PDA

View Full Version : Report: Spurs listening to trade offers this week

Duncan2177
03-11-2012, 03:42 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/03/10/trade-deadline-week-a-sleepy-time-for-spurs/

The Spurs will listen to offers this week. If a team is looking to move a proven backup point guard, the uncertainty around T.J. Ford’s situation might be of interest. Nobody would blame Ford for being extra-cautious returning from the neck stinger he suffered on Wednesday, and while Gary Neal proved he could run the team from the point in a credible performance against Chris Paul on Friday, Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford would listen if a team wanted to offer a backup point guard for this summer’s first-round pick.

What seems more likely for a pre-playoff acquisition may be one of the players likely to be bought out after the deadline.

Wouldn’t Tony Parker’s good friend, Boris Diaw, jump at a chance to sign a minimum contract with the Spurs if the Bobcats, as expected, buy out what remains of the final season on his deal later this month? After all, it was Diaw who danced down the AT&T Center hallways with Parker’s brothers in celebration of the Spurs’ 2005 title.

The truth of trade deadline week for the Spurs is this: If one of the teams looking to rebuild for the future feels like offering the Spurs a useful, cost-efficient player in exchange for a first-round pick that figures to be near the bottom of the draft, nobody will have to awaken Popovich or Buford.

timvp
03-11-2012, 03:48 PM
A first round draft pick for a backup point guard would be a horrific trade. Even if TJ Ford is out for the season, I'd much rather the Spurs go with Neal and Ginobili behind Parker than waste a first round pick on a player who Pop probably won't even trust come playoff time.

DesignatedT
03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Stupid and not happening.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Do these Spurs first round picks have any actual value and if so, how much? Do a couple first rounders allow you to dump RJ? Will they get you a rotational player? Are they not valuable at all?

Where is the true value of late first rounders with regards to the Spurs and other teams?

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Also, if the Spurs are worried about the back up PG spot and not a PF they should go ahead and just keep the pick.

Ditty
03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
The only way I would give up this years first round pick is if it's for a solid big man, if we use it on a backup point guard, I would hope that our big man would get dominated in the first round again to prove how shitty this front office has been lately.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
We know Sessions is available for a first rounder....

Robz4000
03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm starting to think the FO might have a plan here to get the team into better shape roster-wise. Hoping to see something good.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Is Buck even piped in at all?

Spursfan092120
03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
More important sentences in this same article...

In the entire Popovich coaching era, which began Dec. 10, 1996, the Spurs have made only four trades during deadline week.

Having the second-best record in the Western Conference this season hardly produces imperative for change. Why mess with something that has worked so well?

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 04:20 PM
That second line is the stupidest thing I've read all year. All anyone has to do is point to last year and his point is moot. Or the fact the Spurs haven't won a 2nd round game in years.

timtonymanu
03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I will consider rooting for another team this season if the front office carries that mentality that the 2nd line says.

ace3g
03-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Unless Spurs trade for a PF/C; Diaw (bought out) is probably going to be the only available PF/C with actual experience that Pop might give a chance in the playoff to replace Blair in the rotation (no one can replace Bonner sadly...).

dunkman
03-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Why would the Spurs waste an first rounder when Parker, TJ, Neal and Manu could run the point. How bad is the last TJ Fords injury?

The Spurs would do better drafting a solid player with their pick, Duncan and Manu will retire in few seasons. Parker, Splitter and George Hill (later traded for Leonard's and Lorbek's rights) were picked with bottom first rounders.

Ditty
03-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't believe too much of the Spurs trading James Anderson at the trade deadline from what I have heard also.

Spursfan092120
03-11-2012, 04:33 PM
How bad is the last TJ Fords injury?

stinger...non-issue.

jjktkk
03-11-2012, 04:35 PM
The only way I would give up this years first round pick is if it's for a solid big man, if we use it on a backup point guard, I would hope that our big man would get dominated in the first round again to prove how shitty this front office has been lately.

