PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 Master Plan

timvp
03-16-2012, 01:18 AM
By getting a little sneaky, I think the Spurs could open a boatload of salary cap space in the summer of 2013. First, let's start with next season. Here are the salaries already on the books:

Manu Ginobili: $14,107,492
Tony Parker: $12,500,000
Stephen Jackson: $10,059,750
Tiago Splitter: $3,944,000
Matt Bonner: $3,630,000
Kawhi Leonard: $1,809,840
Cory Joseph: $1,074,720
DeJuan Blair: $1,054,000
Gary Neal: $854,389

That's nine players making $49,034,191.

Let's say the Spurs bring back Danny Green for his qualifying offer of $1,060,120. Now we're at $50,094,311 for ten players.

With the MLE, the Spurs can target Erazem Lorbek. For those who don't know, he's a Euro bigman they acquired in the George Hill trade. By all accounts, he'll consider making the jump this summer. If the Spurs want him, he'll probably cost similar to Tiago Splitter money. Let's pencil him in for a first year salary of $3,500,000. (By the way, if you don't want Lorbek, substitute this amount for a similarly priced player like Boris Diaw.)

So far, that's eleven players for $53,594,311. Let's add another league minimum player to the mix. Most likely this would be a point guard. Now we're up to $54,448,700.

That leaves the Spurs with 12 players. And now let's tackle the big fish: Tim Duncan.

Let's say Duncan wants to make $26,000,000 over the next two years. Instead of just giving him a two-year contract for that total amount, give him a one year deal worth $19,000,000. At this point, the Spurs have 13 players under contract for $73,448,700 ... or pretty much exactly what they are paying for their current roster.

Now let us move ahead to the summer of 2013. The players under contract for that season will be:

Erazem Lorbek: ~$3,750,000
Kawhi Leonard: $1,887,840

And that's it. Matt Bonner's buyout will be $1,000,000, which the Spurs will surely exercise. (No way they pay him four million dollars two years from now ... at least I hope not.) Joseph could be dropped if he continues to underwhelm. Blair will be a free agent. Splitter and Neal will be restricted free agents.

Now the Spurs can go back to Duncan and pay him the $7,000,000 to complete the two-year, $26,000,000 contract he hypothetically wants.

With Parker, Lorbek, Leonard, Bonner's buyout and Duncan, the Spurs would be at about $26,150,000. If the salary cap comes in at $60,000,000, that's more than $30,000,000 the Spurs have to spend on free agency. That's enough to add two max free agents or do basically anything they could want.

Of course, the Spurs could go even more drastic and cutout the Lorbek salary by instead paying top dollar on a one-year contract for a veteran bigman like Kenyon Martin or Marcus Camby. That way, the Spurs could be down to Parker, Duncan, Leonard and a bundle of salary cap space.

No matter what, the future is pretty clear. The Spurs will give it a shot this year and next year with this current group. By clearing RJ's contract completely off the books, the Spurs now have a chance to really do a lot of damage in the summer of 2013. All it'll take is a smidgen of planning and a bloated one-year contract to Duncan this summer.

gospursgojas
03-16-2012, 01:20 AM
:tu goods

jjktkk
03-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the writeup Tim. 2013 will definitely be interesting as far as how the Spurs fill out their roster.

ElNono
03-16-2012, 01:35 AM
So far, that's eleven players for $5,359,4311

That's either too cheap or you messed up the commas...

Great writeup. Can't even fathom the Spurs without Gino though :depressed

gospursgojas
03-16-2012, 01:40 AM
That's either too cheap or you messed up the commas...

Great writeup. Can't even fathom the Spurs without Gino though :depressed

Rewind your 2011-2012 DVR spurs games.

Proxy
03-16-2012, 01:44 AM
Rewind your 2011-2012 DVR spurs games.
:hang

timvp
03-16-2012, 01:46 AM
That's either too cheap or you messed up the commas... Thanks :tu

Tbh, that was a kinda cool number.

