PDA

View Full Version : America's best BBQ cities

ididnotnothat
03-14-2012, 08:31 PM
http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/america-s-best-bbq-cities.html

Two Texas Cities made the list!?!?!

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/gJxPzceHqTDA6rDIbkjylA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/153/2012/02/29/st-louis-bbq-jpg_222612.jpg

This list just ain't righ...or is it?

Creepn
03-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Honestly, best BBQ I had was from those little trailers that mexicans use to sell burritos out of. Black people use it to sell BBQ.

baseline bum
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
They should have probably lumped Luling in with Lockhart, since it's like a 15 minute drive between the towns and since City Market is every bit as good (and probably better) than anything in Lockhart. They should have mentioned Black's too in Lockhart. Pretty amazing to have 4 world-class BBQ joints so close together (City Market, Smitty's, Kreuz, Black's).

baseline bum
03-14-2012, 08:43 PM
LOL @ those yahoo morons claiming Rudy's is good; Rudy's is shit.

ididnotnothat
03-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Luling is da bomb!!

shyne
03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I had Texas pride the other day, it was pretty good brisket.

baseline bum
03-14-2012, 09:02 PM

I wasn't impressed at all by that place.

Frenzy
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Same here and it was dead :lol

Agloco
03-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Crap......wrong thread to read at 10pm. Gonna hit Kreutzs on my way back.

Best BBQ joint in SA is my backyard tbh.

cantthinkofanything
03-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Pat G's in the backwoods of East Texas. That be the shit.

leemajors
03-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Black's is bottom tier in Lockhart tbh, keep it off. I would rather skip through without stopping than go there.

Capt Bringdown
03-15-2012, 03:55 AM
I reckon if you grew up on Texas BBQ, anything else is an acquired taste. Southern & Midwestern BBQ ain't for me.

lefty
03-15-2012, 08:40 AM
lol fat people

Sportcamper
03-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Nothing compares to what Texans can do to a brisket…Slow mesquite smoking a terrible cut of beef is an art that few can master…

Viva Las Espuelas
03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Pffffff. Best BBQ in Austin??? Instant credibility dismissal for me.

Has anyone made a trek out to Snow's BBQ one Saturday in Lexington? Really want to try it.

101A
03-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Nothing compares to what Texans can do to a brisket…Slow mesquite smoking a terrible cut of beef is an art that few can master…

This.

I moved up to Pa in '05. We started having a New Year's party in '08 - I put some brisket out (I make a better than average by Texas standards, but nothing other-worldly) - but THAT just blew our guests away.

Now, every year, I raffle off a smoked brisket to our guests at 11:45 on NYE to benefit a local food bank/charity. I raise over $600 each year; Yankees paying $20 - $60 for a CHANCE at winning my (above average) brisket!

leemajors
03-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Has anyone made a trek out to Snow's BBQ one Saturday in Lexington? Really want to try it.

Yup. It's great - you can order by phone in advance and show up at like 10 if you want. This is by far my preferred way.

101A
03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I like ribs, but keep that pulled shoulder/picnic away. Not a big fan of the sweet pork bbq.

bus driver
03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
hhttp://rustybucketbbq.com/

went to this place this week and i enjoyed it. good food

Drachen
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
This.

I moved up to Pa in '05. We started having a New Year's party in '08 - I put some brisket out (I make a better than average by Texas standards, but nothing other-worldly) - but THAT just blew our guests away.

Now, every year, I raffle off a smoked brisket to our guests at 11:45 on NYE to benefit a local food bank/charity. I raise over $600 each year; Yankees paying $20 - $60 for a CHANCE at winning my (above average) brisket!

My uncle had a similar experience. He threw the greatest July 4th parties every year, then he moved up to Concord, MA (yes, he is the "rich" uncle). The next July 4th, he decided to continue his tradition of throwing his parties, but when he went to the store, I realized that there were NO briskets, and no one knew what it was. He was bummed until my grandfather and grandmother decided to come visit for July 4th. My grandfather went to the PX on base, grabbed a bunch of brisket, and pushed my uncle aside and said that he was going to make the brisket for all of these northerners (my uncle was too happy to oblige, he could make a good brisket, but nothing compared to my grandfather). Well, I am sure you can figure out the rest considering your own experience. (every one freaked out by this ridiculous tasting ambrosia from the gods - LOL)

(BTW, I imagine you can get brisket around there now, but this was in '87)

CosmicCowboy
03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I like ribs, but keep that pulled shoulder/picnic away. Not a big fan of the sweet pork bbq.

It doesn't have to be sweet. I'll just shred the shoulders after smoking them and not add any sauce. Then when we make sandwiches folks can add whatever they want. I like a little Austins Own BBQ (a spicy vinegar sauce) on the bun and a liberal application of El Yucateco on the meat with some coleslaw.

CosmicCowboy
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
And yeah, putting Rudy's on this list blows any credibility they might have had.

cantthinkofanything
03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
And yeah, putting Rudy's on this list blows any credibility they might have had.

