PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs are the favorites to win the title

SpursDynasty
03-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Who's going to beat the Spurs? With Tim, Tony, Manu, and Jackson, no one is stopping this team. Who's it going to be? The Lakers with no Fisher and Odom? The 24-20 Mavericks? The only team that poses a threat to SA is OKC, but that's not happening. The NBA has become a damn near joke aside from SA, OKC, Chicago, and Miami.

jestersmash
03-15-2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/Lazy_baby_eating.gif

Hoops Czar
03-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Who's going to beat the Spurs? With Tim, Tony, Manu, and Jackson, no one is stopping this team. Who's it going to be? The Lakers with no Fisher and Odom? The 24-20 Mavericks? The only team that poses a threat to SA is OKC, but that's not happening. The NBA has become a damn near joke aside from SA, OKC, Chicago, and Miami.

Is this a serious post? Anyone who can score is a threat.

:lol Fisher and Odom is the reason for the Lakers success.

Sean Cagney
03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Oh lord I am a Spurs fan but please stop it. Let the games play out.

sananspursfan21
03-15-2012, 09:01 PM
spurs havent beem a favorite aince 06

Spurtacus
03-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Still need another big.

Hoops Czar
03-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Still need another big.

If you can find one who's willing to play for food stamps, pass the word along to Buford.

gilmor
03-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Still need another big.

Well D-Rob.. There you have it..

Parker
Manu
Captain Jack
Duncan
DRob

Starting 5..

Robz4000
03-15-2012, 09:16 PM
They can offer more cash than Miami or Boston for Kaman, and if Diaw is bought out I'd bet my ass he'll choose San Antonio first.

Chomag
03-15-2012, 09:19 PM

Gald to see you exhited, as am I. However the Spurs are still lacking at least one more good piece, the big gaping hole in the frontline.

Budkin
03-15-2012, 09:24 PM
They just need to shoot some shots, no big surprises here.

TacoCabanaFajitas
03-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Spurs just making the trades they're supposed to make.

ElNono
03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
But what happens when the bullshit shots don't go in?

irishock
03-15-2012, 10:28 PM
spurs havent beem a favorite aince 06

Brazil
03-15-2012, 10:31 PM
SD thread !!! it has been a while tbh

:lol @ posting serious stuff in this thead

Drachen
03-15-2012, 10:31 PM
LOL, slow your roll buddy. No one here is claiming that SJax is our saviour. The delerium is mostly from getting rid of RJ, it is only enhanced by the fact that we got someone back who is a fan favorite and the anti RJ.

ElNono
03-15-2012, 10:50 PM
sup jeff

benefactor
03-15-2012, 10:58 PM
SD thread !!! it has been a while tbh

:lol @ posting serious stuff in this thead
Leave them to their ignorance. :lol

Barfunk
03-15-2012, 11:04 PM
SpursDynasty is to the Spurs as TimmytoZo was/is to the New York Giants/Miami Heat. I would love to see more posts from SD.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 02:03 AM
with jax, now we can have 2-4 guys on the court who can play above nba defense

phyzik
03-16-2012, 02:18 AM
LOL @ the greys taking the bait.

Spurs just need to make some shots, if the other teams win its obviously a fluke BS win.

hater
03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. OKC
4. Spurs

lay off the pipe

Paranoid Pop
03-16-2012, 08:59 AM
1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. OKC
4. Spurs

lay off the pipe

The Lakers and the Grizzlies can beat anyone too.

hater
03-16-2012, 09:01 AM
The Lakers and the Grizzlies can beat anyone too.

yup but IMO spurs still a little better than them.

Agloco
03-16-2012, 09:12 AM

:lol thinking we're getting anything resembling 2003 Jack.

In basketball terms, this was a lateral move at best.

It's a great move for the Spurs financially though. Casual fans wont realize this.

hater
03-16-2012, 09:14 AM

It's a great move for the Spurs financially though. Casual fans wont realize this.

how is this a lateral move? it's the playoffs and you have Jax and Dick on the bench, who do you bring in first?

Mal
03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
WWWW (Westbrick wont win west)

Agloco
03-16-2012, 09:39 AM
how is this a lateral move? it's the playoffs and you have Jax and Dick on the bench, who do you bring in first?

You'll no doubt cite Jacksons playoff exploits in years past.

Recently, however, he's given me no reason to believe he still has that mojo. Bigger cojones? Sure. That doesn't necessarily translate to success on the court though. If I'm watching highlight reels of both players over the past two years, it's a coin flip honestly.

I didn't let pre 2010 a-posteriori knowledge get in the way of my assessment, and neither should you. As of today it's a lateral move. Lets hope that Captain Jack proves me wrong. :toast

hater
03-16-2012, 09:50 AM
I didn't let pre 2010 a-posteriori knowledge get in the way of my assessment, and neither should you. As of today it's a lateral move. Lets hope that Captain Jack proves me wrong. :toast

Jackson averaged 18ppg 2 years ago in the playoffs. Dick averaged 9.

answer the question. It's the playoffs who do you bring in first?