Great writeup. Can't even fathom the Spurs without Gino though :depressedIf the Spurs do well in the next two years and want to extend that window a little bit, it's not too difficult to do. In fact, at any sign of true championship potential, the Spurs could decide to keep the Big 3 around until Parker's contract expires. And then massively blow it up.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 01:48 AM
stll in d12 sweepstakes lmao

letmk
03-16-2012, 01:48 AM
I hope/wish Tim could play until age 40. Barring unexpected injury, he could still be as productive as a capable 2nd big, or 3rd big later on. He stops relying on athleticism long time ago anyway.

ElNono
03-16-2012, 01:53 AM

Tbh, that was a kinda cool number.

If the Spurs do well in the next two years and want to extend that window a little bit, it's not too difficult to do. In fact, at any sign of true championship potential, the Spurs could decide to keep the Big 3 around until Parker's contract expires. And then massively blow it up.

I would be surprised if he doesn't retire after his deal is up, tbh.

Borosai
03-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Wait a god damned minute! This ain't no master plan without Matty: it's just a plan. Period. Period.

Spursfanfromafar
03-16-2012, 02:19 AM
<cliche>The Spurs have the best front office in the league </cliche>

Thanks, Timvp. The future is bright, the future is silver and black.

Spursfanfromafar
03-16-2012, 02:23 AM
I would be surprised if he doesn't retire after his deal is up, tbh.

Na. He won't. I think he has three more years left in him.. Expect him to chug along till 2014-5 before calling it a day. What all these injuries have done is that they increase his rest period and keep his motor up. Think Manu will provide a true No 6 in his final year and I fully expect him to take up coaching once he is done.

SenorSpur
03-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Another quality write-up!

Another hypothetical example: Let's say Lorbek doesn't come. What about the possibility of them investing in a young, inexpensive, athletic big via free agency? Would the Spurs FO even explore possibilities such as, Jordan Hill, Brandan Wright or even bringing back Ian Mahinmi? Are those even viable options that the FO would consider?

Since the Spurs will not be players in the upcoming June draft, I surely hope there will be an upcoming thread on the viable free-agent bigman options, along with their pros and cons - at some point this summer. THAT will be an interesting read.

mercos
03-16-2012, 02:31 AM
I am really curious to see what type of big name free agents the Spurs are able to attract, even with tons of cap room. San Antonio has simply not been the destination of choice for top tier talent. That is especially the case recently as all the top players want to go to either LA or New York (or Miami for that matter). I believe Dallas is freeing up cap space as well for the next few years, and for some reason that is seen as a more attractive place to sign.

My biggest fear is that the Spurs will fail to get any top rate players to sign. I would hate to see them fall into the trap many others have and sign second tier guys to max contracts. That is usually not the Spurs MO, but their hands are not completely clean when it comes to giving out bad contracts. We do not need a team full of players like Joe Johnson and Rashard Lewis.

SenorSpur
03-16-2012, 02:39 AM
I don't see a big name ever coming to San Antonio - no matter how much cap room they have. That's why I'm so leery of jettisoning draft picks. That will likely be the only way the Spurs will be able to obtain and groom their next superstar player.

GSH
03-16-2012, 02:54 AM
It's a beautiful thing. Even though getting rid of RJ only moved the horizon one year, that one year makes things look and feel so much more pleasant. His contract was just a dark cloud hanging over everything.

As for getting free agents to come to SA. With the new lux tax rules, I don't think that there will be as many teams in any given year willing and able to pay a fat contracts. I think these guys will be a lot more inclined to go where the money is. Not that they don't do that now, but they may have fewer options to shop around.

I really hope Lorbek will make the jump. And I hope that the Spurs can and will pony up enough to make it worth his while. Heh... and I hope he can transition well to the NBA. No knock to him, but you never know.

