PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Jack’s back, and there’s a glimpse of what he was

Spurs Brazil
03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/03/17/jack%E2%80%99s-back-and-there%E2%80%99s-a-glimpse-of-what-he-was/

“Every day,” Jackson said Saturday, “I wish I wouldn’t have ever left.”

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2012, 08:42 AM
last night felt like he had never left us....fck the defense on dirk was fkn sick bro, sick!!!

SenorSpur
03-18-2012, 09:04 AM
It was strange and yet pleasantly unusual to see a Spurs defender, not named Bowen, get up in the face and jock of Dirk, in the manner in which Jackson did. Despite the loss, watching that confrontation was the best part of the whole game.

Old School 44
03-18-2012, 09:52 AM
It was great seeing Kerr go off, but I always felt Jackson never got the credit he deserved for Game 6 versus Dallas.

Same thing in the Finals Game 6 versus NJ. With Duncan turning in one of the best performances in Finals history and it being David's last game, Jack's 4th quarter 3's took a backseat.

Welcome back Jack!
Btw...2003 Spurs Championship DVD, the best of them all.

silverblk mystix
03-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Like I said a couple of days ago...can't wait to see him guarding Dirk...

Now...can't wait to see Jax guard Kobe....

100%duncan
03-18-2012, 10:02 AM
It was great seeing Kerr go off, but I always felt Jackson never got the credit he deserved for Game 6 versus Dallas.

Same thing in the Finals Game 6 versus NJ. With Duncan turning in one of the best performances in Finals history and it being David's last game, Jack's 4th quarter 3's took a backseat.

Welcome back Jack!

agreed although 05 was definitely close

tmtcsc
03-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Welcome back Jack!

:toast

GSH
03-18-2012, 10:23 AM
"He won't fully return, because the Spurs don't need him for 35 minutes per game."

I'm not so sure about that. Jefferson has been putting in 28.5 minutes. He could damn sure fill all of those. He hasn't played all that much this season, so he ought to be fresh enough. I don't know, 35 minutes might be just about right.

T Park
03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
the 03 video with the 4th quarters is still great viewing and makes it the best.

The Dallas 4th quarter was worth the price alone

loveforthegame
03-18-2012, 10:48 AM
With just a few exceptions he fit right in for his first game. It was so damn good to see. The toughness and defense alone makes this a flawless trade. Once he finds his niche on offense look out.

T Park
03-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Agreed, if Jackson can give you that effort on defense every night, why the hell not could he play 28 mins a night?

DPG21920
03-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Agreed, if Jackson can give you that effort on defense every night, why the hell not could he play 28 mins a night?

I'm not saying this to be snarky, but Pop has abandoned truly caring about which players defend; at least to the extent where it determines minutes. There's a reason RJ sopped up the most minutes on the team other than TP and why Blair starts and Bonner gets more PT on a consistent basis than Tiago.

There are other factors too, but Pop does not feel defense is a deciding factor anymore.

DMC
03-18-2012, 11:21 AM
What we saw from Jackson last night was good, but I really liked what we didn't see, which is him trying to force himself into the offense. He didn't stick out like a sore thumb. How does that happen in game 1? RJ stuck out after almost 3 years, lax at times and overly assertive at rare other times after being told he played like a dog (a bitch would be more accurate).

therealtruth
03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm not saying this to be snarky, but Pop has abandoned truly caring about which players defend; at least to the extent where it determines minutes. There's a reason RJ sopped up the most minutes on the team other than TP and why Blair starts and Bonner gets more PT on a consistent basis than Tiago.

There are other factors too, but Pop does not feel defense is a deciding factor anymore.

He's got enough players that can defend to pull people if they're not defending. If there's no repercussions for not defending players won't try harder.

Budkin
03-18-2012, 03:43 PM
We would have repeated in 2004 had he stayed. Our shooting went ice cold against the Lakers that year.

timvp
03-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Great article by Buck.

Yeah, 2003 WCF Game 6 is remembered for Steve Kerr's shots but I've always said Stephen Jackson was the biggest reason why the Spurs won that game. Kerr didn't explode until after Jackson carried the team back into contention.

I don't agree with this line:

Having been away nine years, he returned to play for the same coach who ran the same plays for the same three stars.

The 2003 team had Duncan as the superdupersuperstar. Parker, Ginobili, Jackson, Robinson, Bowen and Rose were just interchangeable parts behind Duncan. The Big 3 didn't emerge until the 2005 season, tbh.

timvp
03-18-2012, 04:04 PM
We would have repeated in 2004 had he stayed.Not sure about that because SJax didn't do anything against the Lakers in 2003. Phil Jackson always made a point to cover SJax, so the choking of 2004 probably still happens.

But do the Spurs lose to the Mavs in 2006 with SJax? No way. SJax to cover Dirk and Bowen free to cover Terry or Harris or whoever else?

Damn :depressed

m>s
03-18-2012, 04:14 PM
s-jack is just one player who can make instant impact and it's great to have such a player anytime

jag
03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
It's nice to add a fiery player like Jackson to a group of guys that sometimes need a kick in the ass. He wants to prove he can still play, and he wants to prove he's a winner. It also helps he's coming into a situation he's comfortable with.

tmtcsc
03-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Great article by Buck.

Yeah, 2003 WCF Game 6 is remembered for Steve Kerr's shots but I've always said Stephen Jackson was the biggest reason why the Spurs won that game. Kerr didn't explode until after Jackson carried the team back into contention.

I don't agree with this line:

The 2003 team had Duncan as the superdupersuperstar. Parker, Ginobili, Jackson, Robinson, Bowen and Rose were just interchangeable parts behind Duncan. The Big 3 didn't emerge until the 2005 season, tbh.

