PDA

View Full Version : George W Bush officially 6th greatest American

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Yesterday on the prestigious show "The Greatest American" featuring a panel of Dennis Miller, Anne Coulter, and Anonymous Conservative Chode # 3, they voted the 50 greatest Americans.

Einstein was in the teens.

FDR was like number 12ish

Then they got to the down and dirty....at number 6....

George Dubya Bush.

The great thing is, since this guy is such a great leader right now, and is still alive, who knows how popular he will be once he's forced himself into a mandatory 3rd and 4th term!!!

We should all be so lucky as Americans to be alive during the presidency of the official 6th greatest american of all time!!!!!

mookie2001
06-20-2005, 12:41 PM
you dumbass i told you the third guy was the judge from american idol randy jackson
im not sure of his political views at all, but he aint hurtin for scrilla

number 6 is where i thought he'd be

i mean he was the president on sep 11th
and...well thats about it.

Medvedenko
06-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Man, that's way to high....who else was on the list....W....was there any other president higher than him....is there going to be a re-count....

mookie2001
06-20-2005, 01:22 PM
george washington and abe lincoln

Medvedenko
06-20-2005, 01:30 PM
So as an American...is this ok with you guys...I being north of the border see the animosity and hate for George W on a daily basis. The countries divided and the majority of the world is very cautious in dealing with the US which has compromised it's relationships. And now...he's ahead of Kennedy.....damn. What has he really accomplished....

mookie2001
06-20-2005, 01:32 PM
he was president on sep 11th
really i think thats all they based it on

Medvedenko
06-20-2005, 01:47 PM
What about the damn cuban missile crisis...and how it was avoided....I guess if it wasn't, maybe Kennedy would be in.

FromWayDowntown
06-20-2005, 02:01 PM
I find it really, really, really hard to believe that of all of the Americans who've ever lived, George W. Bush is the 6th greatest. I'm not even sure that he'd be in the Top 6 Presidents of all-time if you took a non-partisan poll.

And, of course, there are other great Americans besides Presidents.

Medvedenko
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Well said...who was voting for this mess....it couldn't just be Coulter or Miller....then they are just self congratulating themselves with this appointment....

cherylsteele
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Question........is this list online?

Where is
Thomas Jefferson
Ben Franklin
John Hancock
James Madison
Patrick Henry
Dwight Eisenhower
George S. Patton

Surely George W. shouldn't be that high.

Jekka
06-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Question........is this list online?

Where is
Thomas Jefferson
Ben Franklin
John Hancock
James Madison
Patrick Henry
Dwight Eisenhower
George S. Patton

Surely George W. shouldn't be that high.

Ben Franklin was awesome, Thomas Jefferson ranks up there (as a president he was pretty good ... and he was great at sleeping with his slaves) for having the foresight to convince Congress to make the Louisiana Purchase, etc., John Hancock had money - that's all he did. I'd like to see some alternative voices in the list if we could have a link.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 02:40 PM
i think george washington got number 1 if im not mistaken

elpimpo thought ben franklin would be up there but apparently he was lower

i'll try to find a link to the full list..

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 02:41 PM
here is the top 25 in no particular order (although we know GWB got number 6)

Muhammad Ali
Lance Armstrong
Neil Armstrong
George W. Bush
Bill Clinton
Walt Disney
Thomas Alva Edison
Albert Einstein
Henry Ford
Benjamin Franklin
Bill Gates
Billy Graham
Bob Hope
Thomas Jefferson
John F. Kennedy
Abraham Lincoln
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Rosa Parks
Elvis Presley
Ronald Reagan
Eleanor Roosevelt
Franklin D. Roosevelt
George Washington
Oprah Winfrey
Orville and Wilbur Wright

It will please the neocons to know that Oprah and Ali did NOT beat GWB

Bandit2981
06-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Ben Franklin is my favorite american...he was great in so many regards, not just politics

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 02:51 PM
I really just made this thread to see what Ressurected One thinks about it.

It'll be worth it when he replies with
"Just 6? I'd have made him number 2 at least"
or
"well he is going to be added to Mt. Rushmoore one day"
etc
etc

SWC Bonfire
06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
The list is voted on by television viewers, so if you were expecting anything that wasn't total crap you're in the wrong place.

It is automatically BS if 4 out of the top 5 ain't on Mt. Rushmore.

And it's nice to know that the Canadians are so concerned about politics in our country and our world relationships; possibly because their economy would be nothing without us?

