PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the West?

Rummpd
03-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Serious contenders:

1. OKC - the pundits favorite but one has to respect chances of the Lakers now, with the Spurs behind them, but in the mix.
2. LAL - filled their greatest need at PG and now have to be considered IMO co-favorites with the Thunder. Moroever, keeping Gasol and a surging Bynum gives them the best front line in the game to pair with Kobe. If RS proves to be a good fit (and the loss of Fisher's locker room and court leadership does not hurt them) they are going to be a very tough out.
3. Spurs - deep bench and Jackson back brings some needed toughness back to the Spurs. If they can add a backup point and/or pick up a spare big, they can take out either 1-2 above (albeit only if Manu,TD and Parker all healthy), but it would still have to be considered a mild upset.

In the Mix to make the WC finals but will not win West.
4. Memphis - the one team any of the above do not really want to play in the first round if they get ZR back.
5. Clippers - I am not sure adding Young helps them (as he was a cancer in DC and is sure to do only one thing - shoot a lot).
6. Mavs - only if they stay healthy and Roddy B continues to gell. They are just not good enough this year to beat 1-3 in a head to head matchup unless Dirk goes off like he did at the end of the playoffs last year.

Making the 2nd round would be a successful season:
7. Blazers - too troubled right now despite still being a talented team and with their free fall could miss the playoffs.
8. Denver - in the short run hard to see how trading off Nene for the enigmatic/erratic (but talented) McGee will pan out. Will have a hard time holding onto make the playoffs.
9. Rockets - would give many teams a tough series due to a lot of heart and are well coached, but hard to see them getting out of the first round.

Minn, GS, Utah = all could slip in but unlikely to pull and upset.

Giuseppe
03-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I said it first awhile back,,,The Spurs.

Giuseppe
03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
You traitor.

Don't be absurd.

Spur_Fanatic
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM
OKC and LAL, as serious contenders.

For the rest of the west, making it to the West Finals is pretty much impossible.

Pelicans78
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM
The T-Wolves are a big threat with their frontcourt. Williams is stepping up too. They need their wing players to step up.

pass1st
03-16-2012, 01:36 PM
OKC and LAL, as serious contenders.

For the rest of the west, making it to the West Finals is pretty much impossible.

Bonner & crew have it on lock

Pelicans78
03-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I think the Spurs are a serious contender with a healthy Manu.

MavDynasty
03-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Where the fuck is your bullshit point differential arguments, faggot?

:lol rummpd

Adding Jackson will help but as long as that red headed fuck and the midget fatass are getting minutes, Gasol and Bynum gonna go HAM in the paint tbh.

OKC big concern is execution down the stretch and making smart plays. Westbrook is still a dumbass and OKC still relies on 30 foot 3s out of timeouts during the final possession shots. Their half court offense is just terrible tbh

Dallas' offense blows and is just stagnant this year. Our shooters aren't making shit but luckily dirk and even terry are starting to pick it up. Team is gonna look a lot better once west and wood come back and roddy keeps it up. I still don't think the team has a legit backup center that can defend the rim.

LAL imho are the favorites to get back even with that shit bench...their front court is just way too stacked. Kobe is the only one holding them back

Deuce Bigalow
03-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Adding Jackson will help but as long as that red headed fuck and the midget fatass are getting minutes, Gasol and Bynum gonna go HAM in the paint tbh.

OKC big concern is execution down the stretch and making smart plays. Westbrook is still a dumbass and OKC still relies on 30 foot 3s out of timeouts during the final possession shots. Their half court offense is just terrible tbh

Dallas' offense blows and is just stagnant this year. Our shooters aren't making shit but luckily dirk and even terry are starting to pick it up. Team is gonna look a lot better once west and wood come back and roddy keeps it up. I still don't think the team has a legit backup center that can defend the rim.

LAL imho are the favorites to get back even with that shit bench...their front court is just way too stacked. Kobe is the only one holding them back

:lol

Rummpd
03-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Damm even I could not curse that well even when a private first class Army Medic years before going to medical school (this season is so screwed up with the scheduling have to put the point differential arguement on hold)!

JamStone
03-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Mavs depth and the fact there are no back to back games in the playoffs still give them a fighting chance against the top 3 of OKC, Lakers, and Spurs. How motivated VC is to play well might be a big x-factor.

jag
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM

:lol

I agree on both points.

jag
03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
If the Spurs can avoid the Lakers then they have a shot to win the West with their current roster. But truth be told, they just aren't good enough without another big.

Pelicans78
03-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Why didn't the Spurs trade for Kaman? I know the Hornets didn't want to take back Jefferson, but I'm sure they could have worked something out.

Giuseppe
03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
^Solid goods. Kaman like Scola would be a natural fit for the Spurs.

DPG21920
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I said it first awhile back,,,The Spurs.

F'ng Cleveland/Phoenix Spurs fans.

DPG21920
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Mavs depth and the fact there are no back to back games in the playoffs still give them a fighting chance against the top 3 of OKC, Lakers, and Spurs. How motivated VC is to play well might be a big x-factor.

