PDA

View Full Version : The 70th match-up between Duncan & Nowitzki

Rapper
03-18-2012, 07:14 AM
The mavs -spurs games last night was their 70th match- up
(regular seasons 44 /playoffs 26). what a rivalry!!

Theoretically.Dirk knows Timmy how to score the way Duncan realizes Nowitzki how to guard him in every post up. I think both of TD and Dirk don't need to watch any video of each other before the games. looking forward to the 100th in the near future

http://gb.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2007/10/10/st071010019.jpg

jiggy_55
03-18-2012, 07:55 AM
What's the record of Spurs wins to Dallas wins in that span?

Sportstudi
03-18-2012, 08:55 AM
What's the record of Spurs wins to Dallas wins in that span?

Here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nowitdi01&p2=duncati01) you are.

dunkman
03-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Dirk is very under-rated. His career was almost as good as Duncans, and he's better since around 2007.

Amarelooms
03-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Dirk is closer to Duncan than most of you homers admit. If he had Parker and Flopnobli in their prime he'd have 1-2 more rings at least. Props to Duncan....top 3 PF for sure. Props to my nigga Dirk for being so great despite being a slowly unathletic tall white dude.

:elephant

tmtcsc
03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
The mavs -spurs games last night was their 70th match- up
(regular seasons 44 /playoffs 26). what a rivalry!!

Theoretically.Dirk knows Timmy how to score the way Duncan realizes Nowitzki how to guard him in every post up. I think both of TD and Dirk don't need to watch any video of each other before the games. looking forward to the 100th in the near future

http://gb.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2007/10/10/st071010019.jpg

China's a helluva drug.

widowmaker
03-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Dirk is closer to Duncan than most of you homers admit. If he had Parker and Flopnobli in their prime he'd have 1-2 more rings at least. Props to Duncan....top 3 PF for sure. Props to my nigga Dirk for being so great despite being a slowly unathletic tall white dude.

Na I doubt it.

VBM
03-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Thing is Cuban's never been shy about spending to put people around Dirk. Also, Dirk has Nash, Josh Howard before he smoked himself out, Michael Finley, NVE, Damp, Devin Harris, Stack, JET (not all at one time, sure, but he's always had at least two other solid contributors next to him).

GSH
03-18-2012, 10:30 AM
looking forward to the 100th in the near future

Just so long as they reach 77 this season, I'll be happy. (Spurs in 6.)

dude1394
03-18-2012, 10:52 AM
If we could have gotten Popovich instead of that nut Avery you foisted upon us I like our chances at a few more.

Juggity
03-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Props to Duncan....top 3 PF for sure.

:lol

dude1394
03-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nowitdi01&p2=duncati01) you are.

Wow....really interesting. Two unbelievable players.. I would have liked to have had better coaching to see how it would have played out.

Timmah has been a stud.. I didn't realize the wins/losses were so close.

GSH
03-18-2012, 11:02 AM
If we could have gotten Popovich instead of that nut Avery you foisted upon us I like our chances at a few more.

I just choked on my cereal. :lol

Horse
03-18-2012, 12:08 PM

RAhahahahaha dirk in a great OFFENSIVE player one of the best ever, but he's a one-way player, never played D and should rebound better at his size.

Hoops Czar
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Thing is Cuban's never been shy about spending to put people around Dirk. Also, Dirk has Nash, Josh Howard before he smoked himself out, Michael Finley, NVE, Damp, Devin Harris, Stack, JET (not all at one time, sure, but he's always had at least two other solid contributors next to him).

Nash wasn't Nash until he got to Pho.
Josh Howard never reached his full potential
Michael Finley was mostly a jumpshooter, Jason Terry lite
Devin Harris never reached his full potential and is now a 3rd or 4th tier Pg in the league.

Ginobili and Parker are more than solid contributers for the Spurs. And lets not forget Robinson either. Dirk has pretty much done it all on his own.

DesignatedT
03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
LOL Dirk is close to Duncan. GTFO.

pgardn
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Matchup...

They rarely cover each other.

And they are completely different types of players. Duncan has been able to dominate games for one basic reason. He plays the post. And Mav fans must never forget how in the world they lost to Miami in the Finals.

