PDA

View Full Version : spurs MUST RESIGN HORRY if he opts out

ducks
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
:smokin :smokin :smokin :fro

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 03:49 PM
They should be able to. They will have his Early Bird Rights should be opt out, so they would be able to match any MLE level offer.

nkdlunch
06-20-2005, 03:51 PM
If Spurs win championship, Horry should stay and play for peanuts. He could be in the IL for the whole season and be activated only in the playoffs. Who could refuse a 7th ring?

Dex
06-20-2005, 03:51 PM
If Robert Horry doesn't retire after this season, then he will remain in a Spurs uniform. There is no doubt about that in my mind.

You can tell by the way he talks about this organization that he really respects and appreciates it, as much as any other team he has ever played with. He even said that this is the only team where he's enjoyed both his teammates, and the coaching staff. And you know he loves the city and our lack of the limelight.

Now if Horry decides to ask for a little pay raise, I think he may have earned that much. I highly doubt he would insist upon something unreasonable, knowing that half the players on this team are willfully playing for less than they could be making elsewhere.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 03:52 PM
An interesting thing will be what the Spurs do with their MLE. A portion of it will go to Scola. DBrown and Horry can be re-signed without using the MLE. I'd really like to see the Spurs make a serious offer to Glenn Robinson. I think that with a full training camp and season he would be awesome come playoff time. He's shown that he is willing and able to play team defense so far during his stint with the Spurs. He's only 32 and I think he has another 2 to 3 seasons of solid basketball left in him. I suppose you risk the possibility of not being young enough at the 3 spot if you had him and Bowen there, but Robinson's stroke is too sweet to give up without a fight.

ducks
06-20-2005, 03:55 PM
horry said he wants to play for 2 more years and do coaching or scouting after that

I want to offer some money to big dog

big dog is being good
said he could care less if he plays in the finals
he is playing for a contract (it makes you wonder if there is short of an agreement there )

ducks
06-20-2005, 03:55 PM
mb would you let devin brown go if you get the big dog
if spurs do not think they can afford both

ducks
06-20-2005, 03:56 PM
if spurs could trade barry and their draft pick for an expiring contract after next season

spurs would only be stuck paying everyone one more year

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 03:57 PM
In no way do I want to see the San Antonio Spurs lose Devin Brown.

SWC Bonfire
06-20-2005, 03:57 PM
When it comes time to pay Rob some $, I hope that the spurs realize that they cannot afford to allow Horry to "fall into enemy hands". Either he retires, or the spurs do what they can to keep him. I'm not talking about breaking the bank, but don't be cheap.

CalsonicKansei
06-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Yes Robinson is 32 and has missed a lot of training camp, but I like his aggressivness and that his confidence does not hinder in bad situations and he could get back to his old self. I say sign him. As for Horry I really dont think he is going to join the detroit pistons or anyother team that has a chance at the championship.

weebo
06-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Why would we want to resign Glenn Robinson? We need to get younger not older. Keeping Horry and DBrown is important--GRobinson not.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 04:00 PM
And of course, with every talk about resigning someone, we have to bring up the notorious Luis Scola.

You know, if this guy played a position we actually needed, I'd be more openminded...

ducks
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
be intersting what spurs do
if spurs can extend nazr, horry does not opt out and sign scola
it makes rasho more expendable

Marcus Bryant
I'm not concerned about Horry being re-signed. It's a must, yes. But I am highly confident they will be able to do so and also that he would prefer to return.

I am mildly concerned about Devin. He seems to want to stay in SA. The Spurs need guys like him on the team, competitors who are willing to do what it takes to win.

I am highly concerned about GRobinson. There's always a market in this league for guys who can score.

myhc
If I had to choose between Big Dog and Devin, I'd pick Devin since he's younger and I think he'd want to be here more than Glenn. If you listened to Glenn in some recent interviews, you can tell this season with the Spurs was basically a launching point to get some serious PT with other teams. Devin will be a valuable bench player for us in the future.

spur219
06-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I would choose Devin Brown over Big Dog.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 04:04 PM
be intersting what spurs do
if spurs can extend nazr, horry does not opt out and sign scola
it makes rasho more expendable

Yeah, if the Spurs can lock up Nazr for a reasonable price I expect them to do so.

As for moving Radoslav, do it if a good deal comes along. Otherwise, keep him. Frontcourt depth is hard to come by in this league and he's definitely the top backup center in the league. As much as TD gets banged up during the regular season the Spurs need that depth on the bench. Also, depth allows you to keep the minutes of TD & Horry down during the regular season.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Big Dogg will bolt if he gets a ring. If he doesn't, I see him getting less offers and greater chance of him staying.

