PDA

View Full Version : Report: The Spurs, Jazz and Timberwolves are discussing a trade

ace3g
03-13-2012, 07:33 PM
The San Antonio Spurs, Utah Jazz and Minnesota Timberwolves are discussing a three-team deal, according to sources close to the situation. Nothing is imminent, but the teams will continue to talk over the next two days.

In the rumored deal, the Spurs would acquire Josh Howard, the Timberwolves would acquire C.J. Miles and Jamaal Tinsley and the Jazz would acquire Danny Green and Wayne Ellington. Other players and draft picks will likely be included in the finalized trade.

Utah holds a $10.9 traded-player exception and San Antonio holds a $854,400 traded-player exception as well.

Sources described the talks as ongoing, but stressed that no deal is imminent.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-trade-deadline-diary

Chris
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
1. lol hoopsworld
2. lol Josh Howard

ElNono
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Josh Howard???

timtonymanu
03-13-2012, 07:38 PM
CROFL if true, the front office must have really wanted him bad.

timvp
03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
WTF? Danny Green is far from untouchable but Josh Howard? He looks pretty damn done. He can't shoot from the outside, his scoring has fallen way off and he doesn't rebound as much anymore.

The only way this makes sense is if the Spurs are getting rid of Richard Jefferson in another trade and want veteran insurance at small forward. Otherwise, I'd rather just keep Green than add Josh Howard's corpse.

ace3g
03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Alex Kennedy is the only person on hoopsworld I trust and he doesn't usually post something unless it has some legs.

thispego
:lol god I'd be so pissed

baseline bum
Man am I glad this is from Hoopsworld. Howard is more useless than Dick and cannot be amnestied. I'd rather have Steve Smith or Samaki Walker back than make that trade.

Hooks
03-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Lol.

Drewlius
03-13-2012, 07:41 PM
This can not be real.

ace3g
03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
again he said nothing is imminent but it is being discussed

Ditty
03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Is it a miracle and we found a suitor for RJ?

Hoops Czar
03-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Howard didn't want to come via free agency and the spurs still want him? I'm not sure trading for a player who wanted to be elewhere is a good investment. I can live w/o Green. I think he's pretty much peaked in terms of what he can do on the court. Although, I'm a little surprised Anderson's name didn't come up.

Quiet Strength
03-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Pass. It would be better for the spurs to keep green than to get howard.

Duncan2177
03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Darko Milicic?

timtonymanu
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah I hope the Spurs are rejecting the offer. Or one of the other two teams rejects it. I would hate this deal.

Hoops Czar
03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
again he said nothing is imminent but it is being discussed

It doesn't make a lot of sense considering they have 2 power forwards and if the trade goes through, be down a pg and sg.

lmbebo
03-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I think I was happier at the option of J. Howard before the season started. Only way I'm behind this is if we get someone to take RJ and or we get another 1st round pick this summer in this deal

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Green is one of the most overrated players on SpursTalk, but I'd rather keep him over Josh Howard..he's a shitty player, and he wouldn't fit well with the Spurs..

loveforthegame
03-13-2012, 07:59 PM
The only way this makes sense is if RJ is out the door in another deal and/or there's another piece involved in the trade.

If not, then I can't fathom why they make this deal. Ugh.

timtonymanu
03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Is it a miracle and we found a suitor for RJ?

True. No way Spurs acquire Howard and keep Jefferson on the team. Some team must have caved on RJ if the Spurs considered this deal. Then again, none of this has been confirmed yet.

bklynspursfan
03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
The only way this makes sense is if RJ is out the door in another deal and/or there's another piece involved in the trade.

If not, then I can't fathom why they make this deal. Ugh.

That's the same thing I was thinking. It makes no sense to trade 1 wing player for another unless something else is in place

timvp
03-13-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm struggling to figure out how this trade makes sense to any of the teams involved. By itself, it doesn't make sense for the Spurs ... especially since Ginobili is in and out of the lineup so much. Green is basically the team's Manu insurance at this point. And if you add Josh Howard to Richard Jefferson, the Spurs might as well send Kawhi to the Toros.

Green and Ellington may allow the Jazz to get rid of Raja Bell but there's not much difference between Green, Ellington and Miles.

The Timberwolves can't possibly think Tinsley will help deal with the loss of Rubio, can they? Tinsley hasn't been halfway decent in half a decade. Going from Ellington to Miles could save money but that's about it.

There must be draft picks and/or cash involved that is the true motivation if this is a legit rumor.

cd98
03-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Howard can play the two. He is insurance for Manu at two. He can play three if Jefferson flames out in playoffs. It makes sense except Howard has sucked in the playoffs.

Also, of trade happens, Jefferson to be amnestied this summer?

Bruno
03-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Weird rumor. I don't really see why Spurs would be interested.

romsho
03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
I call bullshit. I don't buy this at all. Danny Green is an energy player..hustles his ass off on D, impacts a game whether he scores or not..toght to find guys like that. Josh Howard does none of that. He's a minus player. All that plus the salary? Makes zero sense. Very un-Spurs like.

romsho
03-13-2012, 08:11 PM
I call bullshit. I don't buy this at all. Danny Green is an energy player..hustles his ass off on D, impacts a game whether he scores or not..tough to find guys like that. Josh Howard does none of that. He's a minus player. All that plus the salary? Makes zero sense. Very un-Spurs like.

