PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Spurs after Fisher, have not signed Mills as yet

Spursfanfromafar
03-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7706447/derek-fisher-houston-rockets-reach-buyout-agreement

The Chicago Bulls and Miami Heat are two teams said to be strongly interested in Fisher, while sources told Stein that the San Antonio Spurs have not yet ruled out pursuing Fisher because their planned signing of former Portland Trail Blazers guard Patty Mills has been held up by the fact that Portland has not yet renounced rights to Mills.

Please put this post in the appropriate thread if required.

benefactor
03-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Well maybe the Blazers are the same old Blazers after all.

Fisher won't come to SA. He will go to Miami.

Hoops Czar
03-19-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm not worried.... as. Long as another contender has interest in him, the Spurs have 0% chance.

Darkwaters
03-19-2012, 07:26 AM
http://www.nightbiscuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/donotwant_doggy.jpg

timvp
03-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Well, I guess timvp was right after all.

What say you, TD 21?

timvp
03-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Seriously though, even Mills was celebrating signing with the Spurs. And it was announced everywhere that the Blazers released him. How did they manage to fool everyone?

I'm guessing the Blazers want compensation for letting Mills go. If you're the Spurs, do you give them anything? Tbh, I wouldn't. This is a low move even for the Blazers.

jiggy_55
03-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Well Patty Mills has been tweeting and re-tweeting stuff about him joining the Spurs.. Could this just be a formal matter until this is done or are Portland fucking around?

Spursfanfromafar
03-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Seriously though, even Mills was celebrating signing with the Spurs. And it was announced everywhere that the Blazers released him. How did they manage to fool everyone?

I'm guessing the Blazers want compensation for letting Mills go. If you're the Spurs, do you give them anything? Tbh, I wouldn't. This is a low move even for the Blazers.

Paul Allen's gang has still not learnt from the Darius Miles fiasco. Effing penny pinchers.

Darkwaters
03-19-2012, 07:53 AM
This is a pretty srewed up

CGD
03-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Ah Portland... I hope it's not them interfering at the last hour again. It seems like the more they focus on trying to win small, insignificant battles with the Spurs, the further they get away from building a legit contender.

I honestly think that franchise is going to end up alienating Aldridge in the future, and otherwise have a hard time retaining talent.

Russ
03-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Who the hell is Patty Mills?

dunkman
03-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Sh!t happens . . .

wildbill2u
03-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Portland FO has screwed around with us before, but Forever is a long time and a chance for payback comes around occasionally.

lefty
03-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Fisher will change his mind 0.4 seconds before RC's pen reaches the contract

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Portland FO has screwed around with us before, but Forever is a long time and a chance for payback comes around occasionally.

maybe we should sign brandon roy, so his contract goes back onto their books

even greg oden took a paycut after dropping his initial qualifing offer of 8m to 1,5m then gets waived lmao

timvp
03-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I really don't understand how the Blazers have seemingly been able to screw the Spurs again. Their hometown paper makes it pretty clear that Portland renounced Mills.

The Portland Trail Blazers have renounced their rights to Patty Mills, clearing the way for him to sign with another NBA team.

Already, reports are surfacing that Mills will sign a deal with San Antonio.

Mills was a restricted free agent with the Blazers. He played overseas during the NBA lockout, first in his native Australia, then with the Xinjiang Flying Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association.

Because his Chinese contract forbade him from signing with another team before that league's season ended, Mills was not able to re-enter the NBA immediately after leaving the Flying Tigers in January. Mills did not receive a release from FIBA -- the worldwide governing body of basketball -- until after March 1, the deadline for which restricted free agents could sign offer sheets this season.

That left Mills at the Blazers' mercy. The only way he could join another NBA team this season was for Portland to renounce its rights to him, which it did Saturday.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/03/blazers_renounce_rights_to_point_guard_patty_mills .html

So if the Blazers somehow manage to undo their renouncement, Mills will be stuck in no-man's land the rest of the season and will be a restricted free agent in the offseason. At that point, no way Portland let's the Spurs sign him.

