PDA

View Full Version : Finally! No more D-D-D-D-DETROIT mason!

caŽlo
06-20-2005, 02:15 PM
what a RELIEF.

couldnt stand that guy.

especially when they run a close up shot of him while hes introducing the pistons.

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I understand a guy trying to pump up the crowd and the Pistons faithful seem to like him but I have a problem with anyone, much less a PA announcer, being referred to by one name. :p

ZappaFan
06-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Opposing fans sometimes don't like him, but he's generally regarded as one of the best in the business. He's awesome.

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Well we can't help it here in SA....Stan Kelly is a tool.

I really feel sorry for LakerFan....they have had the same guy since the 80's who sounds like his valium just kicked in. :lol

ObiwanGinobili
I'll miss the pyro, that was cool.
But the inro graphics at the SBC were wayyyy better.

Marcus Bryant
Yesterday's news.

Spurminator
06-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Like him or not, there will be more like him before all is said and done.

Detroit's fans like him, and that's all that really matters. He doesn't get paid to entertain people watching 2000 miles away on TV.

caŽlo
06-20-2005, 02:20 PM
also.. wont see ben hammering the spurs logo anymore on their intro vid.

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 02:21 PM
also.. wont see ben hammering the spurs logo anymore on their intro vid.

I think that was one of those things they do with every team.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Like him or not, there will be more like him before all is said and done.

Detroit's fans like him, and that's all that really matters. He doesn't get paid to entertain people watching 2000 miles away on TV.

ABC seemed to think he was...

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 02:22 PM

true...he got as much airtime as the sideline reporters! :p

Spurminator
06-20-2005, 02:23 PM

:lol

Can't argue with that...

Dex
I still think think it's funny when they go DEEEEETROOOOOOIT BAAAAAAAASKEEEETBAAAALLLLLLLLL!

I mean, yeah...it's annoying to be hearing it as the opposing team. But still amusing nonetheless.

Everybody knows if we did that in our arena, you'd be right alongside yelling it after every turnover and SC violation.

Instead we just get that guy who chirps "Spurs ball!" like some bad Sega Genesis sound byte.

Spurgal
what a RELIEF.

couldnt stand that guy.

especially when they run a close up shot of him while hes introducing the pistons.

He was one annoying Motherf*****!

HULKAROCK
06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
He was one annoying Motherf*****!

He's great. They do a great job in getting the fans involved. Last year, Indy copied the DEEETRoit Baassketball thing and replaced it with pAAACERS BASKETBall. Unoriginal. That stopped. Anyway... It's fun.

nkdlunch
06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Just trying to make the best of his 15 minutes of fame. He was aight.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 02:36 PM
In San Antonio de Bexar we just have our mascot get ejected. Makes for much more fun...

mavsfan1000
06-20-2005, 02:38 PM
He was great for pumping up the crowd. I think Detroit fed off the crowd to get their energy to win 2 games and should be 3 games.

Kori Ellis
This thread has been started like 10 times but I will put in my two cents anyway. I like him. If he was calling Spurs games, most of you would like him too. Their crowd really gets into it. And the intros are awesome.

SAtown
Stan Kelly is so much better than any of the PA announcers out there. Imagine if we had some idiot saying our player's names all shitty, with emphasis and stupid stuff like that. I like it simple, no need to exaggerate calling out people's names when they make a basket, cuz in the end, who looks like a fucking loser? >>> MASON & HIS SHITTY DEEEEEEETROIT BAAAAASKKKEETBALLLLLLL.
GO STAN KELLY GO

Kori Ellis
06-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Stan Kelly is so much better than any of the PA announcers out there. Imagine if we had some idiot saying our player's names all shitty, with emphasis and stupid stuff like that. I like it simple, no need to exaggerate calling out people's names when they make a basket, cuz in the end, who looks like a fucking loser? >>> MASON & HIS SHITTY DEEEEEEETROIT BAAAAASKKKEETBALLLLLLL.
GO STAN KELLY GO

Surprising viewpoint.

Most Spurs fans I know can't stand Stan Kelly.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm indifferent towards Kelly. My view is that the PA announcer should do the standard job of the lineups, announcement of fouls, who scored, etc...I don't need someone to tell me when to be hyped and get loud at a game.

Kori Ellis
06-20-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't need someone to tell me when to be hyped and get loud at a game.

