PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard is already a beast..

HarlemHeat37
03-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Among players that have played 500 minutes or more, this season, Leonard is 4th in Wins Produced/48, only behind Lebron James, Tyson Chandler and Chris Paul..pretty decent company, tbh..

Over his last 10 games, he's shooting 56% from 3..earlier in the season, he was an offensive liability that killed the spacing on a team that relies on spacing, as much as any other team in the NBA..if he can continue making the 3 at around the 40%+ rate, he'll already qualify as one of the best role players in the NBA IMO..

Following this past game, of all rotation players, this season, Lebron James is the only SF with a better rebound % than Leonard..

As I and many have already said about the RJ trade..the prize isn't Jax, the best feature is that Leonard will receive more minutes..

Let's hope he doesn't hit a wall..

Cant_Be_Faded
03-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Crofl join the club about the trade being all about Leonard

timtonymanu
03-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Great company.

I just hope he's the permanent starter for the rest of the year. The defense looks so much better when he starts.

timtonymanu
03-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Great company.

I just hope he's the permanent starter for the rest of the year. The defense looks so much better when he starts.

Capt Bringdown
03-17-2012, 01:22 AM
I haven't liked much of the FO has done since 2007, but they just went out and got themselves a rookie starter IMO. Great pick.

Leonard >>>> RJ

The_Worlds_finest
03-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Guys hate to bust ur bubble but Matty will now play 48 mins

Spursfanfromafar
03-17-2012, 01:24 AM
IMO the most underrated trade in the offseason - the switch of George Hill for Kawhi and Lorbek's rights.

Can't say enough kudos to Popovich and RCB for this. How the hell did he drop to 15 is the question that one needs to ponder.

The Spurs must have the best scouts in the league. Advanced Stats etc were not quite promising about Kawhi IIRC. It must have been dead eye talent scouting that convinced the Spurs unlike the others.

Unfortunate no one in the media has reported in detail about the Spurs' detailed scouting efforts. But I guess, it is better if it is kept that way. The Spurs' cleverness is a function of their silent hard work and intelligence gathering.

Solid D
03-17-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm sure Pop has noticed. I'll bet Cap'n Buckets noticed also and saw what guys like Danny and Kawhi are doing to get their PT.

HarlemHeat37
03-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Another positive, subtle aspect of acquiring both Leonard and Jackson is that the Spurs have helped negate some of their size deficiencies on the interior, by adding significant length on the perimeter..

The Spurs still desperately need another big, but it helps to have 6'8/9 Small Forwards with long reach..

TDMVPDPOY
03-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Over his last 10 games, he's shooting 56% from 3..earlier in the season, he was an offensive liability that killed the spacing on a team that relies on spacing, as much as any other team in the NBA..if he can continue making the 3 at around the 40%+ rate, he'll already qualify as one of the best role players in the NBA IMO..

not sure if serious, his stuck behind t he big3 as an offensive option, his stuck behind that chucker neal and was behind or always looking to pass which made him look passive when he was with the 2nd unit, he could be scoring more if he was allowed to ballhog the same way neal does to get his game going.

With more minutes now, he should be attacking the rim and creating more for himself then passiing....should be like green sometimes, ballhog once in a while and attack the rim

his ft shooting and 3pt stroke has improve alot

TDMVPDPOY
03-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Another positive, subtle aspect of acquiring both Leonard and Jackson is that the Spurs have helped negate some of their size deficiencies on the interior, by adding significant length on the perimeter..

The Spurs still desperately need another big, but it helps to have 6'8/9 Small Forwards with long reach..

always looking for that long3 since bowens departure, now we got 3 guys and stacked on the wings

Spursfanfromafar
03-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Aah..by the way.. the Spurs are old, boring, conservative and non-athletic -

P6A4ONux9uY

crc21209
03-17-2012, 01:32 AM
It was awesome to see the Thunder with only 14 points with about 3-4 mins to go in the 1st quarter after the Magic dropped 35 in the 1st qtr on us on Wednesday....

