PDA

View Full Version : Game Change

spursncowboys
03-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Is anyone excited about this movie or is this old news?
Do you think this will portray Palin honestly?

ChumpDumper
03-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I think you'll find an article that whines about it.

baseline bum
03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
The movie can't possibly make her look any dumber than she made herself look on ABC, CBS, and Fox.

Oh, Gee!!
03-10-2012, 08:28 PM
It's a made-for-cable movie. I don't think anyone but HBO execs are excited about the premiere. It's not Game of Thrones after all.

TheProfessor
03-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Do you think this will portray Palin honestly?
Let's see what people closest to the campaign (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/03/sarah-palin-responds-to-game-change/) think:

Other aides who worked on the campaign – campaign manager Steven Schmidt and top aide Nicolle Wallace – have said the film is a generally accurate portrayal of Sen. John McCain’s selection of Palin, whom they allege was emotionally and intellectually not up for the job.

Jacob1983
03-11-2012, 04:34 AM
The movie is friendly to McCain but harsh to Palin. It is biased but probably true. Schmidt shouldn't have picked Palin as the VP pick. I think they thought it was a good idea in their heads but when it became a reality, they were like "I've made a huge mistake" and "wtf". After they realized it was a mistake, it was too late to drop Palin so they were stuck with her. McCain would have done better against Barry if he had picked Liebermann or someone else.
A lot of people love to hate on Palin and call her an idiot, Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_, or dumbass but she had a lot of drama to deal with during the campaign. Her son was in Iraq, she had just recently had a baby, and one of her daughters got knocked up. That's a lot of drama to deal with especially when you are a VP nominee.

Trainwreck2100
03-11-2012, 11:42 AM
the movie is friendly to mccain but harsh to palin. It is biased but probably true. Schmidt shouldn't have picked palin as the vp pick. I think they thought it was a good idea in their heads but when it became a reality, they were like "i've made a huge mistake" and "wtf". After they realized it was a mistake, it was too late to drop palin so they were stuck with her. Mccain would have done better against barry if he had picked liebermann or someone else.
A lot of people love to hate on palin and call her an idiot, luck_the_fakers_luck_the_fakers_luck_the_fakers_lu ck_the_fakers_, or dumbass but she had a lot of drama to deal with during the campaign. Her son was in iraq, she had just recently had a baby, and one of her daughters got knocked up. That's a lot of drama to deal with especially when you are a a super dumbass.

fify

spursncowboys
03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Did anyone watch it?

RandomGuy
03-11-2012, 04:54 PM
I think you'll find an article that whines about it.

+1

Anybody that thinks Sarah Palin was ready to be VP or president for that matter, deserves to have her running your retirement funds.

RandomGuy
03-11-2012, 04:56 PM
The movie is friendly to McCain but harsh to Palin. It is biased but probably true. Schmidt shouldn't have picked Palin as the VP pick. I think they thought it was a good idea in their heads but when it became a reality, they were like "I've made a huge mistake" and "wtf". After they realized it was a mistake, it was too late to drop Palin so they were stuck with her. McCain would have done better against Barry if he had picked Liebermann or someone else.
A lot of people love to hate on Palin and call her an idiot, Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_, or dumbass but she had a lot of drama to deal with during the campaign. Her son was in Iraq, she had just recently had a baby, and one of her daughters got knocked up. That's a lot of drama to deal with especially when you are a VP nominee.

That was what I heard. I wouldn't mind seeing it, as it is supposed to be a fairly accurate backstage look.

ElNono
03-11-2012, 05:50 PM
The movie can't possibly make her look any dumber than she made herself look on ABC, CBS, and Fox.

EVAY
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I watched it. It was mostly about the interaction between Schmidt, Nicole Wallace, and Palin. It showed Palin as really committed to her family, had some really nice input from a doctor that said "she has a son in Iraq, a daughter who is pregnant out of wedlock, she just had a down's syndrome child a few months before this...of course she seems unstable sometimes"...I thought there were some really sympathetic moments.

But it didn't hide her instability and it didn't hide her movement toward grabbing the limelight from McCain and it didn't hide her rampant stupidity.

