PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm, mmmm got a pot of Cosmiccowboy beans on the stove...

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2012, 08:12 PM
and gonna make a batch of jalapeno cornbread tomorrow for lunch...

This rainy/yucky weather demanded some good comfort food..:toast

MavDynasty
03-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Ok

thispego
03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
pics or it didnt happen.

what an asshole, making a thread about food and not posting pictures of it :rolleyes

Frenzy
03-10-2012, 08:20 PM
No food is safe. Cc is there any food you don't like?

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2012, 08:25 PM
No food is safe. Cc is there any food you don't like?

Turnips.

I like the greens with pickled jalapeno juice but I hate turnips by themselves. I would have starved in the gulags.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
qpB3ME_Xem0

baseline bum
03-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Recipe?

redzero
03-10-2012, 10:57 PM
jalapeno cornbread

Pig disgusting.

tlongII
03-10-2012, 11:26 PM
CC is awesome. Love the dude.

DPG21920
03-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Well wait until you try DPG's 4 alarm 9-bean chili with my homemade jalapeno AND habanero pepper cornbread. That's right folks, 2 types of peppers, not just one in DPG's cornbread. I'm talking 9 different beans all blended together perfectly for what is arguably the best rainy day lunch in history.

Pics coming...

redzero
03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
For some reason, this reminds me of the episode from The Simpsons where Homer puts wax in his mouth to test some chili.

baseline bum
03-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Nothing like a pot of borracho beans. Put a pound of pintos, some water, a bottle of Dos XX, a 1/2 lb of pork shoulder, and cook that shit all day over a low fire. A few hours later fry some bacon up, cut it up and throw it in the pot, then char a couple of poblanos over a flame, peel that shit, dice it and some tomato and onion up and cook that shit in the bacon grease. Throw it in with some salt and then put cilantro in at the end and the shit's great. It's even better after being in the fridge for a day.

baseline bum
03-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Pig disgusting.

I thought it sounded weird at first, but after trying it at Blacks up in Lockhart, I'm sold. Now DPG's idea sounds crazy; orange habaneros are pretty floral and sweet, and sound like an awful mix. If he's talking green, they're more citric, so I don't see that combo either.

Sense
03-11-2012, 12:56 AM
yeah put some pictures of it at least ... I mean you did make a thread about it.

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2012, 10:11 AM
CosmicCowboy kickass beans

Fry 1 pound of chopped bacon ends with 1 large yellow onion (diced) and 3-4 cloves of garlic. Put the bacon on first, add the onions and garlic about 10 minutes later. Fry till the bacon is crisp and the onions are grilled.
Meanwhile, pick/clean 2# of beans. Put in bottom of pot.
Add 2 cans medium rotel with liquid. ( I actually use hatch brand...one tomato/green chili and one tomato jalapeno)
Add 8 tablespoons Fiesta spice bean seasoning
Pour undrained crisp fried bacon/onions/garlic over beans
Add hot water to cover + 2"
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer
simmer covered about 3 hours. Check occasionally to see if you still have enough water. Add hot water if needed.
add salt to taste right at end.

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Jalapeno cornbread

Ingredients:
2 eggs 3 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
¼ cup corn oil 1 cup stone ground cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk 1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar Cheese 2 tsp. baking powder
1 (8 oz.) can cream-style corn ½ tsp. baking soda
1 Large onion, Chopped ½ tsp. salt
(sauté in bacon grease)
6-8 pieces bacon cooked crisp optional (1-2 tablespoons salsa)
Lightly crumbled/broken

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch cast iron skillet (place in oven to get hot).
2. In a small bowl, beat eggs. Mix in corn oil and buttermilk. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese, creamed corn, onion, and jalapeños.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
4. Add and mix half of bacon pieces.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. (if skillet is hot, the batter will start bubbling on the edges)…..this is a good thing.
6. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese and bacon pieces.
7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until center is set and top is golden brown.

benefactor
03-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I thought it sounded weird at first, but after trying it at Blacks up in Lockhart, I'm sold. Now DPG's idea sounds crazy; orange habaneros are pretty floral and sweet, and sound like an awful mix. If he's talking green, they're more citric, so I don't see that combo either.
I was the same way. Someone made it for a pot luck at work a while and I had a chance to try it. Good stuff.

baseline bum
03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks CC... I'll bookmark this thread and try that one out sometime.

BlackSwordsMan
03-11-2012, 03:09 PM
i've never had cornbread before

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2012, 03:37 PM
i've never had cornbread before

Real made from scratch southern cornbread is awesome. Most of the mixes you find in the grocery store taste like cake and totally suck.