SenorSpur
03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Please. Does anyone believe the Spurs would want to touch Josh Howard now after he spurned them in free agency and has continued to suck throughout the first half of this season?

Besides all that, Pop LOVES Danny Green.

Maddog
03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Unless...
well I can't think of any reason

Duncan2177
03-13-2012, 08:13 PM

Unless RJ will be part of another deal.

Spursfan092120
03-13-2012, 08:14 PM
That would REALLY piss me off. Green for Howard? I'd start throwing shit. I liked Howard as a free agent, but not trading Green.

Mal
03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Howard isnt that far better than Green. I would stick with Green, and then try to resign him for 3 years, rather then trading him for Josh Howard

silverblackfan
03-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Agree with everyone that this would be a lousy deal unless RJ is getting traded in another deal. Green has been doing fine and puts in a great effort every night. I doubt we could say the same if Howard were here. Sounds like some other teams pipe dream.

Redshadows
03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't see it happening.
With RJ still here, JH makes no sense. Green is better.
Unless... unless... the Spurs could get picks, lol.

spurbyheart
03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
What probably happened is that the jazz want to dump howard on us but we don't want him we want someone else...:nope

DJB
03-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Wow, lots of DG lovers in here. Personally I really don't like Danny Green. Any NBA player who misses as many chip shots as he does, doesn't belong in the league, IMO.

Texas_Ranger
03-13-2012, 08:22 PM
yea... I'd do it. Both of them are not really that good, but I rather have Josh.

timvp
03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
This trade also adds more than a million dollars to the luxury tax bill for the Spurs.

Another negative is it doesn't come close to working salary-wise :lol

Chris
03-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Maybe the names are mixed up. Could be Tinsley is coming here to replace Ford.

Hoops Czar
03-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Wow, lots of DG lovers in here. Personally I really don't like Danny Green. Any NBA player who misses as many chip shots as he does, doesn't belong in the league, IMO.

This is what happens at Spurstalk. Last year, they couldn't get enough of Anderson. Green is the "new" Anderson. He really isn't that good although I think some fans woud like to see him retained just so they can use him as a scapegoat for the next year or two. He's a marginal player at best, a dime a dozen around the NBA.

loveforthegame
03-13-2012, 08:33 PM
It's not that I think Green is untouchable or something. I don't mind swapping him for Howard even.

The part I don't like is not knowing Jefferson's status. If he's still on the team you know Pop will stick with him as a starter and make sure he gets his minutes. Would Howard be happy off the bench? What happens to Leonard?

Leetonidas
03-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Hopefully this is bullshit and or the Spurs would at least get Darko back from the Wolves some how...he sucks but he's better than Blair/Bonner

Bruno
03-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Unless RJ will be part of another deal.

Or Kahwi Leonard :stirpot:

loveforthegame
03-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Oh man. That's not even funny. :lol :depressed :ihit

lmbebo
03-13-2012, 08:36 PM

:toast

Proxy
03-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Not to defend Josh Howard... but Green is not that good. Some of you need to take your homer goggles off and see him for what he is: inconsistent and has the ability to go on turnover streaks.

TD 21
03-13-2012, 08:42 PM
In a vacuum, this trade obviously makes no sense, so I've got to think this is a precursor/prelude to a Jefferson trade. In terms of it not working financially, in the report it says, "other players and draft picks will likely be included in the finalized trade".

And like ace3g said, Alex Kennedy is pretty reliable. As far as I know, he broke the Ford signing, amongst a bunch of others this past off season.

Green is nothing special obviously, but he's an affordable, solid all around, young, inexpensive role player and he's clearly Spurs material. For them to give him up, there's got to be a reason and I just don't buy that that reason is the rotting corpse of Howard.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Fuck this "deal"

suitedkings
03-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Looks like Danny Green isn't over himself....he's gotta go.

ThaBigFundamental21
03-13-2012, 08:44 PM
WTF? This better not happen. Why in the hell do we want old ass Josh Howard??? And for a young guy like Danny Green. Green, not great can continue to improve, not get worse like Howard. Is Jefferson going in this trade??? And can Howard be amnestied next year if we take him. Just gross, fuck this trade.

Hooks
03-13-2012, 08:45 PM

He's practically a rookie, this is his first year actually getting playing time in the NBA against NBA level competition, he WILL improve offensively and defensively. Plus he's only 24, he's cheap as hell, plays defense and can shoot the 3.

timtonymanu
Not to defend Josh Howard... but Green is not that good. Some of you need to take your homer goggles off and see him for what he is: inconsistent and has the ability to go on turnover streaks.

I'm not a fan of Danny Green either, but I would rather have him than Josh Howard. At least Green doesn't have character issues and is much cheaper to have. Howard and Jefferson on the same team is asking for a disaster.

Leetonidas
If we're going after Howard while trading Green, RJ has to been on the move in another deal or something

lmbebo
03-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Not hung up on Green. Bit piece, playing well. Good energy.

