PDA

View Full Version : New Manu interview

ElNono
03-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Ginobili: The goal isn't to put numbers in these games, just be healthy and ready for the playoffs.

- How do you analyze Stephen Jackson's return and the moves the team made lately?

I'm excited. I had a great time with Jackson. We only played for a year, and it was like 54 years ago more or less. 2003 seems like a long time ago! I have an excellent relationship with him, and so does Tim (Duncan) and Tony (Parker): we were all in that team. There's a lot of good vibes and he's coming with a lot of hunger, because he had a few bad seasons in environments that didn't motivate him. I'm happy, excited. I hope the team gets better.

- You didn't play against Oklahoma but you did against Dallas. Was it only prevention?

Yes. I'm not in shape yet to play two games in a row. Muscularly I'm still "backwards", so I have to take care of myself. And Pop is taking care of me. The goal isn't to put up numbers in the next five or ten upcoming games, but just be healthy and ready for the playoffs. We're going to be keeping an eye on things, because I don't want another setback and lose another two weeks, because at this stage it would mean wasting the season. I have to manage my energy and my body.

- Sound logical, because the team itself it's managing energy and the players since this is an atypical season and everybody has to reach the playoffs in optimal shape.

In the games I already have a limit set of 24 minutes, so I'm already under control and I really can't express my game. I'm managing and Pop wants to make sure we don't screw up, so we're going slowly.

- Luckily you guys seem to have a rejuvenated Tim Duncan and an extraordinary Tony Parker, at an MVP level. What do you think?

Tony is amazing. He's playing at an incredible level, controlling the game, finishing the games when he has to do it, and on top of that he's running from minute 1 to minute 48, and yesterday against Dallas he didn't have enough legs. He must be one of the top 5 candidates for MVP this season. He's the reason we're sitting at number two in the West. And Tim is playing great in these games too. You can see he's healthy, hungry and playing well. It could be a big season. I'm excited and I'm hoping I can fit with the group.

- Is there any player or team that got your attention, or is everything even?

To be honest, everything is within what was known. Maybe nobody thought Boston would have a weak season like they're having. The Lakers started a little low but slowly they're taking shape. Everything is more or less as expected. I think the Clippers are higher than expected, because even though they have great players and team, everybody thought it would take a little longer to find the chemistry, but they're playing well and it's a tough team.

- And what player does impress you when you play against him?

Durant and Westbrook are physically different: two guys that play with a speed and ease that anybody else would have problem with but they do it naturally. But in that group is also Wade and Lebron, or Derrick Rose. Or you see Blake Griffin and it's scary. You can't believe it. When you think nobody can jump higher, another one shows up. And when you think you can't be quicker, like Chris Paul o Tony Parker were, you get Rose and Westbrook. After Lebron came Blake Griffin, and they raise the bar and make it hard to compete. When you think you have them, they recover and they block you, they run at you or do things that make you say "It can't be". You have to face them everyday and you don't stop getting amazed. They're constant, and they have such a talent and such a gift athletically that it's scary.

Link to original interview in Spanish (incl spanish audio) (http://recontravaleradio.com.ar/2012/03/ginobili-el-objetivo-no-es-hacer-numeros-en-estos-partidos-sino-estar-sano-y-bien-para-los-playoffs/)

Spur|n|Austin
03-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Thanks, ElNono!

TE
03-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Seems like he's very prudent in emphasizing being healthy for the playoffs. I really hope it all pays off in the playoffs. Ever since 2007, either one of the big three have been plagued by injuries and while that's not the entire excuse for postseason failure, it definitely plays a big part on postseason success. If the big three are healthy going into the playoffs, I predict at the very minimum a WCF ceiling. From there anything can happen.

ElNono
03-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Heads up to arles for providing the link...

jjktkk
03-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Thanks for sharing El. :tu

Borosai
03-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Stay healthy, my friends.

spurs10
03-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks ElNono! It's liikely not easy to manage the minutes of someone as competive as Manu. We can only hope he's fit for the playoffs, and TP and Tim are still going strong.

TJastal
03-19-2012, 02:14 AM
While I think there are legitimate injury concerns, I think Pop finally realized the first unit was better off with the ball mainly in Parker's hands this year (after a stint or two of Manu starting) and has now started deliberately throttling Manu's minutes and relegating him to bench duty. Which is ultimately the best thing for the team, like I have been saying for literally months. Kudos to Pop for realizing this.

Here's the rub though. Once playoffs roll around, then what? Does Pop come up with a different excuse for keeping Manu on the bench? Should be interesting to see how Pop spins it. But I also know Manu is a very intelligent guy so I'm guessing he already knows the real score and won't make waves.

ElNono
03-19-2012, 02:16 AM
With the way the season has developed for Manu, I don't think he cares one bit if he comes off the bench... as he always says, it's finishing what matters.

timvp
03-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Tony is amazing. He's playing at an incredible level, controlling the game, finishing the games when he has to do it, and on top of that he's running from minute 1 to minute 48, and yesterday against Dallas he didn't have enough legs. He must be one of the top 5 candidates for MVP this season. He's the reason we're sitting at number two in the West.

Just in case ducks misses it :lmao

ElNono
03-19-2012, 02:25 AM
I know, I had to translate that :depressed

:lol

TJastal
03-19-2012, 02:26 AM
With the way the season has developed for Manu, I don't think he cares one bit if he comes off the bench... as he always says, it's finishing what matters.