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
jeffersons 2 years playoffs here doesnt even live up to jax playoffs heroics...

Agloco
03-16-2012, 10:53 AM

You'll no doubt cite Jacksons playoff exploits in years past.

Recently, however, he's given me no reason to believe he still has that mojo. Bigger cojones? Sure. That doesn't necessarily translate to success on the court though. If I'm watching highlight reels of both players over the past two years, it's a coin flip honestly.

Already answered.

And :lol 4 game sample. But since you went there, lets take a closer look.....

Jefferson FG% .486
Jackson FG% .358 :lol

Jefferson - 15 turnovers in 10 games
Jackson - 17 turnovers in 4 games :lol

Sure, Jackson averaged 18 ppg but played 5.5 more minutes per and had more offense run specifically for him. He responded by shooting 36% from the field and 17% from three while averaging more than 4 turnovers per contest. :lol

This is your playoff messiah?

Sooooo........who do you bring in first from the bench? I'll keep my quarter handy thank you.

George Gervin's Afro
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
The Spurs are not the favorites to win the championship this year.

TJastal
03-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Agloco's remarks in this thread are poignant, I also think this is a lateral move at best and great for Peter Holt's pocketbook which is great for him but at the end of the day not much else.

Jefferson is by far the more efficient player of the two, the fact that Pop started him over Leonard and also played him almost 30 minutes a game wasn't his fault. Jefferson also showed he could adapt to different roles and did seem to show more versatility in his game with Manu running the offense. He also was relatively quiet and non-disruptive in the locker room.

I'm not convinced that SJax can still bring the intangibles to make up for that loss of efficiency he once did almost a decade ago (swagger, confidence, defense). The league's changed too much, he's changed too much, and he also doesn't have the luxury of playing on a dominant defensive team like he did back in 2003 and more recently with the bobcats. This spurs team cannot afford him to go into chucker mode which is what he'll immediately start doing. Pop will be forced to bench him and then he'll start whining and be a locker room cancer.

At the end of the day, there is one positive I see (that doesn't include Holt's bank account) to be gleened out of all this, at least the young guys will finally have their turn. When Jackson's chucking lands him a seat on the bench, Leonard and Green especially will get increased roles.

Rapper
03-16-2012, 11:29 AM
son don't ever underestimate any of your match ups

Agloco
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Agloco's remarks in this thread are poignant, I also think this is a lateral move at best and great for Peter Holt's pocketbook which is great for him but at the end of the day not much else.

Jefferson is by far the more efficient player of the two, the fact that Pop started him over Leonard and also played him almost 30 minutes a game wasn't his fault. Jefferson also showed he could adapt to different roles and did seem to show more versatility in his game with Manu running the offense. He also was relatively quiet and non-disruptive in the locker room.

I'm not convinced that SJax can still bring the intangibles to make up for that loss of efficiency he once did almost a decade ago (swagger, confidence, defense). The league's changed too much, he's changed too much, and he also doesn't have the luxury of playing on a dominant defensive team like he did back in 2003 and more recently with the bobcats. This spurs team cannot afford him to go into chucker mode which is what he'll immediately start doing. Pop will be forced to bench him and then he'll start whining and be a locker room cancer.

At the end of the day, there is one positive I see (that doesn't include Holt's bank account) to be gleened out of all this, at least the young guys will finally have their turn. When Jackson's chucking lands him a seat on the bench, Leonard and Green especially will get increased roles.

+1

Don't get me wrong. I like the potential that Jack brings, and for the financial savings this brings on top of that? Why not? I agree with Jack coming off the bench. At this point, I think its for the best.

With the proper mindset, I'm hoping Jack can roll the clock back about 4 years. I want to believe that most of the bad play we've seen was due to his being on losing squads for the past 5 years. We will find out soon.

jjktkk
03-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Much has been made of Jack's chucking. Valid concern, but Jack did this with the Warriors, Bobcats, and Bucks, as either the 1st or 2nd scoring option. Obviously Jack's role with the Spur's would be as a 3rd option at best, pending if hes starting or not. Unless Jack is dumber than a box of rocks, he shouldn't feel the need to carry a team offensively, but rather get his touches within the offense if hes starting, or being the main option offensively coming off the bench in a 6th man role.

Agloco
03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Much has been made of Jack's chucking. Valid concern, but Jack did this with the Warriors, Bobcats, and Bucks, as either the 1st or 2nd scoring option. Obviously Jack's role with the Spur's would be as a 3rd option at best, pending if hes starting or not. Unless Jack is dumber than a box of rocks, he shouldn't feel the need to carry a team offensively, but rather get his touches within the offense if hes starting, or being the main option offensively coming off the bench in a 6th man role.