As previously said multiple times, this trade doesn't make sense as stated.

timvp
03-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Here's how it might make sense for Peter Holt:

Spurs Get
Josh Howard

T'Wolves Get
CJ Miles
TJ Ford
Jamaal Tinsley

Jazz Get
Danny Green
James Anderson
Wayne Ellington
Anthony Tolliver

If my math is right, the Spurs would save about $1 million. :jack

The Jazz get some swingman options and the T'Wolves dump Ellington's contract.

Still doesn't make much sense but if Pop no longer likes Green and the Jazz like him, it could be a way to save some money.

SenorSpur
03-13-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm not a fan of Danny Green either, but I would rather have him than Josh Howard. At least Green doesn't have character issues and is much cheaper to have. Howard and Jefferson on the same team is asking for a disaster.

That's the whole point right there. Josh Howard, while once a very good player and borderline all-star, has devolved into a 7-year veteran dog, with low-character issues.

TimmehC
03-13-2012, 08:49 PM
RJ/Green for Darko/Howard and a pick? (didn't check if the salaries work)

Wild Cobra Kai
03-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Maybe the "other shoe" is RJ into the Utah TE? They are getting rid of their only NBA caliber SF trading JHo away...

Or, RJ for Devn Harris?

Hooks
03-13-2012, 08:51 PM
This is what happens at Spurstalk. Last year, they couldn't get enough of Anderson. Green is the "new" Anderson. He really isn't that good although I think some fans woud like to see him retained just so they can use him as a scapegoat for the next year or two. He's a marginal player at best, a dime a dozen around the NBA.

Anderson was playing very well for a rookie in the beginning of last year, of course Spurs fans loved him. It's pretty damn obvious the injury has changed his level of play like the same injury has affected so many others.

Howard has already peaked as an NBA player long ago and it looks like he's done and is on the decline. Green is 24, it's his first year ever getting playing time in the NBA so he's practically a rookie. Green is bound to get better offensively and defensively. He's got good work ethic, a good attitude (unlike Howard), he's cheap as well.

TD 21
03-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Here's how it might make sense for Peter Holt:

Spurs Get
Josh Howard

T'Wolves Get
CJ Miles
TJ Ford
Jamaal Tinsley

Jazz Get
Danny Green
James Anderson
Wayne Ellington
Anthony Tolliver

The Jazz get some swingman options and the T'Wolves dump Ellington's contract.

Still doesn't make much sense but if Pop no longer likes Green and the Jazz like him, it could be a way to save some money.

But do they really have to get rid of Green to dump Anderson? I can't imagine. And why wouldn't Pop like Green? He seems like the exact type Pop would like, plus we haven't heard of any sort of rift between the two. I know that doesn't necessarily mean there hasn't been one, but it's seemingly unlikely.

Maybe this is about not wanting to pay Green this summer? If it is, that's ridiculous. It's not like he's going to break the bank and presuming Jefferson is amnestied, that coupled with Duncan inevitably taking a massive pay cut would make re-signing him all the more digestible.

angelbelow
03-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Probably false. As much have stated, its difficult to figure out the motivation from the Spurs behind this decision.

Maybe Manu's injury adds urgency to add another scorer on the wing? And we're only giving up Danny Green for Josh Howard so there could be some traction there.

Spurtacus
03-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Hoopsworld :lol

Green for Howard is a downgrade!

Keepin' it real
03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Howard has had success in the playoffs. Danny Green hasn't. If the Spurs want to win now, and if Howard has anything left in the tank, and if Timmy can re-energize his fellow Demon Deacon, this trade could make sense. Yes, I realize that's a lot of ifs.

SenorSpur
03-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Howard has had success in the playoffs. Danny Green hasn't. If the Spurs want to win now, and if Howard has anything left in the tank, and if Timmy can re-energize his fellow Demon Deacon, this trade could make sense. Yes, I realize that's a lot of ifs.

I wouldn't expect it. It appears that injuries have robbed Howard of the explosive first step he once had. He'll surely hang around the NBA for a few more years, but sadly it seems that his best days are clearly behind him. It's hard to believe the Spurs were ever interested in him this summer, at all.

spurs4real
03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I think we are in a tough position but I would love to think that we are considering trading up for a center and backup point guard. All this crap about Josh Howard I'm more than sure that is what the Jazz want not us. But we I've to listen and revise every possible trade. Now if it's true we get Josh Howard, hey listen, anyone that goes from a team that's struggles they change how they play when they come to a contender. So why hate on a trade where both players are disposable. Just my take. But like I said, I hope we're looking for a center and pg at this point.

DesignatedT
03-13-2012, 09:25 PM
If there is any truth to this there has to be a big involved that isn't mentioned. I highly doubt this though.

jag
03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
:lmao well this changes everything

Reck
03-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Josh Howard? Lmao

Spurs FO cannot be this stupid.

timvp
03-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Howard makes $2,150,000.

Anderson makes $1,463,520. Ford and Anderson both make $854,389.

So that's a savings of $1,022,298. Multiply that by two to account for the luxury tax savings and we're at $2,044,596.

