PDA

View Full Version : End-of-game start-of-clock remote control questions

Solid D
03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
I was watching the end of regulation of the T-Wolves and Jazz game and was amazed, not so much by the blown layup at the buzzer but by the game clock not starting until the play was over with. As many of you may have seen on the highlights, there was .7 seconds remaining on the clock with the Jazz inbounding, sideline out-of-bounds. Just enough time to catch and shoot. Coach Corbin drew up an awesome "line" play where pass option 2 (to Millsap) received a back-pick from option 1 (Hayward) and took an alley-oop for the easy layin (almost). The shot clock never starts until the ball has already circled the rim and was just entering the hands of the T-Wolves' defender for the rebound.

I thought there was an "NBA fail-safe system" in place which gave remote control capability to one of the officiating crew so that there won't be a homer clock operator affecting the outcome of the game.
My questions are: To what was the lateness of the shot clock attributed? Is the remote control option for the officiating crew only available in the playoffs, a la Derek Fisher's .4 sec. play or is it available for all NBA games?