PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Magic - Mar. 14

timvp
03-15-2012, 01:19 AM
If you love offense and aren't a stickler for solid defense, you had a blast watching the Spurs and Magic on Wednesday night. Both teams excelled on the offensive end with a lot of beautiful basketball on display. In the end, the Spurs excelled just a little bit more in the 122-111 victory at the AT&T Center.

Early on, the Magic built a 10-point lead but the Spurs quickly erased their deficit and led 36-35 after the first quarter. The second quarter featured a lot of back and forth action but neither team gained any traction. After halftime, the Magic came out on a 10-3 run to take a six point lead. Following a timeout, San Antonio made a run of their own -- outscoring the Magic 27-16 the rest of the quarter.

In the final period, Hedo Turkoglu hit a three-pointer with 8:22 remaining to give the Magic a one-point lead. But then, the game turned into the Tony Parker Show. In the final 8 minutes of the contest, the star point guard scored 16 points amid cheers of "M-V-P! M-V-P!"

Despite the fact that Orlando shot 52.3% from the field at least partly due to shaky defense by the home team, I thought this was a good win. The Magic are playing their best basketball of the season, having just defeated the Bulls, Pacers and Heat -- arguably the three best teams in the East. Let's hope the Spurs offense continues to produce at this rate when they head out onto the road for a back-to-back that starts in Oklahoma City and ends in Dallas.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/30sg0o5.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/obgp.jpg

Tim Duncan A+
Lost in Tony Parker's outing was a fantastic game by Tim Duncan. Duncan got very little help in defending Dwight Howard and he played the young superstar to a draw. Committing only one foul in his 31 minutes, Duncan was extremely strong in his post defense and was even better at boxing out Orlando's behemoth. On the offensive end, he did a much better job than usual at blending in and not needlessly dominating possessions. Duncan was doing all the little things -- running the court, rebounding on both ends, making smart passes -- and don't look now but #21 doesn't have a turnover in his last 96 minutes of action.

Manu Ginobili A-
Following an injury scare last game, Manu Ginobili was able to play -- off the bench, this time. Offensively, Ginobili was great once again. In addition to knocking down four three-pointers, he turned back the clock and finished a drive with a dunk. Ginobili's passing was brilliant and his floor game was nearly flawless. Defensively, while not at his normal level yet, he was much, much, much improved from his last two outings. He was rotating better and closed out relatively well on shooters. Ginobili's overall energy and athleticism appeared to be improved tonight. Now if he can just string together some healthy games; it's exciting to think how good he'll look once he's back at 100%.

Tony Parker A
While Tony Parker's MVP resume is unlikely to surpass those of players like LeBron James and Kevin Durant, I was proud of the San Antonio crowd for showing their appreciation for the work put in by Parker. For the third straight game, he finished with more than 30 points and he's now 54-85 (63.5%) from the floor over his last five outings. In addition to his scoring, Parker also dished out 12 assists as he conducted the offense perfectly all night. With him running the show, the Spurs had very few lulls and seemed to always get good shots. The only blemish on Parker's otherwise pristine night was his early defense on Jameer Nelson. Parker didn't close out well in the first quarter and Nelson remained hot for much of the game. But to Parker's credit, Nelson was only 1-for-4 in the fourth quarter as the Frenchman was dominating the game on the other end.

Richard Jefferson C+
In the first half, Richard Jefferson's pathetic play was worth an F. In the second half, Jefferson stunned everyone by playing A level basketball. So let's go ahead and give him a C+ for the night. In the first two quarters, Jefferson was horrible on the defensive end and a liability on offense. Coming out of halftime, I couldn't wait for Jefferson to get benched. But then a funny thing happened on the way to the pine: Jefferson began to thrive. It started with him drawing a foul on a drive to the basket. He then knocked down a couple threes, made a couple quality passes off the dribble and began to really play aggressive on both ends of the court. If Jefferson could bottle his second half play, the Spurs would be thrilled with him going forward.

