PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol "The Lakers are looking for someone younger than me"

Spur_Fanatic
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
The trade deadline will be over by March 15th in the NBA and Pau Gasol, contantly rumoured to be part of one of those operations, meets the situation with a calm demeanor and experience.

The spaniard knows that the Lakers would certaintly make a move if they get what they want: "They looking for a young star, younger than me, that can give them more results during more years", he admitted to EFE during an interview.

Gasol was about to abandon the californian team in december, but the NBA stopped that trade that would have sent Chris Paul to the team, and the spaniard to the Houston Rockets in a three-team trade. Since then, the catalan has been faced with several rumours of his future possible destination, the last one right before the friday game against the Wolves, that indicated a deal was being made.

Q: Despite all that was said, you responded with a good performance and a decisive block.

A: I'm trying to do my job and give my best. I've been doing it the whole season, and I'll keep doing so. Man, the situation has not helped, it has not been positive, as it affects me, distracts me or makes me think about it, but I have a great respect for what I do. I truly value it. And the effort is mine to do.

Q: How is it to live with the rumours? I understand you take a nap before every game?

A: It was not going to affect my daily routine, nor my better better spirits, or anything... As many things in life, this is something beyond my control. So, why worry more than I have to? It is something important, but to me it's next to nothing. That I could end up somewhere is not that relevant for me.

Q: Did all the talk and rumours affected you in some way that you noticed that you head was not where it should be?

A: Yes, because it's not nice. You are in a team, a company o enterpise, in which you know they looking for a person, or many, that will come and replace you. They thinking about it, and you don't have that ideal job security that you would like to have. I mean a home change, of customs, of enviroment... many things. That uncertainty is normal that disturbs you.

Q: From there than Kobe Bryant, from Phoenix, was asking the franchise to clarify the situation. At least it helped for Mitch Kupchak to talk with you.

A: He told how me how things we going, and helped to clarify some circustances. It helped because I like to hear directly from the team, have that line of communication, though I know it's difficult to have thet constant contact, because if they have to make a move, it's nice to have attachments. This is a business in that where owners rule, and if they want to do something, they'll do it. The GM is simply following roders. He may have his own opinion, but if the owners wants something, though dunno 100% sure thats the case here, they'll do it. It's what it is.

Q: That lack of communication seems to be a golden rule in the club. I say this because of the Mike Brown sign that was not even consulted with Kobe Bryant. Do you miss that?

A: Sometimes the players find out about this stuff through the press. I've had a level of feedback in the paast, and that's more than many others ever had, but I understand that my contribution has been high enough to get that treatment.

Q: Have they told you what they looking for?

A: They looking for a younger star, younger than me, that can give them more production in more years. I have less years of high production left, so if they can get a high caliber 25 year old... is normal they consider it. It's not that shocking.

Q: You'd understand a move now that the team is doing better?

A: I don't know... (laughs). The team, I guess, that in that case would take a choice not just for the present, but for the future. The present season would then be left on a lower priority, and they be more interested on the years to come, and have a important foundation for the middle-long run.

Q: You were all peaking against Miami, and then you lost two easy games to Detroit and Washington. How can you explain it?

A: Lack of focus, consistency, regularity... We went out strong, we got a lead, we saw it easy... but they kept playing, you give them a chance to get back in the game, the crowd keeps it up, and then you find yourself in a problem. All this while knowing that had you kept the level you'd have ended with a confortable victory.

Q: You mantain that with this team you can aspire for a title. Now, do you feel fustrated that you don't get as many balls in the rim zone as in years past?

A: In a moment, yes, because I'm a decisive player near the hoop, not only because of my shooting, but also to provide game. It's what I've always done, same here without being the first attack option. But our coaches give far mote importance to defense and, no matter what, the offense it's played with the talent we currently have. What matters is defense, and try to keep opposing teams below 90 points.

Q: It's difficult to keep tha balnce in offense. Sometimes you can see a clear intention to play for the bigs, but in the last quarter...

A: It disspears. The coaches do not make a play to the inside, normally, sometimes they do in certain moments, but I'd like it to be more often. Not just in critical moments, but all along the game, because we have high quality players and we can attack in different ways to create advantages.

Q: It's Phil Jackson's system much missed?

A: I don't think of the past. We have to work with what we have and try to improve; sometimes we do it, and we can see a lot more movement, more flidity, more points... We are dead last in the league on three point percentage. That says a lot, but it's what we have right now.

Q: Your bench if also the lowest scoring one...

