PDA

View Full Version : TJ Ford Retiring

ace3g
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN

After latest neck injury, TJ Ford says he is retiring. More to come.

Marc J. Spears ‏ @SpearsNBAYahoo

Injury plagued Spurs guard TJ Ford is taking an indefinite leave of absence the rest of the season and is considering retirement.

hater
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
the Spurs season in a nutshell

tmtcsc
03-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Just a stinger. Right.......:rolleyes

Kudos to folks in here knowing that Stingers have seriously sidelined this dude in the past. This time for good. Can't blame him, its just a shame.

I wonder who could be had at this late hour in a trade.

CubanMustGo
03-12-2012, 10:50 AM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/3/12/2864707/t-j-ford-to-retire

"While this was a tough decision to make, it is what is best for me and my family at this time," said Ford. "I have been blessed to play alongside wonderful teammates for great coaches and organizations from high school, to college, to the NBA. Regardless of what the future holds, I will carry the experiences, the friendships and the memories with me forever. The support I've received from family, friends and the fans has been humbling and I am looking forward to evaluating my professional options following this season."

DesignatedT
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Well I guess that's one way to settle the backup PG situation.

FromWayDowntown
03-12-2012, 10:52 AM
It's really too bad. TJ seemed happy to be in San Antonio. As someone who was forced to stop playing a sport because of neck/spinal problems, I think the decision is the right one. I wish for his sake that this could have been avoided, but I'm glad that he got to make his decision to walk away before something really bad happened.

FromWayDowntown
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Well I guess that's one way to settle the backup PG situation.

Certainly explains why the Spurs may be prioritizing a back-up PG before the deadline.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Pretty depressing. He was doing so well for the Spurs. Wish him the best of luck to what he pursues now.

CubanMustGo
03-12-2012, 10:55 AM
From the story I linked, it appears he's only contemplating retirement ... note the "evaluating my professional options" quote. But necks/spines aren't things you want to dick around with once they get injured.

Texas_Ranger
03-12-2012, 10:56 AM
well that sucks... :(

Brazil
03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
well that sucks... :(

lurker23
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Very sad. I guess the thin silver lining is that he finally got to play on a good team and got a farewell tour in Texas before he retired. Still, he will be missed by Longhorn and Spurs fans alike. A promising career cut short- but happy that he's making the right decision for the rest of his life.

TDomination
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Wow, I really liked what I saw from him the few weeks before his first injury.

This is a bummer:(

mercos
03-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Sucks for the Spurs but I think he is making the right move. He has had so many issues with his back and neck in the past, no point in risking his quality of life. He is still a young man. He can get a good paying job working with ESPN, NBA TV, or commentating for someone.

The Spurs will be ok IF Manu can stay healthy. Keep him coming off the bench and minimize the time without him or Parker on the floor as much as possible. Gary Neal has shown some promise at times running the point. We can keep Corey Joseph as an emergency backup in case of injury. I would not blow a first round draft pick on another backup point guard as rumors have suggested.

Budkin
03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Ugh... that really blows... for him and for the Spurs.

bklynspursfan
03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Wish Ford all the best. He was looking solid before his first injury. PLEASE let there be another option besides CJ.

Dex
03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Damn, that's a shame, but probably the right decision to make. After his early play in the season, was really starting to look forward to seeing what this guy could do as a Spur, but needs to focus on the more important things in life and be healthy for himself and his family.

anonoftheinternets
03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
From the story I linked, it appears he's only contemplating retirement ... note the "evaluating my professional options" quote. But necks/spines aren't things you want to dick around with once they get injured.

I think by "evaluating my professional options", he means options for an alternative profession (espn maybe).

Hooks
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Fuck Baron Davis.

I hope the Spurs get the Clips in the playoffs and rip them a new asshole.

lmbebo
03-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Sucks. Right decision though. Big scare for him and family.

Where does the team go now? Cory J as back up is scary.

yavozerb
03-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Its definatly the right move for Ford to retire with that significant of injury. Not a major blow for the spurs, but with TP starting to show som wear and tear, this one will hurt a little going forward...

FvckMavs
03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Fuck Baron Davis.

He is in NYK.

yavozerb
03-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Anybody seen antonio daniels play recently?

Dex
03-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Sucks. Right decision though. Big scare for him and family.

Where does the team go now? Cory J as back up is scary.

Spurs will likely let Neal and Manu handle the backup point duties. Joseph is definitely not ready for prime time. But the best case scenario would be able to pickup another vet backup PG who can just help run the offense and play passable defense.

What really sucks is with the lack of player movement so far this season and offseason, the Spurs now have two holes to fill, and it's hard to say if they'll really be able to do anything about them.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Very very sad news indeed. I really liked his game and thought he was a great pickup for the Spurs.