Agree 100%. Jackson got it all started with his three's. That was an awesome quarter and a half. I remember being so pissed off that Pop was being stubborn and not putting in Kerr. When he finally did, Kerr delivered and helped us run away from the Mavs.

And yeah, Tony was far from being part of the Big anything. He was more like the big " ? " and Manu was just a rookie. . We needed Speedy that year because Tony was playing like a knuckle head that season. In fact, he was sick for game 6 against the Mavs wasn't he ?

Mr. Body
03-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, the big story line of the Finals was the impending sign and trade of Jason Kidd for Parker.

therealtruth
03-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Not sure about that because SJax didn't do anything against the Lakers in 2003. Phil Jackson always made a point to cover SJax, so the choking of 2004 probably still happens.

But do the Spurs lose to the Mavs in 2006 with SJax? No way. SJax to cover Dirk and Bowen free to cover Terry or Harris or whoever else?

SJax probably doesn't choke like Turkogulu.

ElNono
03-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Agreed. Plus the Spurs ran 4-down like 75% of the game back in '03. TD was that dominant.

Obstructed_View
03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Not sure about that because SJax didn't do anything against the Lakers in 2003. Phil Jackson always made a point to cover SJax, so the choking of 2004 probably still happens.

Spurs went 4-1 against the Lakers when Jack was a Spur. I'd have certainly liked to see his heart there when it looked like the Spurs didn't have any.

Obstructed_View
03-18-2012, 06:21 PM
The best part for me was how angry Dirk was before he even got the ball against Jack the first time. Dirk gets really pissy if someone dares to touch him on defense. That first shoulder he threw into Jack for the charge was inevitable from the time Jack checked him.

Stalin
03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
jackson clearly bothered dirk, he missed some of the midrange fadeways he usually makes

rasho8
03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
So can we bring in Bowen to teach Kawhi the Art of Defense? If we have another Bowen to scrap with SJax we would finally have a defense again.

Ice009
03-18-2012, 07:01 PM
So can we bring in Bowen to teach Kawhi the Art of Defense? If we have another Bowen to scrap with SJax we would finally have a defense again.

Ahh still need an interior defense. Blair and Bonner are nowhere near good enough defensively.

Sean Cagney
03-18-2012, 07:22 PM

That title would be on Ice in 06 if he was in SA, never doubted that. I wish he never left man :( I am glad he got a title here though, most would kill for the shot at a title and he contributed bigtime.

spurs10
03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
The best part for me was how angry Dirk was before he even got the ball against Jack the first time. Dirk gets really pissy if someone dares to touch him on defense. That first shoulder he threw into Jack for the charge was inevitable from the time Jack checked him.
Sean and Bill showed several of Dirk's blatant no-call fouls against Manu. It was great seeing Jack get under his skin.
:ihit

FromWayDowntown
03-18-2012, 07:50 PM

I think it goes further than that; if Jax is here in 2006, the Spurs have an interesting wing option to deal with Bonzi Wells in Round 1, who almost single-handedly extended that series -- and might well have closed out Sacramento in fewer than 6 games. I've always thought -- and it's sheer speculation -- that having to go back to SAC for Game 6 was a major contributing factor to the Spurs loss in Round 2 to Dallas. It put another game on the odometer, it resulted in a minor injury to Parker, and it forced the Spurs to play Game 1 on a very short turnaround (which I think made some difference to losing Game 2 the way the Spurs did against Dallas).

Brutalis
03-18-2012, 11:28 PM

What if's are a killer.

PublicOption
03-19-2012, 01:03 AM
I like that he is wearing his old spurs #3.

Slippy
03-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Wow. I don't remember anything about Jax refusing to sub in during his 02 season lead to pop's dog-house. Sure, it was part of the learning curve Jax needed to have but didn't think it got to that extreme with his coach.

ace3g
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN

Close

Stephen Jackson, addressing SA media in full for 1st time since trade,said he cried tears of joy when informed he was headed back to Spurs.

Jack says not much has changed about the organization since he left in 2003. "R.C. (Buford) still looks 16."

Jack, when asked if he can recapture magic from 2003: "It's not if I can. I have to."

And then my favorite Jack quote from today: “I’m going to be my normal self. .... I still make love to pressure."

Mel_13
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
When is the last time a team had a fully engaged, motivated Stephen Jackson?

Golden State 2007, maybe?

Can't wait for Wednesday night. Bowen and Jackson.

TJastal
03-19-2012, 01:04 PM
"R.C. (Buford) still looks 16."

:rollin

timtonymanu
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
When is the last time a team had a fully engaged, motivated Stephen Jackson?

Golden State 2007, maybe?

Can't wait for Wednesday night. Bowen and Jackson.

:tu Perfect timing for Jackson to come back.

timtonymanu
03-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Jack's highlights from the Dallas game:

ndVM2jpyFJ0

ace3g
03-21-2012, 12:24 AM
t27zNs4vG-c

FrXnwwWhODo

Different view of "I still make love to pressure"
-66RsGVp_ws

SB Nation giving Spurs props for Jackson trade
AMsGm7NcVP4

Nathan89
03-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the videos.

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
if we win it all this year or next year while his still contracted here

do you think the spurs going to give a good extention to finish his career here, whether its starting or bench role...with his minutes being controlled to prolong his career like duncans?

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
if we win it all this year or next year while his still contracted here

do you think the spurs going to give a good extention to finish his career here, whether its starting or bench role...with his minutes being controlled to prolong his career like duncans?

Obstructed_View
03-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Someone needs to explain what "flop" means for Mark Followill, because he clearly doesn't know one when he sees it. They also thought the forearm to Manu was a flop.