candidates (See Dukakis, Michael) = Election losses

Hey man! long time, no read.

How are things in the frozen north?

101A
03-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Hey man! long time, no read.

How are things in the frozen north?

65 Degrees today; not so frozen this year; in fact NO snow days, or even delays. Again, BIG TIME fan of global warming.

Also, I've been around; just somewhat inconsistent.

JoeChalupa
03-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Obama has been the underdog from the beginning and I have consistently stated that it will be very tough for him to win re-election. It won't be easy that is for sure.

DarrinS
03-12-2012, 10:46 PM

Spot on

DarrinS
03-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Obama has been the underdog from the beginning and I have consistently stated that it will be very tough for him to win re-election. It won't be easy that is for sure.

He SHOULD be an underdog. Unfortunately, the GOP has no better alternatives.

ChumpDumper
03-12-2012, 10:47 PM

I don't, but they were there.:lmao

DMC
03-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Obama will not lose this election. The GOP is just spinning wheels.

Nbadan
03-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Not looking like the GOP will take the Senate either at this point...

ElNono
03-13-2012, 01:24 AM

I'll agree only partially with this... I thought Bush won because he ran the "don't change commanders mid-stream" and "let me finish this" themes with regards to the wars. Add Kerry being labeled a flip-flopper during a time where allegedly there was no room for indecision, and you have a fairly good reason for people to vote the way they did.

I also think Romney is much more easy to digest to the center and even some disenchanted left voters. If (and this is not small if) he can get the base on the right all together behind him, I can see him challenging Barry.

Nbadan
03-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing the enthusiasm from wing-nut voters that I am seeing from Obama supporters...the vast majority of Democrats support Obama...without motivating a large segment of its base and also attracting independent voters the GOP has no chance...if they continue this war on women they may lose seats in both houses...

RandomGuy
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Poll: Obama leads all GOP candidates in head-to-head contests

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/poll-obama-leads-gop-candidates-head-head-contests-151032764.html

Obama's approval rating rises to 50 percent

Romney's national lead widening among Republican primary voters

Americans think Obama will win a second term

A majority of Americans have an unfavorable view of the Republican candidates after a long primary

Voters don't know that Santorum is Catholic

Republicans struggling with women and minorities

Nation split over federal health care overhaul

RandomGuy
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/it-s-obamacare-stupid_633414.html

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=1665

Stock market tops 13,000.

If this keeps going, it will become harder and harder to make the "look how bad the economy is" argument.

TeyshaBlue
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=1665

If this keeps going, it will become harder and harder to make the "look how bad the economy is" argument.

I don't think the stock market has ever been more disconnected to the economic health of the average American than it is today.

Stock market metrics are almost irrelevant.

TeyshaBlue
03-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Srsly. Who gives a fuck if OmniWidgets is up 200pts when they are reporting overseas profits and using a foreign labor force?

RandomGuy
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Srsly. Who gives a fuck if OmniWidgets is up 200pts when they are reporting overseas profits and using a foreign labor force?

I do think the market is a fair indicator about where the economy will be in a few months. A rule of thumb or rough guide if you will.

I do not think it is the end-all, be-all of indicators about the economy.

Omniwidgets though, will not be a DJIA component, if it is mostly overseas.

All that said, I just liked the picture. It's funny. "Crikey"... (chuckles)

RandomGuy
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM

Tell that to the people on the cusp of retirement who have had to delay their plans by several years becuase of the financial crisis.

I personally know of three, and from what I read in the personal finance sections, they are not alone in that situation.

Once these people withdraw from the labor force, that will shrink the labor pool, and provide some force towards pushing wages a bit higher.

"almost irrelevant" I don't buy.

"a component, but not the end-all, be all" Seems better. :toast

TeyshaBlue
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I do think the market is a fair indicator about where the economy will be in a few months. A rule of thumb or rough guide if you will.

I do not think it is the end-all, be-all of indicators about the economy.

Omniwidgets though, will not be a DJIA component, if it is mostly overseas.