All the best to you, TJ :tu

TJastal
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm guessing he'll probably resurface next year on somebody's roster once his neck feels all better and he's contemplating trying to find a job.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Quitter.

ace3g
03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN

Ford: "After last Wednesday, I felt being on the floor and being in that position one too many times. I feel like that was enough for me ..

... "That was the last basketball game you’ll see me play.”

More Ford: "I played the last five years with doctor’s orders not to play. I still defeated the odds with this condition."

More: "It’s tough because I know I can still play. If I had to play today, I could play. The tests came back negative ..."

... "I just felt mentally and physically, my body has taken enough."

More TJ: “I avoided doctors orders for years, and dodged a lot of bullets. I thought I needed to get out while I still had a chance."

Sense
03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Fuck Baron Davis.

:lol

loveforthegame
03-12-2012, 11:18 AM
As a basketball fan the news sucks. He was playing well for the Spurs and filled the need of a backup pg we'd been looking for. A shame to see his career cut short like this. Wish him nothing but the best in the future.

Tough decision I'm sure but it's the right one. His health and family are more important.

sa_butta
03-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Any chance we make a trade within the next 3 days??

eric365
I'm guessing he'll probably resurface next year on somebody's roster once his neck feels all better and he's contemplating trying to find a job.

He earned $42,387,987 during his NBA career. If he was smart he'll be OK

Paranoid Pop
As a basketball fan the news sucks. He was playing well for the Spurs and filled the need of a backup pg we'd been looking for. A shame to see his career cut short like this. Wish him nothing but the best in the future.

Tough decision I'm sure but it's the right one. His health and family are more important.

:tu

He seems like a great guy, wish him all the best.

baseline bum
Glad to see TJ retired, as that was scary as hell seeing him on the floor after that hit. People need to quit bitching at Davis too; in the NBA you take elbows and forearms.

timtonymanu
03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
That sucks.

Makes me wish we had him earlier in his career. He was the best backup point guard this team has had in a while. It sucks but good for him to make that decision.

With that, I really hope getting a backup point isnt the FO's #1 priority. I still don't understand why they gave Joseph a charity spot.

timtonymanu
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
True. If anything, blame Splitter's foot for stepping on his neck. I think that made it worse. At least Baron checked on him.

DBMethos
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Best of luck TJ.

DesignatedT
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
At least he's being smart about it. Good luck TJ

SenorSpur
03-12-2012, 11:30 AM
With Ford's lengthy injury history and his fragile physical frame, this news isn't surprising at all. What struck me about that Baron Davis play, in which he deliberately shoved Ford in the back, is that you see that sort of play frequently on an NBA court. Except in Ford's case, the blow and the subsequent fall were really severe and pronounced. The entire incident seemingly affected Ford in a way that is sort of uncommon for a run-of-the-mill NBA player. That started me thinking that after terrible spinal injury that he sustained several years ago, there's just no telling how much more vulnerable Ford's body now is to contact. One would have to believe that's what Ford is thinking too.

If he is indeed retiring, and I certainly believe that he should, I wish him the best and hope that he finds a post-basketball occupation that will suit him and his family.

Perhaps he can mentor Cory Joseph.

sasffl
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Life is bigger than basketball

dbestpro
03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Spurs will call up Joseph to fill blow out games or cover when Pop wants to tank. Don't look for them to go get some real help. It's not the Spurs way.

dude1394
03-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear that. Good luck little fella.

Ice009
03-12-2012, 11:38 AM
True. If anything, blame Splitter's foot for stepping on his neck. I think that made it worse. At least Baron checked on him.

You know how I was mad at when TJ went down most of all? It wasn't actually Baron Davis. RJ. It was that fucking pussy who decides for once to grab a rebound aggressively and takes out Tiago, who in turn was the one that kicked TJ in the neck. I really think it was the kick to the neck that may have caused the stinger.

I really liked watching TJ play though. He looked like he wanted to be here and was busting his ass.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Best of luck to TJ in his future pursuits and endeavors.

As much as my homerness was going crazy with his signing, I think he made the right choice.

Sucks to say goodbye to one of me favorite players ever, but im glad he is physically okay.

Goodbye to a horn legend.

bklynspursfan
03-12-2012, 11:40 AM
You know how I was mad at when TJ went down most of all? It wasn't actually Baron Davis. RJ. It was that fucking pussy who decides for once to grab a rebound aggressively and takes out Tiago, who in turn was the one that kicked TJ in the neck. I really think it was the kick to the neck that may have caused the stinger.

I dont think it was him kicking his neck that did anything. When he got hit by Baron his neck had that whiplash motion going on. I think it's Baron's fault for sure.

silverblackfan
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Bummer news for the Spurs, but sounds like the right decision for TJ. Its a shame that we finally got a good back up pg, and then lose him to retirement. Still better than seeing him seriously injured during a Spurs game.

cantthinkofanything
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
What are the salary considerations? Do Spurs instantly have TJ's money available to spend on a backup?