This. It would be difficult for a pg. brought in, to learn the playbook on the fly, this far into the season. Add in the fact that this draft is suppose to be deep, and I don't know if I want to see the Spurs trade away thier 1st rounder for a backup pg.

loveforthegame
03-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Also, if the Spurs are worried about the back up PG spot and not a PF they should go ahead and just keep the pick.

That was my first thought too. But I wonder if they're confident enough in being able to sign a PF who is bought out (Diaw maybe?) which would allow them to use a first round pick on a backup point?

If that's not the plan then it's bothersome to say the least that they're more concerned with a back PG than a PF.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 04:43 PM
But the article is saying nothing that anyone doesn't know: The Spurs are listening to offers.

Let's hope they are doing more than "just listening". Let's hope they are burning up the lines trying to do something to address the glaring weakness this team has had for years now.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Do these Spurs first round picks have any actual value and if so, how much? Do a couple first rounders allow you to dump RJ? Will they get you a rotational player? Are they not valuable at all?

Where is the true value of late first rounders with regards to the Spurs and other teams?

Timvp, any thoughts on this?

Libri
03-11-2012, 04:48 PM
The tight lipped Spurs are suddenly letting everybody know what are their trade plans. I'm not buying what that article is reporting.

Halberto
03-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I will consider rooting for another team this season if the front office carries that mentality that the 2nd line says.

how did you earn a bolded name? smh

timtonymanu
03-11-2012, 04:59 PM
how did you earn a bolded name? smh

I'm just saying. If they picked up the phone and gave it a shot, I'll support them. But if they're just doing "Why make a change if it's working well?" That's an ignorant way of thinking on their part.

benefactor
03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
That second line is the stupidest thing I've read all year. All anyone has to do is point to last year and his point is moot. Or the fact the Spurs haven't won a 2nd round game in years.
...which is why I don't bother to read or even click on links from MySA.

lol intellectual property

ElNono
03-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Wasn't the next draft supposed to be loaded with talent? Why would you want to trade your pick for some cheap vet PG?

Texas_Ranger
03-11-2012, 05:25 PM
getting a PG for 1st rounder would be fucking stupid. I don't know how our FO just can't get a big. We got only 4 guys there and I call just 2 of those good.

slick'81
03-11-2012, 05:28 PM
yeah with tjs spine issues he might not play again this season if the spurs panic and dump a first for a backup pg ....FAIL

jjktkk
03-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Wasn't the next draft supposed to be loaded with talent? Why would you want to trade your pick for some cheap vet PG?

jjktkk
03-11-2012, 05:38 PM
getting a PG for 1st rounder would be fucking stupid. I don't know how our FO just can't get a big. We got only 4 guys there and I call just 2 of those good.

They don't grow on trees. Or better yet, pretend your a rival GM from another team who has a quality bigman to trade. Who do think that rival GM wants from the Spurs? RJ, Boner, Blair, Anderson? Do you think, realistically, that Pop and RJ want ot trade any of the big 3, or promising young players in Leonard, Splitter, Neal to get that big? Yea its frustrating as a fan that the Spurs can't get that bigman easily, but try being realistic in evaluating the Spurs trade prospects.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
They don't grow on trees. Or better yet, pretend your a rival GM from another team who has a quality bigman to trade. Who do think that rival GM wants from the Spurs? RJ, Boner, Blair, Anderson? Do you think, realistically, that Pop and RJ want ot trade any of the big 3, or promising young players in Leonard, Splitter, Neal to get that big? Yea its frustrating as a fan that the Spurs can't get that bigman easily, but try being realistic in evaluating the Spurs trade prospects.

Spurs need to be looking for teams looking to dump players (like the RJ trade). That is the type of big they need to target; a big on a team that doesn't make financial sense.

The real question is if the Spurs are willing to take the financial hit in order to bolster their chances and how much they value cap space (if they have any next season depending on Duncan).

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 05:46 PM
:lol

jjktkk
03-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Spurs need to be looking for teams looking to dump players (like the RJ trade). That is the type of big they need to target; a big on a team that doesn't make financial sense.

The real question is if the Spurs are willing to take the financial hit in order to bolster their chances and how much they value cap space (if they have any next season depending on Duncan).