I notice you didn't put anything in for the 2013 first round pick. Unless they sell the pick for cash, or make it part of a trade, thats another several million. Is that going to screw up the plan?

jesterbobman
03-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Picks in general add a bit above the cap holds, but they're in general such a good way of securing cheap labour that it shouldn't be an issue. It's likely to be only an extra 500G or so, which shouldn't effect plans, as you can still fit a max salary guy into that space.

sehui
03-16-2012, 03:18 AM
I am really curious to see what type of big name free agents the Spurs are able to attract, even with tons of cap room. San Antonio has simply not been the destination of choice for top tier talent. That is especially the case recently as all the top players want to go to either LA or New York (or Miami for that matter). I believe Dallas is freeing up cap space as well for the next few years, and for some reason that is seen as a more attractive place to sign.

My biggest fear is that the Spurs will fail to get any top rate players to sign. I would hate to see them fall into the trap many others have and sign second tier guys to max contracts. That is usually not the Spurs MO, but their hands are not completely clean when it comes to giving out bad contracts. We do not need a team full of players like Joe Johnson and Rashard Lewis.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of as well. Can the Spurs really rely on going with the free agency as their way of rebuilding into a successful team? No huge all-star may want to come to San Antonio...I had always thought of rebuilding via the draft, not through FA.

With the right pieces and money (Duncan and Parker on SA) would Howard really come over?

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 03:24 AM
34m capspace

would kg, pierce, allen, whatever top fa on their last legs would come here for dirt cheap to field a super team of pensioners to compete for a ring?

Rapper
03-16-2012, 03:34 AM
What if Timmy just makes 22 M over the next 2 year?

mountainballer
03-16-2012, 05:10 AM
I would like to add an aspect about this scenario. (agree about most points)

IMO Bonner has become a logical amnesty candidate for 2012 and the major reason isn't to get rid of him, the major point is, that this opens the flexibility to give Tim a better contract. (assuming Lorbek will be brought in and him taking Bonners rotation spot anyhow). with the mentioned calculation the Spurs will be above the threshold again and likely it will be about the number that Bonner's salary for 12/13 counts.

Spurs will have a big rotation of Tim, Tiago, Lorbek, Blair, plus a minimum player. another scenario is they sign Diaw after he is bought out, Diaw surprisingly works well and the Spurs try to keep him. then they would not be able to sign Lorbek, or Diaw excepts an LLE contract. (or whatever this is called under the new CBA)
but IMO Bonner no longer finds a niche in either scenario.

another situation to consider is a potential signing of De Colo. a lot will depend if the Spurs think he can handle a back up PG role. if not, the chances that he will be brought in are lower after the Sjax trade. Spurs now have Manu and Neal for SG plus Sjax, who will see significant minutes there, if the role of Leonard at SF gets more important. (and it will, as we are all sure about). so it will likely come down to a decision between re signing Green and bring in De Colo.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Spurs will have a big rotation of Tim, Tiago, Lorbek, Blair, plus a minimum player. another scenario is they sign Diaw after he is bought out, Diaw surprisingly works well and the Spurs try to keep him. then they would not be able to sign Lorbek, or Diaw excepts an LLE contract. (or whatever this is called under the new CBA)
but IMO Bonner no longer finds a niche in either scenario.

if ur going to amnesty bonner, u better get rid of blair also....dude is just as worst as bonner

jesterbobman
03-16-2012, 05:50 AM
I would keep Bonner. If Tim is resigned for the ~11 million discussed, there's not really a way to manage cap space to have more than the MLE, which should be sufficient for Lorbek. I would attempt to move Blair, he doesn't really fit with most of the other guys in that group. Not worth dumping him though, he's still better than his contract. But, If you could trade Blair for a late 1st/early 2nd, and you had confidence in bringing over Lorbek, and pick up another big to fill the rotation, whether it's Diaw or some defensive/energy big.

MaNu4Tres
03-16-2012, 06:09 AM
My money is on Blair being gone before the start of next season, probably for a late first rounder or most likely a very high second rounder (via Bobcats/Cavaliers).

bigfan
03-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again; I sure appreciate your work here TIMVP. Im from SA and have been a Spurs fan since the early 80's. Unfortunately for the past decade or so Ive lived all over the planet and now live in Dallas (so I cant go to the games and the local rag is all Mavs, all the time). Thanks again for your expertise and well written entries here.