Ice009
03-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I dont think it was him kicking his neck that did anything. When he got hit by Baron his neck had that whiplash motion going on. I think it's Baron's fault for sure.

I'll have to watch it again. I've only seen it during that game live and haven't watched it since. My initial reaction was the kick may have played a big part in it, but I may be wrong and you could be right. I'll have to see the footage again.

will_spurs
03-12-2012, 11:44 AM
If he is indeed retiring

@JMcDonald_SAEN: [TJ FORD, about the game during which he got injured] "That was the last basketball game you’ll see me play.”

bklynspursfan
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I'll have to watch it again. I've only seen it during that game live and haven't watched it since. My initial reaction was the kick may have played a big part in it, but I may be wrong and you could be right. I'll have to see the footage again.

Yea I'm trying to see where we can get the footage. I am pretty sure it was Baron's hit. If anyone has the footage please post

Hooks
03-12-2012, 11:47 AM
He is in NYK.

Oh yeah forgot, got them mixed up because the Spurs played them both recently. NM, being on the Knicks is punishment enough.

bresilhac
03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Fuck Baron Davis.

Exactly. That fucking Davis. I hope he rips an acl this week.

Magua
03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
No playoff success in his 8+ years. Tis a shame to see him retire a loser.

Magua
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM

?

It's TJ Ford you're talking about, not TP...get over yourself.

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
tough news for us spurs fan, but gotta respect his decision and wish him the best.

Trill Clinton
03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
wish him the best.

bresilhac
03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
?

It's TJ Ford you're talking about, not TP...get over yourself.

I appreciate the concern but I am in fact over myself. And if you'll recall it was Davis' precipitous shove to the back that caused TJ Ford to make this huge decision. If not for that one dirty, gutless move by Davis last week would Ford be talking about retiring? I think not.

Spursfan092120
In case you needed more evidence

TJ Ford ‏ @tj_ford
It's official " I Retire from the NBA " as of today

SenorSpur
Damn shame because he was perhaps the best backup PG the Spurs have had in some time. However, there's no question that he's making the right decision for himself and his family.

Magua
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I appreciate the concern but I am in fact over myself. And if you'll recall it was Davis' precipitous shove to the back that caused TJ Ford to make this huge decision. If not for that one dirty, gutless move by Davis last week would Ford be talking about retiring? I think not.

Yes, it was all B-Diddy's fault that Ford is retiring!:cry:cry:cry Nevermind that he's had existing problems his whole career, let's just blame it on one "shove."

You're quite dumb. If I had to guess you're probably a Redskins fan too.

mountainballer
03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
good luck TJ. for sure the right decision.

btw. his retiring isn't "official" I guess.
means his contract could be included in a trade package?

Spursfanfromafar
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I had an inkling after reading his tweet first up on the ESPN Nba Players' twitter widget. Much too risky to keep playing after having such a risky deformity/deficiency in his spine. HOpefully he finds a decent career alternative pretty soon.

Bruno
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Sad news but it is the right choice. Playing basketball isn't worth ending in a wheelchair or in a bed for the rest of his life. Having earned enough money for the rest of his life and being a dad, have certainly helped him to make this choice. Thanks to him for the few games he played as a Spur, he was good. Best of luck for his future life.

Spurs now need to add a PG to their roster. It could be a through a little trade or through free agency. Spurs could also use TJ Ford contract in a trade package or in a salary dump move to save some luxury tax money.

Dex
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Give it a rest. Davis didn't even hit TJ that hard. That was one of the scary things about the injury, tbh.

And at least he immediately checked on him afterwards, even as his team was running back on the fast break.

You want to blame anything, blame the team's inability to grab an offensive rebound.

Danny.Zhu
03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
season is over.

ace3g
03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Here is the video from today's practice:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/120313_tj_ford_season_over

Some highlights:

* Said his best years were with Toronto

* Tough years with the Pacers but helped him grow mentally as player/person going through that situation

* Only positive words for the Spurs organization for giving him an opportunity after the lockout and will stay with the team working in the background with RC (mentioned quite a few times) to see if a GM or similar position is something he would be interested in down the road.

timvp
03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
:depressed

Man, he had such a great attitude this season. I obviously wasn't the world's biggest TJ Ford fan coming into the season but I admit to being totally wrong about any character shortcoming. Class act and played as hard as he possibly could in his short time with the team. Hopefully the Spurs can get him a ring.

At the end of the day, it was the right decision. If TJ Ford kept pushing his luck, eventually he'd get knocked down and wouldn't be able to get up.

EVAY
03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Best wishes to Ford.