Duncan and group have never ever choked on a bratwurst like that.

pgardn
03-18-2012, 12:41 PM

They have selective memory that spans basically 2 seasons.

DesignatedT
03-18-2012, 12:43 PM
So stupid. It's disrespectful to Duncan to even mention that german fuck in the same sentence.

Fabbs
03-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Amen.
Kobwitskis pampering has been stomach churning.
At it's worst in 2006 playoffs when injured Duncs flat owned him.

See from last nights game the pampering continues.

slayermin
03-18-2012, 01:18 PM
lol TD has a higher 3pt pct.

ajh18
03-18-2012, 01:25 PM
People here are really selling Dirk short, in my opinion.

He's not at Tim Duncan's level, for the same reason guys like Karl Malone and Charles Barkley aren't: Duncan was/is an offensive AND defensive force capable of completely dominating the game on either end of the court.

Dirk has a lot of things going for him though. Compare him to a guy like Karl Malone. Very similar as a rebounder and scorer, with probably a bit more range (and no John Stockton). Also, call him soft, blame Michael Jordan, whatever you want... Dirk won a title as the man and has never had the issues with teammates like Malone did.

I think at PF, it's pretty clear that when taking into account offense, defense, rebounding, consistency, and leadership, Duncan is the greatest of all time. But there can be a real argument made for any of Dirk, Garnett, Malone, or Barkley as 2-5 on that list.

VBM
03-18-2012, 01:27 PM
nash wasn't nash until he got to pho.
Josh howard never reached his full potential
michael finley was mostly a jumpshooter, jason terry lite
devin harris never reached his full potential and is now a 3rd or 4th tier pg in the league.

Ginobili and parker are more than solid contributers for the spurs. And lets not forget robinson either. Dirk has pretty much done it all on his own.

slayermin
03-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Is Dirk even really a power forward? I consider him more of a small forward than a power forward.

therealtruth
03-18-2012, 01:46 PM
People here are really selling Dirk short, in my opinion.

He's not at Tim Duncan's level, for the same reason guys like Karl Malone and Charles Barkley aren't: Duncan was/is an offensive AND defensive force capable of completely dominating the game on either end of the court.

Dirk has a lot of things going for him though. Compare him to a guy like Karl Malone. Very similar as a rebounder and scorer, with probably a bit more range (and no John Stockton). Also, call him soft, blame Michael Jordan, whatever you want... Dirk won a title as the man and has never had the issues with teammates like Malone did.

I think at PF, it's pretty clear that when taking into account offense, defense, rebounding, consistency, and leadership, Duncan is the greatest of all time. But there can be a real argument made for any of Dirk, Garnett, Malone, or Barkley as 2-5 on that list.

Pretty much sums it up. TD was 1st team NBA and 1st team defense for most of his career.

therealtruth
03-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Is Dirk even really a power forward? I consider him more of a small forward than a power forward.

Your kidding. Dirk hasn't played small forward in years.

Johnny RIngo
03-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Duncan might have five or six rings if Holt wasn't so goddamn cheap

dude1394
03-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Matchup...

And they are completely different types of players. Duncan has been able to dominate games for one basic reason. He plays the post. And Mav fans must never forget how in the world they lost to Miami in the Finals.

They never had to have the idiot Avery barking in their ears, moving them from hotel to hotel, having an offense that couldn't even get he ball to dirk except at the three point line and consisting of dirk going one on three. I would have loved to have seen dirk with pop.

Hoops Czar
03-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Admiral, Gino, Parker, Jackson, Bowen... probably the best Spurs team in the Duncan Era. Duncan has always had a better supporting cast than Dirk.

dude1394
03-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Matchup...

They choked on Memphis BBQ last year. Top seed, number 8 and all that.

dude1394
03-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Matchup...

So stupid. It's disrespectful to Duncan to even mention that german fuck in the same sentence.

Wow I expect some idiocy from spurs fans, but sometimes you outdo yourself.

Hoops Czar
03-18-2012, 02:09 PM

. 4 and Gino's bonehead foul cost them a shot at 5. Things went downhill quickly when they traded for RJ, they still haven't totally recovered.