There are back to backs in the first round this year I thought?

lefty
03-16-2012, 02:38 PM
But are the Suns potential trouble makers ?

mavs>spurs
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I really don't see the mavs having enough left in the tank when it comes down to it. I think that sure we'll continue to pick it up from our recent shitty play and start looking decent, but when it comes to playoff time I question Dirk's ability to put the team on his back again, which is pretty much what it would take. We're probably a 2nd round exit and will put up a good fight against whoever we go against.

DPG21920
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
OKC & LA are the top 2 IMO. When I say LA is a contender it's not because they are better than they were before, but because the West is really open and LA has the best top 3 talent overall (while it also being distributed at positions of importance).

I am interested to see Ramon with LA as it should help the offense operate a little more smoothly.

I think the Spurs are right there, but they wouldn't be a clear favorite in the majority of series' they might play in. But they are tougher and more clutch now.

JamStone
03-16-2012, 02:58 PM
There are back to backs in the first round this year I thought?

Oh, I didn't know that.

tlongII
03-16-2012, 03:01 PM
We're not 7th. We're tanking.

DPG21920
03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh, I didn't know that.

I think that is correct (I remember reading that, I'll look for the link), but I haven't heard anything recently on that.

pass1st
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
We're not 7th. We're tanking.

Tanking to fuck up another draft? :lol

DPG21920
03-16-2012, 03:17 PM
It says "possible", so I guess nothing is set in stone yet...

Kai
03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Honestly think if you make the playoffs you have a decent shot to get to the finals. There are no elite teams in the west.

LkrFan
03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm going out on a limb and say the Lakers. OKC is talented, but they not ready. They beat us at home on the tail end of a back to back. The bearded one pissed Kobe off in the process. I guarantee you that if they meet in the playoffs, the Lakers prevail (health notwithstanding).

We got a pass first PG that will add a 3rd legit playmaker to this team. We also got younger at the PG spot and not to mention more athletic in a position of severe weakness. Our frontline is better than theirs to begin with. Now that Kobe won't have to chase Westbrook around he is freed up to shit on Harden and whoever else they trot out there at SG. I trust Bynum over Porkins. And now that the threat of being traded is over, I expect Pau to win his matchup with Blocka. I expect more fastbreak points and early offense now that Fish is gone too. That should spark our offense. The defense is already top 3 in FG%. Now we improved the perimeter defense with at player 12 years younger than Fish. Not to mention he is in a contract year so he should be motivated. Blake will run our 2nd unit who we fortified with McBob and now Jordan Hill to spell Gasol/Bynum with energy. Murph should be able to splash 3s as well now that we have a PG that can penetrate and dish.

Lakers 4, OKC 2. Book it.

midnightpulp
03-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm going out on a limb and say the Lakers. OKC is talented, but they not ready. They beat us at home on the tail end of a back to back. The bearded one pissed Kobe off in the process. I guarantee you that if they meet in the playoffs, the Lakers prevail (health notwithstanding).

We got a pass first PG that will add a 3rd legit playmaker to this team. We also got younger at the PG spot and not to mention more athletic in a position of severe weakness. Our frontline is better than theirs to begin with. Now that Kobe won't have to chase Westbrook around he is freed up to shit on Harden and whoever else they trot out there at SG. I trust Bynum over Porkins. And now that the threat of being traded is over, I expect Pau to win his matchup with Blocka. I expect more fastbreak points and early offense now that Fish is gone too. That should spark our offense. The defense is already top 3 in FG%. Now we improved the perimeter defense with at player 12 years younger than Fish. Not to mention he is in a contract year so he should be motivated. Blake will run our 2nd unit who we fortified with McBob and now Jordan Hill to spell Gasol/Bynum with energy. Murph should be able to splash 3s as well now that we have a PG that can penetrate and dish.

Lakers 4, OKC 2. Book it.

Homers like you don't go out on fuckin' limbs. You were probably one of those dumbshits thinking the Lakers were Finals poised in '06 after going up 3-1 on the Suns.

And yes, there were quite a few of you. That's how retarded your overall fanbase is.

LkrFan
03-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Homers like you don't go out on fuckin' limbs. You were probably one of those dumbshits thinking the Lakers were Finals poised in '06 after going up 3-1 on the Suns.

And yes, there were quite a few of you. That's how retarded your overall fanbase is.

Actually you are not too far fetched on your assessment mid. The Lakers played really well against the Sam Cassell led Clips. We would have won that series - no doubt. The Mavs that year? We played really well against them too. I believe that was the year Kobe had 62 on them after 3 quarters. You think Wade shitted on them in the Finals, Kobe could have had 80+ on them if PJ would have played him in the 4th qtr. Now against Shaq and Wade, I think we would have gotten our shit pushed in. The hate for the Lakers was strong. Bynum wasn't the player he is today (not that it would have mattered), we had Mihm :lol, and some dude named Kwame.