Whisky Dog
03-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again; I sure appreciate your work here TIMVP. Im from SA and have been a Spurs fan since the early 80's. Unfortunately for the past decade or so Ive lived all over the planet and now live in Dallas (so I cant go to the games and the local rag is all Mavs, all the time). Thanks again for your expertise and well written entries here.

I agree. This place was unbearable with him gone (didn't know the reason at the time) but he's come back with a vengeance. Much respect.

Mugen
03-16-2012, 09:26 AM
If Manu doesn't retire after that season then he will (and should) be on the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
orlando was trying to recruit jax to play with d12

lets ask d12 to come here and play for us while we have capspace enough to field a talent team around him to compete.....

if we can keep the current roster and resign most of the vets thats expiring to veteran or minimum deals, we have enough to pay someone above mle...

smackdaddy11
03-16-2012, 10:03 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

List of FA in 2013. :downspin: Discuss.

We know Paul likes playing w/Blake, but does he like Howard better?

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
2013 is the new 2010.

Hoops Czar
03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

List of FA in 2013. :downspin: Discuss.

We know Paul likes playing w/Blake, but does he like Howard better?

Doesn't matter. He likes it in LA and I'm pretty sure he'll sign an extension eventually.

smackdaddy11
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Many more names on the list. Just giving a discussion point. Much can be constructed from that list, especially adding a trade asset of Parker at 12.5 mil to it.

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 10:46 AM
we can stuff up alot of teams to overpay to keep their players, hopefully the spurs throw out figures just to stir the pot

AFBlue
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
#1 target should be Al Jefferson

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2012, 10:56 AM

he better take a paycut if he wants to come here, dude hasnt live up to his current contract

Mugen
03-16-2012, 10:58 AM

I don't want any Jeffersons coming here for a while.

TMTTRIO
03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
If Manu doesn't retire after that season then he will (and should) be on the Spurs.

I love Manu and would like to see him stay here a while longer but with the way his body is starting to fail him, I see him barely getting by this year without having to retire(even though he still says he can play until 36-38 even after the injuries)

Agloco
03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
lol thinking the Spurs will attract any big name players.

T Park
03-16-2012, 03:47 PM
2013 is the new 2010.

2013 is the new 2003.

Nathan89
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM

I don't like the sound of this at all. Dude is too slow.

T Park
03-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Im still bitter over Jermaine O'Neal shooting the Spurs down (freaking Isaih Thomas) and jaded over cap room.

lcroock
03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Bring in Monte Ellis and Paul Milsap, or Josh Smith and Stephen Curry!

DPG21920
03-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Some interesting unrestricted FA's in 2013:

Josh Smith
Monta Ellis
Biedrins
Kevin Martin
Andrew Bynum
Okafor
Al Jefferson
Paul Millsap

Not overly sexy, but cap room means the ability to absorb players in a trade

AFBlue
03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't like the sound of this at all. Dude is too slow.

Al Jefferson is the second best fundamental big man in the game, next to Duncan. He has nice size for a F/C, is relatively young, and has a good head on his shoulders.

He has a great respect for Duncan, and I think he would consider a serious offer from the Spurs. Seems not only realistic, but entirely plausible he would be their #1 target.

Redshadows
03-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Paul Millsap
Al Jefferson
Andre Iguodala

Why Splitter became Unrestricted in 2013? He is in rookie contract.

Stringer_Bell
03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
the OP was very intriguing, but now I will be mad if that's not the master plan >.<

Dr. John R. Brinkley
03-24-2012, 12:41 AM
With Sjax and also Diaw on board, I would think the 2013 Master Plan is now more wide open as far as how much Tim wants to make. Would he want less money in his next contract if it meant being able to keep some combination of SJax and Boris? How well the team plays and succeeds in the playoffs will be the answer, but at the least there are some new wrinkles now to consider.

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2012, 09:24 AM
i think duncan would sign a 1 year deal for 20m as loyalty contract, the year after it we sign someone with max with duncan taking a huge paycut

d12 or bynum would be stupid not to come play here with the stacked roster we got atm, i think players like jax, ginoboli will both take paycuts to remain on this team....