Well the Spurs have that too. In the form of "Crazy Lou".

nkdlunch
06-20-2005, 02:44 PM
all this fancy announcers and hip hop blasting in today's arenas can never compare w/the classic organ music and announcers at Madison Square Garden, where they keep it real.

T Park
06-20-2005, 02:47 PM
id replace Crazy Lou with Mason.

NAAAZRR MO MO MO MO MO MO HAAAAAMed

who wouldn't love that?

Bandit2981
06-20-2005, 02:47 PM
i hate crazy lou...i want to hear stan kelly introduce them as the DEEETROIT PISS-PISS-PISSED - ONS!!! :smokin

nbascribe
06-20-2005, 02:49 PM
This is so funny...Every Mason hater knows damn well that they would love to have his seat, his paycheck and his 15 minutes of fame. Who are we kidding here?

And I know of one guy who is WAAAYYY better than Stan Kelly....he's Stan's back up and does the Silver Stars.....

tlongII
06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I think Mason is great. Detroit has the best intros since the Dynasty Bulls.

nbascribe
06-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Tlong you think seeing Ben Wallace in a thong and pigtails is great. Aren't the Trailblazers playing in the FIBA Asian Games or something???

FromWayDowntown
06-20-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm ambivalent about Mason. The cat has definitely got a flair that is unrivaled, and there's something fresh about that. But at the same time, I think he can occasionally get, um, disrespectful with his pronounciations of visiting players' names. I recall during the First Round, he referred to Philadelphia's leading scorer as

Allen I(pause, pause)verson, really emphasizing the "I" and, in my opinion, suggesting that Allen is a selfish player who should be ridiculed for being that guy. It's probably just me, but that seemed bush.

whottt
06-20-2005, 03:16 PM
I like Mason and think he kicks ass...

Deeeeeeeeeeetroit Baaaaaaaaaaaasketball is supposed to annoy the hell out of opposing teams and fans IMO...it works.

Still...I am not going to rip on Stan Kelly...True, I don't like his voice....

but I've gotten used to that nasally drone that sounds like a cross between a guy losing his voice and holding back tears...it has good memories associated with it now...

It's an aquired taste I guess...

Every thing about the Spurs intros and pregame is very homogenized...I guess it's fits the teams image though...as long as they keep kicking peoples ass it's ok. It's fun and an interesting change of pace watching thugs and ballas get owned by the choirboys for a change....

Only in San Antonio.

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 03:19 PM
I miss Pat Tallman. :depressed

tlongII
06-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Tlong you think seeing Ben Wallace in a thong and pigtails is great. Aren't the Trailblazers playing in the FIBA Asian Games or something???

Sorry, but I have no interest in seeing Ben Wallace in a thong. Unlike you, I am not gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that. If we were playing in the FIBA Asian Games we would surely win it.

SFSpursFan
06-20-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't mind Stan Kelly, but I don't attend many Spurs games during the year. I do like his "DEEEEFENSE" calls when the opposing team inbounds the ball.

Mason is cheesy, but effective. But also not San Antonio's style...

SoundTheToll
06-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Just trying to make the best of his 15 minutes of fame. He was aight.

Actually, Mason has been doing it for years. He's only got the nat'l pub in the last two years. He's a radio host here in Detroit. That how he got the PA gig when the guy before him retired. He's fun, I just don't like it when people imitate him. It seems like everyone on TV in Detroit feels the need to imitate him, and they all suck at it.

T Park
06-20-2005, 03:30 PM
But also not San Antonio's style...

Prob time start changing our style.

SoundTheToll
06-20-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm ambivalent about Mason. The cat has definitely got a flair that is unrivaled, and there's something fresh about that. But at the same time, I think he can occasionally get, um, disrespectful with his pronounciations of visiting players' names. I recall during the First Round, he referred to Philadelphia's leading scorer as

Allen I(pause, pause)verson, really emphasizing the "I" and, in my opinion, suggesting that Allen is a selfish player who should be ridiculed for being that guy. It's probably just me, but that seemed bush.

No he does it for everyone one. Didn't you notice him introducing Tony Parker: Tony Par-ka. I think its kinda cool. Must announcers just say the opposing players name as blandly as they can. Mason adds a little flair/dramatic pause to it.

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 03:32 PM
GO STAN KELLY GOUmmm... Stan Kelly screams during player intros as well. The difference is that his voice does this mix between a puberty squeak and the warble of an 80-year-old with a faulty pacemaker.