But then the Spurs would be down to 11 players. They'd probably have to sign a fifth bigman and a replacement for Ford, which would eat up a chunk of that room they just saved.

............seems like a lot of effort to not save that much money, tbh.

jag
03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Spurs need a backup PG and a shot-blocker.

Enter: Josh Howard

timtonymanu
03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
It's all smoke screen. We're really getting Millsap. :downspin:

timvp
03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
But do they really have to get rid of Green to dump Anderson? I can't imagine.The Spurs could (and should) just include him in a trade with cash to get him off the books.

And why wouldn't Pop like Green?No idea.

Maybe this is about not wanting to pay Green this summer?Good thought. Although at this point nobody really knows if Green is going to command $4 million or a minimum salary. How he plays the rest of the way will determine that. If he continues to spiral downward, he could be had for a partially guaranteed contract.

jag
03-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Manu is falling apart before our very eyes.

Solution: Downgrade at backup SG.

MR.SILVER&BLack
03-13-2012, 09:40 PM
you have 2 of the 3 teams in the jazz and twolves overflowed with bigs and all they are doing is swapping wingmen. has to be fake.

Spursfan092120
03-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Not to mention this gem
-BqG9kjknVw

TD 21
03-13-2012, 09:47 PM
The Spurs could (and should) just include him in a trade with cash to get him off the books.

Exactly.

No idea.Stranger things have happened, but I'd be very surprised.

Good thought. Although at this point nobody really knows if Green is going to command $4 million or a minimum salary. How he plays the rest of the way will determine that. If he continues to spiral downward, he could be had for a partially guaranteed contract.I think it's safe to say he won't command either $4 million or a minimum salary and definitely not a partially guaranteed contract. Something in the $2-3 million range, for two years, makes sense. Between Leonard and him, that would be roughly $5 million spent on the SF position for the next two seasons, which is economical to say the least.

Chomag
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Just no...

G-Dawgg
03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Isn't Green's contract up after this season?.. so why get stuck having to look for another decent perimeter player in the off season when we can trade him for one now...

Ditty
03-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Only trade I would consider

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7fnpx39

Like someone mentioned Green is highly overrated on this board, and James Anderson could do as much as he could lately. Spurs find a PF, and back up PG. I still don't see a way we can get rid of RJ, but maybe there will be a miracle, and someone in the Jazz may think he can be useful.

slick'81
03-13-2012, 10:13 PM
wow just wow how the fck does howard fit in with rjs corpse here

TP2150
03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
What would think about this deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7emehau

jag
03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
"Green is overrated... blah blah"

I get it. He's not a star, but he fills a need and is rarely a liability on either end of the floor. He knows his role and he understands the Spurs system. His man-defense can be hit or miss, but "overrated" or not, the Spurs defense is better with him on the floor.

Gutter92
03-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Hopefully this is bullshit and or the Spurs would at least get Darko back from the Wolves some how...he sucks but he's better than Blair/Bonner

Darko doesn't suck when you consider him as a defensive big for us....when you remember he was the 2nd pick and picked b4 better players...then you can say he sucks compared to them, sure...I'd love Darko here if he can stay healthy, he'd be a huge improvement on the defensive end..

DPG21920
03-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Which is why pop has inexplicably decided to drop him from the rotation

MaNu4Tres
03-13-2012, 10:21 PM
:lol hoopsworld

timtonymanu
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
It's true that the site is Hoopsworld, but the source is Alex Kennedy. TD 21 mentioned it earlier but he broke the Ford signing. This information has to be somewhat legit.

TD 21
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Which is why pop has inexplicably decided to drop him from the rotation

He hasn't dropped him from the rotation, he's merely moved him to the fringe of it. Short of putting Jefferson in that role (which they'd only consider if their backs are up against the wall in the playoffs, a la Splitter-for-Blair, last season), this was the logical solution.

Leonard and Neal should be ahead of Green and they need one of Parker or Ginobili in at all times (save for blowouts, obviously), because Neal isn't capable of being the lone ball handler on the floor. So the only time that leaves for Green is when Parker returns from his rest.

DPG21920
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
No. RJ should be dropped. Period.

G-Dawgg
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Maybe its a sign that RJ is getting amnestied in the offseason.....

TD 21
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
No. RJ should be dropped. Period.

I've been saying the same thing for weeks. Unfortunately, politics play a major role in professional sports and merit doesn't play enough of one.

CGD
03-13-2012, 10:33 PM
The only way this makes sense is if the Spurs are getting rid of Richard Jefferson in another trade and want veteran insurance at small forward.

This was my initial thought when I read this. Something like the Warriors flipping SJax, and the Spurs and Warriors do a RJ-Bidrens swap shortly thereafter.

CGD
03-13-2012, 10:36 PM
At the very least Josh Howard's $2.1M come off the books this summer. No further salary obligation if it doesn't pan out...

TP2150
03-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Utah has 10 million trade exception from the Okur trade.

DesignatedT
03-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I like Green but I don't really care that much if he is involved in a deal. A deal for a big man that is. Not Josh fucking Howard.

baseline bum
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Good thought. Although at this point nobody really knows if Green is going to command $4 million or a minimum salary. How he plays the rest of the way will determine that. If he continues to spiral downward, he could be had for a partially guaranteed contract.