There is no reason for us not to get Robert for another season. Unless he wants the challenge of trying to win the title with another contender....ugh...

myhc
06-20-2005, 04:06 PM
I know people here want to trade Rasho for a long SF, but I think Bruce and Devin have that locked up for now. A backup big is definitely a bigger need for us right now, especially a 7 footer who can rebound and defend.

ducks
06-20-2005, 04:08 PM
I think spurs should keep rasho next year
atleast tell the trading deadline
spurs will get a better read on what nazr can and can not do
spurs will have a clue if scola is going to make it in the nba after playing in same games

if spurs can pony up it takes the gambling out of it

spurs should always be able to move rasho

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 04:08 PM
No way, we've been saying that since robinson left and have been expecting robinson in return. We have our bigs, and devin brown doesnt play SF very well.....

He's a good ball handler and should always play the 2 spot

Dre_7
06-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Devin over Big Dogg no question. When Brown is healthy, he has shown he is a big time balla! Keep him!

BTW, whats the word on his back? He just doesnt look like the Devin Brown I am used to seeing. None the less, great to see him on the court.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm a big fan of bench depth. Also, I like the idea of the Spurs having some guys who can put up points coming off the bench. A guy like Big Dog should be deadly in the Spurs' rotation once he has the time to get familiar with his teammates. He and Parker/Manu should be eventually able to run some rather effective screen rolls.

Devin's another guy who can put up points in bunches. He also brings some intangibles to the game. I think that over time he can develop into a dependable postseason performer.

danyel
06-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Even if we dont play him at all until the finals, we just cant take the risk that other team signs him.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Raja Bell is an UFA this summer. He'd be a great pickup too.

myhc
06-20-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd love to have Glenn on the team. But I just don't think it will be possible with the money and playing time he will demand. We're actually too deep right now with Manu, Bruce, Devin, Brent, and now Glenn in the 2/3 slots.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Bell turns 29 in September. Bowen just turned 34 and his deal ends after the 2007-08 season. At some point I think he will move out of the starting lineup. Bell is the same type of defender and he has a good 3 point stroke as well. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see Bell getting a full MLE offer this summer.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-20-2005, 04:35 PM
We also need to get a reliable backup point guard

ducks
06-20-2005, 04:38 PM
give beno another year and he is our man

spurs are not going to be deep in every postion and have 2 backup point guards

in a pinch the spurs have the luxcury of having manu and barry being able to do that
now if spurs trade barry then...

but manu did a fine job last night thank you very much

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Beno is pretty damn reliable, all things considered. I don't really see a need to give up on him. Also, as long as you have Barry around then you can use him there too.

ducks
06-20-2005, 04:40 PM
I like beno because he can hit that three
spurs could use that
horry is not going to last more then 2 more years
spurs can only pray horry can rub off on beno in his clutch shooting

Spurminator
06-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Beno's fine. He's a rookie. You never give up on rookie point guards this soon in their careers.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-20-2005, 04:47 PM
The only way Horry walks if if something sweet came open in Houston (where his family is). Otherwise, he'll take MLE again.

SpursChampsIII
06-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I the Spurs want to keep everybody and add Scola, seems like Marks, Wilks and T-Mass would be first to go.

50 cent
06-20-2005, 05:03 PM
The only way Horry walks if if something sweet came open in Houston (where his family is). Otherwise, he'll take MLE again.
What are you talking about? He doesn't make the MLE right now? He makes the veteren minimum and has a player option at $1.2M next year. :smokin

bigbendbruisebrother
06-20-2005, 06:13 PM
What are you talking about? He doesn't make the MLE right now? He makes the veteren minimum and has a player option at $1.2M next year. :smokin

Sorry. Got my terms mixed up. VM then.

My point was, he's happy where he is.

xcoriate
06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Mass will probably retire if we get the ring. Robinson and Devin are both expendable IMO and if possible I would love to sign and trade Devin for a long 3. I don't know if hes worth enough now that hes had his back injuries though. With Scola coming in we have sufficient backup bigs assuming we keep Horry and Rasho.

Bruce is old and ideally this year or next year has to be the last starting. Hes been phenomenal but its time to pass the torch to someone else, who is the obvious question. I like the idea of Raja Bell but hes 29 already and only 6'5 if memory serves. Hes a 2 guard not a 3 and we already have a log jam at the SG position.

Linton Johnson is the ther possibility but given the injuries hes had who knows what he is actually like, oh except he can't shoot :depressed.

SenorSpur
06-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Horry has to be a Spur for the remainder of his career. No doubt