I'm guessing what happened is the Blazers told Mills and his agent that they'd renounce him and let him sign with a team. However, once the Blazers heard he was going to the Spurs -- the team the Blazers hate for unknown reasons -- they're trying to stop the process.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the Blazers have been successful in reversing their decision. If that's the case, Mills is screwed and the Spurs are left scrambling.

F the Blazers again, tbh.

Russ
03-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Portland did what they always do.

They find out if the Spurs (4 titles) like a player.

Then they decide if they should llike him, too.

The Spurs only revenge?

When they acted liked they positively loved Greg Oden. :)

timvp
03-19-2012, 08:47 AM
^:lol Good point. Legend has it the Spurs supposedly floated the idea of trading Tim Duncan for Greg Oden. Niiiiiiiiiiice going there, PDX.

jag
03-19-2012, 08:47 AM
The Spurs should have known something was up when the Blazers let Ime Udoka walk.

Bruno
03-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Hopefully, it's just a little delay due to the week end and Blazers will renounce to Mills today. That is what I expect. Unless Blazers want to re-sign Mills, they have nothing to gain at keeping Mills right. It will only hurt their reputation among agents.

Spursfanfromafar
03-19-2012, 08:53 AM
So if the Blazers somehow manage to undo their renouncement, Mills will be stuck in no-man's land the rest of the season and will be a restricted free agent in the offseason. At that point, no way Portland let's the Spurs sign him.

I'm guessing what happened is the Blazers told Mills and his agent that they'd renounce him and let him sign with a team. However, once the Blazers heard he was going to the Spurs -- the team the Blazers hate for unknown reasons -- they're trying to stop the process.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the Blazers have been successful in reversing their decision. If that's the case, Mills is screwed and the Spurs are left scrambling.

Thats amazingly unprofessional. I can understand if the Blazers did this to a team like the Grizzlies, who basically effed them by signing Darius Miles. But what is it that get their mickey when it comes to the Spurs, I have no idea or understanding.

Bruno
03-19-2012, 08:58 AM

The CBA doesn't allow it.

timvp
03-19-2012, 09:00 AM
The CBA doesn't allow it.Wouldn't be the first time the Blazers tried to work outside the CBA. :smokin

Logically, I want to believe this is simply a delay. But we're dealing with the Blazers' irrational hate/jealousy of the Spurs so anything is possible.

loveforthegame
03-19-2012, 09:09 AM
How can the Blazers get away with this?

Why would the Spurs have an agreement in place without knowing the paperwork is done?

MI21
03-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Has there ever been a potential reason pointed out to help explain the Blazers strange hatred of the Spurs when dealing with them and mancrush on them when scouting/drafting?

Stump
03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Personally, I want to know more about the Greg Oden situation. Did he take less money with the promise that he would get paid his 8 million qualifying offer next year? Is this legal? What exactly happened?

Kindergarten Cop
03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
No offense, but the thread title is somewhat misleading. Stein stated that he has sources that say that the Spurs "have not yet ruled out" pursuing Fisher - not that they are after him. The Spurs front office would not be doing their due diligence if they were to come out and say "No, we will not look at Fisher as depth at PG considering that Portland is holding up things with Mills".

It appears now though that OKC has entered the fray and are considering pursuing him as well. I wonder if they have good hospitals in OKC. ;)

Russ
03-19-2012, 10:01 AM
But we're dealing with the Blazers' irrational hate/jealousy of the Spurs so anything is possible.

Maybe they know Batum is walking toward the river? :flag:

bklynspursfan
03-19-2012, 10:19 AM
No offense, but the thread title is somewhat misleading. Stein stated that he has sources that say that the Spurs "have not yet ruled out" pursuing Fisher - not that they are after him. The Spurs front office would not be doing their due diligence if they were to come out and say "No, we will not look at Fisher as depth at PG considering that Portland is holding up things with Mills".

It appears now though that OKC has entered the fray and are considering pursuing him as well. I wonder if they have good hospitals in OKC. ;)

My thoughts exactly. He's not coming here. It'll probably be OKC or Chicago

benefactor
03-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I guess the Blazers are not yet tired of the basketball gods throwing lightning bolts at them. You'd think they would have figured it out after Dariusgate. I feel bad for true Blazer fans that have to put up with such a shitty franchise.