Spurminator
06-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Where was Lee Greenwood ranked?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Wrong, only numbers 5-1 were voted by viewers. Which is why we think they made GWB number 6....cuz then people like me couldnt complain about it being biased voting.

Jekka
06-20-2005, 03:14 PM
The list is voted on by television viewers, so if you were expecting anything that wasn't total crap you're in the wrong place.

And it's nice to know that the Canadians are so concerned about politics in our country and our world relationships; possibly because their economy would be nothing without us?

Mt. Rushmore is bullshit. Anything of that nature that close to Wounded Knee is a mockery - it's like someone putting a sculpture of Waldemar Hoven outside the gates to Buchenwald.

Medvedenko
06-20-2005, 03:26 PM

I guess being Candian....your biggest trading partner can't make an assessment on the big bad USA...hence this is why people despise you. I love the US and for what it has represented throughout time and appreciate the freedom it holds high...what I see now is partisan bullshit spurred on by Fox News, CNN, and the religous right. Some would say nothing new...

desflood
06-20-2005, 03:39 PM
here is the top 25 in no particular order (although we know GWB got number 6)

Muhammad Ali
Lance Armstrong
Neil Armstrong
George W. Bush
Bill Clinton
Walt Disney
Thomas Alva Edison
Albert Einstein
Henry Ford
Benjamin Franklin
Bill Gates
Billy Graham
Bob Hope
Thomas Jefferson
John F. Kennedy
Abraham Lincoln
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Rosa Parks
Elvis Presley
Ronald Reagan
Eleanor Roosevelt
Franklin D. Roosevelt
George Washington
Oprah Winfrey
Orville and Wilbur Wright

It will please the neocons to know that Oprah and Ali did NOT beat GWB
Are they kidding? A few others on the list are questionable, but those three... you have to be kidding me.

Medvedenko
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I would have Oprah in the top 25....creating an empire and being one of the most influential women in the last 15-20 years. Now, I don't watch the show and hate that she thrusted Dr. phil on the collective, I will however give her props.

FromWayDowntown
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Including Oprah on that list isn't as bad as A&E having a list of the 100 Most Important People of the Millenium, and including Princess Diana while excluding Werner van Braun, among others.

Any list of Greatest Americans that doesn't include James Madison is repugnant to me. I mean, Madison's efforts with respect to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (only the 2 most important documents in American history) are among the most consequential in this nation's history. How that guy doesn't warrant a top 25 spot, if only just for that, is beyond me.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Are they kidding? A few others on the list are questionable, but those three... you have to be kidding me.

i got the list off of wikipedia, and from what i saw on the show last night it was pretty accurate.

I did see oprah announced, as well as GWB (the absurd topic of this thread)

The Ressurrected One
06-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Including Oprah on that list isn't as bad as A&E having a list of the 100 Most Important People of the Millenium, and including Princess Diana while excluding Werner van Braun, among others.

Any list of Greatest Americans that doesn't include James Madison is repugnant to me. I mean, Madison's efforts with respect to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (only the 2 most important documents in American history) are among the most consequential in this nation's history. How that guy doesn't warrant a top 25 spot, if only just for that, is beyond me.
Well, James Madison owned slaves. That absolutely negates any good he ever did.

And, as I predicted, George W. is headed for Mount Rushmore!

FromWayDowntown
06-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Well, James Madison owned slaves. That absolutely negates any good he ever did.

And George Bush snorted coke. Your point?

Madison's acts were legal (albeit unseemly) and, oh by the way, he's largely considered to be the architect of the documents that the GOP is trying so hard to ignore these days.

Bush's acts were illegal (and unseemly).

Spurminator
06-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I'd probably include Ted Turner before I included Oprah.

exstatic
06-20-2005, 06:30 PM
....was there any other president higher than him....is there going to be a re-count....

There will be no recount.