As for the Spurs, I don't think there is enough time left in the season to bring in a point guard who would be effective in the Spur's offense this year. Might as well wait and get one in the offseason and get him up to speed over the summer.

This season? Only option seems to me that Neal starts opposite Tony at shooting guard and Manu is the backup point guard for the rest of this season, anchoring the second squad. He is already the team's best passer, knows the Spurs offensive plays as well as Tony, and works extremely well with Splitter. I'm sure he doesn't really want to be a backup point guard, but we need one and he fits the bill better than Neal or Joseph (well, let's face it, my cocker spaniel fits the bill better than Joseph). And it is a waste of Neal's talent to keep making him try to handle the ball rather than just catch and shoot it.

ElNono
03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Great choice, and wish the best to TJ.

He can now look forward to a life with friends and family without impediments. Nothing sad or depressing about that, IMO.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm glad he made the right decision for his health.

My guess is that the Spurs keep him with the team in some capacity this year (some kind of made up assistant coaching job). He laid it out on the court for them and bought into the Spurs attitude from day one -- which surprised many.

ace3g
03-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm glad he made the right decision for his health.

My guess is that the Spurs keep him with the team in some capacity this year (some kind of made up assistant coaching job). He laid it out on the court for them and bought into the Spurs attitude from day one -- which surprised many.

From the video I posted, sounds like that is what the Spurs are going to do for him.

Beanzamillion21
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Give it a rest. Davis didn't even hit TJ that hard. That was one of the scary things about the injury, tbh.

And at least he immediately checked on him afterwards, even as his team was running back on the fast break.

You want to blame anything, blame the team's inability to grab an offensive rebound.

Agreed 100%

Libri
03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Surely, when the Spurs signed signed Ford, they must have considered the possibility of losing their backup PG if he got injured, right? Ford hasn't played a full season in his career.

timvp
03-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Ford said he looked “briefly” at film of the play that essentially ended his career, when Davis elbowed him in the back during a box-out situation. He does not consider the play dirty.

“If it’s anybody else, it’s just a regular play,” Ford said. “But because of me and my condition, a simple elbow to the back has a different outcome.”

For anyone trying to blame Baron Davis.

gameFACE
03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Glad he's decided not to risk another injury and stay healthy for his family. He was the best backup PG the Spurs have had in years. Bittersweet that he gets to stick around behind the scenes.

SsKSpurs21
03-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Baron Davis was still standing around (even while his team was back on the bench) when will sevening was checking up on TJ Ford. he didnt do it intentionally and seemed very concerned.

Thank you for your time TJ! hopefully you can be a great asset in helping develop Cory Joseph and other PGs that sign with the Spurs.

Beanzamillion21
03-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Baron Davis was still standing around (even while his team was back on the bench) when will sevening was checking up on TJ Ford. he didnt do it intentionally and seemed very concerned.

Thank you for your time TJ! hopefully you can be a great asset in helping develop Cory Joseph and other PGs that sign with the Spurs.

Lord knows Cory Joseph needs some developmental help.

5in10
03-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Is Aaron brooks a restricted FA?

benefactor
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Sucks...but definitely the right call. Best of luck to a class guy in whatever he chooses to pursue going forward.

My biggest worry in all of this is that the Spurs will now look harder at trying to acquire a backup point and ignore the problems on the front line...which are a much more pressing need from a playoffs standpoint.

Libri
03-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Sucks...but definitely the right call. Best of luck to a class guy in whatever he chooses to pursue going forward.

My biggest worry in all of this is that the Spurs will now look harder at trying to acquire a backup point and ignore the problems on the front line...which are a much more pressing need from a playoffs standpoint.

Well, if the Spurs were ok in signing an injury prone back PG, it might be that they weren't too concerned about that position, knowing that they have Neal and Manu. I'm hoping the rumors of the first round pick trade for a backup PG aren't true. I'd prefer they pursue someone to bolster the frontline.

phxspurfan
03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah, good choice for TJ. He was too fragile to play in today's NBA. Better to keep your quality of life than risk something really bad. I'm sure a lot of people have made similar choices with sports and injuries, and went on to live great lives after so it's no big deal. The Spurs will survive, too. Hopefully a trade will go down that's good for this situation though, as we all know Neal is really a SG and CJ is not ready.

Mel_13
03-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Obviously the right choice. Good luck to TJ with making a second career related to basketball.

timvp
03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
My first memory of TJ Ford was the pass he made at the 1:05 mark of this video. One of the most entertaining passes I've seen, tbh.

_Y8XRG4SmpQ

In his interview, he mentioned this dunk on Chris Kaman as one of his career highlights.

zuTK0mGcbQ0

urunobili
03-12-2012, 01:31 PM
There goes our ideal backup PG...

jimo2305
03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
we understand TJ.. i think you're making the right choice here..
best of luck with your future endeavors..