Make no mistake. Had we gotten past the Suns, things would have been really interesting in those playoffs.

midnightpulp
03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Actually you are not too far fetched on your assessment mid. The Lakers played really well against the Sam Cassell led Clips. We would have won that series - no doubt. The Mavs that year? We played really well against them too. I believe that was the year Kobe had 62 on them after 3 quarters. You think Wade shitted on them in the Finals, Kobe could have had 80+ on them if PJ would have played him in the 4th qtr. Now against Shaq and Wade, I think we would have gotten our shit pushed in. The hate for the Lakers was strong. Bynum wasn't the player he is today (not that it would have mattered), we had Mihm :lol, and some dude named Kwame.

Make no mistake. Had we gotten past the Suns, things would have been really interesting in those playoffs.

Spoken like a true deluded dumbshit homer.

The Mavs would've slaughtered that team, despite Kobe's meaningless regular season outburst. With that, you sound like a Cavs who thought they had a chance in the Finals against the Spurs because they swept them in the regular season.

DeadlyDynasty
03-16-2012, 06:32 PM
1. OKC
2. MEM (w/ Z-Bo, 4th or 5th w/o)
3. LAL
4. SA
5. DAL
6. LAC
7. HOU
8. DEN

DPG21920
03-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm not sold on MEM, but they have that potential for sure.

Stalin
03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Tanking to fuck up another draft? :lol

Co sign

Giuseppe
03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm not sold on MEM, but they have that potential for sure.

tee, hee.

#41 Shoot Em Up
03-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I really don't see the mavs having enough left in the tank when it comes down to it. I think that sure we'll continue to pick it up from our recent shitty play and start looking decent, but when it comes to playoff time I question Dirk's ability to put the team on his back again, which is pretty much what it would take. We're probably a 2nd round exit and will put up a good fight against whoever we go against.

No surprise you think this way.... you're a bigger pole smoker than Kim Kardashian

HarlemHeat37
03-16-2012, 11:38 PM
This is the most wide open West that I can remember, in a minute..

It's all going to depend on matchups IMO..

Lakers lose to Thunder, Thunder lose to Spurs, Spurs lose to Lakers..

A healthy Grizzlies team could be just as good as the other 3 teams, and the Mavs could be, if Odom ever elevates his game..

The rest of the teams in the West won't win the conference, but they will be difficult matchups in the 1st round..

Killakobe81
03-16-2012, 11:57 PM
I think that is correct (I remember reading that, I'll look for the link), but I haven't heard anything recently on that.

My understanding it is possible but not all teams. my guess is the crap series will have a back2back. Doubt LAL or MIA will get one ...

ElNono
03-16-2012, 11:59 PM
The back2back on the playoffs this year are on the 2nd round, IIRC...

ElNono
03-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm going out on a limb and say the Lakers.

uh? :lol

Kamnik
03-17-2012, 04:47 AM
Don't discount Westbrook doing one bonehead move after another when the need for smart play is the biggest.

I think Spurs could do serious damage but it ALL depends on their health.

Latarian Milton
03-17-2012, 05:28 AM
OKC ain't even relevant imho they made the WCF last year which was just as much of a fluke as dem mavs winning championship. they can enjoy the regular season as much as they want but we know they ain't going anywhere further then the 2nd round in the playoffs this year tbh, they just got pwned by that 36yr old TOSB duncan & his spurs last night which didn't happen by accident tbh

DAF86
03-17-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't know, all I know is that the Spurs own OKC.

Venti Quattro
06-28-2012, 03:22 AM
The NBA got the series it wanted and the outcome it wanted even if it finally could not pull a rabbit out and skew it to 7 games or some shit like that.

Re this "artificially induced" finals, I am sure a lot watched and some even cared, that the Heat destroyed the Thunder.

Meanwhile, in all honestly, by far the two best and complete teams (the Bulls and Spurs) were home due to injuries or spurrious officiating at key moments and count the fans of the Celtics, Lakers and Mavs as also rightfully pissed off that their teams simply count not stand in the way of a dream match to end a shortened season. It iwll be peculiar for sure, that for some reason this season unlike the 99 season will not have an * attached to it; but one should be and doubled down as **2012 champs, for in reality the Heat are still a beatable team with no depth and poor skill at at least two positions, but whom somehow got the games called the way they needed for their superstars and of course "redeemed themselves" after last years seemingly equally scripted defeat where the NBA Gods placated Cuban finally.

Therefore, to get in step with what the Commish and the NBA Gods want many of you will coronate the King and revive his countdown to 7. You will surely pray and hope that Howard gets what the hell he really wants. You even will hope D. Williams goes to the Lakers or some such crap as that.
A few of you wil surely also hope that things will work out well for the Lottery lucky (or enhanced) Hornets who went from being owned by the NBA to a tax write off for a car salesman.

However, count me out of really caring for the NBA so much anymore.

For as my 14 y/o said, Dad if they are not going to even give them a chance with the calls why the hell should we watch or even care anymore? One should not and I cannot - so out for at least a long, long time.