PDA

View Full Version : The price US tax payers pay for pot prisoners

Big Empty
03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
There are about 2.75 million people locked up in the United States. Pot prisoners make up about 12.5% of the inmate population. It cost between 40-47K a year to lock up one prisoner. So this being said, it cost about $13,750,000,000.00 a year to lock up someone for something as petty as pot. Thats not counting how much it may cost tax payers for the state to prosecute. Im just shooting from the hip here with quick research I've seen a figure of just 1 billion a year which doesnt add up. But what are your thoughts? Yes im somewhat siding the tha hippies here on this one I personally dont smoke much. But I do toke every now and again and I just dont see any harm and foul with it like I do with lab drugs.

RandomGuy
03-15-2012, 08:04 AM
There are about 2.75 million people locked up in the United States. Pot prisoners make up about 12.5% of the inmate population. It cost between 40-47K a year to lock up one prisoner. So this being said, it cost about $13,750,000,000.00 a year to lock up someone for something as petty as pot. Thats not counting how much it may cost tax payers for the state to prosecute. Im just shooting from the hip here with quick research I've seen a figure of just 1 billion a year which doesnt add up. But what are your thoughts? Yes im somewhat siding the tha hippies here on this one I personally dont smoke much. But I do toke every now and again and I just dont see any harm and foul with it like I do with lab drugs.

The court costs are probably a bit higher than that.

Judge + city/county jail + prosecutor + defense attorney + bailiffs + court overhead (clerks, electricity, etc)

That stuff ain't cheap. If you have a trial of any length (probably very infrequent) you can easily rack up a million or so if one considers the full economic costs.

But that is my gut feeling on it. Be interesting to do an 'envelope' calculation.

Wild Cobra
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Now I disagree with MJ being illegal, but most states are lenient with it. I'll bet the majority of those in jail for more than a few months also had some unregistered or illegal weapons as well. maybe posed a threat to law enforcement or others.

coyotes_geek
03-15-2012, 08:29 AM
At a bare minimum I would hope that those opposed to legalizing pot would at least acknowledge what a waste of taxpayer resources it is to lock up people for nothing more than possession and use. Let's at least stop feeling compelled to provide room & board to every stoner we catch and then we can continue the debate about whether society is better served by hitting simple drug users up with fines, or just legalizing it all together.

spursncowboys
03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Now I disagree with MJ being illegal, but most states are lenient with it. I'll bet the majority of those in jail for more than a few months also had some unregistered or illegal weapons as well. maybe posed a threat to law enforcement or others.
I agree that there is probably more to the cases. unless they have large amounts, no one is going to PRISON for a bag of weed.