PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rather to W.: "Answer the Questions Mr, Bush"

Nbadan
09-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Answer the Question Mr. Bush? Did You Skirt Your Guard Responsibilities?

snip

"With respect: answer the questions," said Dan Rather, the CBS News anchor. He was asking a direct question to President George W. Bush, his re-election campaign and his political allies in the press and on the Web. "We’ve heard what you have to say about the documents and what you’ve said and what your surrogates have said, but for the moment, answer the questions.

Mr. Rather said that he was sure that the credibility of CBS News would hold up after the memo scandal had passed.

"I think over the long haul, this will be consistent with our history and our traditions and reputation," he said. "We took heat during the McCarthy time, during Vietnam, during civil rights, during Watergate. We haven’t always been right, but our record is damn good."

The Observer (http://www.observer.com/pages/frontpage1.asp)

SpursWoman
09-15-2004, 06:05 PM
We’ve heard what you have to say about the documents

What did Bush say about the memos?

:wtf

Tommy Duncan
09-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh man this is fun to watch.

Of course Rather is going to make this out to be a matter of disagreement among document "experts", then assert that the preponderance of the evidence his investigation turned up proves that Bush is a bad man (the "fake but accurate" defense for Rather) and then finally that of course that his critics are partisan Republicans or are competing media outlets.

The bastard's been about doing what he can to prove all Republicans are evil. Think he's going to let this episode keep him from that mission?

Spurminator
09-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't this be like the Eagle County Prosecutor asking Kobe to explain blood on the accuser's skirt that wasn't his own, or was tampered with?

Nbadan
09-15-2004, 06:12 PM
What did Bush say about the memos?

:rolleyes

Someone needs to go back and reread the 'Moral Cowardice' thread.

Spurminator
09-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Nevermind the rape analogy... That partains to an accusation that is actually worth the hype it's getting.

Two separate scenarios. My bad.

Yonivore
09-15-2004, 06:15 PM
"Someone needs to go back and reread the 'Moral Cowardice' thread."
Don't be so Kerryesque, make your point.

Nbadan
09-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Someone without the courage to admit when they are wrong isn't going to sling mud himself, but let surrogates in the news do it for him.

SpursWoman
09-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Sorry...."somebody" has been working today. :rolleyes

And generally threads with highly subjective bashing-bullshit titles I only look at when I don't have anything better to do, if at all.

:)

Nbadan
09-15-2004, 06:30 PM
My apologies then...

Yonivore
09-15-2004, 06:31 PM
"Someone without the courage to admit when they are wrong isn't going to sling mud himself, but let surrogates in the news do it for him."
Okay, you're still being too "nuanced."

Try again...if you want me to understand what the **** you're saying. If not, we'll just move on.

Tommy Duncan
09-16-2004, 12:30 PM
White House McClellan on Rather:

“It’s always best for journalists to stick to reporting the facts and not try to dispense campaign advice'...

Nbadan
09-16-2004, 06:48 PM
It's easier to stay with the facts when the White House quits hiding documents related to an investigation...

WASHINGTON - A federal judge has ordered the Pentagon to find and make public by next week any unreleased files about President Bush's Vietnam-era Air National Guard service to resolve a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by The Associated Press.

U.S. District Judge Harold Baer Jr. handed down the order late Wednesday in New York. The AP lawsuit already has led to the disclosure of previously unreleased flight logs from Bush's days piloting F-102A fighters and other jets.

Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20040916/ap_on_el_pr/bush_guard_records)

Yonivore
09-16-2004, 08:38 PM
A court order won't make non-existent documents appear.

Yonivore
09-16-2004, 09:37 PM
I was outside visiting with the neighbor lady -- a twenty-something, apolitical type.

She revealed another angle to this whole thing that I hadn't even considered...

She was surprised the President actually flew military jets for over 4 years. She'd always understood that his Guard duty was of the "weekend warrior" type and that he kind of fiddled his way through it.

One more thing...She said, "Who knew, I think that's hot!"

Well, Keep it up Demoncrats...the ladies are finding the President's Guard service "hot!"