Danny Green D
With Pop sending Ginobili back to the bench, Danny Green started tonight. But honestly, Green is showing very little reason to give him any minutes … much less a start. Since the All-Star break, Green has a plus/minus of -33, easily the worst mark on the team. Compared to his play earlier in the season, he just isn't playing with nearly as much tenacity or ferocity. Against the Magic, it was more of the same out of Green. His stats don't look bad but he's just not a useful player unless he's flying around the court wreaking havoc and making plays. I'm not sure if he's in a funk, if he's injured or if he's just tired … but let's hope he turns it around sooner rather than later.

DeJuan Blair C-
In the first few minutes of the game, DeJuan Blair seemed to hurt himself trying to do an up-and-under move. He limped to the bench but eventually returned to the game. However, Blair just wasn't very good after the injury. Defensively, he was rotating slow -- and that's especially deadly against this sharpshooting Magic squad. Blair also wasn't rebounding, which always kills his value to the team. The only thing of note was Blair dunking for the first time this season. Congrats, I guess.

Kawhi Leonard A
The growth of Kawhi Leonard continues. His main weakness as a player during his rookie season has been the fact that he bogs down the offense when he's on the court. But tonight, that was absolutely not the case. In his 31 minutes on the court, the Spurs poured in 88 points -- and a lot of it had to do with Leonard's play. He confidently nailed a pair of three-pointers and made a few other great cuts to the basket. Leonard ran the court to occupy Magic defenders and made heady decisions when it came to his passing and overall decision making. Defensively, Leonard did a lot of good. There were some blunders mixed in but his activity level and anticipation were definitely assets. All told, Leonard posted a career-high plus/minus of +19 and he's now +34 in his last two games. Pop is going to have a difficult time keeping him off the court if he's consistently such a difference-maker.

Matt Bonner C-
Offensively, Matt Bonner didn't get many open looks. And while he's usually good about making quick decisions, he was holding onto the ball more than usual tonight. On defense, Bonner not doing well enough out on the perimeter guarding their shooters led Pop to go small. And even when the action came to him, Bonner's defense was forgettable. Other than some defensive boards, nothing was really going right for the eventual Canadian citizen.

Tiago Splitter A-
Though Tiago Splitter didn't do quite as well on Howard as Duncan did, the Brazilian was pretty darn impressive in his own right. He made a few mistakes here and there but Splitter basically held him in check. Additionally, Splitter's help defense was really good and his rotations were crisp. Offensively, his efficiency remains impressive. When he's going good, Splitter just doesn't miss a lot of shots. He's elite in the pick-and-roll no matter who he's running it with. I also liked the toughness he showed when battling on the offensive glass.

Gary Neal B
Gary Neal's second game as the full-time backup point guard was again ugly … but again very effective. It's actually humorous how he seems to barely be able to hang onto his dribble and then he unleashes a great pass out of nowhere or converts on a difficult attempt. Neal took care of the basketball, wisely let Ginobili take his turns running the show and included Splitter in the proceedings. We'll see if it lasts but Neal's play at point guard has been surprisingly effective in recent weeks. Tonight, he slid over to shooting guard for some minutes next to Parker and did so seamlessly. However, no matter what position he plays, Neal is somewhere between "below average" and "bad" on defense.

Pop B+
Pop mostly made the right calls. Although, putting Green in the starting lineup didn't really work. And Anderson's token minutes don't really make sense to me. But otherwise, Pop pulled the right strings. He kept drawing up plays for Jefferson and that eventually helped get him going. I didn't love small ball but it was undeniably effective, especially in the second half. Pop's gameplan against Howard was great and he made good use of both Duncan and Splitter in executing it. I also liked that he allowed Leonard to play extended minutes. Looking forward, Pop usually likes to cement his rotation after the trade deadline so let's see if he shortens it a bit during the quick two-game road trip.

Hoops Czar
03-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Couldn't agree more with your take on Green. If D stands for D-league, then I'm on board. Otherwise, it might be a little high.

blkroadrunners
03-15-2012, 01:30 AM
I can't remember the last time timvp gave the Spurs' big 3 at least an A-.

Thanks for the write-up :tu

Russ
03-15-2012, 01:31 AM
When's the last time the big three combined for 66 points? :)

A year ago? Two?

A's all the way across.

TDomination
03-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the grades!

I was there and the MVP chants gave me chills. Though I wish i had recorded the game, I want to hear how it sounded on the tv.

