PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the starters will play tomorrow?

Arcadian
03-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Tomorrow is the only Spurs game I will get to attend this year, as I'm visiting SA and spending some time with family for a few days. We already got the tickets, but I don't really know what to expect for the starting lineup. The Spurs are coming off two days of rest, but Parker has that minor injury, and it is against Washington.

Reck
03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
If they dont then pop should get a fine.

Do it once, ok but twice in a year? Totally unnaceptable. Specially if that leads to a Spurs loss.

spurs10
03-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Only person out for tomorrow is TJ...Tony is playing. See spurs.com interview today.

Hoops Czar
03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Tomorrow is the only Spurs game I will get to attend this year, as I'm visiting SA and spending some time with family for a few days. We already got the tickets, but I don't really know what to expect for the starting lineup. The Spurs are coming off two days of rest, but Parker has that minor injury, and it is against Washington.

You can never be too sure. The regular season means nothing and Pop could give a flying shit about seeding. Many Spurs fan on here will blame you for not planning accordingly. You should never buy tickets until 5 minutes before tip because thats the only way to be sure. Good luck to you and keep your fingers crossed.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Seeding is more important for the Spurs this year than last. They'd rather see Houston, Portland, or Minny in the first round than OKC, LAL, MEM, LAC, or DAL. Noticeable difference in competition.

ElNono
03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
I think they'll play. No reason not to, especially after dropping a few games in this home stand.

spurs10
03-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I think they'll play. No reason not to, especially after dropping a few games in this home stand.
:toast They will be playing with fire in their belly tomorrow. The recent loses will be all it takes.
:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Cry Havoc
03-12-2012, 02:45 AM
You can never be too sure. The regular season means nothing and Pop could give a flying shit about seeding. Many Spurs fan on here will blame you for not planning accordingly. You should never buy tickets until 5 minutes before tip because thats the only way to be sure. Good luck to you and keep your fingers crossed.

Dear god, let it rest already.

The same people bitching at Pop for resting his starters would be the same ones bitching and moaning for his head if he played exhausted stars and one of them got injured.

Keepin' it real
03-12-2012, 08:15 AM
you can never be too sure. The regular season means nothing and pop could give a flying shit about seeding. Many spurs fan on here will blame you for not planning accordingly. You should never buy tickets until 5 minutes before tip because thats the only way to be sure. Good luck to you and keep your fingers crossed.

+1

TJastal
03-12-2012, 08:35 AM

The same people bitching at Pop for resting his starters would be the same ones bitching and moaning for his head if he played exhausted stars and one of them got injured.

And the same people bitching about the bitching would come on here bitching if they spent alot of $$ for good seating and we're served a 1st class bowl of forfeit.

Hoops Czar
03-12-2012, 08:51 AM

You can't prevent injuries from occuring. Manu could rest the three or four games to end the regular season, go home, take a shower and slip on a bar of soap and miss the playoffs. If you want to keep players fresh without tiring them out, play them a fixed amount of minutes and don't exceed that limit. If other teams can do it, so can the Spurs.

TJastal
03-12-2012, 09:13 AM
You can't prevent injuries from occuring. Manu could rest the three or four games to end the regular season, go home, take a shower and slip on a bar of soap and miss the playoffs. If you want to keep players fresh without tiring them out, play them a fixed amount of minutes and don't exceed that limit. If other teams can do it, so can the Spurs.

I'd even go furthur and add my own analogy that the spurs are like an old engine in the middle of winter. Once you get it started and running, you want to keep it running till your done with it. The last thing you want to do is to keep turning it off and back on frivolously in order to save a few pennies of gas.

Now obviously you also don't want to strain that old engine by doing 95 on the highway for extended periods of time, either. But from the basketball perspective that's hardly been the case. If anything our older guys have been coddled and pampered by Pop far too much as it is.

Cry Havoc
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM

If you can't understand the basic cause-effect relationship between playing while being very tired and how that raises chances of injury significantly, then you have obviously, OBVIOUSLY, never played sports a day in your life and know absolutely nothing about physiology.

Why don't they play NFL games back to back? I mean, just because the players are exhausted shouldn't mean anything! Get back out there and hit each other! :lol

Cry Havoc
03-12-2012, 05:44 PM
If you want to keep players fresh without tiring them out, play them a fixed amount of minutes and don't exceed that limit.

So your solution is to potentially throw a game away that could be won by resting players, therefore making the ~30 minutes they played WORSE than worthless in the long run (as the 30 minutes that Duncan was wearing his body down actually hurt the team's playoff seeding chances by giving us -.5), and then perhaps losing the next game in the same way? Brilliant. Why aren't you coaching an NBA team?

Cry Havoc
03-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Do you know what "minimizing injury chances" means? Probably not. I mean, if that's the case, why not play all starters 48 minutes? After all, they could get sideswiped by a semi while driving home and have their careers be over! :lmao

Hoops Czar
03-13-2012, 01:59 AM
If you can't understand the basic cause-effect relationship between playing while being very tired and how that raises chances of injury significantly, then you have obviously, OBVIOUSLY, never played sports a day in your life and know absolutely nothing about physiology.

Why don't they play NFL games back to back? I mean, just because the players are exhausted shouldn't mean anything! Get back out there and hit each other! :lol

Your thoughts must have been running a mile a minute if you needed to reply to the same post three times. You can tell me CH, is that really a picture of you in your avatar?

Cause-affect relationship? Sure, driving while tired can cause a head on collision ; tired in a dark stairwell can cause a fall down a flight of stairs. All players in the league feel fatigue, not just the ones on the spur's roster. Rest is what the offseason and preseason are for. Wny don't you show me the cause-affect relationship between advancing in the playoffs and rest.

2009 Boston - champions
2010 Boston - NBA finals
2011 Dallas - Champions

The Spurs haven't advanced out of the 2nd round while two OLDER teams won championships. How can that be? Ooh, right, the injuries.

Conclusion: The ideological thought behind resting one's players hasn't proven to be anymore successful than those teams that chose to play them.

I read your football reference and then I looked at your avatar, and I can't help but laugh. This is a joke right? In football, your body takes such a physical beating each week, that most players can't even move come Monday into Tuesday. But , I will add that 90% of all players in te NFL are playing injured, some injuries more severe than others. With all that soft dense tissue in your head, can you think of a reason why the Pro Bowl is played at season's end rather than midpoint?

Btw, if you think that resting players in February is going to somehow impact a player's performance in the playoffs, you're sadly mistaken.