GSH
03-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Is it true that Fisher has said that he only wants to go to Miami or Chicago? If he's even been talking that stuff, screw him. No point in pursuing him, and I wouldn't want him if he didn't get signed by one of his preferred teams.

As for Mills - Houston wanted him pretty badly. I don't know who else might have, but the Spurs jumped in to get him locked up. Sounds like they jumped the gun, but I don't blame them for wanting to get first shot. Sounde like, Portland being Portland, saw two teams jump for him immediately, and decided they should be able to squeeze some pennies out of a deal. Don't be surprised to see them keep him until next year, even if they don't want him on the roster.

SenorSpur
03-19-2012, 11:21 AM
I highly doubt Fisher would ever want to come to the Spurs. That's just a personal opinion. I did read this morning that OKC is also after him. That is a move that makes perfect sense on OKC's part.

baseline bum
03-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Fisher would be awesome on OKC. He could save Westbrook's chucking ass like he used to with the rapist.

Mark in Austin
03-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Yep. Fisher to OKC is the best fit with the highest upside.

timvp
03-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Fisher would be awesome on OKC. He could save Westbrook's chucking ass like he used to with the rapist.

That fit is so scary good that the Spurs might have to go after Fisher no matter what, tbh.

Hooks
03-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Fisher is garbage on defense and offense, do not want.

baseline bum
03-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Fisher is garbage on defense and offense, do not want.

I'd much rather have Fisher as the late 3 point option than Bonner tbh.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-19-2012, 11:46 AM

:tu

SenorSpur
03-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Fisher may be a good fit in OKC, but I really don't believe the Thunder can beat the Spurs in a 7-game series with or without him.

cantthinkofanything
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM

I'd rather have Fisher as our 3rd big than Bonner.

03-19-2012, 11:58 AM
say what you want about fisher but he won't be turning the ball over in crucial situations during the playoffs. say it's tied 2-2 in the playoffs, the score is close at the beginning of the fourth quarter, parker needs some rest and the lakers are mounting a comeback and finally playing a punishing brand of defense (which they are capable of). i would rather have fisher out there handling the ball (mills is 23, hasn't played on the spurs, hasn't played in the NBA this season) than gary neal.

fisher also provides a calming presence out there so the the younger players won't be so scared.

cheguevara
03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
:lol it's fucking Patty Mills. who gives a shit.

cheguevara
03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
:lol thinking Fisher has anything left.

benefactor
03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
son welcome back

Keepin' it real
03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Assuming that Derek Fisher would push the Spurs over the top and help them win a title, 49 percent of me would rather lose without him than win with him, because of the sour taste of .04, while the other 51 percent of me would love to see Tim win #5 to match Kobe.

But, I seriously doubt that Fisher is the "missing piece of the championship puzzle" for the Spurs or anyone else, so I emphatically say NO THANKS!

:flag:

TJastal
03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
say what you want about fisher but he won't be turning the ball over in crucial situations during the playoffs. say it's tied 2-2 in the playoffs, the score is close at the beginning of the fourth quarter, parker needs some rest and the lakers are mounting a comeback and finally playing a punishing brand of defense (which they are capable of). i would rather have fisher out there handling the ball (mills is 23, hasn't played on the spurs, hasn't played in the NBA this season) than gary neal.

fisher also provides a calming presence out there so the the younger players won't be so scared.

And here I would have thought future HOF candidate Tim Duncan would be the ultimate calming presence in the history of the nba. Boy was I wrong!

I agree, the team needs to get Fish, only he can settle the troops. It's true that Khawi just looks so scared all the time. Here is a picture that proves it too:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/985/628x471.jpg

Obstructed_View
03-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Kawhi Leonard is not amused.

03-19-2012, 12:19 PM
And here I would have thought future HOF candidate Tim Duncan would be the ultimate calming presence in the history of the nba. Boy was I wrong!