Just speculating, but I'm sure the FO has/is looking to dump RJ. But I'm not sure Holt wants to take on more salary. I see the Spurs going the cheap route, by picking up a vet waived by his team, and going thru on amestying RJ in the Summer.

CGD
03-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Sure, but what do you really expect at the 27th pick (assuming our record holds)?

Wild Cobra Kai
03-11-2012, 06:10 PM

It's not a first rounder in a vacuum, it's a first rounder in THIS draft. Most of the good players from last year's NCAA stayed put because of the lockout. You essentially have the one and dones and a GREAT class of two and thrus.

jjktkk
03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Sure, but what do you really expect at the 27th pick (assuming our record holds)?

A George Hill, a chance to move up in the draft, like this past year draft day trade, moving up to get Leonard. given the Spur's FO and especially ther scouting dept., I have faith in the Spurs getting a solid prospect outta of the draft. 1st rounders are too valuable to piss away on a backup pg. imo.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 06:14 PM
It's not a first rounder in a vacuum, it's a first rounder in THIS draft. Most of the good players from last year's NCAA stayed put because of the lockout. You essentially have the one and dones and a GREAT class of two and thrus.

Ok, how much value does this pick this year have? Enough to entice a team to take RJ? Enough to where a team will give you a rotational player for a lesser player? No real value?

The ADMIRAL 50
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
a first round draft pick for a backup point guard would be a horrific trade. Even if tj ford is out for the season, i'd much rather the spurs go with neal and ginobili behind parker than waste a first round pick on a player who pop probably won't even trust come playoff time.

e
x
a
c
t
l
y

The Truth #6
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
It's entirely possible the Spurs are not looking for a vet PG and just said that for the hell of it. Maybe it's another weak smokescreen? Maybe they just like screwing with the EN? I think this report can't be taken too seriously because the Spurs just about never reveal their intentions this directly.

TD 21
03-11-2012, 06:28 PM
A first round draft pick for a backup point guard would be a horrific trade. Even if TJ Ford is out for the season, I'd much rather the Spurs go with Neal and Ginobili behind Parker than waste a first round pick on a player who Pop probably won't even trust come playoff time.

Exactly. And not only would I, like you, rather they just go with Neal and Ginobili in tandem if Ford is out, but Pop obviously would too, as evidenced by them not bringing in a veteran when Ginobili and Ford were out for an extended stretch. I've said for the past few years that I'm all for trading the 1st round pick, but it's got to be to acquire the type of PF they need. They've got four guards that can make plays, which is more than enough.

As I said yesterday, I think the best that can be hoped for is that they sign Diaw, quickly get him into shape, he fits in fairly seamlessly, they start him and Leonard, use Green as the backup three and drop Jefferson from the rotation. I actually think all but the last one has got a realistic chance of happening.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Ok, how much value does this pick this year have? Enough to entice a team to take RJ? Enough to where a team will give you a rotational player for a lesser player? No real value?

I can't really tell you the value around the league, because there are a lot of teams that have totally whack ideas of NBA player value. I can tell you that in a draft like this, you might see late/borderline lottery talent players slip into the mid to late 20s. This is going to be a flush draft where we might get Kawhi level talent without doing a thing.

I also think that with the prospective re-signing of Tim to the amounts speculated, there will be no FA shopping this summer, BUT, SA will be willing to trade RJ and keep that player on the books, since Tim's cut takes them out of tax danger.

jjktkk
03-11-2012, 06:33 PM

Only a high lottery pick would entice another team to take on RJ's contract. That or a team would swap their player's bad contract for RJ's, which you mentioned in another post. With Tim needing to be resigned, as well as RJ's albatross of a contract weighing on the Spur's salary cap, the Spurs need that 1st rounder as part of other avenues to improve the team next year imo. I say this, with the opinion that they will not be able to pull off a trade for a bigman prior to the deadline this year.

03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
so.. they are not targeting a big. sigh...

BackHome
03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
What sucks is that TJ is a good backup PG but he is made out of glass so you really can't count on him being there when you need him. Then you add to the fact that they drafted CJ who might be ready after starting 2-3 years in the D-Leauge.