$4 million for Green? :vomit:

DesignatedT
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't give Green more than 2.5/yr and that would even require him having a great playoff.

Ditty
03-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Maybe one of the Jazz's first round picks this year will be involved:stirpot:

Libri
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't like the trade for Howard. :td

ElNono
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I'll take it if we get 3 top 10 protected 1st round picks... just makes no sense otherwise

Duncan2177
03-13-2012, 11:37 PM
If it's hoopsworld it might be BS!

a press conference will be held 5:00 central tonight making it official.

Spurs to Sign Karl Malone
By Bill Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Dec 15, 2004, 12:41

Get ready. The hype surrounding the Spurs is well deserved. After all, they boast the perennial league MVP, they have the star player for this year's Olympic gold medal basketball team, they have great young talents at point guard. Their second unit features NBA champion Robert Horry, the energetic and perseverant Malik Rose, and veteran big man Tony Massenburg. They have excellent defenders and three-point shooters, they have veteran experience and youth . . .what could be missing?

Well, there is one individual who would like to ride the Tim Duncan express to the Finals. He thought he could get one with Shaq and Kobe last year, but the Detroit Pistons derailed that pipe dream. He made it to the Finals twice with former Siamese twin John Stockton. The only thing missing from his illustrious career is the championship ring that has thus far eluded him. Today he hopes to take care of that last item on his check list.

The Spurs are holding a press conference today to announce that they have agreed to terms with Karl Malone, a move that will shatter the hopes of the Miami Heat and the LA Lakers, two teams who hoped to lure him to their camps. Kobe Bryant ended any hope that Malone would return to LA and Shaq was unsuccessful in convincing Malone that the Heat have a shot at getting past Detroit - much less the Spurs.

San Antonio, meanwhile, would like to shore up their front line. Gregg Popovich has been frustrated with the play of Rasho Nesterovic, and has recently opted to run without a true center in the lineup for long stretches of games. Malone will likely find himself playing alongside Tim Duncan when Rasho hits the bench. The Spurs will hope that Malone takes some pressure off of Tim and give them that extra presence that helps get them past Phoenix and Seattle when the stretch run begins.

It should be remembered that Malone is returning from surgery on a stress fracture in his leg. He's not the spry young man he used to be, and age seems to be catching up with him at an alarming rate. Will he be able to play extended minutes without going down for an extended period of time with another injury?

The Spurs won't be basing their hopes for another championship on Karl Malone, but you can bet that this is Malone's last chance to get one. If he can contribute the Spurs could be downright scary by the time April rolls around. At the very least the Spurs prevent the Lakers from signing Malone. Malone could have been a major factor for the Lakers or the Heat. In San Antonio anything he adds will be a bonus, and it may be that he chose the situation that would be easiest on his body while also giving him the best chance to win a title.

Stay tuned to HOOPSWORLD for the latest on the signing of Karl Malone!

:lol

Thompson
03-13-2012, 11:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Not the trade being discussed, but Spurs get Al Jefferson (can he play next to Duncan?). He's a better scorer than Splitter.

The Jazz need more small forwards apparently (if Josh Howard is their only 'serviceable' small forward). Maybe Richard will do better there. Plus Splitter is white; they seem to like that up there. Still might have to get them to drink a lot first, however, which will be tricky since they're Mormons. CIA Pop can slip them a Mickey.

Spurs start Leonard and have Green / Anderson split the backup small forward minutes.

timvp
03-13-2012, 11:39 PM
By Bill Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com

:lol Classic. The ST meltdown that created was legendary.

Turned out the Spurs called the press conference to announce the retirement of Sean Elliott's jersey.

ace3g
03-13-2012, 11:40 PM

By Bill Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com

Get ready. The hype surrounding the Spurs is well deserved. After all, they boast the perennial league MVP, they have the star player for this year's Olympic gold medal basketball team, they have great young talents at point guard. Their second unit features NBA champion Robert Horry, the energetic and perseverant Malik Rose, and veteran big man Tony Massenburg. They have excellent defenders and three-point shooters, they have veteran experience and youth . . .what could be missing?

Well, there is one individual who would like to ride the Tim Duncan express to the Finals. He thought he could get one with Shaq and Kobe last year, but the Detroit Pistons derailed that pipe dream. He made it to the Finals twice with former Siamese twin John Stockton. The only thing missing from his illustrious career is the championship ring that has thus far eluded him. Today he hopes to take care of that last item on his check list.

The Spurs are holding a press conference today to announce that they have agreed to terms with Karl Malone, a move that will shatter the hopes of the Miami Heat and the LA Lakers, two teams who hoped to lure him to their camps. Kobe Bryant ended any hope that Malone would return to LA and Shaq was unsuccessful in convincing Malone that the Heat have a shot at getting past Detroit - much less the Spurs.

San Antonio, meanwhile, would like to shore up their front line. Gregg Popovich has been frustrated with the play of Rasho Nesterovic, and has recently opted to run without a true center in the lineup for long stretches of games. Malone will likely find himself playing alongside Tim Duncan when Rasho hits the bench. The Spurs will hope that Malone takes some pressure off of Tim and give them that extra presence that helps get them past Phoenix and Seattle when the stretch run begins.