I agree, the team needs to get Fish, only he can settle the troops. It's true that Khawi just looks so scared all the time. Here is a picture that proves it too:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/985/628x471.jpg
people thought mason would thrive under playoff pressure.

Spursfan092120
03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Fisher may be a good fit in OKC, but I really don't believe the Thunder can beat the Spurs in a 7-game series with or without him.

Just curious...What about this season has led you to believe we can't beat them?

TimmehC
03-19-2012, 12:37 PM
^ Seriously. The Spurs are the one team OKC does not want to see in the WC playoffs.

DBMethos
03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Just curious...What about this season has led you to believe we can't beat them?

Read it again...he's saying the Thunder can't beat the Spurs, not the other way around.

Mel_13
03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Blazers messing with karma again..

Spurs9
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
As much as I hate Fisher its mostly because of .04 which sticks in the back of every Spurs fans head, and all of the ballsy shots. He has hit some dagger of shots in his career, I respect that and would like to have that on our team along with his experience. He pretty much led the Lakers as well, so I don't really see any negatives to signing him if its even possible. I've probably called Fisher a bitch myself but bring him on. :lol

dirkdirkastan
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
son welcome back

He never left tbh

timtonymanu
03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
BS if this is true. Lol Portland. Go draft more bad knees. Great fans. Decent team. Douchebag front office. I hope Batum screws them over in the off season.

stxspurs
03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Fish won't sign here. Promise that

bigbendbruisebrother
03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Blazers messing with karma again..

What others do to you is their karma. How you react is yours.

4down
03-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Blazer hate towards Spurs stems back to 1999, IIRC.

timtonymanu
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Looks like Fisher is choosing between OKC, Heat, and Bulls.

Is Anthony Carter still available if Mills is really being held hostage?

Ice009
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Looks like Fisher is choosing between OKC, Heat, and Bulls.

Is Anthony Carter still available if Mills is really being held hostage?

I'd take Carter immediately if Mills is unavailable. I want defense so IMO Carter would be a good fit.

Fisher can go fuck himself. Looks like he only wants to play for teams that are considered favorites.

ace3g
03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I guess even Blazer players themselves are confused:

Nicolas Batum™ ‏ @nicolas88batum

Congrats to my bala @Patty_Mills and wish him all the best with the Spurs.

Hoops Czar
03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
I guess even Blazer players themselves are confused:

Nicolas Batum™ ‏ @nicolas88batum

Congrats to my bala @Patty_Mills and wish him all the best with the Spurs.

Or maybe Stein is confused because everything I google says he's been renounced by Portland.

will_spurs
03-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Or maybe Stein is confused because everything I google says he's been renounced by Portland.

Just a story created by Fisher's agent to raise his stock.

Fisher won't come to the Spurs, nor is he welcome. I wouldn't want him on any team I was a fan of, because I'm sure he's likely to shoot towards the wrong basket at the end of a Game 7 against the Lakers, that's how much of a Lakers bitch he is.

PublicOption
03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
the league is scared to death that the Spurs are loading up too much. That don't want us anywhere near the championship.

PublicOption
03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
They not That.

Obstructed_View
03-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Just a story created by Fisher's agent to raise his stock.

Fisher won't come to the Spurs, nor is he welcome. I wouldn't want him on any team I was a fan of, because I'm sure he's likely to shoot towards the wrong basket at the end of a Game 7 against the Lakers, that's how much of a Lakers bitch he is.

As much as I'm in favor of Fisher as an upgrade for the Spurs, I don't trust him either. He fucked Utah and used his little girl as leverage to get back to the Lakers. Nobody is safe.

ace3g
03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Mike Tokito ‏ @mtokito

Close

Despite some national reports today, Chad Buchanan said #Blazers did officially renounce rights to Patty Mills on Saturday.

spurs10
03-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Mike Tokito ‏ @mtokito

Close

Despite some national reports today, Chad Buchanan said #Blazers did officially renounce rights to Patty Mills on Saturday.
Thank you and hopefully welcome Patty!