Wise man say, "only go to Rudy's if you want gas"

baseline bum
03-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Shit blows me away how Rudy's is always mentioned in these lists like it's some kind of legend. I remember seeing a show on the Food Network where they were supposedly profiling the best BBQ places all around the nation, so when they come to South/Central Texas do they go to City Market, Smitty's, Kreuz, Louie Mueller, Black's, or Snow's? No, fucking Rudy's in Leon Valley. Rudy's isn't even average; it's just bad.

leemajors
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Shit blows me away how Rudy's is always mentioned in these lists like it's some kind of legend. I remember seeing a show on the Food Network where they were supposedly profiling the best BBQ places all around the nation, so when they come to South/Central Texas do they go to City Market, Smitty's, Kreuz, Louie Mueller, Black's, or Snow's? No, fucking Rudy's in Leon Valley. Rudy's isn't even average; it's just bad.

I feel the same about Salt Lick.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Wise man say, "only go to Rudy's if you want gas"

Or sweet tea.

Oh and their breakfast tacos suck. Papa's BBQ ambassador waaayyy better breakfast tacos considering they're coming from a BBQ place.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Salt Lick? You dont like them? I was gonna ask if anyone cared for that place. I went after I saw them ok TV and it looked good. The smell of the pit area is amazing but I thought their stuff was so so. Definitely a different style of BBQ sauce but it was edible.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Hell. I think Spring Creek BBQ is better than Rudy's.

cantthinkofanything
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Hell. I think Spring Creek BBQ is better than Rudy's.

There is nothing wrong with Spring Creek in a bind. Their rolls go a long way to make up for the price.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah. I think they're pretty good for a chain. The tea rawks.

leemajors
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Salt Lick? You dont like them? I was gonna ask if anyone cared for that place. I went after I saw them ok TV and it looked good. The smell of the pit area is amazing but I thought their stuff was so so. Definitely a different style of BBQ sauce but it was edible.

They have some great sauces, but it's almost a necessity to put it on the brisket cause it's so damn dry.

CubanMustGo
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Rudy's is fucking crap and their faux-rustic approach drives me crazy. And their sides totally suck. Yet the herds go there, day after day.

Salt Lick was really, really good back in the day; the one in Round Rock off US 79 doesn't live up to the original and we haven't been to the one in Spicewood for like a decade.

I have heard nothing but great things about Franklin's but haven't had half a day to shoot waiting in line to go. Was thinking about tomorrow but with all the SXSW types in town the line will probably be 2x as long as normal.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Rudy's is fucking crap and their faux-rustic approach drives me crazy. And their sides totally suck. Yet the herds go there, day after day.

Salt Lick was really, really good back in the day; the one in Round Rock off US 79 doesn't live up to the original and we haven't been to the one in Spicewood for like a decade.

I have heard nothing but great things about Franklin's but haven't had half a day to shoot waiting in line to go. Was thinking about tomorrow but with all the SXSW types in town the line will probably be 2x as long as normal.

Ah. I didn't know the one off 79 wasn't the original.

Oh and SXSW :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
… the brisket……so damn dry.
That's a sin. And there's really no secret to cook one right. Just need to know how to manage a fire and tell time.

DesignatedT
03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Best BBQ in Texas = Coopers in Llano and Snow's in Lexington. Everything else is 2nd.

CosmicCowboy
03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Best BBQ in Texas = Coopers in Llano and Snow's in Lexington. Everything else is 2nd.

negative...mine is best.

DesignatedT
03-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Send me some recipes.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
:lol they're not obvious enough????

leemajors
03-16-2012, 05:15 PM

If we're talking blackberry cobbler, Coopers is tops. My fave is easily City Market in Luling, but Snow's has the best brisket.

101A
03-19-2012, 10:24 AM
(BTW, I imagine you can get brisket around there now, but this was in '87)

True Story: COULD NOT get it when I moved here in '05 - wrote a letter to Wal Mart in Arkansas in '07 - have carried them ever since (but at $2.49 a lb! :greedy)

Drachen
03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
True Story: COULD NOT get it when I moved here in '05 - wrote a letter to Wal Mart in Arkansas in '07 - have carried them ever since (but at $2.49 a lb! :greedy)

Wow, so even in this day and age, the entire country cannot get brisket. WTF?

I guess it makes sense, though. Many of them would be ill equipped with their little hot dog grills, I would imagine. (stereo type.... I know)

baseline bum
03-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Black's is bottom tier in Lockhart tbh, keep it off. I would rather skip through without stopping than go there.

I was pretty impressed in the couple time I have been to Black's. What do you think of Chisholm Trail? Everyone who lives in the area tells me it's their favorite.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Well, I made the trek to Black's this weekend. Pretty good. I had the giant beef rib and wow was that good. I liked it more than their brisket. Couldn't even eat a whole one.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
How's that Lockhart BBQ place on the road going through luling and Lockhart. Its always busy.

marini martini
03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I was pretty impressed in the couple time I have been to Black's. What do you think of Chisholm Trail? Everyone who lives in the area tells me it's their favorite.

How's that Lockhart BBQ place on the road going through luling and Lockhart. Its always busy.

Chisholm Trail is my personal favorite in Lockhart, and apparently all the locals, too. So let's just keep it hush, hush lest all the SXSW types start invading the place.

But Coopers in Llano is the top #1!!!

Jeff Leppard
03-26-2012, 10:44 PM

Wrong, dummy. Live Oak BBQ & Beer is badass.

lol people in San Antonio talking shit about Austin.