So going into next year we have to replace TJ/RJ/ and hope that we could use Blair/Anderson/CJ to maybe trade up and get a guy we need and maybe add a early second round pick.

Mal
03-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Wouldnt Aaron Brooks be avaible when China`s season ends ?

Mel_13
03-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Wouldnt Aaron Brooks be avaible when China`s season ends ?

I don't think so.

He's a restricted free agent and the deadline to sign an offer sheet was March 1st. Even if he was available, the Spurs would be able to make an offer that Phoenix wouldn't match.

Bruno
03-11-2012, 07:08 PM
It's logical that Spurs want more depth at PG. Ford is so injury prone and Joseph is so bad. TJ Ford retiring is too a possibility. Spurs could also need him as salary filler in a trade.

Saying that, giving up a first round pick for that backup PG would be dumb because the Neal/Ginobili backcourt should be fine. The vet PG added could be more a third stringer than a true backup.

Mel_13
03-11-2012, 07:08 PM
The article is Monroe's obligatory trade deadline piece. He looks back at past deadline moves and near-moves and speculates as to what the Spurs might do this year.

I'm surprised at how many here believe this article offers some insight based on inside information. It's pure speculation and nothing more.

Mal
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
JA + TJ = Earl Watson. Spurs easily could give them rights to Bertrans/Hanga if they like.

Horse
03-11-2012, 07:19 PM
We have the best record in the conference last season then our best player breaks his arm, We then lose to a superhot grizzly team. Why is it so fucking surprising to everyone that you lose when your best player doesn't play or has a fucking broken arm and can't play to his usual level.

Texas_Ranger
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
We have the best record in the conference last season then our best player breaks his arm, We then lose to a superhot grizzly team. Why is it so fucking surprising to everyone that you lose when your best player doesn't play or has a fucking broken arm and can't play to his usual level.

Cause Memphis was also playing without their best player.

ace3g
03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Ilyasova with another strong game tonight: 31 pts, 12 boards:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2012031128

suitedkings
03-11-2012, 08:11 PM
He would have to get over himself first.

Duncan2177
03-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Memphis had a size advantage over us. It was a bad match up for us.

SenorSpur
03-11-2012, 08:27 PM

Amen!

SenorSpur
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Amen again.

That would be the only scenario that makes sense - and it certainly would have to be a better-than-average, mid-career or younger, big man.

SenorSpur
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM

The 2012 NBA draft is certainly scheduled to be one of the better ones. There will undoubtedly be some quality young bigs available to them.

Since the Spurs are building for the future - to a degree - it would hardly make sense to give away a 1st round pick. The Spurs draft well enough to get a solid young player to build their core for the future.

SenorSpur
03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
A George Hill, a chance to move up in the draft, like this past year draft day trade, moving up to get Leonard. given the Spur's FO and especially ther scouting dept., I have faith in the Spurs getting a solid prospect outta of the draft. 1st rounders are too valuable to piss away on a backup pg. imo.

Perhaps the Spurs could build a package that includes JA to try and duplicate their strategy of last year's draft.

SenorSpur
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Memphis had a size advantage over us. It was a bad match up for us.

Which is exactly why the FO will and should go to reasonable lengths to mitigagte that size disadvantage. If they do not, another early playoff exit will be forthcoming.

Mal
03-11-2012, 08:46 PM

That`s why Spurs need backup PG. Firstly to get rest to starters, then make subs in playoffs. Spurs are too old not to have quality guys on bench. With age there is better possiblity of minor injury.

SenorSpur
03-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I read today that Anthony Carter has been sent back to his home in Denver by the Raptors. All indications are he may be released.

ace3g
03-11-2012, 09:16 PM
What is the Best Outcome for the Boris Diaw Fiasco?

http://robertogato.com/2012/03/11/what-is-the-best-outcome-for-the-boris-diaw-fiasco/

Mal
03-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Ok, so no one trade for him, because it is sooo unlikely. Who would ? Which team may dump player with 10 mil contract ?

