PDA

View Full Version : Is this year's nba draft really that deep?

antarescrane
03-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Almost all of the so called experts were saying how this draft was supposed to be very deep. Although I was initially upset that we traded away our first rounder,not that I am against the trade by any means, I looked up some of prospects in this year's draft. Needless to say, I was not that impressed at all. I am sure there are going to be some gems, but after the lottery, I hardly see anything that the resemble quality talent that scouts are getting a hard on about. What do you guys think?

GSH
03-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Almost all of the so called experts were saying how this draft was supposed to be very deep. Although I was initially upset that we traded away our first rounder,not that I am against the trade by any means, I looked up some of prospects in this year's draft. Needless to say, I was not that impressed at all. I am sure there are going to be some gems, but after the lottery, I hardly see anything that the resemble quality talent that scouts are getting a hard on about. What do you guys think?

I think the cream of this draft will run deeper than normal. By the time you get to late first round picks, I think everybody is just guessing - not just this year, but every year. I don't think there will be any no-brainers that far down the board.

I hate giving up the pick, just the same. But if we can sign Lorbek, it will be a moot point. We'll already have our new big man on the roster.

gospursgojas
03-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Fuk yo draft clown

Thomas82
03-16-2012, 02:19 AM
I think the cream of this draft will run deeper than normal. By the time you get to late first round picks, I think everybody is just guessing - not just this year, but every year. I don't think there will be any no-brainers that far down the board.

I hate giving up the pick, just the same. But if we can sign Lorbek, it will be a moot point. We'll already have our new big man on the roster.

Yeah, but Lorbek will be 28 years old by the time next season starts. He wouldn't be a long-term option.

DrSteffo
03-16-2012, 02:24 AM
Yeah, but Lorbek will be 28 years old by the time next season starts. He wouldn't be a long-term option.

So we would get a quality C in his prime instead of some unproven rookie (like James Anderson or Cory Joseph).

Thomas82
03-16-2012, 02:28 AM
So we would get a quality C in his prime instead of some unproven rookie like James Anderson or Corey Joseph.

True, but part of me is hoping the Spurs are secretly putting together a package to get a young C or PF in the draft in the same way they ended up with Kawhi Leonard last year.

Spurs da champs
03-16-2012, 02:29 AM
True, but part of me is hoping the Spurs are secretly putting together a package to get a young C or PF in the draft in the same way they ended up with Kawhi Leonard last year.

I'd think we'd have to give up Gary for that to be possible.

sehui
03-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Fuk yo draft clown

lmao nice sjax reference.

Thomas82
03-16-2012, 02:35 AM
I'd think we'd have to give up Gary for that to be possible.

I know, and I wouldn't mind doing it, especially if it's possible the trade would turn out in our favor again. I actually see the Spurs making another draft day trade again this year. The NBA might be a guard-oriented league these days, but the one thing that hasn't changed over the years is that it's still a big man's game.

SenorSpur
03-16-2012, 02:41 AM

Me too. Even a very high second would be good. Despite whatever buyout options may be available to them for the remainder of this year, I worry that there is no young, athletic big man at the PF/C spot in the pipeline.

DrSteffo
03-16-2012, 03:05 AM

Yes I think we all agree on that. If we could get a young, talented PF in the draft that would be sweet. (If we would have Duncan, Splitter and Lorbek we should go after a PF).

GSH
03-16-2012, 03:14 AM
Me too. Even a very high second would be good. Despite whatever buyout options may be available to them for the remainder of this year, I worry that there is no young, athletic big man at the PF/C spot in the pipeline.

I hate that term. Mahinmi was "in the pipeline". Not disagreeing with what you said, I just cringe thinking about having a big in the pipeline, after years of Mahinmi threads, and Scola threads, and Splitter threads, and Javtokas threads, and even the occasional Karaulov thread. I don't want a big in the pipeline, I want one on the damn court.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-16-2012, 03:19 AM
Lorbek is a better player right now than all but 3 bigs from the 2012 draft.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 03:23 AM
deep draft but we already have a deep roster, draft and stash as usual

sehui
03-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Blair for a mid-lottery (11-19 range) pick.

For real? I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I don't know if other teams value Blair that high.

jjktkk
03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Ryan Richards.

rd2277
03-16-2012, 01:20 PM
when did the Spurs FO trade away the 1st rd pick?

its a conditional pick, the bucks only get Spurs' 1st round if the Spurs end up in the lottery which is unlikely to happen.

am i misunderstanding this?

edit: i meant to say Warriors, not Bucks

The ADMIRAL 50
03-16-2012, 01:33 PM

its a conditional pick, the bucks only get Spurs' 1st round if the Spurs end up in the lottery which is unlikely to happen.

I think its the other way around man.

If we flame out and miss the playoffs somehow, then we get to keep our pick as it is lottery protected. Soooo basically the pick is gone barring any unforseen massive collapse.

urunobili
03-16-2012, 01:34 PM

You are. The pick is protected so if the Spurs get a lottery pick they will choose it.

rd2277
03-16-2012, 01:39 PM
You are. The pick is protected so if the Spurs get a lottery pick they will choose it.

gotcha, so i had it backwards...thanks for clearing that up!