SenorSpur
03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Would not be surprised if he became a mainstay with the Spurs organization, going forward. The Spurs have been and continue to absolutely the best in the NBA at identifying, mentoring and creating opportunities to incorporate qualified ex-players into their organization, in some capacity.

timvp
03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
As for the Spurs, Neal has done solid work as the backup point guard. His play isn't pretty but the production has been really good. Playing Ginobili next to Neal should negate any issues Neal has with ballhandling and playmaking.

Ginobili himself isn't an option as the team's main backup point guard. He couldn't handle those duties in his prime and he especially can't handle it now in a condensed season. He just doesn't have the ballhandling and stamina to pull it off on a full-time basis.

Joseph should remain in the D-League the rest of the season. He's not an NBA quality player at this point. In fact, he's not close to an NBA quality player.

The Spurs need to go out and get a solid third point guard. The player should fill two roles: 1. Be an emergency ballhandler if Neal faces a matchup he simply can't handle (like Beno versus Lindsey Hunter back in '05) 2. Can slide into a backup point guard role if Parker or Neal isn't playing.

Preferably, that player would have enough experience to be able to step in and produce without much of a learning curve.

Antonio Daniels makes sense since he knows the system, although he's so washed up at this point it's questionable if he's worth a roster spot. Same could probably be said for Anthony Carter, if he's waived. Mike James was productive in his minutes for the Bulls this season before getting waived. What is Mike Wilks up to these days?

If the Spurs want to go younger, Ben Uzoh makes a lot of sense. Local kid who plays defense and is athletic enough to have a relatively high ceiling.

As far as trade, I wouldn't recommend one unless the asking price is a second rounder or a straight salary dump.

Fireball
03-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I am sorry ... I was furious in another thread that was discussing trades for (point) guards because we need a big ... I still think we can survive with Parker, Neal and Manu ... but we will see if the FO thinks the same

Mal
03-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Kind of shocker. Spurs need back up PG asap

~Sweetmelody~
03-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Wow, wasn’t expecting this.:wow

Best of luck to him and like others have stated his health is way more important.

TE
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Wow. Best of luck to TJ. I'm glad I got to see him play and shine with my favorite team. Always liked his game.

Now as for the Spurs, goddamn, can you catch a fucking break with the injuries? Shit.

Duncan2177
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
This sucks :bang

tmtcsc
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
He is in NYK.

:lol Shit, I forgot too.

Spursfan092120
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Just saw on Twitter that a Jamal Crawford trade could be coming...after he shredded our D recently, do you think we could have something to do with it?

Alex Kennedy ‏ @AlexKennedyNBA
League source believes a Jamal Crawford trade is coming. Nothing is imminent, but that may end up being the first domino to fall.

Spurs Brazil
03-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Sad but the right decision

Best of luck TJ!

Spurs Brazil
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I'd like to see the Spurs sign AD or M.James

Ditty
03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Just saw on Twitter that a Jamal Crawford trade could be coming...after he shredded our D recently, do you think we could have something to do with it?

Alex Kennedy ‏ @AlexKennedyNBA
League source believes a Jamal Crawford trade is coming. Nothing is imminent, but that may end up being the first domino to fall.

I don't care how much he shitted on us last game, his shot selection sometimes is horrible no matter how much points he puts up. It's already bad enough sometimes when Neal goes into chuck mode imagine both of them :lol.

Spursfan092120
03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't care how much he shitted on us last game, his shot selection sometimes is horrible no matter how much points he puts up. It's already bad enough sometimes when Neal goes into chuck mode imagine both of them :lol.

yeah..probably so..just happened to notice it.

ElNono
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
As for the Spurs, Neal has done solid work as the backup point guard. His play isn't pretty but the production has been really good. Playing Ginobili next to Neal should negate any issues Neal has with ballhandling and playmaking.

Ginobili himself isn't an option as the team's main backup point guard. He couldn't handle those duties in his prime and he especially can't handle it now in a condensed season. He just doesn't have the ballhandling and stamina to pull it off on a full-time basis.

Joseph should remain in the D-League the rest of the season. He's not an NBA quality player at this point. In fact, he's not close to an NBA quality player.

The Spurs need to go out and get a solid third point guard. The player should fill two roles: 1. Be an emergency ballhandler if Neal faces a matchup he simply can't handle (like Beno versus Lindsey Hunter back in '05) 2. Can slide into a backup point guard role if Parker or Neal isn't playing.

Preferably, that player would have enough experience to be able to step in and produce without much of a learning curve.

Antonio Daniels makes sense since he knows the system, although he's so washed up at this point it's questionable if he's worth a roster spot. Same could probably be said for Anthony Carter, if he's waived. Mike James was productive in his minutes for the Bulls this season before getting waived. What is Mike Wilks up to these days?