Texas_Ranger
03-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Mike Tokito ‏ @mtokito

Close

great news. Happy that we (probably) got a backup PG. :hat

ace3g
03-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Ben Golliver ‏ @blazersedge

Buchanan said Blazers would have signed Patty Mills if team had been able to trade point guard and roster spot had opened

Admidave50
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Great news! Hopefully Blazers didn't fuck us this time

therealtruth
03-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Fisher like Horry will be pretty much useless during the regular season. But during the playoffs and big games he will make his impact.

Obstructed_View
03-19-2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/6599750/Gaze-tips-Mills-to-blossom-at-San-Antonio

Dated today, and says everything's done. Glad this wasn't a false alarm.

timtonymanurich
03-19-2012, 02:54 PM
THIS JUST IN!

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/Report-Spurs-sign-Patty-Mills/JPr4c3YaxkOgZAVeROtrRQ.cspx?rss=324

timtonymanurich
03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Whadddya bet Fish-face got 'bought out' by Houston JUST so he can play for LA now.... Just thinking out loud...

will_spurs
03-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Whadddya bet Fish-face got 'bought out' by Houston JUST so he can play for LA now.... Just thinking out loud...

He can't under new CBA, apparently. But then again the Lakers probably don't want him back, so it's a moot point. My bet is that he's going to retire.

cd98
03-19-2012, 03:14 PM
He can't under new CBA, apparently. But then again the Lakers probably don't want him back, so it's a moot point. My bet is that he's going to retire.

Naw. He'll at least play out this year and maybe retire next year, unless he's got a job offer from a contender. If so, why retire and walk away from millions, unless you really don't want to play anymore.

gambit1990
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
THIS JUST IN!

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/Report-Spurs-sign-Patty-Mills/JPr4c3YaxkOgZAVeROtrRQ.cspx?rss=324

i'm glad. i'd much rather have him than fisher or carter

timvp
03-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Mike Tokito ‏ @mtokito

Great find :tu

I wonder if Stern told the Blazers no takesies-backsies.

I still don't see it officially anywhere that the Spurs signed him but at least the Blazers appear to be out of the way.

TD 21
03-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Great find :tu

I still don't see it officially anywhere that the Spurs signed him but at least the Blazers appear to be out of the way.

Looks like you were wrong again.

Chomag
03-19-2012, 04:45 PM
It's been said allready but do not want Fisher... other then more experience he dosnt bring anything to the table that Neal can't do, and Neal is a ton better.

monkeypunk
03-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Well, I guess timvp was right after all.

What say you, TD 21?

Looks like you were wrong again.

And it's deep too!

Srsly

:lol

slick'81
03-19-2012, 05:14 PM
so spurs get their guy,nice

ace3g
03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
same guy wrote this:

Mike Tokito ‏ @mtokito

Close

Just to clarify on Patty Mills ... Spurs seem to be hesitating on him because Derek Fisher is now available. Perfectly reasonable.

benfti
03-19-2012, 05:55 PM
same guy wrote this:

Mike Tokito ‏ @mtokito

Close

Just to clarify on Patty Mills ... Spurs seem to be hesitating on him because Derek Fisher is now available. Perfectly reasonable.

ok, out of curiosity, lets say Fisher becomes the choice, in that time between deciding between Mills and Fisher, Mills's previous other options in Houston and Detroit fall off the table. That would be bad luck.

same guy just tweeted

A lot of teams want Fisher, so it's not over for Mills. RT @barberkty: @mtokito that sucks for patty

Russ
03-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Is Mills another Beno?

Robz4000
03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Just sign Mills and get it over with. If he goes to another team and the Spurs don't get Fisher, they'll be up shit creek without a paddle.

timvp
03-19-2012, 07:24 PM
same guy wrote this:

Mike Tokito ‏ @mtokito

This doesn't make much sense to me. It was obvious that Fisher was going to become available. The Spurs and Mills basically agreed to a contract (Y! reporting it and Mills celebrating on Twitter = basic agreement, at least). If the Spurs really are going back on that to make a run at Fisher, that's some shady negotiating, tbh.