Sec24Row7
03-24-2012, 09:57 AM
i think duncan would sign a 1 year deal for 20m as loyalty contract, the year after it we sign someone with max with duncan taking a huge paycut

d12 or bynum would be stupid not to come play here with the stacked roster we got atm, i think players like jax, ginoboli will both take paycuts to remain on this team....

Bynum has a brain the size of a walnut and glass knees....

I would hate to see him here...

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2012, 10:11 AM
34m capspace...can we just give all 7 players on the team deals MLE each?

tenbeersbold
03-24-2012, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=timvp;5702588]By getting a little sneaky, I think the Spurs could open a boatload of salary cap space in the summer of 2013. First, let's start with next season. Here are the salaries already on the books:

Cory Joseph makes more $$ than Neal,damn that's a disgrace !

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2012, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=timvp;5702588]By getting a little sneaky, I think the Spurs could open a boatload of salary cap space in the summer of 2013. First, let's start with next season. Here are the salaries already on the books:

Cory Joseph makes more $$ than Neal,damn that's a disgrace !i

wheres duncan on the list whose going to get one big contract for one year, then end of 2013 season is when only parker, KL,splitter is only on the books...

BackHome
03-24-2012, 11:33 AM
First no way do we get any top free agent they are looking for $$$ shoe deals not to be in Taco commercials.

Going into this summer we have no first round pick so I am hoping with that we can land Lobrek. If somehow we can do that and then sign Green to a cap friendly number I would be one happy camper.

So to me is who do we have to let go to sign Lobrek, Green, and maybe Diaw? Add to this that you will have Captain Jack and Splitters contract come up the following year?

The obvious ones would be Cory Joseph, and Bonner.. but is that enough?

timvp
03-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Diaw doesn't really fit the master plan unless he signs a one year contract this summer. Well, unless he really explodes and the FO thinks he can be a part of the future.

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Diaw doesn't really fit the master plan unless he signs a one year contract this summer. Well, unless he really explodes and the FO thinks he can be a part of the future.

Assuming that Duncan returns, the Spurs will be left with MLE (4yrs/21M) to spend on any significant FAs. Given that the Spurs will not have Bird rights on Diaw, it seems very unlikely that he stays with the team beyond this season. If he would be available for the MLE, the Spurs would have to choose between him and Lorbek.

AFBlue
03-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Assuming that Duncan returns, the Spurs will be left with MLE (4yrs/21M) to spend on any significant FAs. Given that the Spurs will not have Bird rights on Diaw, it seems very unlikely that he stays with the team beyond this season. If he would be available for the MLE, the Spurs would have to choose between him and Lorbek.

Do the Spurs have the bird rights to Green, or would he also count against MLE?

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Do the Spurs have the bird rights to Green, or would he also count against MLE?

They have his Bird rights. They'll be able to tender a qualifying offer of just over 1M to make him a restricted FA. So, if they don't reach an agreement with him early, they can let him get an offer sheet and decide if they want to match. His contract will not count against the MLE.

venitian navigator
03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
I really liked what I 've seen of Diaw in his first game.
I really wouldn't count out him emerging like a perfect fit for the team.
Add to this that he's the best friend of our main man for the future (just considering age...overall I still love more Tim and Manu).
Next season our priority is to re-sign Tim.....but at this point in his career maybe he wouldn't mind to take a huge pay cut just for having the real chance to play for a championship for the next three or four years, giving to the F.O. the chance to sign Green, Diaw and Lorbek...(also considering that these signings will give him the chance to limit a lot the games/minutes he will play, so extending his career for many years to came).

CGD
03-24-2012, 02:36 PM

If Diaw impresses and the Spurs plan on bringing Lorbek, you have to think the writing is on the wall for Blair this off-season.

Not guaranteeing Blair's contract would save around 1M, but Duncan would have to take less I would think in order to sign both, no?

I'm still hoping Blair can be used to get into the 1st round in this coming draft...