Manufan909
03-17-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm sure Pop has noticed. I'll bet Cap'n Buckets noticed also and saw what guys like Danny and Kawhi are doing to get their PT.

Who did Jack mention on twitter, Leonard or Blair?

Fpoonsie
03-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Who did Jack mention on twitter, Leonard or Blair?

Leonard and Green.

link (http://twitter.com/#!/datrillstak5)

Southwest Texas Fan
03-17-2012, 01:47 AM
:lobt2::lobt2:
Among players that have played 500 minutes or more, this season, Leonard is 4th in Wins Produced/48, only behind Lebron James, Tyson Chandler and Chris Paul..pretty decent company, tbh..

Following this past game, of all rotation players, this season, Lebron James is the only SF with a better rebound % than Leonard..

As I and many have already said about the RJ trade..the prize isn't Jax, the best feature is that Leonard will receive more minutes..

Let's hope he doesn't hit a wall..

HH what do you think his ceiling is?

Manufan909
03-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Leonard and Green.

link (http://twitter.com/#!/datrillstak5)

Thanks for the swift reply bro.:toast Glad to know Jax watched the game.

harvcat
03-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Here are some numbers I was looking at trying to get a feel for how good Kawhi can be.

Luol Deng 19 – 27.3 MPG, 11.7 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 2.2 APG, .4 BPG, .8 SPG, 43% FG, 27% 3P, 74% FT, 14.2 PER

Ron Artest 20 – 31.1 MPG, 12 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 2.8 APG, .5 BPG, 1.7 SPG, 41% FG, 31% 3P, 67% FT, 13.9 PER

Gerald Wallace 22 – 30.7 MPG, 11.1 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 2 APG, 1.3 BPG, 1.7 SPG, 45% FG, 27% 3P, 66% FT, 14.1 PER

Kawhi Leonard 20 – 23.4 MPG, 7.5 PPG, 5 RPG, .9 APG, .4 BPG, 1.4 SPG, 48% FG, 37% 3P, 74% FT, 16.2 PER

Manufan909
03-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Here are some numbers I was looking at trying to get a feel for how good Kawhi can be.

Luol Deng 19 – 27.3 MPG, 11.7 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 2.2 APG, .4 BPG, .8 SPG, 43% FG, 27% 3P, 74% FT, 14.2 PER

Ron Artest 20 – 31.1 MPG, 12 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 2.8 APG, .5 BPG, 1.7 SPG, 41% FG, 31% 3P, 67% FT, 13.9 PER

Gerald Wallace 22 – 30.7 MPG, 11.1 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 2 APG, 1.3 BPG, 1.7 SPG, 45% FG, 27% 3P, 66% FT, 14.1 PER

Kawhi Leonard 20 – 23.4 MPG, 7.5 PPG, 5 RPG, .9 APG, .4 BPG, 1.4 SPG, 48% FG, 37% 3P, 74% FT, 16.2 PER

Great first post harvcat!!!! Sadly, you might have set the bar too high for yourself...:downspin:

Wildcat67
03-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Great first post harvcat!!!! Sadly, you might have set the bar too high for yourself...:downspin:

I'd like to know what his stats would be like if we take only the last 15 games, but only if he played 36 minutes.

jesterbobman
03-17-2012, 08:43 AM
IMO the most underrated trade in the offseason - the switch of George Hill for Kawhi and Lorbek's rights.

Can't say enough kudos to Popovich and RCB for this. How the hell did he drop to 15 is the question that one needs to ponder.

The Spurs must have the best scouts in the league. Advanced Stats etc were not quite promising about Kawhi IIRC. It must have been dead eye talent scouting that convinced the Spurs unlike the others.

Unfortunate no one in the media has reported in detail about the Spurs' detailed scouting efforts. But I guess, it is better if it is kept that way. The Spurs' cleverness is a function of their silent hard work and intelligence gathering.

Some of the stats on Kawhi were very promising. The WoW guys, specifically Andres Alvares ranked Kawhi as the 2nd best player in the draft, behind only the Manimal(Kenneth Faried). I would give credit to the Spurs stats department for saying that Kawhi is really good.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Great company.