He yells, "Help 'em out!" "2 minutes, 2 minutes left in the quarter," "DEEEE-FENSE!!!" and of course, the famously stupid, oft-mocked "HEEERRRREEE COME THE SPURRRRRRRS!"

And he does it all sounding like Janice from Friends.

I'm not saying the Spurs need something like Mason. But Stan Kelly is astoundingly lame.

nkdlunch
06-20-2005, 03:33 PM
If we were playing in the FIBA Asian Games we would surely win it.

He meant playing basketball, not who can roll a joint and smoke it faster

jcrod
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't care one way or the other. I did think it was cheesy for ABC to show his mug while the introductions was going on though.

SAtown
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
If the Spurs wanted a clown announcing players' names, then they would hire a clown. Until then, you'll have to deal with Stan Kelly, which is no big deal cuz he's been with us forever.
Anyways, since when do we have to do what other people are doing? As long as we win championships, have a classy team to watch, and have unbelievable consitency, who really gives a damn who is saying our player's names and how he is saying them?

Gatita
06-20-2005, 04:11 PM
The only thing I detested about the guy was the way he said Michigan. Good lord, he sounded worse then a mojado who just crossed. :lol

Extra Stout
06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
The only thing I detested about the guy was the way he said Michigan. Good lord, he sounded worse then a mojado who just crossed. :lolThat "MEEEEEE-chigan" thing apparently is something a lot of folks do up there. Especially in Ann Arbor.

FromWayDowntown
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
The only thing I detested about the guy was the way he said Michigan. Good lord, he sounded worse then a mojado who just crossed. :lol

Well, that whole MEEEchigan thing is rampant in that area. As I understand the story, the first great football coach at the University of Michigan, Fielding Yost, was a southerner who had a thick accent and pronounced the state's name as Meeechigan by virtue of his accent.

It would have been forgotten, except that a man who broadcast Michigan football games for years, Bob Ufer, was a big fan of Yost's and adopted the pronunciation during his broadcasts. So, several generations of University of Michigan fans grew up hearing Ufer say Meeechigan, and it stuck.

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Good lord, he sounded worse then a mojado who just crossed.

:lmao

You may have to explain that to some of our Northern visitors. :)

tlongII
06-20-2005, 04:46 PM
:lmao

You may have to explain that to some of our Northern visitors. :)

Yes. I get lost when Gatita starts speaking latina.

Hook Dem
06-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I miss Pat Tallman. :depressed
Ahhh Yesssss .....Pat Tallman...."they can make it with a little help from their friends". :lol I was there!

MadDog73
06-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Ummm... Stan Kelly screams during player intros as well. The difference is that his voice does this mix between a puberty squeak and the warble of an 80-year-old with a faulty pacemaker.

He yells, "Help 'em out!" "2 minutes, 2 minutes left in the quarter," "DEEEE-FENSE!!!" and of course, the famously stupid, oft-mocked "HEEERRRREEE COME THE SPURRRRRRRS!"

And he does it all sounding like Janice from Friends.

I'm not saying the Spurs need something like Mason. But Stan Kelly is astoundingly lame.

But how can you not like the classic: Spurs Ball. SPURS BALL!!!

(just in case we didn't catch it the first time. Actually, I like it!)

samikeyp
06-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Prob time start changing our style.

why?

Tek_XX
06-20-2005, 05:18 PM
If the Announcer had anything to do with winning games the spurs would do something about it.

T Park
06-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Why??

Cause times change.

Update to the times.

Ill be the first to admit it, You go to a game for just the basketall?? Its great.

But if you go for the OVERALL experience??

it stinks.

Crazy Lou is a complete joke, every night i literally wish Chris Duel would come stompin back.

Beaverfuzz
06-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Introducing players and stuttering is ok. But when you're stuttering the guy's name while he's shooting a free throw in the 1st quarter, it's gone into ludicrous.

BTW, what's up with introducing each player like it's game 1? I understand games 1, 3, and maybe 6 but that's it. I like Stevie Wonder as much as the next guy, but just have him do the national anthem instead of delaying the game for 5-10 min.

There's a reason why people are tuning out the NBA in droves, trying to glamour up using outside help instead of taking care of the problems in the league is only going to drag the NBA farther down than it already is.

SpursWoman
06-20-2005, 05:51 PM

User & I were talking about that the other day amidst all the Stan-bashing. We like that one, too.... :lol

Gatita
06-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Yes. I get lost when Gatita starts speaking latina.