It should be remembered that Malone is returning from surgery on a stress fracture in his leg. He's not the spry young man he used to be, and age seems to be catching up with him at an alarming rate. Will he be able to play extended minutes without going down for an extended period of time with another injury?

The Spurs won't be basing their hopes for another championship on Karl Malone, but you can bet that this is Malone's last chance to get one. If he can contribute the Spurs could be downright scary by the time April rolls around. At the very least the Spurs prevent the Lakers from signing Malone. Malone could have been a major factor for the Lakers or the Heat. In San Antonio anything he adds will be a bonus, and it may be that he chose the situation that would be easiest on his body while also giving him the best chance to win a title.

Stay tuned to HOOPSWORLD for the latest on the signing of Karl Malone!

:lol

Karl Malone: First choice was Spurs, not Lakers

http://projectspurs.com/2012-articles/january/karl-malone-first-choice-was-spurs-not-lakers.html

And again that article wasn't by Alex Kennedy

Rapper
03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Good to hear that

timvp
03-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Karl Malone: First choice was Spurs, not Lakers

http://projectspurs.com/2012-articles/january/karl-malone-first-choice-was-spurs-not-lakers.html

The Malone to the Spurs Hoopsworld story was for the 2004-05 season. Malone in that link is talking about the previous season.

Hoopsworld was trash for a while but it seems they have broken a few factual stories here and there lately. Haven't really paid attention, though. And I don't really see a point of Kennedy lying about this rather meaningless trade.

5in10
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
If theres any way we can include randolph in the trade please do it!!

Chris
03-13-2012, 11:57 PM
San Antonio, meanwhile, would like to shore up their front line. Gregg Popovich has been frustrated with the play of Rasho Nesterovic, and has recently opted to run without a true center in the lineup for long stretches of games.

This was a prelude to when Pop's coaching philosophy had a sex change. 2006 vs. the dreaded Dallas Mavericks with Avery Johnson playing mind games and dictating matchups. Never been the same since then.

TJastal
03-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Only trade I would consider

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7fnpx39

Like someone mentioned Green is highly overrated on this board, and James Anderson could do as much as he could lately. Spurs find a PF, and back up PG. I still don't see a way we can get rid of RJ, but maybe there will be a miracle, and someone in the Jazz may think he can be useful.

What do you consider "lately"? :lol

TJastal
03-14-2012, 12:21 AM
With Manu's health uncertainty, this whole thing makes little sense. With Neal now charged with full time backup point guard duties, Green is the closest thing now to to a viable backup shooting guard the spurs have. Unless you count Anderson, which I don't.

ace3g
03-14-2012, 12:29 AM
There, now everyone can relax a bit

Marc J. Spears ‏ @SpearsNBAYahoo

Lakers, Spurs, Knicks and Celtics have expressed interest in trading for Utah G-F Josh Howard, a source says. Jazz don't want to make deal.

bigfan
03-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Howard is a hardcore doper gangsta with the brains of a peanut whos skills are well past the "use by" date. He is not Spurs material and Pop will hate the guy. I hope this rumor is BS.

Spurs da champs
03-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Will Jackson be bought out?

timvp
03-14-2012, 01:13 AM

Lakers, Spurs, Knicks and Celtics have expressed interest in trading for Utah G-F Josh Howard, a source says. Jazz don't want to make deal.

ace3g with the goods. Took some hits for posting a Hoopsworld rumor but it turned out to have legs since Yahoo basically confirmed it.

Nice job :tu

Ice009
03-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Why is everyone after Josh Howard? Haven't watched many Utah games at all this season, but I thought he's been average this season?

Hoops Czar
03-14-2012, 01:16 AM

All Spears had to say was another team was interested in Howard. That would officially eliminate the Spurs.

sananspursfan21
03-14-2012, 01:17 AM
hopefully he just got the names wrong

loveforthegame
03-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Still don't understand why the Spurs are so hot for Howard.

timvp
I'm guessing the Jazz are floating out these rumors to drive up Howard's price so they can ship him off. I highly doubt there's a natural bidding war for J-Ho.

But if teams are interested, they must be looking at his last ten games in which he's averaging 12 points and 4.8 rebounds while shooting 45.9% from the field.

Really though, unless RJ is traded, J-Ho really doesn't make sense for the Spurs. Even if Danny Green isn't involved and they trade him for James Anderson and TJ Ford, I don't see how he helps. He's too slow to play shooting guard these days. Doesn't rebound well enough anymore to play stretch four.

TJastal
Why is everyone after Josh Howard? Haven't watched many Utah games at all this season, but I thought he's been average this season?

Pop just loves acquiring those former "spur killers" even after they become washed up has-beens.

TJastal
03-14-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm guessing the Jazz are floating out these rumors to drive up Howard's price so they can ship him off. I highly doubt there's a natural bidding war for J-Ho.

But if teams are interested, they must be looking at his last ten games in which he's averaging 12 points and 4.8 rebounds while shooting 45.9% from the field.