If the Spurs want to go younger, Ben Uzoh makes a lot of sense. Local kid who plays defense and is athletic enough to have a relatively high ceiling.

As far as trade, I wouldn't recommend one unless the asking price is a second rounder or a straight salary dump.

How about Squeaky Johnson? He was just waived by NOH a month ago. I thought he did a good job during the 2010 summer league.

Robz4000
03-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Well that sucks, but it is the right choice. I thank TJ for what he did here during his brief time as a Spur and wish the best to him and his family.

lurker23
03-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Baron Davis ‏ @Baron_Davis

Great phone convo wit @tj_ford. sad that he is retiring and feeling worse that I was involved in that play! love and respect bro. #tears

https://twitter.com/#!/Baron_Davis

Bruno
03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
I find interesting that Spurs release didn't talk about retirement. I guess they still want to be able to trade his contract at the trade deadline.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Reports say that Crawford will be heading to the Clippers for Foye and Bedsloe.

lurker23
03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Also on the Baron Davis front, FYI...

@tj_ford

just talk with big bro @Baron_Davis 45mins.. Always luv since college .. He's my guy just know that

https://twitter.com/#!/tj_ford/status/179294489494564865

timtonymanu
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Reports say that Crawford will be heading to the Clippers for Foye and Bedsloe.

I'm hearing it's for Gomes instead of Foye.

Spurtacus
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Best backup PG we've had in a while despite his limited playing time. I've been a fan of his since UT so its sad to see him go out like this. But he's doing what is best for him and his family. I hope he sticks with the Spurs organization or even the Toros.

angelbelow
03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Would not be surprised if he became a mainstay with the Spurs organization, going forward. The Spurs have been and continue to absolutely the best in the NBA at identifying, mentoring and creating opportunities to incorporate qualified ex-players into their organization, in some capacity.

Given that hes from texas and wanted to come here I wouldn't be surprised either. I hope he does stay around and offer some guidance, especially to Joseph.

We knew he was injury prone but got beat over the head with it. Best of luck to TJ Ford.. one of my favorites dating back to the Toronto days.

crc21209
03-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Damn. We finally get a decent backup PG and this happens. But, it's best for him and his family. What's Chris Quinn up to these days? :lol

spursdotcom
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
We pulled together some of the Twitter mentions about TJ's announcement if you'd like to read them - http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/120312_what_they_are_saying_tj_ford

:toast

03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
this is terrible news. pop would probably trust ford to back up parker in the playoffs and ford was doing a pretty good job before his injury.

ace3g
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Another thing, he had really good chemistry with Splitter off the bench.

TD 21
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM

You forgot Armon Johnson, who's probably at least as good a prospect as Joseph. Not that that's saying a whole lot, but the point is, he was considered a 1st round caliber talent and potential 2nd round steal just a season ago. I'm surprised the Trail Blazers released him and he hasn't been signed.

Trade wise, they may use Anderson to bring in a PG. Either of the Pargo's, Gaines, Bibby, Telfair, Price, Carter and Tinsley, are potential possibilities. Two veteran free agents you forgot are Arenas (I know, no chance in hell) and Boykins. Suffice it to say, I'm less than enamored with these names. I'd prefer they sign Johnson and call it a day.

Spursfan092120
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
We pulled together some of the Twitter mentions about TJ's announcement if you'd like to read them - http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/120312_what_they_are_saying_tj_ford

:toast

:toast Thanks

TD 21
03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
I forgot about Mills, who's actually the best immediate option available. True PG, excellent speed/quickness, decent shooter. The Trail Blazers have his rights. The Spurs could either offer sheet him or, if they think they'll match, trade Anderson for a protected 2nd, then send that to the Trail Blazers for his rights, so they can pretend they got something for him.

ploto
03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Ford: "After last Wednesday, I felt being on the floor and being in that position one too many times. I feel like that was enough for me ...

I can not even imagine how he feels. Just watching him lie there one too many times was really tough. Good luck to Terrance.:king

timvp
03-12-2012, 06:30 PM
You forgot Armon Johnson, who's probably at least as good a prospect as Joseph. Not that that's saying a whole lot, but the point is, he was considered a 1st round caliber talent and potential 2nd round steal just a season ago. I'm surprised the Trail Blazers released him and he hasn't been signed.

Trade wise, they may use Anderson to bring in a PG. Either of the Pargo's, Gaines, Bibby, Telfair, Price, Carter and Tinsley, are potential possibilities. Two veteran free agents you forgot are Arenas (I know, no chance in hell) and Boykins. Suffice it to say, I'm less than enamored with these names. I'd prefer they sign Johnson and call it a day.