Hawks selling Smith to Bobcats ? No way
Maybe Bucks selling Bogut ? Bargagni getting trade by Toronto ? Stephen Jackson ? There is no chance for Diaw to be traded.

If Diaw will say he give 500k-750k on buyout, why would Bobctas not release him ?

timvp
03-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Late first round picks historically have a value of about $3 million. However, with the CBA now limiting the amount of money a team can include in trades per season, that value may change going forward.

But ~$3 million is a good estimation.

Paranoid Pop
03-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok, so no one trade for him, because it is sooo unlikely. Who would ? Which team may dump player with 10 mil contract ?

Hawks selling Smith to Bobcats ? No way
Maybe Bucks selling Bogut ? Bargagni getting trade by Toronto ? Stephen Jackson ? There is no chance for Diaw to be traded.

If Diaw will say he give 500k-750k on buyout, why would Bobctas not release him ?

To fuck with him :depressed. Who knows at this point, hopefully it all works out.

DPG21920
03-11-2012, 10:54 PM
The person writing that article on Diaw was just a fan I think. A frustrated one understandably.

timvp
03-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Is Buck even piped in at all?That's Mike Monroe. He just makes stuff up, tbh.

I read today that Anthony Carter has been sent back to his home in Denver by the Raptors. All indications are he may be released.Anthony Carter as an emergency point guard wouldn't be bad. Good defender and good passer. His shot has left him but his defense is good enough that I'd be able to look past that.

Cane
03-11-2012, 11:40 PM
tbh I wonder if the Spurs are interested in Ramon Sessions like DPG posted earlier

Sessions at the point would be nice but an upgrade in the frontcourt has to be a top priority....although watching the Spurs just dribble the ball up the court is a struggle :depressed

Memphis had the size and athleticism advantage over the Spurs and will need to make more moves to contend

Leetonidas
03-12-2012, 01:07 AM
This makes me miss Jacques Vaughn :(

TDMVPDPOY
03-12-2012, 01:27 AM
diaw can play point forward, but the problem is ppl still think he can play like 06 where he avg alot of assists, then again he played in the shitty suns system racking up stats...

sehui
03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Does anyone else just eager for a midseason trade, whether or not it potentially helps out the team? I was pretty stoked with the Kurt Thomas trade back in '08, I just want some trade excitement as a Spurs fan..

If we manage to move James Anderson before the deadline, it will be a miracle and a large enough win for us.

venitian navigator
03-12-2012, 02:19 AM
It doesn't make sense to trade our first for a back up point guard considering there are already some options in the free market available probably for the minimum that have the same value of what the market can offer.
The first one is the poiunt guard of the Toros...that should be be a player with fits immediately, considering they play our system.
Others are Patrick Mills or Earl Boykins...both are good enough to play just some minutes (considering that is Ford they're gonna replace).

venitian navigator
03-12-2012, 02:19 AM
It doesn't make sense to trade our first for a back up point guard considering there are already some options in the free market available probably for the minimum that have the same value of what the market can offer.
The first one is the poiunt guard of the Toros...that should be be a player with fits immediately, considering they play our system.
Others are Patrick Mills or Earl Boykins...both are good enough to play just some minutes (considering that is Ford they're gonna replace).

Fireball
03-12-2012, 04:21 AM
can we stop worrying about guards please ... thats the least of our problems right now

100%duncan
03-12-2012, 05:03 AM
unfortunately, we need a big not a pg even though it's still a need I think we can cope up with the guards but with our frontline, nothing's gonna happen

TDMVPDPOY
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
unfortunately, we need a big not a pg even though it's still a need I think we can cope up with the guards but with our frontline, nothing's gonna happen

trade for big

sign vet pg maybe quin, he did a good job in limited minutes...

mountainballer
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
huh?
a rumor that the Spurs might be in busines for a PG and the whole forum goes nuts and call such an idea a bad one? well, the game is still about defense as well and I think none can deny that the Spurs often struggle to defend the opponents PGs. when Hill was traded the Spurs lost something in this department and didn't compensate for it. of course you can argue, that Manu and Neal bring enough playmaking for the back up PG role. but do they provide enough defense, especially against the faster PGs?

therealtruth
03-12-2012, 08:56 AM
huh?
a rumor that the Spurs might be in busines for a PG and the whole forum goes nuts and call such an idea a bad one? well, the game is still about defense as well and I think none can deny that the Spurs often struggle to defend the opponents PGs. when Hill was traded the Spurs lost something in this department and didn't compensate for it. of course you can argue, that Manu and Neal bring enough playmaking for the back up PG role. but do they provide enough defense, especially against the faster PGs?