BlackSwordsMan
03-11-2012, 03:38 PM
I always picture it as just really dry bread

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I always picture it as just really dry bread

Dude...seriously...make my recipe. It's anything but dry...

Viva Las Espuelas
03-11-2012, 04:09 PM
CosmicCowboy kickass beans

Fry 1 pound of chopped bacon ends with 1 large yellow onion (diced) and 3-4 cloves of garlic. Put the bacon on first, add the onions and garlic about 10 minutes later. Fry till the bacon is crisp and the onions are grilled.
Meanwhile, pick/clean 2# of beans. Put in bottom of pot.
Add 2 cans medium rotel with liquid. ( I actually use hatch brand...one tomato/green chili and one tomato jalapeno)
Add 8 tablespoons Fiesta spice bean seasoning
Pour undrained crisp fried bacon/onions/garlic over beans
Add hot water to cover + 2"
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer
simmer covered about 3 hours. Check occasionally to see if you still have enough water. Add hot water if needed.
add salt to taste right at end.

I do pretty much the same as you but I cook the beans separately. No seasoning. Just beans and water. I also cook the bacon and fresh veggies in a separate pan. I don't open cans. I add cilantro to the mix, also. Crisp the bacon. Get them out of the pan. Add the onion, garlic and jalapenos. cook til the onions are translucent. Then add chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro(a few sprigs) and comino towards the end. (Mmmmmm. Fresh ground comino frying in bacon grease) I prefer fresh ground comino seeds but store bought stuff will do. Cook that until the tomatoes just turn to mush then throw it in with the beans and that's it. I cook the beans first then add the bacon/veggie mixture.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Well wait until you try DPG's 4 alarm 9-bean chili with my homemade jalapeno AND habanero pepper cornbread. That's right folks, 2 types of peppers, not just one in DPG's cornbread. I'm talking 9 different beans all blended together perfectly for what is arguably the best rainy day lunch in history.

Pics coming...
beans in chili :lol

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2012, 04:25 PM
I do pretty much the same as you but I cook the beans separately. No seasoning. Just beans and water. I also cook the bacon and fresh veggies in a separate pan. I don't open cans. I add cilantro to the mix, also. Crisp the bacon. Get them out of the pan. Add the onion, garlic and jalapenos. cook til the onions are translucent. Then add chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro(a few sprigs) and comino towards the end. (Mmmmmm. Fresh ground comino frying in bacon grease) I prefer fresh ground comino seeds but store bought stuff will do. Cook that until the tomatoes just turn to mush then throw it in with the beans and that's it. I cook the beans first then add the bacon/veggie mixture.

Yours sound god but I like to keep things as simple as possible as long as it still tastes great. I'm a big believer in canned tomatos over store bought tomatos as they use better tasting varieties and are picked fresh and processed immediately...the varieties you can buy "fresh" in the store are chosen for their ability to be shipped without damage and taste be damned. Obviously if you have your own garden thats a different story but I'm just not a snob about using canned tomatoes.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
interesting take

do they add anything to canned tomatoes that could make them cancerous/unhealthy?

i have the same opinion about frozen vegetables -- ie flash frozen right after being picked so 'fresher' than 'fresh' vegs at the store

Cancerous killer tomatoes i saidddddddddddddddddddd

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
The other 4000 calories I eat are fine, but mah tomatoes in a can better not cause cancer I said I said I saiddddddddddddddddddddddddd

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Also, I'm sure CC loves cancerous tomatoes, he eats them all the timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Dumb question.

BlackSwordsMan
03-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Know any short cake recipes, CC?

Mark in Austin
03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
interesting take

do they add anything to canned tomatoes that could make them cancerous/unhealthy?

Not to the tomatoes, but most cans are lined with a product that contains BPA, an endocrine disruptor (google it).

Here is a company that uses bpa-free cans:

Eden Foods (http://www.edenfoods.com/store/index.php?cPath=23_41)

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Know any short cake recipes, CC?

naaa, I don't really do cakes.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 06:58 PM
CC, don't you hate when people try to be something they aren't in the kitchen and always try to have the "edgy" recipes even though people would just accept their normal recipes if they were themselves?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
but I like to keep things as simple as possible as long as it still tastes great. ????

it's pretty much the same as yours. just add cilantro. if you mean by using canned stuff then I guess mine is more advanced. either way, the results are scrumptious.