Really though, unless RJ is traded, J-Ho really doesn't make sense for the Spurs. Even if Danny Green isn't involved and they trade him for James Anderson and TJ Ford, I don't see how he helps. He's too slow to play shooting guard these days. Doesn't rebound well enough anymore to play stretch four.

The new Finley replacement. :wow

The_Worlds_finest
03-14-2012, 01:29 AM
:sleep while your at it; might aswell let you all know Spurs are offering me a 3 year 35 mil contract for starting super fan.

mountainballer
03-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Howard makes $2,150,000.

Anderson makes $1,463,520. Ford and Anderson both make $854,389.

So that's a savings of $1,022,298. Multiply that by two to account for the luxury tax savings and we're at $2,044,596.

But then the Spurs would be down to 11 players. They'd probably have to sign a fifth bigman and a replacement for Ford, which would eat up a chunk of that room they just saved.

............seems like a lot of effort to not save that much money, tbh.

it's comes down to Green for Howard and I can see them do this, even if they don't save money via this move. most poster here bash Howard and yes, he is a shadow of his former self, but he doesn't look worse than last season with the Wizards and the Spurs still wanted him this summer after that season in WAS.
but if some picks were involved (that come in, not go out), the move would look more logical of course.

jestersmash
03-14-2012, 04:56 AM
PER being a flawed advanced statistic notwithstanding, I'm pretty sure every potential "trade" I've seen using the ESPN trade machine on spurstalk has the Spurs losing out or breaking even on Hollinger's "wins added" analysis :lol

It is possible for the Spurs to come out on top on hypothetical trades using a PER-centric analysis, right? *Checks* http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7dp9zy9

Yep, it's possible :lol

It's just a fun little trend I've seen on SpursTalk. Every trade without exception that I've seen here has followed this mold (break even or decrease wins).

baseline bum
03-14-2012, 05:12 AM
:lol Classic. The ST meltdown that created was legendary.

Turned out the Spurs called the press conference to announce the retirement of Sean Elliott's jersey.

Man, could you imagine game 5 in Detroit with Warm Karl instead of Big Shot Rob???

angelbelow
03-14-2012, 05:15 AM
it's comes down to Green for Howard and I can see them do this, even if they don't save money via this move. most poster here bash Howard and yes, he is a shadow of his former self, but he doesn't look worse than last season with the Wizards and the Spurs still wanted him this summer after that season in WAS.
but if some picks were involved (that come in, not go out), the move would look more logical of course.

Agreed, it does look like its a Green for Howard swap. Hard to turn away if thats all it took. With Ginobili being a bit unreliable nowadays I think adding Howard's versatility on offense could prove to be useful.

TJastal
03-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Agreed, it does look like its a Green for Howard swap. Hard to turn away if thats all it took. With Ginobili being a bit unreliable nowadays I think adding Howard's versatility on offense could prove to be useful.

I just hope the plan is to start Howard and bench Jefferson not Pop trying to to resurrect Michael Finley's small balls "power" forward spirit from the dead.

Russ
03-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Assuming there is any truth to the story, the takeaway is that Green is available in a trade.

George Gervin's Afro
03-14-2012, 08:17 AM
I may be way off base wit this but I think Danny Green has long term potential. He seems to be a smart player with really good basketball skills. He should be a part of the Spurs long term future in my opinion. Not a star but is a long 3 that can defend and score when you need him to.

therealtruth
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM

By Bill Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com

The ironic thing is Malone really wanted to go to the Spurs but said he would go to the team that didn't win so it couldn't be said he was jumping on the bandwagon. As a result because the Spurs won in '03 he went to the Lakers. However he then became a big part of the reason the Spurs didn't repeat. His defense on TD in '04 really made a difference.

bklynspursfan
03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
The ironic thing is Malone really wanted to go to the Spurs but said he would go to the team that didn't win so it couldn't be said he was jumping on the bandwagon. As a result because the Spurs won in '03 he went to the Lakers. However he then became a big part of the reason the Spurs didn't repeat. His defense on TD in '04 really made a difference.

That and .4 :bang

Leetonidas
03-14-2012, 09:49 AM
I may be way off base wit this but I think Danny Green has long term potential. He seems to be a smart player with really good basketball skills. He should be a part of the Spurs long term future in my opinion. Not a star but is a long 3 that can defend and score when you need him to.

Leonard is a long 3, Green is barely 6'6" and is nowhere close to being long.

DBMethos
03-14-2012, 10:01 AM
That and .4 :bang

As well as Turkoglu shitting (and shooting) bricks.

mexicanjunior
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Josh Howard is a pot head piece of shit I would not want anywhere near this team. Keeping Jefferson would be better than bringing that cancer into the locker room.

Spurs da champs
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Leonard is a long 3, Green is barely 6'6" and is nowhere close to being long.

And he's far from smart.

jermaine
03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I like Danny myself but we really don't have anyone outside Tony(manu whenever healthy) that can score on their own. So Howard mite not be so bad.

TJastal
03-14-2012, 11:00 AM
According to pre-draft measurements:

Green's standing reach is only 3 inches shorter than Leonard, and he makes up for some of it with his superior standing vertical. These are the things needed to contest shots.

