PDA

View Full Version : OKC Win shows Spurs are the best TEAM

SpursNW
03-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Why do people follow the Spurs? Although they only have "above average talent" in the aggregate NBA sense, they continue to have the best TEAM - year in and year out. Yes, many of the players have limitations, e.g. Blair is a short, non-leaping "center, Tony is great but can get consumed by an elite PG like Rose. However, they work together, know their limitations, and are very solid.

Given the above, I do find it interesting that selected people love to dump on specific player(s). Yes, its a fun past time, however, they are who they are.

I give them a 50/50 shot at the Western Title and, if they make it, a real shot at an NBA title.:lobt2:

therealtruth
03-16-2012, 11:56 PM
If the Spurs meet the Thunder in WCF I like their chances just as I liked their chances just like last year. They just need to avoid a team that can punish their lack of frontcourt depth.

SpursRock20
03-17-2012, 12:00 AM
IF the Spurs are healthy and Jackson fits into the role that we need him to play, there are only 2 teams that have a probable chance of beating us from the west. And that is L.A. and Memphis. I just don't buy into O.K.C. To me, Westbrook has a very low B.B. IQ and finds a way to mess up his team's chances down the stretch.

dav4463
03-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Spurs are and have always been a great organization and team. We are very fortunate to follow this team and I don't think we appreciate it enough sometimes. What if our home team was the Bobcats or Raptors?

SpursNW
03-17-2012, 12:02 AM
[They just need to avoid a team that can punish their lack of frontcourt depth]

I definitely agree - playoffs can become a game of halfcourt grind. I really wish we had the twin towers of old. We (and Pop) really need to put Tim and Splitter against the top big team starters (Lakers...) and findout if they can bang and compete. I think they can.

Crazymaddopeyo
03-17-2012, 12:06 AM
"Westbrook rejected by Bonner" Quote of the game. Haters gonna hate.

SpursNW
03-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Spurs are and have always been a great organization and team. We are very fortunate to follow this team and I don't think we appreciate it enough sometimes. What if our home team was the Bobcats or Raptors?

This is a THE point - as a so-called "small market" team, they have posted results above nearly all "big market" teams - in every pro sport. Their mental make-up (tough minded, smart ball) and ownership willing to push the fiscal envelope is great - not the "glitzy", showtime junk that doesn't last (unless your payroll is ultra huge like the Fakers).

Rummpd
03-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Spurs a top tier team in the West lets just enjoy the ride as so many wrote them off as too old, not deep enough, not enough size etc but this team just seems to have an edge missing in the last couple of years - nothing they would do would surprise me including getting out of the West and giving the Heat or Bulls all they can handle in a finals - if they can just stay healthy.

TJastal
03-17-2012, 04:27 AM
If the Spurs meet the Thunder in WCF I like their chances just as I liked their chances just like last year. They just need to avoid a team that can punish their lack of frontcourt depth.

Spurs gotta hope they don't draw Memphis or LA.

TJastal
03-17-2012, 04:31 AM
IF the Spurs are healthy and Jackson fits into the role that we need him to play, there are only 2 teams that have a probable chance of beating us from the west. And that is L.A. and Memphis. I just don't buy into O.K.C. To me, Westbrook has a very low B.B. IQ and finds a way to mess up his team's chances down the stretch.

+1

As tonight showed, OKC is very average when they aren't getting serenaded and paraded to the free throw line by the refs all night.

And despite that, there were still some folks bitching about the "unfair" officiating. All I got to say is, could have been much worse than what we saw and was actually quite fair.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-17-2012, 07:48 AM
OKC is us, last year. If you look at the team D stats, they have slipped badly the last two years to the point they are a middle of the pack team. They are usually one of the best teams on D in the last 3-5 minutes, but if you run out on them early, the game isn't close enough for that to be a factor. Lazy, and it cost them.

dunkman
03-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Regular season games never show anything.

SpursNW
03-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Regular season games never show anything.

I respectfully disagree - OKC prides itself in winning at home and went "all in" for this game. OKC now knows that SA can beat them at home with a reduced squad (no Splitter and Gino). It is in their head and could prove significant during a 7 game series.

FromWayDowntown
03-17-2012, 09:10 AM
I'd be more convinced if the Spurs' wins against OKC hadn't each come on the second night of a Thunder back-to-back and after a Spurs rest day. Still, I think there are signs that this matchup isn't lopsided in the way the basketball media might suggest.

pgardn
03-17-2012, 09:28 AM
We are only as good as our last game, which presently means the best in the West. Which is bovine residue, good win but...

Manu has still not worked himself back fully into this team, even when "healthy". Green and Leonard are still projects. These two are not seasoned NBA Spurs. Tonight was good for these two, the playoffs are a different monster.

Splitter has been the most important addition to actual playing time imo. His size and mobility are very important. This is what gives us much more of a shot vs. teams like Memphis (if Randolph is able to get back into beast mode) and LA. But they are still bad matchups.

Agree with other posters. OKC can play really stupid down the stretch with Westbrook putting his ego on the floor to prove he is the man in crunch time. Westbrook listens to the media's, "the best players want the ball in crunch time"

therealtruth
03-17-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd be more convinced if the Spurs' wins against OKC hadn't each come on the second night of a Thunder back-to-back and after a Spurs rest day. Still, I think there are signs that this matchup isn't lopsided in the way the basketball media might suggest.

The reason why is because of the Spurs defense. If the Spurs play decent defense they are the better team.

SenorSpur
03-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Still dissrespected too.

I got up checked the NBATV schedule to see if they would be replaying the televised games from the previous night - which is normally their custom.

They did replay the first half of the Friday night ESPN double-dip (Sixer-Heat game). However, instead of replaying the Spurs/Thunder, those asswipes elected to replay Celtics/Fakers game from several days ago. Absolutely perposterous.

acoelho1
03-17-2012, 04:54 PM
OKC is a highly emotional team, which will be their undoing in the playoffs this year. However, they will win a championship eventually because Durant and Westbrook are too good not to win it all someday. They are just very young and you normally have to go through a few battles before you win the war.

The Spurs have as good a chance to win it all as anyone. Prior to season, I thought our success would be how well the young guys developed this year and I have been pleasantly surprised by their play. This team is stronger and more physical than last year, which will be needed to get through the west. Adding Sjax was huge and may put us over the top.