All that said, I just liked the picture. It's funny. "Crikey"... (chuckles)

I remember Coca Cola posting a surge in stock prices a few years ago. It was largely on the back of foreign sales by foreign subsidaries. It does make it back to the bottom line...and it didn't add one fucking job.

I think the market is not as fair an indicator as it once was simply due to our shift from manufacturing to service and soft industries.

TeyshaBlue
03-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Tell that to the people on the cusp of retirement who have had to delay their plans by several years becuase of the financial crisis.

I personally know of three, and from what I read in the personal finance sections, they are not alone in that situation.

Once these people withdraw from the labor force, that will shrink the labor pool, and provide some force towards pushing wages a bit higher.

"almost irrelevant" I don't buy.

"a component, but not the end-all, be all" Seems better. :toast

It certainly seems all but irrelevant with our unemployment as a backdrop. I could be overstating tho. I'm so very subtle.:lol

TeyshaBlue
03-15-2012, 03:12 PM
:toastThat was a great pic, tho.

RandomGuy
03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I remember Coca Cola posting a surge in stock prices a few years ago. It was largely on the back of foreign sales by foreign subsidaries. It does make it back to the bottom line...and it didn't add one fucking job.

I think the market is not as fair an indicator as it once was simply due to our shift from manufacturing to service and soft industries.

It does add jobs in the U.S. actually, generally at the corporate headquarters level.

Further, the earnings are generally passed on to the pension funds and retirees that own Coke stock for the dividends.

RandomGuy
03-15-2012, 03:18 PM
It certainly seems all but irrelevant with our unemployment as a backdrop. I could be overstating tho. I'm so very subtle.:lol

Again, a higher stock market allows for baby boomers to retire.

Out with the old, in with the new. No offense CC. :)

It could very well lower the unemployment rate for that reason.

Think about the number of people where you work that are due to retire within 5 years.

I dunno, it would be interesting to quantify.

Wild Cobra
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM

I think few would agree with you, unless it rebounds to the point of following the long term trend. Without referring to past performance, I will guess that the market would have to top 20,000 to be on trend.

Wild Cobra
03-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't think the stock market has ever been more disconnected to the economic health of the average American than it is today.

Yes, I agree here.

Winehole23
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
(http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5700431#post5700431)

Yes, I agree here.

I think few would agree with you, unless it rebounds to the point of following the long term trend. Without referring to past performance, I will guess that the market would have to top 20,000 to be on trend.

The more bailouts, taxes, etc the democrats propose and Obama signs into law, the worse things will get. My 6,000 prediction may be a bit high!http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3159585&postcount=2

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4248385

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3570317

Wild Cobra
03-16-2012, 02:34 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3159585&postcount=2

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4248385

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3570317
Your point?

Would you agree that economics has an effect on the stock market, but that doesn't necessarily mean the stock market has an effect on economics?

FuzzyLumpkins
03-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Your point?

Would you agree that economics has an effect on the stock market, but that doesn't necessarily mean the stock market has an effect on economics?

You suck at economics but hes pointing out how you argue both ways depending on where your advocate stands.

What do sophist mean?

MannyIsGod
03-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Bookmarking this.

CosmicCowboy
03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Never underestimate the stupidity of the average american voter.

CosmicCowboy
03-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't care if the stock market is at 15,000, if gas is still over $4 a gallon in November the average voter is going to be seriously pissed off.

CosmicCowboy
03-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Not that the market will be at 15,000. My gut feeling is that we are due for a 10-20% correction soon.

Wild Cobra
03-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Not that the market will be at 15,000. My gut feeling is that we are due for a 10-20% correction soon.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit since there is little reason for the market to be as high as it is.

MannyIsGod
03-16-2012, 06:40 PM
:lol

Financials expert too.

spursncowboys
03-16-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't care if the stock market is at 15,000, if gas is still over $4 a gallon in November the average voter is going to be seriously pissed off.

Not to mention food has gone up in price.