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 02:42 PM
If Diaw impresses and the Spurs plan on bringing Lorbek, you have to think the writing is on the wall for Blair this off-season.

Not guaranteeing Blair's contract would save around 1M, but Duncan would have to take less I would think in order to sign both, no?

I'm still hoping Blair can be used to get into the 1st round in this coming draft...

Blair's contract won't be a significant factor, although I see them trading him for a draft pick. To create cap space much bigger than the MLE would require Duncan signing for a very small number and using the amnesty on Bonner. That's a very unlikely scenario.

TDMVPDPOY
03-24-2012, 03:48 PM
we must do this right, duncan has the opportunity to win 2-3 rings with this current roster

CGD
03-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Blair's contract won't be a significant factor, although I see them trading him for a draft pick. To create cap space much bigger than the MLE would require Duncan signing for a very small number and using the amnesty on Bonner. That's a very unlikely scenario.

OK help me work this out:

(1) How much do you think Boris would command (realistically)?
One thing is what he thinks he can garner, another is what leverage the Spurs have to reduce his asking price -- e.g., hit fitness issues, the fact he hasn't played a meaningful game in quite some time, ability to reform his career, and possibility to play with Parker. Not sure he can command more than 3yrs/10M, tbh.

(2) Is the consensus still that Lorberk is looking to come?
If he does, does one assume the full MLE will be used on him? Probably.

(3) With the MLE gone, how can you come up with the $$ for Diaw?
Legitimately not sure. Duncan takes 2M less + 1M from Blair? Amnesty Bonner and keep Blair? How does this "Mini" exception figure in? Another wrinkle is that, if what is reported about Mills getting a 1M player option for next year is true, you have to think he picks that up.

Of course this is all academic is Diaw sucks it up during this very limited showcase opportunity.

T Park
03-24-2012, 04:21 PM
These Plans suck and never work.

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 04:28 PM

1. If he plays really well and helps the Spurs make a deep playoff run, then he signs for nothing less than the full MLE.

2. I have no idea what Lorbek's intentions are, but if he comes to the NBA he should command a contract similar to Splitter's (3yrs/11M).

3. Once the MLE is gone, there is no way to come up with dollars for Diaw. Just not possible.

Darkwaters
03-24-2012, 04:34 PM

One thing is what he thinks he can garner, another is what leverage the Spurs have to reduce his asking price -- e.g., hit fitness issues, the fact he hasn't played a meaningful game in quite some time, ability to reform his career, and possibility to play with Parker. Not sure he can command more than 3yrs/10M, tbh.

If he does, does one assume the full MLE will be used on him? Probably.

Legitimately not sure. Duncan takes 2M less + 1M from Blair? Amnesty Bonner and keep Blair? How does this "Mini" exception figure in? Another wrinkle is that, if what is reported about Mills getting a 1M player option for next year is true, you have to think he picks that up.

Of course this is all academic is Diaw sucks it up during this very limited showcase opportunity.

1) That really all depends on what he does with the Spurs through the end of the season. His stock isn't very high right now. But hes still reasonably young, has had success in the past, and may have a great playoff run with SA. Really hard to call at this point. Plus, how much of a "hometown discount" would he give to stay near Parker?

2) Lorbek will probably command Tiago Splitter kind of money. Tiago is getting about 3.5M this year and just short of 4M next season. He was in the low 3's last season.

3) If we're over the cap we'd have to use one of our exceptions. The only way amnestying Bonner helps us is if it brings us under the cap. I don't think we're nearly that close to the line.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 05:33 PM
1) That really all depends on what he does with the Spurs through the end of the season. His stock isn't very high right now. But hes still reasonably young, has had success in the past, and may have a great playoff run with SA. Really hard to call at this point. Plus, how much of a "hometown discount" would he give to stay near Parker?

2) Lorbek will probably command Tiago Splitter kind of money. Tiago is getting about 3.5M this year and just short of 4M next season. He was in the low 3's last season.