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
pics as demanded...:lol

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2284/mountainlaurel014.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/mountainlaurel014.jpg/)

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3716/mountainlaurel013.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/mountainlaurel013.jpg/)

Sense
03-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Ok now that looks good.

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
CC, don't you hate when people try to be something they aren't in the kitchen and always try to have the "edgy" recipes even though people would just accept their normal recipes if they were themselves?

LOL

I do most of the cooking at my family gatherings but I always request my sisters bring one dish. I have one that always tries to make the latest food network dish...

"Look, I went to Central Market and my green bean casserole has FOUR exotic cheeses in it also has dried cranberries!"...:lol

Drachen
03-12-2012, 08:53 AM
LOL

I do most of the cooking at my family gatherings but I always request my sisters bring one dish. I have one that always tries to make the latest food network dish...

"Look, I went to Central Market and my green bean casserole has FOUR exotic cheeses in it also has dried cranberries!"...:lol

As long as it has fresh green beans, then I wouldn't care. I hate canned vegetables (green beans are especially bad).

mrsmaalox
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
As long as it has fresh green beans, then I wouldn't care. I hate canned vegetables (green beans are especially bad).

Canned green beans definitely have a distinct flavor, and I sometimes get a hankering for them. Especially the way my grandma cooked them, with onion, tomato and scrambled eggs :hungry:

I remember when my kids started school and they raved about the green beans at lunch and asked me why I never cooked them at home. I was surprised because I cook green beans all the time! So soon after I made it a point to tell them I was making green beans for dinner that night, of course I steamed fresh green beans, and the kids were bummed out, "Those aren't green beans, those are those long green things you always make!" :lol

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Canned green beans definitely have a distinct flavor, and I sometimes get a hankering for them. Especially the way my grandma cooked them, with onion, tomato and scrambled eggs :hungry:

They were probably nopalitos and she just told you they were green beans...:lol

mrsmaalox
03-12-2012, 01:44 PM
They were probably nopalitos and she just told you they were green beans...:lol

Yes! I was going to add that she used the canned green beans as a substitute for the nopalitos, as they weren't a common grocery store item in west Texas back then. My grandpa worked for Southern Pacific railroad and he'd bring home the real thing when he made it over to these parts, but I didn't like that so much :)

vy65
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
lol fat antonio
lol diabetes
lol rascal

baseline bum
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Nopales? Blech. Every time I cook them they taste awful, even if I boil that shit for a while to get all the sap out. Plus what a pain in the ass to pull all the spines out. The tunas aren't bad though.

clambake
03-12-2012, 02:14 PM
"damn cc, i want to see some improvement in those grout lines....or i'll be seeing you in my office."

Viva Las Espuelas
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Screw cactus all together

cantthinkofanything
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Man that screw cactus take hundreds of pricks.

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Nopales? Blech. Every time I cook them they taste awful, even if I boil that shit for a while to get all the sap out. Plus what a pain in the ass to pull all the spines out. The tunas aren't bad though.

You use a pearburner to burn the thorns off, then peel them.

I made up a batch of tuna vodka last year that was really freaking good...was a deep purple with a really unique sweet taste to it.

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2012, 02:27 PM
"damn cc, i want to see some improvement in those grout lines....or i'll be seeing you in my office."

LOL that countertop gets torn out when I remodel. That room becomes the walk in pantry/butlers pantry with refrigerator/freezer/icemaker and building a whole new double work center kitchen behind it with stainless tops...maybe granite on the island but granite is just so 2008...:lol

clambake
03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
LOL that countertop gets torn out when I remodel. That room becomes the walk in pantry/butlers pantry with refrigerator/freezer/icemaker and building a whole new double work center kitchen behind it with stainless tops...maybe granite on the island but granite is just so 2008...:lol

i can't stand granite anymore.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
I made up a batch of tuna vodka last year that was really freaking good...was a deep purple with a really unique sweet taste to it.
Tuna vodka?? Why????? I'm sure the taste was unique.

cantthinkofanything
03-12-2012, 02:40 PM

Funny how everyone takes course grained igneous counter tops for granite nowadays.

AmericanPsycho
03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Those look like pork n beans.

cantthinkofanything
03-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Actually it tastes a lot like Whore's Vag Vodka.

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Yeah...When home depot has a display as you walk in the door you know it's time for something else.

If I do any granite it will be just on the island and it would be a locally harvested one from Marble Falls/Granite Shoals.

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Tuna vodka and lemonade is a great summer buzz.

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Those look like pork n beans.

Wow.

Did you read the recipe?

THey are all in there in their most delicious presentation.