He also did 15 bench press reps to Leonard's 3, showing much more upper body strength.

While I'd still give Leonard the edge (in guarding Durant) Green wouldn't be that much of a worse choice.

TJastal
03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
I like Danny myself but we really don't have anyone outside Tony(manu whenever healthy) that can score on their own. So Howard mite not be so bad.

I just checked Howard's stats and I have to say I'm having second thoughts....

Howard is currently shooting 40% (35% last season) and can't space the floor (25% currently from downtown).

At least Jefferson can shoot.

Spurs da champs
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
According to pre-draft measurements:

Green's standing reach is only 3 inches shorter than Leonard, and he makes up for some of it with his superior standing vertical. These are the things needed to contest shots.

He also did 15 bench press reps to Leonard's 3, showing much more upper body strength.

While I'd still give Leonard the edge (in guarding Durant) Green wouldn't be that much of a worse choice.

According to draft express Dwight Howard only did 8 reps, so going by your logic Danny Green has much more upper body strength then him as well right? :rollin

Leonard has longer arms & obviously is much more physical then Green & a much smarter/better defender as well. Fact.

sehui
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I'd actually be okay with this trade. Howard has shown some upside the past couple of weeks. (scoring 10-15 points a game along with 4-6 rebounds).

You guys are making Danny Green out to be some sort of mega prospect. Bottom line is, I would move Green and Neal in a heartbeat to acquire more talent, they are nowhere near untouchable.

Neal can create his own offense, but he's inconsistent. Danny Green more or less is 3 pt spot up shooter. Howard has much more in his offensive arsenal, and there's no way he could be less of a defender.

Plus, Green is unproven during the postseason. Howard has shown up, multiple times.

Leetonidas
03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Neal has big balls, something we're gonna need playoff time. There's not many people in the league who can calmly sink a game winning/tying basket and Neal is one of those cold as mofos. So I'd be against trading him unless it's a no brainer

dbestpro
03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Trading for Howard is popalogical. It gives Spur fans someone to hate more than RJ, Blair, and Bonner.

03-14-2012, 11:49 AM
green is like the very poor man's manu ginobili. despite his mediocre play, his energy and hustle is contagious and is worth keeping him in the rotation. and every now and then, green makes a good play in the clutch when the spurs desperately need something created.

i only like this rumor because that means jefferson must be getting moved. but otherwise... spurs should just blow the team up now instead of slowly killing the team.

therealtruth
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Neal has big balls, something we're gonna need playoff time. There's not many people in the league who can calmly sink a game winning/tying basket and Neal is one of those cold as mofos. So I'd be against trading him unless it's a no brainer

I agree. Neal has the necessary skills to hit big shots in the playoffs.

therealtruth
03-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Getting Josh Howard does nothing to address the fact that this team only really has two legitimate playoff caliber big men. It's not going to make that big an impact in the long run. The team needs more defense, rebounding, and post scoring. Getting another shot happy swing doesn't help. When we lose in the playoffs it won't be because of Danny Green, it will be because of our lack of a frontcourt.

Robz4000
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Danny Green > Josh Howard. I would say it was an attempt to improve the perimeter D but getting rid of Danny almost negates it. If this is true hopefully it's preparation to trade RJ.

ColinB
03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Anyone who wants Howard has not seen him play this year. Dude is playing worse than Dick Jefferson.

Hoops Czar
03-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Anyone who wants Howard has not seen him play this year. Dude is playing worse than Dick Jefferson.

Anyone who says Howard is playing worse than Dick obviously hasn't seen Dick play this year.

ColinB
03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
How so exactly? Howard may be more aggressive, but who cares when he is just throwing up bricks.

Hoops Czar
03-14-2012, 03:13 PM
How so exactly? Howard may be more aggressive, but who cares when he is just throwing up bricks.
Howard atleast has the ability to create his own shot. Neither are any good defensively, but w/o Jefferson, Leonard would be starting and I would be very comfortable seeing Howard come off the bench and give the Spurs some extra scoring punch.

DMC
03-14-2012, 11:29 PM
The Spurs organization is like the Kardashian mom. They don't have as many options these days as they did 10 years ago.

Proxy
03-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Josh Howard is a pot head piece of shit I would not want anywhere near this team. Keeping Jefferson would be better than bringing that cancer into the locker room.

Fuck... just shut up about him smoking weed. It has nothing to do with his play and anyone who thinks the majority of NBA players don't partake in some illegal drug usage (especially marijuana, being one of the least harmful) are fooling themselves.

TJastal
03-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Josh Howard 3-12 today, bringing his already shit numbers down to 39% shooting, 23% from long distance.

mexicanjunior
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Fuck... just shut up about him smoking weed. It has nothing to do with his play and anyone who thinks the majority of NBA players don't partake in some illegal drug usage (especially marijuana, being one of the least harmful) are fooling themselves.

I'm sure plenty of player's have smoked weed but not many of them are retarded enough to openly admit and discuss it with the media. Plus, he is prone to throw birthday parties in the middle of playoff runs and generally be disliked by his teammates/coach. You are an idiot if you think he would do anything but bring this team down...

Spurs Brazil
03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Jax trade>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this trade