Steve-O-Matic
03-19-2012, 07:28 PM
This doesn't make much sense to me. It was obvious that Fisher was going to become available. The Spurs and Mills basically agreed to a contract (Y! reporting it and Mills celebrating on Twitter = basic agreement, at least). If the Spurs really are going back on that to make a run at Fisher, that's some shady negotiating, tbh.
No it wasn't. It may have been likely but it wasn't guaranteed. Fisher was legitimately torn as of Saturday - the same day of the alleged agreement between Mills/SA - which is why Fisher and the Rockets agreed to the extension. Nothing wrong with the Spurs proactively covering their bases so that they didn't lose out both ways.

Gagnrath
03-19-2012, 07:34 PM

After the Chris Paul thing this summer Stern is allowed to say no Takesies-Backsies with a straight face?

Seventyniner
03-19-2012, 08:02 PM
After the Chris Paul thing this summer Stern is allowed to say no Takesies-Backsies with a straight face?

Only if it's for basketball reasons.

timvp
03-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Mills is still retweeting people who are congratulating him about signing with the Spurs. Could be awkward.

silverblackfan
03-19-2012, 08:10 PM
I still would rather take a Mills over Fisher. Its a back up position and don't want to see Fisher's face in a Spurs parade! I seriously doubt the play offs are going to come down to D-Fish hitting the winning shot. Willing to roll the dice here.
</Fisher Rant>

timtonymanu
03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Come on. Just sign Mills. Get it over with and move on to the front line.

Blackjack
03-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Fuck Derek Fisher.

Nice talkin to y'all. :)

MI21
03-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Much prefer Mills to Fisher.

Fisher is a devil spawn sent to fuck the Spurs his entire NBA playing career.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
03-19-2012, 08:45 PM
The FO might need to sober up and just sign Mills. They've probably been partying like it's 1999 since trading for Ese Jax.

benfti
03-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Come on. Just sign Mills. Get it over with and move on to the front line.

indeed, the quicker we can move on the better, I trust the FO though.

benfti
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
oh by the way, let me introduce myself, long time Spurs fan first time poster. Australian resident and sports reporter, became a spurs fan due to Andrew Gaze and Shane Heals time in San Antonio, but have decided to join your fine forum to contribute what I can regarding Patty Mills. So feel free to spot up any questions you like regarding his game, history, character and so fourth.

Go Spurs

Obstructed_View
03-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Welcome aboard. Now we just need to hope the kid actually makes it to town.

MI21
03-19-2012, 09:13 PM
oh by the way, let me introduce myself, long time Spurs fan first time poster. Australian resident and sports reporter, became a spurs fan due to Andrew Gaze and Shane Heals time in San Antonio, but have decided to join your fine forum to contribute what I can regarding Patty Mills. So feel free to spot up any questions you like regarding his game, history, character and so fourth.

Go Spurs

Welcome aboard mate.

You are joining a strong contingent of really good Australian posters on this forum.

Cheers!

Spursfan092120
03-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Read it again...he's saying the Thunder can't beat the Spurs, not the other way around.

Oops..my bad...read it wrong. I was reading it from my phone.

benfti
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Welcome aboard. Now we just need to hope the kid actually makes it to town.

Lol. he actually is in town, if they announced him right now he could be doing a presser in 20 minutes.

One think you will always know about Patty, he is keen.

benfti
03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Welcome aboard mate.

You are joining a strong contingent of really good Australian posters on this forum.

Cheers!

cheers, good to be here, hope I can hold up my end then.

timtonymanu
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM

Go Spurs

Welcome. I'm a huge Patty Mills fan, which is part of the reason why I want the signing to happen already. Hopefully we hear from the front office soon, but him being in town should be a good sign.

MI21
03-19-2012, 09:37 PM
cheers, good to be here, hope I can hold up my end then.

What city are you in? I've spent time as a Sports Reporter in Perth.

benfti
03-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Welcome. I'm a huge Patty Mills fan, which is part of the reason why I want the signing to happen already. Hopefully we hear from the front office soon, but him being in town should be a good sign.[/B]

it is, but by that same token, knowing Patty he just likes to be prepared. He packed his bags and flew out from Moraga 8 hours after hearing it was on the cards so he could be settled and ready to hit the court at practice.