Armon Johnson looked like a great defensive prospect the couple times I saw him play but he's so bad at running the show that the Blazers officially gave up on him being a point guard. For a team as point guard starved as the Blazers to give up on him being a point guard and move him to shooting guard says a lot. Add in Armon not having much experience and he's not really an option right now, IMO.

As far as the potential trade candidates, I'd nix them all other than Jannero Pargo and Sundiata Gaines. But for those two, I wouldn't give up anything of value. Jeremy Pargo looks horrible and his contract is too big. The others would only be possibilities if they are waived. Even then, none of them jump out more than the ones I mentioned earlier.

Arenas obviously won't happen but I've always been intrigued by Boykins. He has the ballhandling and playmaking the Spurs use. Unfortunately, he's a ballhog ... but even then, I wouldn't mind the Spurs signing him. Although the Spurs have passed over him so many times over the years that I don't really consider him a legit option,

timvp
03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I forgot about Mills, who's actually the best immediate option available. True PG, excellent speed/quickness, decent shooter. The Trail Blazers have his rights. The Spurs could either offer sheet him or, if they think they'll match, trade Anderson for a protected 2nd, then send that to the Trail Blazers for his rights, so they can pretend they got something for him.

Brett Brown should know him pretty well. That said, I doubt the Blazers will do the Spurs any favors.

bigdog
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
As much as most fans booed the decision to sign him this year, I was all for it. He's one of my favorite PG's, and I enjoyed the plays he made for the Spurs this year. I hope he stays with the organization and finds a good job. As selfish as I can be, wanting you to get back on the court, this was the best decision for you. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors, TJ. Hook em, and Go Spurs Go!

ploto
03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
* Said his best years were with Toronto

Loved watching Rasho and TJ play together...

ace3g
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
One thing that impressed me the most about TJ, was his jump shot: the quantity (picked his spots, stayed a pass first PG in the Spurs system) and accuracy (never really cringed when he took a jumpshot).

therealtruth
03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Another thing, he had really good chemistry with Splitter off the bench.

I think Pop is going to want to maximize Splitter/Manu combination. I think they could be a pretty good pick and roll combination. You combine Manu's great passing ability and Splitter's good picking and rolling abilities.

therealtruth
03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
The Spurs need a Jacque Vaugn type point guard. One that plays hard defense, doesn't need the ball, and gets guys shots. It would be good if he could hit a jumper if left wide open.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear that. All the best, TJ. :tu

SenorSpur
03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Arenas obviously won't happen but I've always been intrigued by Boykins. He has the ballhandling and playmaking the Spurs use. Unfortunately, he's a ballhog ... but even then, I wouldn't mind the Spurs signing him. Although the Spurs have passed over him so many times over the years that I don't really consider him a legit option,

Boykins isn't a ballhog. He's a ball Hippopotamus.

BackHome
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Just sign the best D.L player and call it a day.......or trade Anderson and CJ for somebody who can play PG.

TD 21
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Armon Johnson looked like a great defensive prospect the couple times I saw him play but he's so bad at running the show that the Blazers officially gave up on him being a point guard. For a team as point guard starved as the Blazers to give up on him being a point guard and move him to shooting guard says a lot. Add in Armon not having much experience and he's not really an option right now, IMO.

As far as the potential trade candidates, I'd nix them all other than Jannero Pargo and Sundiata Gaines. But for those two, I wouldn't give up anything of value. Jeremy Pargo looks horrible and his contract is too big. The others would only be possibilities if they are waived. Even then, none of them jump out more than the ones I mentioned earlier.

For the most part, I agree. But keep in mind, the Trail Blazers are pretty deep at PG, with Felton, Crawford and Smith. As far as him "not really being an option right now", I don't know about that. But if he's not, then how could Uzoh be? Uzoh is a lesser version/prospect.

I'm not a fan of any of the trade options, they're just attainable, low cost candidates. And I agree about Jeremy Pargo's having another guaranteed season -- in addition to looking terrible -- being a non starter.

You're bang on when it comes to Boykins. Along with Mills, he's most likely to pay immediate dividends, but he's just not the Spurs type.

I don't know about "not doing the Spurs any favors". One, Pritchard is long gone. Two, this isn't about that, it's about doing a guy who's well liked, a favor. Plus, it's not like he's going to come back to haunt them for years. Three, it would be bad business to hold a marginal player hostage. It's the little things like that that can hurt an organizations reputation around the league. Four, if they want to be petty, then just offer sheet him. If they want to match it, they'll have to release a player.

Russ
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I'll always remember TJ dragging Rick Barnes across the finish line to get to his one Final Four.

Even studs like LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Durant couldn't do it.

Now that's a winner. :toast

icango
03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
good luck TJ.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
He isn't committed to anything yet. No paperwork has been files, and he'd still on the roster. The Spurs are going to show him the insider view of coaching and front office work, but I doubt they do anything at all about his retirement until he has a while to think about it.

timvp
03-12-2012, 11:15 PM
^That's just a technicality in case they use his contract in a trade.