When you have a lock down defender, you want him to start, unless their key player comes off the bench. I'm convinced that we lost the LAC game because their shooters got loose while he was on the bench.

therealtruth
03-17-2012, 04:39 PM
When you have a lock down defender, you want him to start, unless their key player comes off the bench. I'm convinced that we lost the LAC game because their shooters got loose while he was on the bench.

I have to agree. You want his defense to be able to make the greatest impact.

acoelho1
03-17-2012, 05:05 PM
I hope he continues to start and when Bonner struggles in the playoffs as usual don't be surprised if Leonard soaks up those minutes at power forward.

Thomas82
03-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I hope he continues to start and when Bonner struggles in the playoffs as usual don't be surprised if Leonard soaks up those minutes at power forward.

He just needs to start PERIOD.

Harry Callahan
03-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Leonard was an excellent acquisition, that's clear now.

And to think he is only 20 years old.

The FO is trying to put together the next wave of Spurs even as the old guard is still making a big impact this year.

Hopefully Manu can get on the bandwagon soon.

Bill_Brasky
03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
16/9 tonight and he coulda done more....

100%duncan
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Just proved this more from tonight's game. Beast!

BackHome
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM

Don't get a head of yourself they still drafted CJ.........but yeah Kawhi is a beast and if we get Lobrek we are looking pretty!

AztecSpur
03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
KL makes me proud to be an Aztec Alum, and join the Spurs bandwagon.

BTW, I've booked a week vacation in SA, so looking forward to the Laker game on Apr 11th to wear my Kawhi jersey until I saw the prices. $200 for Plaza Center. I thought you guys were a small market.

Nathan Explosion
03-21-2012, 11:39 PM

BTW, I've booked a week vacation in SA, so looking forward to the Laker game on Apr 11th to wear my Kawhi jersey until I saw the prices. $200 for Plaza Center. I thought you guys were a small market.

Doesn't matter how small the market, when the Lakers come to town, tickets cost. In LA I'm sure those tickets go for more than $200 though.

ducks
03-21-2012, 11:44 PM
dude parker is going to have help to lead this team to a title without duncan when he retires

Beanzamillion21
03-21-2012, 11:46 PM

Your rockin the Kawhi, Aztec Jersey?

T Park
03-21-2012, 11:56 PM

Supply and demand. Your complaining about tickets to see them
Play the Lakers lol.

Chase_the_Bass
03-22-2012, 01:34 AM

We're glad to have you!

:flag:

heyheymymy
03-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Kawhi is the perfect Spur. I love his athleticism and his focus seems sharp for a rookie. He seems to already understand what's expected of him on the court. Shoots pretty good FTs too for such huge hands. Also has great handles in the open court as obviously demonstrated.

Best part about Kawhi so far was when he slammed it down on Ibaka and Durant in the recent OKC game and barely even smiled- let alone pounded his chest and taunted the crowd/opponent. A textbook Spur.

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2012, 05:43 AM
i think he can be a +20ppg 8rpg +2spg player...if he was 1st or 2nd option

Thomas82
03-22-2012, 06:24 AM

Co-sign

Spurious
03-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Dude is obviously that rare blend of quick, strong, fearless and focused. Love him.

100%duncan
03-22-2012, 08:14 AM

Soon brotha, really really soon.

DBMethos
03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Dude is obviously that rare blend of quick, strong, fearless and focused. Love him.

Not to mention humble, hard-working and eager to learn. We really got a gem on our hands. :toast

MannyIsGod
03-22-2012, 08:53 AM

I love that Leonard is on the Spurs and he's a beast but SDSU can suck it.

Go Lobos, scoreboard!

AztecSpur
03-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Your rockin the Kawhi, Aztec Jersey?

Oh yeah, but I'll be buying the KL Spurs Jersey while I'm visiting and can't wait to wear it the Aztec games next year.

Looks like KL will be a Spur for a long time.