Oh I agree with ya Nono he'll still get plenty of opportunities to finish games, Parker is usually gassed from all the minutes and heavy lifting all game long so this is actually more beneficial to have Manu fresh and ready if needed to help finish games.

ElNono
03-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Oh I agree with ya Nono he'll still get plenty of opportunities to finish games, Parker is usually gassed from all the minutes and heavy lifting all game long so this is actually more beneficial to have Manu fresh and ready if needed to help finish games.

I'll be surprised if Manu doesn't break the 30 mins barrier during the playoffs... he knows he's going to get his minutes.

temujin
03-19-2012, 06:22 AM
And when you think you can't be quicker, like Chris Paul o Tony Parker were, you get Rose and Westbrook. After Lebron came Blake Griffin, and they raise the bar and make it hard to compete. When you think you have them, they recover and they block you, they run at you or do things that make you say "It can't be". You have to face them everyday and you don't stop getting amazed. They're constant, and they have such a talent and such a gift athletically that it's scary.

Well Mr. Ginobili, to be absolutely honest, that's exactly what I thought of YOUR game when I first saw you in 2001. Along with "Time to change this old TV set, what I just saw can't be true."
"There's going to be another 5 Wades before there is another Ginobili."

Other than that, bye bye to endless discussions of Manu's health and minutes.
No more than 24'.
Period.
AND, possibly, no more than 3 times a week.

Same for Splitter.
The stats fanatics can go check how many times Splitter has played >24'.

FlAVaK
03-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Same for Splitter.
The stats fanatics can go check how many times Splitter has played >24'.
Quick look into yahoo "game log" (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4306/gamelog;_ylt=ApKcJE.gmy5FIR9nWR8mcDGkvLYF): Splitter played more than 24:00 in every 10th game last year (6 of 60) and every 5th game this season (8 of 40) so far...

temujin
03-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Quick look into yahoo "game log" (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4306/gamelog;_ylt=ApKcJE.gmy5FIR9nWR8mcDGkvLYF): Splitter played more than 24:00 in every 10th game last year (6 of 60) and every 5th game this season (8 of 40) so far...

Thanks.

With Jackson on board, I doubt Mr. Ginobili and Mr. Splitter will play >24' in more than 5/6 games, combined, from now on.
It's all about injuries: Popovich might well get old, but he seems to be more focused this year.

temujin
03-19-2012, 07:28 AM
While I think there are legitimate injury concerns, I think Pop finally realized the first unit was better off with the ball mainly in Parker's hands this year (after a stint or two of Manu starting) and has now started deliberately throttling Manu's minutes and relegating him to bench duty. Which is ultimately the best thing for the team, like I have been saying for literally months. Kudos to Pop for realizing this.

Here's the rub though. Once playoffs roll around, then what? Does Pop come up with a different excuse for keeping Manu on the bench? Should be interesting to see how Pop spins it. But I also know Manu is a very intelligent guy so I'm guessing he already knows the real score and won't make waves.

He's Manu Ginobili.
It's all about winning.
The guy will probably still be decididng games playing 30'' at age 50.

arles
03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for translating, Nono!

skin
03-19-2012, 11:03 AM
ElNono, thanks for translating into english.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2012, 11:26 AM
why didnt he explain his chuckin lately

Doctor J
03-19-2012, 11:29 AM
ElNono, you're an angel. Thanks.

JRHernandez88
03-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for posting. Good read. I hate seeig ginobili not playin with the flow and energy he usually does but hopefully by the playoffs he finds his rhythm by then. This team will be crazy good with Parker with this confidence, Timmy with this determination, Manu firing on all cylinders, and the role players doing. What they did. Honestly I don't think weve seen the team complete yet. That's what excites me we got so much room to improve and shape as a team as to last year we already peaking. Can't wait we're in position to start peaking right before the playoffs.

JRHernandez88
03-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Damn IPhone got my typing looking retarded.

cantthinkofanything
03-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Damn IPhone got my typing looking retarded.

IPhone rolling it's eyes.

JRHernandez88
03-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Lol

Hooks
03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I have a big feeling that this Spurs team, if they can stay healthy, will go into the playoffs as the hottest team in the NBA. Once Manu gets back to playing at an MVP level like he was in the beginning of the season and last season he's going to make a HUGE difference.

Jax's defense is going to make a big impact as well as his play making ability and offensive game, Kawhi is getting better and better all season long, and guys like Green are stepping up a lot.

Manu's injury has forced guys to step up especially Parker and I really think it has benefited the team.

I think sometime in April is when we'll see this team start to peak.

Spurs Brazil
03-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks ElNono!

Slippy
03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
, but just be healthy and ready for the playoffs. We're going to be keeping an eye on things, because I don't want another setback and lose another two weeks, because at this stage it would mean wasting the season. I have to manage my energy and my body.

In the games I already have a limit set of 24 minutes, so I'm already under control and I really can't express my game. I'm managing and Pop wants to make sure we don't screw up, so we're going slowly.

Glad to see it. The Spurs and Manu are making a concious effort in limiting his game. Hopefully fans keep in mind it's all about the big picture when they don't see the Manu they are used to or the numbers.

FkLA
03-19-2012, 06:19 PM
The best player on the team needs to be healthy, doesnt matter how well Tony is playing. You simply cant rely on a PG to win it all especially not one that relies on getting his points in the paint. Once the playoffs roll around and the Spurs face physical defensive teams with elite interior/perimeter/both defenders Tony will likely have his problems like he always has. Especially if hes the focal point of the opposing defense.