3) If we're over the cap we'd have to use one of our exceptions. The only way amnestying Bonner helps us is if it brings us under the cap. I don't think we're nearly that close to the line.

I think the best bet is to get Duncan to sign for less and/or backload his contract and amnesty Bonner. Also try to trade Blair/Anderson for draft picks.

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 06:05 PM
I think the best bet is to get Duncan to sign for less and/or backload his contract and amnesty Bonner. Also try to trade Blair/Anderson for draft picks.

Backloaded contracts don't exist in the NBA in any way that makes any difference (annual raises have the contracts increase by a small percentage each year, but you can't do a contract that goes 5M/10M/15M).

Even a substantial decrease in salary for Duncan plus using the amnesty on Bonner will not create cap space much in excess of the MLE.

Anderson can't be traded. He'll be a free agent this summer.

pgardn
03-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Very informative writeup, and it allows one to work other manipulations using your basic outline. Some of those facts had passed me by, thanks.

Anonymous Cowherd
03-24-2012, 06:28 PM
I understand why backloaded contracts can't be allowed because of the cap... are frontloaded ones allowed? eg. could you offer someone $15m/$5m/$5m if you had the space for the 15m on the books in the first year?

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 06:33 PM
I understand why backloaded contracts can't be allowed because of the cap... are frontloaded ones allowed? eg. could you offer someone $15m/$5m/$5m if you had the space for the 15m on the books in the first year?

No. Contracts can only go up or down by the maximum annual salary increase (which is a percentage of the first year salary).

There are provisions for signing bonuses, but the cap hits are spread over the life of the contract.

Anonymous Cowherd
03-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks Mel.

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks Mel.

:toast

It has yet to be updated to reflect the new CBA (Coon says there are provisions in the new CBA that directly contradict one another), but it's still the single best resource for all things CBA related:

https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm

BackHome
03-24-2012, 06:45 PM
So if we let Anderson walk, trade Blair and CJ for a draft pick, and Amnesty Bonner how much $$ would that give us?

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 07:00 PM
So if we let Anderson walk, trade Blair and CJ for a draft pick, and Amnesty Bonner how much $$ would that give us?

As long as Duncan returns, there won't be any cap space (I'm assuming that Duncan's salary will be at least 10M next year). The Spurs will have to use the MLE and other exceptions to sign players.

To your specific questions:

Anderson will be a FA summer. There is no more money to be saved on him.

Trading Blair and CJ for a draft pick can save a little bit, but that will depend on the draft pick. A 2012 first rounder gets guaranteed money. In any event, Blair and CJ both make barely more than minimum. Replacing them with minimum salary players won't change much.

Bonner is on the books for 3.6M next year, but using the amnesty on him doesn't mean that the Spurs can spend that 3.6M on a FA. Assuming Duncan returns, they would still likely be limited to the MLE and other exceptions even if they use the amnesty on Bonner.

vander
03-24-2012, 07:10 PM
anything short of D Howard and M Ellis and I'm a be disappointed

CGD
03-24-2012, 07:21 PM
1. If he plays really well and helps the Spurs make a deep playoff run, then he signs for nothing less than the full MLE.

2. I have no idea what Lorbek's intentions are, but if he comes to the NBA he should command a contract similar to Splitter's (3yrs/11M).

3. Once the MLE is gone, there is no way to come up with dollars for Diaw. Just not possible.

Not sure I've fleshed out your response to 3 yet. Per the calculations made by timpv above, before re-signing Duncan this summer the Spurs sit at 49M in a years where the cap (as I understand) is supposed to near 59M.

Even if the Spurs re-sign Green, give Mills that PO, and retain Blair, couldn't they sign another player up to the cap amount, and then use the Bird Exception to sign Duncan?

Sure the Spurs could exceed the cap amount (the whole point of the Bird Rule), but if I'm Holt I'm happy my FO was shrewd enough to saved me having to pay RJ for nothing, and, up to a certain point, I'm happy to use the difference to pay luxury tax on Duncan's salary.