It showed McCain and Palin as hardly ever interacting with one another. I thought that was interesting.

EVAY
03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't say it was favorable toward her because it wasn't.

But it was definitely sympathetic in some places.

But it ultimately showed her realizing that she was a star and wanting to take advantage of that status without wanting to do the work necessary to do the job she was being asked to do.

EVAY
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
The real Nicole Wallace was on a Sunday morning talk show this morning and was asked if
the movie was accurate. She said that "it was accurate enough to make me squirm".

She (Wallace) says in one of the last scenes that she didn't vote in the election. I thought that was very telling.

Jacob1983
03-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Palin was a terrible choice for the VP pick for McCain but that's on him and his campaign workers. They did a terrible job vetting her. They probably knew that right after they had first announced she was the VP pick but it was too late to drop her off the ticket so McCain and his campaign were fucked.
I know some of the experts say that Palin on the ticket narrowed the margin of defeat but I disagree with it. I still think McCain would have had a better chance if he had picked someone like his buddy Liebermann or someone else. McCain wanted Liebermann but his campaign buddies said no.

clambake
03-12-2012, 12:00 AM
the dick cheney reference was one of the best lines in the movie.

RandomGuy
03-12-2012, 07:58 AM

But it ultimately showed her realizing that she was a star and wanting to take advantage of that status without wanting to do the work necessary to do the job she was being asked to do.

That was what the NPR guy said about it.

Drachen
03-12-2012, 08:11 AM
probably gonna watch it tomorrow night

Slomo
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM

It showed McCain and Palin as hardly ever interacting with one another. I thought that was interesting.

That surprised me too.

Watched it yesterday. I found several things interesting and new for me (assuming the authors got their facts straight - and the consensus seem to be they have).
- I was surprised at how uneducated she is. Stupidity/lack of intelligence is one thing, but she really doesn't have a clue about a ton of things, and that is not difficult to check before you put someone like her so close to the US presidency.

- The attitude change after the TV debate, that she apparently won (wow!)

- Hunger for public/media attention.

Yes, I didn't feel the film was mean to her on purpose or a caricature of the whole story.

Decent backstage view of the whole thing. I liked the fact that it is still quite fresh in my mind and the film helped connecting the dots.

Drachen
03-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Oh, BTW, Julianne Moore is hot.

ok, carry on

hater
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM

that's what I thought about Bush until I saw W

I can't wait for the scene where she snorts coke from an oil barrel while being trained by Glen Rice and co

elbamba
03-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I recorded it and watched the first 45 minutes. I see why McCain chose her. He was being drilled in the polls and chosing someone like Pawlenty, Romney or Lieberman would not have moved him forward. Obama was like a rock star and that is what McCain needed. Someone that no one knew anything about and was somewhat attractive. In the interest of full disclosure I did not vote for McCain mainly because of the fear that Palin could be the president.

As for the movie. I still cannot believe she was so dumb as to not know that we fought Germany, Italy and Japan in WWII. I also do not believe that she thought Saddam planned the 9/11 attacks.

I do believe that she had no clue about what the Fed is and that she probably knew nothing about Russian/Georgia conflict.

I wish the McCain people would give more specifics on the accuracy of her knowledge.

TDMVPDPOY
03-12-2012, 10:28 AM
did glen rice made an appearance?

Mr. Peabody
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
As for the movie. I still cannot believe she was so dumb as to not know that we fought Germany, Italy and Japan in WWII. I also do not believe that she thought Saddam planned the 9/11 attacks.

I think the WWII reference was from a 60 Minutes interview with Steve Schmidt. He doesn't say that she didn't know these things, but he does say that they did cover the basics of WWI and WWII as part of her lessons.
Link http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6078906n

elbamba
03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I think the WWII reference was from a 60 Minutes interview with Steve Schmidt. He doesn't say that she didn't know these things, but he does say that they did cover the basics of WWI and WWII as part of her lessons.
Link http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6078906n

Good find. Thank you for the video. I can honestly say I am glad McCain did not win in 2008.

FromWayDowntown
03-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Upon watching the film, my immediate thought was that it portrayed Palin as so incredibly unaware of relatively simple political matters that it had to be highly fictionalized. After hearing more of the key players talk about what was going on, I'm convinced that I was wrong and that most of it was accurate.