If the deal falls over and another team signs him he would be on a plane there as quick as he could find flights.

benfti
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
What city are you in? I've spent time as a Sports Reporter in Perth.

Im in Adelaide, but correspond to Melbourne on the AFL

Dex
03-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Just mentioned Fisher's buyout on TNT during the Mavs/Nuggets game, also said that "rumor has it he might end up in San Antone". Spurs were the only possible team mentioned. Not real substantial, just a passing comment. Don't shoot the messenger.

Mugen
03-19-2012, 10:42 PM
i just cant see myself rooting for Derek Fisher. i think he'd help but...damn.

Ice009
03-19-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm thinking Fisher might play poorly against the Lakers and that is one reason I don't want him. I also don't like him for other reasons which I'm not going in to.

Having said that does anyone think he might be really pissed off at the Lakers for trading him and wants to take a shot at them? He might actually help if he is mad at LA for dumping him and wants to stick it to them.

Pop really loves his backup point guards to not play like traditional PGs doesn't he? He seems to want them to be scorers that aren't pure play makers.

Dex
03-19-2012, 10:57 PM
i just cant see myself rooting for Derek Fisher. i think he'd help but...damn.

I felt the same way about Robert Horry when he came here, and he became one of my favorite Spurs.

Then again, I also felt like Robert Horry had something left in the tank when he came.

But there is no denying that the Spurs need a point guard, and even if the Patty Mills deal comes to fruition, still not sure if that is an answer for this season. So I'm still undecided about this whole deal.

Mugen
03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
I felt the same way about Robert Horry when he came here, and he became one of my favorite Spurs.

Then again, I also felt like Robert Horry had something left in the tank when he came.

But there is no denying that the Spurs need a point guard, and even if the Patty Mills deal comes to fruition, still not sure if that is an answer for this season. So I'm still undecided about this whole deal.

True but Horry missed the game winner in Game 5 the previous year so it made his signing easier to accept :lol

timvp
03-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Lol. he actually is in town, if they announced him right now he could be doing a presser in 20 minutes.

Very interesting. Any idea what the holdup is?

BTW, welcome to ST. Pound for pound, Australians might be the best posters on the site.

(Full disclosure: I lived in Adelaide for a couple years.)

dakota_spursfan
03-19-2012, 11:16 PM
when a player joins a team and his previous number is already taken, a monetary compensation is usually in order to try and get the number back. In that respect, if Fisher joins the spurs, Duncan deserves some cash for Fish stealing his .4 shot and still being allowed to play in the silver and black. Will never forget that night, complete jubilation to suicide watch in a matter of seconds

loveforthegame
03-19-2012, 11:24 PM
The whole situation seems weird. Wish we'd get some confirmation soon.

MI21
03-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Really timvp, Adelaide?

You must hate Australia :lol

benfti
03-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Very interesting. Any idea what the holdup is?

BTW, welcome to ST. Pound for pound, Australians might be the best posters on the site.

(Full disclosure: I lived in Adelaide for a couple years.)

as far as I know all the paperwork is signed, just waiting to be logged. thing is, if the blazers had waived Patty on Wednesday he would be suited up right now. The weekend, and the news of Fisher has slowed things down because im sure the front office just want to do their due diligence in assessing the option.

FWIW, Obviously Mills is the better long term investment, and to be fair on the kid they really should work it out quickly so if they do go for Fisher, Patty can sign with another team, before everyone fills their rosters back up off of waivers.

benfti
03-20-2012, 12:03 AM
there you go, mark stein just tweeted

Marc Stein ‏ @ESPNSteinLine
Bulls focused on bigs like Turiaf. Clips taking pass. Spurs still hopeful of sealing Patty Mills deal. So it's MIA & OKC on Fish front 4 now

benfti
03-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Full article here:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7712172/derek-fisher-drawing-interest-miami-heat-oklahoma-city-thunder-sources-say

extract here

With the Chicago Bulls needing another big man more than another guard and the San Antonio Spurs still hopeful that they can complete the signing of guard Patrick Mills by week's end, sources told ESPN.com