So by my count:
(1) 49M in committed salary
(2) 1M player option for Mills
(3) 3M -- max that I see Spurs matching on a QO from Green
(4) 3M -- Diaw (I just don't think his negotiating posture is that strong)
(5) MINUS 1M by letting Blair walk

That puts the Spurs at 55M

The Spurs could then use the Bird Exception and MLE on Duncan and Lorbek respectively even if it means exceeding the $59M cap.

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Even if the Spurs re-sign Green, give Mills that PO, and retain Blair, couldn't they sign another player up to the cap amount, and then use the Bird Exception to sign Duncan?

I'm just quoting this part of your post because this is where the problem is with your scenario.

Until Duncan signs a new contract or is renounced by the Spurs he counts for a cap hold of 22M against the salary cap. So there is no cap space to sign another player. There is only the MLE.

therealtruth
03-24-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm just quoting this part of your post because this is where the problem is with your scenario.

Until Duncan signs a new contract or is renounced by the Spurs he counts for a cap hold of 22M against the salary cap. So there is no cap space to sign another player. There is only the MLE.

If you can get Duncan to sign for less than 10M and amnesty Bonner there should be at least 3M cap room. The more below 10M Duncan signs the more cap room.

Mel_13
03-24-2012, 08:53 PM
If you can get Duncan to sign for less than 10M and amnesty Bonner there should be at least 3M cap room. The more below 10M Duncan signs the more cap room.

If you have 3M in cap room, then you use the MLE. Can't use both.

Brutalis
03-25-2012, 12:18 AM
The Spurs will still have Manu and Gary imo

Ditty
03-25-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't think OKC will be able to afford James Harden unless they amnesty Perkins, but I would love for him to be our number 1 option that summer even if he is restricted replacing Ginobili.

therealtruth
03-25-2012, 01:57 AM
With the new amnesty rule another option is picking up amnesty targets.

SenorSpur
03-25-2012, 02:18 AM
I don't think OKC will be able to afford James Harden unless they amnesty Perkins, but I would love for him to be our number 1 option that summer even if he is restricted replacing Ginobili.

Nice thought, but I highly doubt OKC would allow Harden to leave under any circumstances. After all, he's the third member of their "new" big three.

Besides, the Spurs need an athletic PF, not another swingman.

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2012, 04:01 AM
the sooner the big3 and vets on this team bend over hand the keys to KL the better, we are holding him back from what could be a franchise player in the making...

Mel_13
03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
With the new amnesty rule another option is picking up amnesty targets.

If you mean claiming players that have been waived by other teams via the amnesty rule, that is possible if you have sufficient cap space.

If you mean trading for players and then using the amnesty on that player, that is not possible under the rules.

yavozerb
03-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Nice thought, but I highly doubt OKC would allow Harden to leave under any circumstances. After all, he's the third member of their "new" big three.

Besides, the Spurs need an athletic PF, not another swingman.

OKC are going to have to choose between Harden and Ibaka soon..No way they can keep both for what others will offer them on the market..

SenorSpur
03-25-2012, 01:54 PM
It's true that OKC will have some "hard" decisions to make. One would have to believe that their Big Three (Durant, Westbrook and Harden) are untouchable. As for making room for Ibaka, my guess is that they'll probably try and ship out Perkins because Ibaka is just too valuable to their rebounding and defense to ever allow him to hit free agency. Presti and staff are very astute and very shrewd. They'll figure out a way to secure Ibaka.

Now, I'd absolutely love if the Spurs could somehow get in on the bidding for his services, but I highly doubt it would ever come to this.

CGD
03-25-2012, 05:28 PM

Oh ok, that was the missing piece for me I guess.

Why, though, would the Spurs be able to offer Mills a PO for next year, and not run up against the same problem? Is it because he signed his contract this year, and not as a FA this summer?

Is this the same reason why the Spurs would be able to match any offer received for Green without running up against the same cap hold issue?

therealtruth
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
OKC are going to have to choose between Harden and Ibaka soon..No way they can keep both for what others will offer them on the market..

Since they own their bird rights technically they can. The issue will probably be whether they want to pay luxury tax.