Sincerely,
William Rehnquist

Gerryatrics
06-20-2005, 07:42 PM
This is hilarious, people are desperate to spin something that has no impact on anything but could maybe, just maybe, show George W Bush in a positive light. The whole list was voted on by the American People (that actually pay attention to the Discovery Channel), not just the top five. The top 100 was tallied by nomination, then the top 25 was tallied again by nomination. People have been voting for the top 5 from the top 25 for two weeks. I voted a half a dozen times (you can vote up to three times per voting method (phone, internet, text messaging) per week) for Lincoln in the top 25 to get him to the top 5. Now you can vote for your favourite in the top 5, and I'll be voting for Lincoln again as #1.

jalbre6
06-20-2005, 07:56 PM
This is hilarious, people are desperate to spin something that has no impact on anything but could maybe, just maybe, show George W Bush in a positive light. The whole list was voted on by the American People (that actually pay attention to the Discovery Channel), not just the top five. The top 100 was tallied by nomination, then the top 25 was tallied again by nomination. People have been voting for the top 5 from the top 25 for two weeks. I voted a half a dozen times (you can vote up to three times per voting method (phone, internet, text messaging) per week) for Lincoln in the top 25 to get him to the top 5. Now you can vote for your favourite in the top 5, and I'll be voting for Lincoln again as #1.

So this is the "American Idol" of history?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 07:56 PM
So this is the "American Idol" of history?

Basically, yes.

Gerryatrics
06-20-2005, 08:23 PM
That's supposed to be the idea. I mean, they had Randy Jackson as one of the celebrity "judges", how transparent can you get? I don't know if it's really the best way to judge historical figures, but I do find it interesting to see who people think are the most important figures in American history.

Duff McCartney
06-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Billy Graham

"In 1994, H. R. Haldeman's posthumously published "The Haldeman Diaries" alleged that Billy Graham had conspired with President Richard Nixon to remove prominent Jewish members from the media, in the belief that they were responsible for the nation's problems. The assertions received little attention until 2002, partly because of Graham's denials, until the U. S. National Archives released a tape of one of the conversations Nixon had recorded (on 1 February 1972)."

People are freaking stupid.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 10:33 PM
But the Title of the show is "The Greatest American"

dcole50
06-21-2005, 05:48 AM

yep, this proves it. i'm sure his mug will be up there by late august.

spurster
06-21-2005, 08:01 AM
This list is bogus. Where is John Wayne or Charlton Heston?

Medvedenko
06-21-2005, 08:37 AM
I'd rather have Clint Eastwood than Heston.....but that's my 2 cents....

mookie2001
06-21-2005, 09:04 AM
they left off biggie smalls

SWC Bonfire
06-21-2005, 10:46 AM
I guess being Candian....your biggest trading partner can't make an assessment on the big bad USA...hence this is why people despise you. I love the US and for what it has represented throughout time and appreciate the freedom it holds high...what I see now is partisan bullshit spurred on by Fox News, CNN, and the religous right. Some would say nothing new...

Sorry about the asshole post, I was venting. Yes, Canada I believe is actually one of the biggest trading partners of Texas as well, mainly because of the oil that is sent to be refined here, and the computers sold to Canada.

I guess what I could have more eloquently said was that when I go to other countries (or talk to foreigners in the US), I don't go out of my way to tell them how they should run their country, or who their greatest citizen is (No! You're wrong, it's ____, you idiot.) Trust me, if I could go through France without making political comments, I can go anywhere. You assume that people don't have any political background pre-dating the inception of CNN & Fox News.

The US is a different political environment. Hell, the US is full of different political environments. Canada seems like it is a blend of European-style government and US Capitalism, two different areas of influence that strongly affect the government. The most influential outside sources on US political process in the last 150 years was the Australian (secret) Ballot and Keyesian economics (governmental deficit spending). And it took a worldwide financial meltdown to adopt deficit spending. We will listen, but ultimately it is the decision of the American voter to decide what America does. I guess the world hates us because we make decisions on how it will affect us and our country, not on what everyone else thinks will affect them. Do you vote in your country based on how your vote will affect US citizens? (And not just all the ones who became Americans since they moved here from Canada:lol)

SWC Bonfire
06-21-2005, 10:52 AM
For my $.02 (that's 2 cents US, not Canadian :lol), I'd go with TR, who wasn't at Wounded Knee but is on Mt. Rushmore.

mookie2001
06-21-2005, 11:58 AM
anyone who thinks bush should be on rushmore is an idiot

sorry tro
bush...is...a...dumbass...and...hasnt...done...shi t...as...prez...
except!
take away our rights
squander our surplus
made texans look like complete dumbfucks around the world
talked about god
talked more about god

i wont even mention the war

Cant_Be_Faded
06-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Listen to Jekka.....its like putting a statue of Pete Sampras in front of Buckingham Palace

Tim Henman, the dark prince will never bring wimbeldon back to britain.
Never.

And therefore GWB deserves to be given siphilis