HarlemHeat37
03-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Best grades going to Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Leonard and Splitter..let's hope that's foreshadowing..

angelbelow
03-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the grades.

jjktkk
03-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the writeup Tim. :tu

Thomas82
03-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Even though Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard had similar numbers, I feel like TD outplayed Dwight. Yeah Dwight had 22 and 12, but he got a good chunk of that while TD was on the bench.

Proxy
03-15-2012, 01:47 AM
One of my favorite offensive outputs this season... reason being, Matt didn't have to go 7-7 beyond the arc for us to win. It's good to see the big three, Tiago, and Kawhi play well.

ElNono
03-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Thanks! I'm just really concerned with the D since the AllStar break. This is all fun to watch and all, but so was SSOL... I was hoping Pop would lit a fire on some of their asses at the half, but not much changed. Surprising that this team seemingly played so much better D in the first half of the season and now have regressed so much.

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoyed the win against a tough opponent, but at the end of the day I didn't feel this win was building something towards the playoffs.

As far as individual players, Kawhi should definitely get 30mpg from here on out if he keeps playing like today, and I thought Tiago was fantastic bodying Dwight up. He seemingly is a lot stronger than he looks. Tim and Tony had a great game too.

therealtruth
03-15-2012, 01:58 AM
If all it took for Pop to get more out of RJ was drawing up plays for him. Why doesn't he do it more?

Splitter's accurate scoring and easy baskets are going to be huge in the playoffs when it becomes much harder to score. Let's hope Pop makes the adjustment so they can maximize that for the playoffs. I have more faith in Tiago's pick and roll/low post game than Bonner's ability to spread the floor in the playoffs.

jesterbobman
03-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Just to point out the ridiculousness of Kawhi: Over the last Month, He's posted a WP48 of .418.

That's mental.

http://nba.nerdnumbers.com/splits?team=San+Antonio+Spurs&from=02%2F14%2F2012&to=03%2F14%2F2012

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-15-2012, 02:16 AM
Must have been one of the games of the season with the lowest number of total turnovers - 12 for both teams combined.

SamoanTD
03-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Big 3 in full effect tonight

Manu-of-steel
03-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Thanks! I'm just really concerned with the D since the AllStar break. This is all fun to watch and all, but so was SSOL... I was hoping Pop would lit a fire on some of their asses at the half, but not much changed. Surprising that this team seemingly played so much better D in the first half of the season and now have regressed so much.

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoyed the win against a tough opponent, but at the end of the day I didn't feel this win was building something towards the playoffs.

As far as individual players, Kawhi should definitely get 30mpg from here on out if he keeps playing like today, and I thought Tiago was fantastic bodying Dwight up. He seemingly is a lot stronger than he looks. Tim and Tony had a great game too.

The D was bad in this game. Could it be because the focus of the spurs, especially in this game is to get the magic in a SSOL offense? This is the 2nd of a b2b for magic, and they have just defeated powerhouse teams of pacers,and heat. Just my opinion.

Manu-of-steel
03-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the grades, timvp. Nice read, as always.

Hooks
03-15-2012, 03:23 AM
Was the spurs d really that bad? I didn't watch the game so idk. Or was it just a case of scrubs catching fire against the spurs like they almost always do.

buttsR4rebounding
03-15-2012, 03:43 AM
Even though Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard had similar numbers, I feel like TD outplayed Dwight. Yeah Dwight had 22 and 12, but he got a good chunk of that while TD was on the bench.

Couldn't agree more. Duncan's production came in 31 minutes vs. Howard's 39. Howard took 16 shots vs. Tim's 12.

benefactor
03-15-2012, 07:00 AM
I've never been one to vote for small ball, but if it comes down to Leonard playing the 4 over Bonner late in games I take it every single time. If the Spurs aren't going to trade for a legit 4 this is really the only option that could lead to success.

kjhip1
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
DeJuan Blair C-
The only thing of note was Blair dunking for the first time this season. Congrats, I guess :lol

ManuTastic
03-15-2012, 07:12 AM
It's almost like the Big 3 + Splitter +Leonard should be the starting and closing lineup...

... nah...

bklynspursfan
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Nice write up as usual. I just noticed we only had 6 turnovers all game. Putting up 122 points and only 6 turnovers? Pretty efficient. And out rebounding them was also a plus. Defense still needs to tighten up, but found those to be interesting stats.