A: We have several players oof the starting five that play a lot, more than 35 minutes, so that reduces the chances for the bench guys. Our game is based in three players, more in one than the other two, but we keep trying... Emphasis in on defense.

Q: Did the game system maybe influenced that you were not selected for the All Star Game?

A: Well, my options have been different, maybe reduced. Andrew Bynum's good play too. It's a weapn to consider, as I can more in the outside and dsitribute the game. That's what we doing...

Q: You play against Boston tonight. Goood memories of that 2010 Finals.

A: It's going to be a special and exciting game. People live it on a intense way. We hope to win it.

Q: You think you'll ever again taste that feeling of winning a title?

A: I'd like to. I don't know. I'll try for every mean to ever have a chance to win a title. I hope it's here, but if it has to be somewhere else, so be it.

Q: You think that what happened in Dallas, when the team got swept in last years playoffs, and you were critized, had something to do with all that came later regarding you situation?

A: Could be, could have helped, but I don't think that's the only thing. We returned there and I played a good game, with confidence, leaving the past behind, and on the present.

Q: When you heard about the cancelled trade for Chris Paul, and after months of rumours, have you considered what you may have done wrong?

A: No, I don't look back. I'm positive. I analize the situation and I realize that's it's not personal. This will be over in a few days, and we'll talk about some other stuff. This all certaintly pissed me off till certain point, but I under stand the position of the team, mine, and that things have changed thanks to the new CBA. Money conditions the teams, specially the ones over the cap. Lamar Odom's departure was all because of the money, to get rid of his salary. Looking that you have an idea of how things work here.

Q: You think your situation will backtrack?

A: I don't know. I've moved already. A book is long, and I don't have to be stucked on a single page. There was a death, well I just carry on reading. There'll be better pages ahead. To me it's all about phases and moments that you learn from. To win another title with the Lakers woulc help, but there is no guarantee.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
That's Hollywood, n!gga.

Spur_Fanatic
03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
From here (http://www.marca.com/2012/03/11/baloncesto/nba/noticias/1331455732.html).

thispego
03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Let me know when it's been translated to english

Spur_Fanatic
03-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Let me know when it's been translated to english

Learn some german.

Giuseppe
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
The old man, his children and Bryant (perhaps Kupchak, perhaps not) have not forgiven Pau for fleeing the side door last playoff session.

They'd gave him flyer for '08.

DMC
03-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Sounds like Phil coached him and fucked up his mind with that zen bullshit. Either way, the Spurs would trade a good young DeJuan Blair for him, maybe throw in Gary Neal.

Giuseppe
03-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Sounds like Phil coached him and fucked up his mind with that zen bullshit. Either way, the Spurs would trade a good young DeJuan Blair for him, maybe throw in Gary Neal.

I started with Parker's inclusion.

I ain't budgin.

DMC
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I started with Parker's inclusion.

I ain't budgin.
Wouldn't trade Pau for Parker straight up.

Giuseppe
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Wouldn't trade Pau for Parker straight up.

Somebody will, and live to regret it.

DMC
03-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Dump this faggot already.
Agree, dump the Paki fag.

Landon Donofag
03-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Water is wet

Jodelo
03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
From here (http://www.marca.com/2012/03/11/baloncesto/nba/noticias/1331455732.html).

Learn some german.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

crc21209
03-12-2012, 10:08 AM
"Thanks for carrying Kobe to 2 titles Pau, now get the fuck out...."

Giuseppe
03-12-2012, 10:09 AM
^Though he couldn't win a single playoff game until Kobe took him.

crc21209
03-12-2012, 10:10 AM
^Though he couldn't win a single playoff game until Kobe took him.

Classic case of "You scratch my back, I'll carry you on my back" tbh....

Leetonidas
03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I hope the Lakers trade Gasol so they can see how important he was to their success :lmao

Giuseppe
03-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Classic case of "You scratch my back, I'll carry you on my back" tbh....

....simpler than that:::"I can't scratch after the first 82. Save me."

Giuseppe
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I hope the Lakers trade Gasol so they can see how important he was to their success :lmao

Neal & Parker for him?

Ari Gold
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Water is wet

fuck you

pass1st
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
"Thanks for picking up the slack when Kobe got cold and helped anchor Lakers to 2 titles Pau, now get the fuck out...."

fify

NewcastleKEG
03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
LOL

Fk the Fakers show. ''I want I want I want''

They should have never gotten Gasol in the first place. You'd be getting your ass handed to you in the first round still