DMC
03-13-2012, 12:39 AM
He's a millionaire, why cripple yourself?

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Good luck to TJ.

Slippy
03-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Mills is not a true point guard. You summed up his traits well but he still looks to score first. Could see him adjusting to fit in spurs system with limited mins but he wouldn't be playing to his srengths.

Slippy
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Forgot to add , all the best to TJ. Liked what we saw from him. He was the ideal back-up PG this team needed and gave the spurs a third play-maker beahind Tony and Manu.

TD 21
03-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Mills is not a true point guard. You summed up his traits well but he still looks to score first. Could see him adjusting to fit in spurs system with limited mins but he wouldn't be playing to his srengths.

True. He's a natural PG though, unlike guys like Johnson and Uzoh, who are combo guards.

simba80328
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Baron Davis apologizes for the injury

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/baron-davis-apologizes-for-hit-that-forces-t-j-ford-to-retire-1.3598104?qr=1

NickiRasgo
05-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Sorry for bumping this up, just remembered TJ Ford when he retired earlier this season because of B. Davis.

4QoZ1_EWG4s

Damn! This is really scary. Looks like B. Davis to retire as well.

Cow Eye
05-07-2012, 12:23 AM
That sucks. Always bad to see a potentially career ending injury.

freetiago
05-07-2012, 12:46 AM
ya and i was happy when it happened
that lazy fat cancer baron davis deserved to have his career ended
i loved how he pretended to care about TJ when he pushed him
then proceeded to do the same push that ended TJs career to 2 other spurs during the course of the game

you think someone like him would care about the safety of other players considering the injuries hes had throughout the course of his career

timtonymanu
05-07-2012, 01:16 AM
then proceeded to do the same push that ended TJs career to 2 other spurs during the course of the game

you think someone like him would care about the safety of other players considering the injuries hes had throughout the course of his career

Not Baron's fault. If the Spurs could have frickin grabbed the rebound correctly, Ford could have avoided an injury. TJ and Baron are friends and a hit like that would have been no big deal for other NBA players. Ford was battling injuries his whole career.

You could also blame Tiago too for stepping on his neck.

urunobili
05-07-2012, 08:55 AM
That was my first thought after I saw it too

Interrohater
05-07-2012, 09:22 AM

You. Are a douchebag.

Spurtacular
12-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Fuck Baron Davis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLDhqZzf5QU

Thomas82
12-30-2017, 08:48 AM
I liked him. He was a nice backup PG for us while he lasted.

Chinook
12-30-2017, 04:01 PM
In a way, Davis did the Spurs a favor. TJ's injury forced them to trade him and sign Patty. Had he stayed healthy, the whole complexion of the team between 2012 and 2014 may have been very different.

koriwhat
12-30-2017, 05:51 PM
I liked him. He was a nice backup PG for us while he lasted.

indeed. sad to see the good guys having to retire due to injury and not age.

Spurtacular
12-30-2017, 07:17 PM
In a way, Davis did the Spurs a favor. TJ's injury forced them to trade him and sign Patty. Had he stayed healthy, the whole complexion of the team between 2012 and 2014 may have been very different.

Might Ford have been the difference in 2012 WCF / 2013 Finals when Mills was just a towel waver, though?

daslicer
12-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Interesting article that TJ Ford wrote several months ago about his career and what he's up to now. In a nutshell TJ states that every time he took a hard hit that it sent his body into temporary paralysis in which he could not move for a period of time. He also says the hit by Baron Davis was the straw that broke the camels back because he was too scared that the next time he got hit he would be permanently paralyzed.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/tj-ford-i-cant-feel-my-body/

tholdren
12-30-2017, 09:52 PM
Cue the busta rhymes

Thomas82
12-31-2017, 12:58 AM
Might Ford have been the difference in 2012 WCF / 2013 Finals when Mills was just a towel waver, though?

It's entirely possible.

Thomas82
12-31-2017, 12:59 AM
indeed. sad to see the good guys having to retire due to injury and not age.

Truth!!

Spurtacular
12-31-2017, 01:08 AM
It's entirely possible.

That's what I think. Coming into the league, he was a consummate PG. He was either gonna be a very serviceable starter or end up being a top-shelf back-up PG. And he was looking like he was coming back from his injuries up 'til that hit.

Thomas82
01-01-2018, 11:43 AM
That's what I think. Coming into the league, he was a consummate PG. He was either gonna be a very serviceable starter or end up being a top-shelf back-up PG. And he was looking like he was coming back from his injuries up 'til that hit.

I remember seeing debates on who was faster between him and Tony Parker.....then we eventually had both of them.