Your such a tool. There's no such thing as speaking latina. :lol

Gatita
06-20-2005, 05:57 PM
That "MEEEEEE-chigan" thing apparently is something a lot of folks do up there. Especially in Ann Arbor.

Pinche mojados. :lol

tlongII
06-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Pinche mojados. :lol

What is the english translation of that latina phrase?

Brandon361
06-20-2005, 06:23 PM
i love the way he would announce Ben Wallace ... BABABABABABABBABABEEEN WALLACE!!!

N.Y. Johnny
06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Well the Spurs have that too. In the form of "Crazy Lou".

Those people that he goes up to see in the Upper Deck during games should take that twerp and throw him over the balcony.

E20
06-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Mason is pretty cool. I wish he was the announcer for the Spurs. Most Spurs fans are jealous because the Detroit intro is pretty cool. Even though they are smashing a Spurs logo, it's pretty cool when the starters say: It's time Detroit.

Boo
06-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Especailly THE BABABABILLUPS.. *CHEEKS FLOPPING*

Shelly
06-20-2005, 07:32 PM

but I've gotten used to that nasally drone that sounds like a cross between a guy losing his voice and holding back tears...it has good memories associated with it now...

:lmao That's the PERFECT description!

Nails on a chalkboard would be better than Crazy Lou. I noticed he cut that mop.

SenorSpur
06-20-2005, 07:52 PM
BTW his first name is John - I believe

SoundTheToll
06-20-2005, 08:02 PM
BTW his first name is John - I believe

Yeah. He really isn't a "one-name" guy, like, say, Madonna. It's just that everyone calls him, simply, Mason from his radio show.

HB22inSA
06-20-2005, 09:37 PM
You can't tell me you didn't love it when he introduced Tony Parker...

"The 6'2" San Antonio guard, from Paris, France, Tony Paawkaa..."

Uncle_Rico
06-20-2005, 09:42 PM
I dont mind the announcer, sounds cool. at least it livins it up. shit, sbc center could use that because that damn song is played out. the intro has got to go.

i just dont want to hear DEEEETROIT BAAAAASSSSSKETBALL. that's fucking gay, just like those championship belts. detroit you can keep those. make sign that says if you have a nba champ belt, you're gay.

iflyabeech
06-20-2005, 09:49 PM
I would rather hear "here come the spurs!" than anything out of that Mason guy's mouth. he should be taken out back and whipped!

Willinsa
06-20-2005, 10:04 PM
GO STAN KELLY GO

You have got to be kidding Stan Kelly sucks ass, he sounds like a dumbass when he says" Spurs ball" about 4 times over. Also I hate it when he says "They need your help". Stan Kelly should be fired.

theMUHMEshow
06-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Its too bad you dont know John Masons real story. He was the first african american to have a #1 rated morning show in Detroit, and he has set standards in todays radio that are almost untouchable for anyone to achieve. He is an icon in Detroit and has been for years. He took a primarly urban station and made it mainstream to a metro area that is made up of upper class primarly white people.

I can see where you are coming from on everything on your list, accept for that.

JustSpurs
06-21-2005, 12:04 AM
If you need a lame P.A. guy to get you excited for a Finals game, there is something wrong. Besides....we don't have "Ballaz" as Mason says. We have a classy team...we don't need street cred to pump-up the crowd.

E20
06-21-2005, 12:07 AM
On Rasheed's intro, it's pretty cool how he pounds his chest. :smokin

Experiment2100
06-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Those people that he goes up to see in the Upper Deck during games should take that twerp and throw him over the balcony.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like that guy.

Clandestino
06-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Crazy Lou abso-fucking-lutely sucks! He is so annoying.

Experiment2100
06-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Its too bad you dont know John Masons real story. He was the first african american to have a #1 rated morning show in Detroit, and he has set standards in todays radio that are almost untouchable for anyone to achieve. He is an icon in Detroit and has been for years. He took a primarly urban station and made it mainstream to a metro area that is made up of upper class primarly white people.

I can see where you are coming from on everything on your list, accept for that.

That's coming from someone who doesn't know Stan Kelly's story. He was born here and got a sweet job. There's some stuff in betweeen, but it is a matter of legend.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-21-2005, 12:31 AM
What is the english translation of that latina phrase?

The translation is "I can't speak Mexican Spanish".

SFSpursFan
06-21-2005, 02:24 AM

I like this one too... most of the time, I think Stan only says it twice.

I also think he stopped saying "Give 'em some help". I don't remember hearing it at all this year.