Agree. I think Jack respects Pop more than any coach he's ever had. They had a great relationship in 2003, lets hope that continues. He's also a fairly intelligent player.

More to the point of the OP however, this is NOT a move that puts the Spurs over the top. Not even close.

TJastal
03-16-2012, 11:52 AM

We can only hope Pop starts him out in a bench role or you will see his head inflate to 300+ PSI and full chucker mode.

With how giddy Pop is about him, I'm not sure this is set in stone however.

hater
03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
This is your playoff messiah?

who said he's playoff messiah? :lol

all I know is he's a much better option over the shitbag that has been Dick Jefferson.

So no, disagree. It's not a lateral move. It's a clear upgrade. Jax has something Dick never had, balls in the playoffs. No stat or comparison will show this.

I rather pick a guy with playoff cojones 100 times out of 100 over a pussy that has similar 'stats'

like someone said, we traded a dick for a pair of balls :makemyday that does not = lateral move

ThaBigFundamental21
03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Oh give me a fuckin break. A guy who is 34 next month, hurt, and having the worst year of his career is going to put us over the top to win a title???? You are delusional. I saw a list up top.

1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. OKC

I will take it a step further.

4. Memphis

Have you homers really forgot about the team who humiliated us last year??? Do you really think we are so much better than them all of a sudden??? You know Randolph is coming back right? How easily you guys forget.

hater
03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Oh give me a fuckin break. A guy who is 34 next month, hurt, and having the worst year of his career is going to put us over the top to win a title???? You are delusional. I saw a list up top.

1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. OKC

4. Memphis

Have you homers really forgot about the team that humiliated us last year??? Do you really think we are so much better than them all of a sudden??? You know Randolph is coming back right? How easily you guys forget.

:tu can't argue with this.

still. playoff Jax > playoff dick

Horse
03-16-2012, 12:37 PM

Horseshit what they're not talking about is his defensive abilities, now can Pop control him? That's the question. But let's not forget Jax was the one responsible for the biggest playoff upset in history when he hit the big shots and shut dirk down.

Horse
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM

1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. OKC

4. Memphis

Have you homers really forgot about the team who humiliated us last year??? Do you really think we are so much better than them all of a sudden??? You know Randolph is coming back right? How easily you guys forget.
What happened first game of the season when both teams were at full strength? Yes they're a good team but Tiago will play this time. And gay will fuck up their chemistry.

Agloco
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
who said he's playoff messiah? :lol

all I know is he's a much better option over the shitbag that has been Dick Jefferson.

What about the stats I quoted you makes him a better option? The turnovers or the FG%? :lol

Or.......

So no, disagree. It's not a lateral move. It's a clear upgrade. Jax has something Dick never had, balls in the playoffs. No stat or comparison will show this.

I rather pick a guy with playoff cojones 100 times out of 100 over a pussy that has similar 'stats'

Oh, it's his cojones then? We shall see.

lol similar stats. They're quite dissimilar over different metrics, and that's precisely the thing that makes this a coin flip.

like someone said, we traded a dick for a pair of balls :makemyday that does not = lateral move

:lmao

Come on hater, there are a lot of guys in the league who have a significantly larger sack than DickyJ. I agree with you there. We happened to get a quite inefficient one. It's gonna be interesting either way.

Like I said earlier, I hope Jack goes off like a roman candle a la 2003.

DPG21920
03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Start Jax.

hater
03-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Like I said earlier, I hope Jack goes off like a roman candle a la 2003.

he won't. and he won't need to. All he needs to do, and he will, is the job he was brought in for and he's automatically better than Jefferson.

The_Worlds_finest
03-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Your so casual that the argument your presented is invalid.

Obstructed_View
03-16-2012, 12:55 PM

1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. OKC

4. Memphis

Ah, irony. (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/manu-ginobili-is-tougher-than-you-me)

Agloco
03-16-2012, 12:59 PM
he won't. and he won't need to. All he needs to do, and he will, is the job he was brought in for and he's automatically better than Jefferson.

Automatically?

I honestly hope its not to deliver 36% from the field. :lol

therealtruth
03-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Jackson definitely has some upside if he can regain some of his swagger. Think about it. Would the Warriors have beat the Mavs if you swap SJax for Jefferson?

therealtruth
03-16-2012, 04:43 PM

You make a good point about being the 3rd option. I think SJax can be option 1-3 depending on how well he fits in. I think the Spurs were much harder to beat when RJ was 1-3 in scoring but that never happened often enough.

JeffDynasty
03-16-2012, 05:29 PM

1. Miami
2. Chicago
3. OKC

4. Memphis

Let's keep the conversation basketball related. Good thread, TS.