Russ
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
It's almost like the Big 3 + Splitter +Leonard should be the starting and closing lineup...

... nah...

And Bonner only took 2 of the 26 three-point attempts for a total of three points.

All the players the Spurs will need to win playoff games came up big.

Now I'm just waiting for something bad to happen.

urunobili
03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
I wonder how the team would react to having Anderson take Danny's minutes for a couple of games to see if he gets out of his dry 3 point spell...

xellos88330
03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Now if only RJ can become consistent with his attacking the paint...

letmk
03-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Last night was the first time Tim defends an elite low-post scorer (let alone Howard) one-on-one pretty well in a long time. In comparison, Tiago still has a long way to go.

Old School 44
03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the great write-up again!

Great to see the big three rolling. Even though it wasn't a spectacular play, I loved the fast break with Manu, Tim and Tony finishing.

Danny Green needs to go back to "floater/teardrop" class or stick to jump shooting! The first few times I saw him shoot it, I thought he just mishandled the ball, but after last nights game, I realized he just doesn't shoot it well. He almost looks like he's in Shawn Marion form.

Ditty
03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
I wonder how the team would react to having Anderson take Danny's minutes for a couple of games to see if he gets out of his dry 3 point spell...

I would be up for it, especially how I think Green, and Ford will probably be gone by the end of the day in a small trade.James Anderson finishes around the basket better, and has been playing as good or better defense then Green has been playing, and JA has been regarded as the better shooter. He also plays a lot better with members of the big 3 on the floor.

wildbill2u
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Nice writeup. Thanks are due as usual.

I got to watch some brief minutes on NBATV and some of the shots TP made were unbelieveable.

I'm sure LeBron and Rose are the front runners for MVP, but If the MVP award must go to a player who puts a team on his back in adversity and carries them to a great season, Parker would be the winner by a mile. I can't think of any other candidate who has had as much pressure on him to lead by example and come through like Tony.

Blake
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
The team as a whole gets an A on offense, C- on defense.

will_spurs
03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks! I'm just really concerned with the D since the AllStar break. This is all fun to watch and all, but so was SSOL...

I don't think the D was that bad overall. Actually looking at the last 3 quarters, the Magic were on pace for a 100-point game, on a night where some of their shooters could just throw the ball vaguely in the direction of the basket and it would go in. Plus Howard's little speech to boost everybody's morale.

The main issue here was the first quarter, and the bad start we got because Pop decides to start scrubs who boost the confidence of pretty much anybody on the opposing team.

It's important to see that Manu is, for all practical purposes, leading the starting unit (i.e. with the level of talent you'd expect from a starting unit) and Parker/Duncan are leading the bench (and a rather bad bench at that).

Just look at the +/- of all the players in the starting unit: all in negative, including Duncan who played very well, except Parker with +5 despite playing mindblowing basketball at this point.

+/- of bench in comparison is just ridiculous: Anderson the lowest with +6, 4 players at +10 or +11 and KL at +19.

It just shows that Parker and Duncan need exceptional showings to negate the black hole of Blair-RJ-Green.

Play KL and Splitter 30mpg and this is going to be a much different team!

I've never been one to vote for small ball, but if it comes down to Leonard playing the 4 over Bonner late in games I take it every single time. If the Spurs aren't going to trade for a legit 4 this is really the only option that could lead to success.

Playing Bonner at 4 is already playing smallball, basically, since Bonner plays like a guy a full foot smaller. Since KL is vastly more talented than Bonner, it's quite obvious that he is an upgrade in all circumstances.

Horse
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I felt like the ASG screwed up momentum and I think we're getting it back now. The D should follow. I like Danny Green and believe he can be helpful but that floater has gotta go. I like a tight game one way or the other against okc hopefully in our favor. And I feel a pounding coming for the faggericks.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
DeJuan Blair C-
In the first few minutes of the game, DeJuan Blair seemed to hurt himself trying to do an up-and-under move.

Seems like he was limping up the court before that awkward move. I'll go back and check.

BTW, isn't it nice that you never have to write that jeffer guy's name in postgame grades again?