PDA

View Full Version : Pop haters don't read this...

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I thought this was a good summary of Pop's adjustments in Game 5.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/dailydime?page=dailydime-050619

Pop on top of Game 5

By John Hollinger, ESPN.com

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Robert Horry hit the big shots, but the man who might have been the Spurs' MVP on Sunday didn't make any shots, or grab any rebounds, or block any shots.

Instead, it was Gregg Popovich's adjustments, both before the game and during, that enabled the Spurs to recover from two one-sided losses and steal Game 5 in Detroit.

Popovich's first challenge was to eliminate the plague of turnovers that led to so many easy transition points for the Pistons in Games 3 and 4.

His two-pronged response was masterful. First, Popovich yanked backup point guard Beno Udrih from the rotation. With eight turnovers in 43 minutes, Udrih's miscues were playing right into Detroit's hands.

Instead, Manu Ginobili was his backup "point guard" in Game 5. Tony Parker played 45 of the 53 minutes, but when Parker went out it was the two-headed guard of Ginobili and Brent Barry that handled the ball and managed to keep it in the Spurs' hands most of the time.

At the same time, Popovich made a second adjustment – he would not allow any Spur other than Parker to bring the ball up against Detroit's Lindsey Hunter. If Hunter guarded Ginobili, then Barry would bring it up. If Hunter guarded Barry, then Ginobili would bring it up. At one point, he even put Devin Brown in the game to bring the ball up because Hunter was matched up on Ginobili. Forced to play off the ball, Hunter couldn't force the Spurs into traps as he did the previous two games.

Popovich also adjusted the defense late in the game by switching Bruce Bowen onto Chauncey Billups, who was destroying Parker. But with Bowen on him in the game's final six minutes, Billups shot 1-for-5.

However, those moves by Popovich pale in comparison to one last adjustment that nobody is talking about but is easily the most important – he stuck with Horry. It's easy to call this a no-brainer in hindsight, but that greatly underestimates what a difficult decision this was.

In the first half, Horry looked completely overmatched. He played 15 minutes without scoring, missed all three shots and looked terrified every time he went to the basket. The other Spurs had played extremely well, but the game was tied at halftime largely because Horry was keeping Detroit in the game.

If Popovich had yanked Horry after that dismal first half, nobody would have blamed him. Instead, he left Horry in position to do his thing. And when Rasheed Wallace had one of the greatest playoff brain cramps, leaving a sizzling Horry wide open at the 3-point line while he doubled Ginobili in the corner, it was Horry who was there to make Detroit pay.

"It was supposed to be a pick-and-roll with [Tim Duncan]," said Horry. "I saw Rasheed bite and I said, 'Oh, let me stay out here.' I just got the ball back, since I was shooting well I wanted to let it fly."

Horry's shot gave the Spurs a 3-2 series lead, so Popovich's reward for his move will in all likelihood be his third NBA championship. The changes he made – to replace Udrih and avoid dribbling against Hunter – certainly proved important. But sometimes it's the moves you don't make that are the best. Horry in Game 5 was a perfect example.

1Parker1
06-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Excellent article. Couldn't agree more. Pop really prepared the team for this game. He even made a guarantee before the game, which I have never heard him do before: Saying that tonight we would see a different Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. Just goes to show that he really made a concentrated effort to adjust for Game 5.

ObiwanGinobili
06-20-2005, 02:27 PM
I'll admit I was steaming by the half that Pop hadn't pulled Horry yet.
But I'm not an NBA coach nad thankgod he doesn't listen to me.

Pop is the man!!!!!

Sii
06-20-2005, 02:43 PM
somewhere AHF was ready to bash Pop if SA hadnt won last night :rolleyes

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Where is whotttttttt???

Sense
06-20-2005, 03:12 PM
This one's for AHF.

gospursgojas
06-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I noticed Beno wasnt in there and ....thats a good thing for now

whottt
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Pop's adjustments were dead on...actually they have been dead on for a long while now....

Still...I've been burnt too many times by Pop pulling a mystifying stupid substitution or not doing a sub... and giving a lameass excuse like...I wanted to do something else...while he is getting owned by Vescey.

So therefore I must still say Brown>Pop and Pistons in 7. Until Pop finally and emphatically proves me wrong. This means winning a trophy and his adjustments being the reason for it. He's on track to do it.

Edit: this also means not posting up Duncan all the way to a choke or a loss...he definitely adjusted in game 5 on that.

Sii
06-20-2005, 03:25 PM
you seriously think the Pistons are going to win 2 in a row at the SBC Center?

T Park
06-20-2005, 03:26 PM
while he is getting owned by Vescey.

please.

Peter Vescey doesnt own shit.

Horry For 3!
06-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Great article. Pop is awesome!

boutons
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I think Pop's biggest adjustment, if I heard/read it correctly, was before before Game5, and after Game4. Didn't I hear/read that Pop talked to them about "heart" and "desire" and etc?

The Spurs certainly came out in Game5 in much better psychological state, than in Game3 and 4, and and carried that state, like Robert holding his balls, for all 53 minutes.

We all knew Pistons simply weren't 31 points better than the Spurs.