VBM
03-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Admiral, Gino, Parker, Jackson, Bowen... probably the best Spurs team in the Duncan Era. Duncan has always had a better supporting cast than Dirk.

2003 Admiral was a shell of himself. Parker was young and constantly drew Pop's ire (dude was even benched for Speedy Claxton during money time at times). Ginobili was a rookie. Jax was a journeyman. Bowen was a monster defensively, but like the others around Duncan, couldn't be counted on for consistent offensive production.

pgardn
03-18-2012, 04:37 PM

Uhhh...

We did not choke.
We got beaten by a better team with our best player injured.
There is a difference.

Do you remember up by 2 games and up in the 4th quarter huge? You cannot forget that. Which is why I admire Dallas fans. If you can go through that type of complete meltdown, you are really a fan.

There was not one Dallas fan who thought they would win the championship last year because of their past. Avery or not. Dallas fans were hating on Rick Carlisle last year BEFORE the playoffs. Get your stupid grass plains, cattle driving mentality back to the city of glass and traffic.

therealtruth
03-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Agree. There's no championships for winning with the lowest payroll.

therealtruth
03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
. 4 and Gino's bonehead foul cost them a shot at 5. Things went downhill quickly when they traded for RJ, they still haven't totally recovered.

That's some selective memory. They don't even get to game 7 or take the lead in game 7 without the bonehead Ginobili.

DMC
03-18-2012, 06:40 PM
RAhahahahaha dirk in a great OFFENSIVE player one of the best ever, but he's a one-way player, never played D and should rebound better at his size.
Dirk is so good on offense that his rebounding and defense look pale in comparison, but what he brings on offense is fucking great. That's why a guy like Tyson made them so much better.

DMC
03-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Memphis Pit BBQ isn't a bad thing if you have to choke.

FromWayDowntown
03-18-2012, 07:41 PM

This is a fascinating thing in this forum.

When the Spurs are compared to anyone in a given season, the other team's supporting cast is almost always argued to be better and guys like Parker and Ginobili are always -- the argument goes -- horribly overrated.

When it comes to Tim Duncan's career legacy, you'd think he was solely the product of his supporting casts.

That aside, I agree that Dirk is horribly underrated on this board. He's undoubtedly one of the elite of the elite in the history of the game. As much as I've been tempted to hate him at various points in time, as a basketball fan, it's been a distinct pleasure to get to see him play up close so often over the course of his career.

dude1394
03-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Same goes here for watching timmah. Ginobbli/Bowen... Not so much. :)

shyne
03-18-2012, 09:43 PM

Better than choking on faggoty golden state cock.

timvp
03-18-2012, 10:56 PM
I've always rooted for Dirk a little bit just because I want him to pass Garnett on the all-time best power forward list. I think last year's championship did it, tbh. Can anyone still argue that KG has had a better career than Nowitzki?

ducks
03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
dirk makes some unreal baskets

Arcadian
03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
I've always rooted for Dirk a little bit just because I want him to pass Garnett on the all-time best power forward list. I think last year's championship did it, tbh. Can anyone still argue that KG has had a better career than Nowitzki?

It depends. Do you compare them at their peaks, or average over their whole careers? 2004 Garnett was one of the best single seasons in history. He averaged 24 points, 14 rebounds, and 5 assists, and was a dominant defender. That was the year when he basically played all five positions for his team. I would take 2004 Garnett over 2007 Nowitzki for sure.

pgardn
03-18-2012, 11:10 PM

I think it will be much more difficult to argue Nowitzki has been a more dominant player than Duncan once they are both retired. Much, much more difficult.

therealtruth
03-19-2012, 12:55 AM

Garnett's defense, rebounding, and playmaking were vastly superior to Dirk.

Hoops Czar
03-19-2012, 01:11 AM
That's some selective memory. They don't even get to game 7 or take the lead in game 7 without the bonehead Ginobili.

Well, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Everybody remembers the shot but forget the steps leading up to it. Ginobili's shot never would have came to fruition if it weren't for Duncan's 3rd quarter and a pair of Finley three's.

They wouldn't have even gotten to game 7 if it weren't for Parker and Duncan either.