Maddog
03-22-2012, 01:50 PM

They also got the pick that they used on Davis Bertans the 19 yo 6'10" latvian shooter
Already Leonard for Hill is a good trade, but if either Lorbek or Bertans becomes a contributor it's becomes an incredible deal.

Dingle Barry
03-22-2012, 03:15 PM

A whole week vacation in SA?? Bring some books :toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Kid is simply an excellent all-around balla. Will be an All-Star by his 5th season. Book it.

Yorae
03-22-2012, 08:42 PM
With the way he's progressing, I think it would be a little earlier than that...

SamoanTD
03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Hes just a man among boys out there lol

NASpurs
03-22-2012, 08:56 PM
It's not a far-fetched thing to say that he's more than likely going to be better than Sean Elliott right?

Snow
03-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Pippen is his floor

:tongue

urunobili
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
meant to post this one this one thread:

is it too early to claim that Spurs fans are happier with Leonard than what they would have been with Batum? :stirpot:

yavozerb
03-22-2012, 09:40 PM
meant to post this one this one thread:

I would have prefered both, but having Kawhi with Jax is a close second...

Bartleby
03-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Kawhi getting some props on nba.com with a spot back on the rookie ladder and video of his dunk over Ibaka.

Cow Eye
03-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Aah..by the way.. the Spurs are old, boring, conservative and non-athletic -

P6A4ONux9uY

And if that were Blake Griffin doing the exact same thing it would have been the #1 highlight of the week and shown no less than 50 times on each sports show.

Leonard has definitely exceeded my expectations what with him being a rookie. The best part is I don't think he's even reached his full potential yet.

Spurs Brazil
03-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Buck_SA Diaw, Jackson make Spurs as versatile and as deep as they've ever been. But coaches would tell you this: Kawhi is the one who is special.

wut
03-24-2012, 10:08 AM

great take; completely agree.

When it comes to the media, they are focused on east/westcoast large markets during the season to make profits, but come playoff time they're forced to expand coverage because of the teams left aren't always large markets....which is why Spurs always get ignored until playoff time. Even this being the case, it's like you say, I doubt the media will even notice the complexity of what Spurs FO did over this past year.

The Spurs FO have been silently rebuilding the team for Duncan and Manu's retirements. Other NBA GMs should be in awe. :)

Other teams rely solely on the draft, what outside analysts say about those draft picks and trading overrated big name players to improve.

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2012, 05:12 AM
arguing with some rocketclown on realgm who thinks parson is better then KL, whatta joke ass franchise fan base still hyping up their team, whatever happen to finishing 2nd in the west..fkn clowns

pgardn
03-25-2012, 07:53 AM
imo Leonard is lucky he plays for us. He is not being asked to do to much like Parsons. Yet he is talented enough and composed enough he can show off what he does do well.

Last night was not a good defensive game for the kid on the whole. He had some very blatant defensive breakdowns like not blocking out the shooter he is covering and letting him saunter by after missing a shot resulting in a layup. Very basic stuff that does not even require legs (if he was perhaps tired),

That being said it is amazing how well he plays at his age. If he actually puts on some more mature muscle later, and develops a little stop and pop jumper... He definitely is more secure with set shots when not near the rim.

apalisoc_9
02-14-2015, 01:43 PM
agree

G-Dawgg
02-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Leonard still has lots to learn. If his jumpshot is not falling he needs to make adjustments and either score in the post or drive to the hoop and draw fouls.

apalisoc_9
03-02-2015, 11:55 PM
damn OP =nostradamus

timtonymanu
03-03-2015, 12:08 AM
Pop really struck gold during that season.

Traded for Leonard. Picked up Diaw and MVPatty. Traded RJ.

bklynspursfan
03-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Pop really struck gold during that season.

Traded for Leonard. Picked up Diaw and MVPatty. Traded RJ.

The move for Jack was great. I remember being so excited just to have someone like him in return for RJ. TD loved the move, I think I remember him saying something like (in regards to the moves they made) "it shows we're trying to win this thing". It was a great year. The ending ,I could do without. But fun times , the 20 game win streak.