Hill's defense was overrated.

DPG21920
03-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Bruno, do you really think it is that difficult to find a PF that is better than Bonner/Blair? I mean, I know trades are difficult and there are a lot of unknowns, but Blair/Bonner are not anywhere close to starting caliber bigs on a playoff team.

TDMVPDPOY
03-12-2012, 10:05 AM
im certain a trade is going down....

Leetonidas
03-12-2012, 10:10 AM
You'd think people would realize by now that whatever is printed is bullshit and likely not what the FO is pursuing

FromWayDowntown
03-12-2012, 10:46 AM
You'd think people would realize by now that whatever is printed is bullshit and likely not what the FO is pursuing

You'd think.

I suppose that another possibility here, giving some credence to the report, is that the Spurs believe that they have some assurance that if Diaw is bought out, he'll only have eyes for SA; assuming that's true, the trade market does become a place to shore up other concerns. I think it's possible that the basketball group believes that the Spurs would be better if Ginobili and Neal are playing primarily in the wing rotation, with Parker and the backup PG to be named handling the point.

Or maybe the Spurs want to acquire a backup PG to allow them to throw Parker into the deal to get Dwight Howard.

hater
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
another year, another crushing of spursfan hopes at trade deadline

Bruno
03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Bruno, do you really think it is that difficult to find a PF that is better than Bonner/Blair? I mean, I know trades are difficult and there are a lot of unknowns, but Blair/Bonner are not anywhere close to starting caliber bigs on a playoff team.

I don't know, just tell me some names of starting caliber PF Spurs can get...

spurs10
03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't know, just tell me some names of starting caliber PF Spurs can get...
Good question. Bruno, how much money will the Spurs have to work with considering TJ's injury and retirement? They can replace his salary can't they?

Mal
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Good question. Bruno, how much money will the Spurs have to work with considering TJ's injury and retirement? They can replace his salary can't they?

Spurs still have G. Hill excepction.

The best d-league pg is ... ?

Ari Gold
03-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Would you guys want Goran Dragic?

cantthinkofanything
03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Would you guys want Goran Dragic?

yes please. We'd like to trade RJ for him.

Darkwaters
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
He'd be a great pick up actually. Cheap contract too, and expiring. Not sure what Houston would want for him.

How funny would it be to trade Dejuan Blair for him? Almost like we've made that trade before....

We need to focus on bigs before guards though. Way before.

FromWayDowntown
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM

I don't think a team gets any sort of automatic exception for a retired player.

My recollection is that when a player announces that he is retiring for medical reasons, the team can get an exception if the medical reasons are validated by a league doctor, but then the cap savings don't go into effect for another year. And if the player later comes back, the team that got the cap savings has whatever amount was saved applied to its cap in the year the player returns. This situation arose a few years ago with Darius Miles and it made Portland look really bad (along with costing them a lot of money).

Bruno
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM

TJ Ford has a min salary. His retirement won't really impact Spurs financial situation. He might be part of a package to help Spurs absorb a bigger salary. Spurs can too salary dump him and save about $700K in luxury tax.

Maddog
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
another year, another crushing of spursfan hopes at trade deadline

No crushed hopes here-
I realize the Spurs are very limited with regards to getting a deal done.
More so now than in the past. In the TD era only one trade of any significance- Malik for Nazr.

spurs50_
03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Spurs need to initiate talks not sit by the phone sipping wine waiting for the phone to ring. We all know the kind of deals pop makes while under the influence.:whine

therealtruth
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM

The Grizzlies got M. Speights for X. Henry and on short notice. We couldn't have turned J. Anderson into a bigman? The reason we're not getting any big men is because Pop doesn't think it's fair to Bonner/Blair.

therealtruth
03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
He'd be a great pick up actually. Cheap contract too, and expiring. Not sure what Houston would want for him.