I understand why the McCain campaign made the choice that it made, but 4 years hence, it still seems like a cynical choice that took a pretty dim view of the American voter.

Wild Cobra
03-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know if this is true, and considering the sources, hard to say. Every depiction I recall seeing in movies and TV series has the president and vice president seldom interacting, and generally have staff contacting each other.

EVAY
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Upon watching the film, my immediate thought was that it portrayed Palin as so incredibly unaware of relatively simple political matters that it had to be highly fictionalized. After hearing more of the key players talk about what was going on, I'm convinced that I was wrong and that most of it was accurate.

I understand why the McCain campaign made the choice that it made, but 4 years hence, it still seems like a cynical choice that took a pretty dim view of the American voter.

And then the American voter bit them in the ass.

Hey, if Wallace, who was/is a Republican operative didn't vote in the election because of what they had learned about her, how could anyone be surprised that lots of independents (like me) took a look at it and said, "Hey, McCain is 72 years old now, has had a history of cancer and would be walking into a job that could easily kill him...and then we would get HER?" NO way!

I'm not a republican and I'm not a democrat. But I do pay attention...and what she showed me in that campaign scared the bejesus out of me.

What amazes me actually is the people who still feel that she is the next messiah. That is the power of populism, folks!!

mrsmaalox
03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
the dick cheney reference was one of the best lines in the movie.

Yes it was, but my favorite was the Fareed Zakaria clip, "The problem is not that she gives the wrong answer, it's that she clearly doesn't understand the question."

I thought it was a good movie. I am not a Palin fan at all, but I found myself feeling some empathy, especially the family aspect. The scenes of her watching the SNL spoofs were sobering.

Looking back at the failed campaign, my first thoughts were to immediately react with "Ugh stupid Palin wrecked that!"; but the movie did a good job of putting the blame exactly where it belonged, squarely on the shoulders of the McCain campaign.

Julianne Moore did a great job; I loved the look on her face as they were clarifying the roles of the Queen and Prime Minister :)

clambake
03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes it was, but my favorite was the Fareed Zakaria clip, "The problem is not that she gives the wrong answer, it's that she clearly doesn't understand the question."

I thought it was a good movie. I am not a Palin fan at all, but I found myself feeling some empathy, especially the family aspect. The scenes of her watching the SNL spoofs were sobering.

Looking back at the failed campaign, my first thoughts were to immediately react with "Ugh stupid Palin wrecked that!"; but the movie did a good job of putting the blame exactly where it belonged, squarely on the shoulders of the McCain campaign.

Julianne Moore did a great job; I loved the look on her face as they were clarifying the roles of the Queen and Prime Minister :)

and the look on their faces when she said "saddam hussein attacked america"

Viva Las Espuelas
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Still attacking a mother of a special needs child :lol
Too funny.

clambake
03-12-2012, 12:55 PM
its not just the kid with special needs.

EVAY
03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
its not just the kid with special needs.

:lol

mingus
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Good movie and I think it will make people more aware of how manipulative and misleading the political process is.

Jacob1983
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Wasn't there a joke about Todd Palin banging his daughters on SNL? I think it was on an episode that had James Franco as the host. Can you imagine if that had been said about Michelle Obama? People would be calling for cancellation of SNL.

baseline bum
03-12-2012, 08:11 PM

I don't think it was in very many places; maybe at the very beginning. Strange to see Peter Gibbons doing the debate prep.

Jacob1983
03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
http://img2.ranker.com/list_img/424/57130/full/list.jpg?version=1256671764000

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/apostlethatroks/7jvqabuaExUTDkTpZn8b6OUxUe33bZNBRYvFOYDHOzAWF85eAH uv7ZWgtW6w/bill-lumbergh-demotivational-p.jpg.scaled.500.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYR T34AOQ&Expires=1331603591&Signature=Hj2cw%2BZLqXueBrqfQIv1qk91HlI%3D

Jacob1983
03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Office Space is a classic.

JoeChalupa
03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I'll have to catch this later as I don't have HBO.