How funny would it be to trade Dejuan Blair for him? Almost like we've made that trade before....

We need to focus on bigs before guards though. Way before.

Dragic is too valuable especially with Lowry out.

Duncan2177
03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
The Grizzlies got M. Speights for X. Henry and on short notice. We couldn't have turned J. Anderson into a bigman? The reason we're not getting any big men is because Pop doesn't think it's fair to Bonner/Blair.

And what have those two scrubs done? Pop is a idiot

DJB
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Everyone's on the block except for Bonner?

jjktkk
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
The Grizzlies got M. Speights for X. Henry and on short notice. We couldn't have turned J. Anderson into a bigman? [B]The reason we're not getting any big men is because Pop doesn't think it's fair to Bonner/Blair.

What a quality poster your shaping up to be. And I'm sure JA wowed the rest of the NBA with his stellar play this season. Wouldn't be surprised that alot of teams are trying to take JA off the Spur's hands. Why just stop with a big? We should be able to land a backup pg. and a draft pick for JA.

therealtruth
03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
What a quality poster your shaping up to be. And I'm sure JA wowed the rest of the NBA with his stellar play this season. Wouldn't be surprised that alot of teams are trying to take JA off the Spur's hands. Why just stop with a big? We should be able to land a backup pg. and a draft pick for JA.

X. Henry hasn't shown much in his NBA career either. Both guys at this point are worth more in potential than in what they've shown. Potential can be an important factor in trades.

Mr Bones
03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Isn't every reasonable Front office always listening to trade offers? Seems like a silly thread title.

dbestpro
03-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Spurs front office will hear but not listen.

acoelho1
03-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Dragic is highly underrated and would be a good pickup if we could get him. I think he would be an upgrade over Ford. We still need another defensive big to challenge in the west. Hopefully, the Spurs strike some magic.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Dragic is highly underrated and would be a good pickup if we could get him. I think he would be an upgrade over Ford. We still need another defensive big to challenge in the west. Hopefully, the Spurs strike some magic.

Dragic is rated pretty correctly. Other than the team he's on and the Spurs, he's barely rotation quality against the other 28 teams.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-13-2012, 02:13 AM
X. Henry hasn't shown much in his NBA career either. Both guys at this point are worth more in potential than in what they've shown. Potential can be an important factor in trades.

Henry has a higher upside and hasn't suffered a horrific leg injury like Anderson have.

Texas_Ranger
03-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Dragič as a starter is a 18 & 9 guy. If he was in NY he'd be the new Lin.

celldweller
03-13-2012, 09:21 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=84ngl28

For the LOVE of God Make it happen RC!!!!

mountainballer
03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
just thought that Jordan Farmar might be a player the Spurs look at.

Nets want to free as much cap space as possible, so they will listen to offers of expirings for Farmar. Ford+Anderson+Joseph works under the cap and clears additional 3.2 million cap space for the Nets this summer.
Farmar offers some qualities the Spurs will like, especially his PO and championship expirience. the negative is, he will eat up cap space 2012.
(on the other hand, if the Spurs re sign Tim and Danny Green, there won't be CS anyhow.)

yavozerb
03-13-2012, 10:13 AM
just thought that Jordan Farmar might be a player the Spurs look at.

Nets want to free as much cap space as possible, so they will listen to offers of expirings for Farmar. Ford+Anderson+Joseph works under the cap and clears additional 3.2 million cap space for the Nets this summer.
Farmar offers some qualities the Spurs will like, especially his PO and championship expirience. the negative is, he will eat up cap space 2012.
(on the other hand, if the Spurs re sign Tim and Danny Green, there won't be CS anyhow.)

3.2 mil. on a back up pg for more than 1 season, no thanks....Even though the spurs will not have the cap room we all thought next season they will still have enough to make a fair offer for Lorbek.