Small Fundamental
03-20-2012, 12:49 AM
It boggles my mind that we would go after Fisher. He's clearly done. He's slow, doesn't play defense, doesn't shoot the 3 well, and can't set up his teammates. We don't need him and Patty Mills is a good pickup.

therealtruth
03-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Full article here:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7712172/derek-fisher-drawing-interest-miami-heat-oklahoma-city-thunder-sources-say

extract here

Isn't it ironic that Spurs need bigs more than anyone else and they spend their time focused on guards and wings?

benfti
03-20-2012, 03:13 AM
Isn't it ironic that Spurs need bigs more than anyone else and they spend their time focused on guards and wings?

we need a pack up point as much as we need another big.

Darkwaters
03-20-2012, 07:26 AM
we need a pack up point as much as we need another big.

Back-up point is definitely a pretty big need, but I think a bigman is more so. Any PG we pick up likely won't see true minutes in the playoffs and will be an emergency back-up in case Gary Neal crashes and burns. Otherwise, he'll just eat up a few minutes in the remaining regular season games and maybe position himself for a bigger role next season (ie, Patty Mills).

Another bigman addition could very well push Blair out of the rotation completely and eat up big minutes not only in the regular season but also the playoffs.

timtonymanurich
03-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Much prefer Mills to Fisher.

Fisher is a devil spawn sent to fuck the Spurs his entire NBA playing career.

Fisher can die in a fire and so can the entire Faker organization. He's the ONLY player I would personally have no problem punching repeatedly in the face and throat JUST because of the shit he's gotten away with and he being the GRAND ARCHITECT behind this season's lockout too.

DON'T come to S.A. Fisher. But if he DOES I hope POP gives him ZERO MINUTES JUST so Spurs Nation can rest assured that at least he's not on the opposing team waiting for the next fuggin' dagger to throw at the Spurs NEXT title banner. THAT'S the ONLY reason I'd pick him up. JUST to BENCH his sorry ASS.

:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit :toast:toast:toast

SenorSpur
03-20-2012, 12:27 PM
It boggles my mind that we would go after Fisher. He's clearly done. He's slow, doesn't play defense, doesn't shoot the 3 well, and can't set up his teammates. We don't need him and Patty Mills is a good pickup.

It is surprising that Fisher has generated such a buzz. He's still a very capable shooter, smart player and good leader, but he's still a virtual turnstile on the defensive end.

I have to admit that after the Utah situation a few years ago, where he mysteriously worked his way back to Fakerland, I'm very leery about him. His allegiances will always be with the Fakers - and rightfully so.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
That the Spurs keep getting mentioned as frontrunners for Fisher makes me think something else is going on. Spurs FO almost never lets their name get mentioned in rumors as blatantly as this. We also know the Spurs like to save money when they can. All that I can think of is they're using Fisher as a way enhance their negotiating with Mills. If Mills is already in SA, I would assume this has to be some sort of negotiating business going on.

ace3g
03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @WojYahooNBA

Close

San Antonio still waiting on government work visa to sign Patty Mills, sources tell Y! Sports. Spurs have no plans to talk to Derek Fisher.

silverblackfan
03-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Close

San Antonio still waiting on government work visa to sign Patty Mills, sources tell Y! Sports. Spurs have no plans to talk to Derek Fisher.

Best news of the day. Bring in Mills and forget about Fisher.

Beaverfuzz
03-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Patty is the shit, Portland fucked him around long enough.

monkeypunk
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Now a Diaw buyout and we are set!

Beaverfuzz
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Fuck Diaw.

bklynspursfan
03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Now a Diaw buyout and we are set!

Yea... Still got a bad feeling we aren't doing anything. :depressed

therealtruth
03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Back-up point is definitely a pretty big need, but I think a bigman is more so. Any PG we pick up likely won't see true minutes in the playoffs and will be an emergency back-up in case Gary Neal crashes and burns. Otherwise, he'll just eat up a few minutes in the remaining regular season games and maybe position himself for a bigger role next season (ie, Patty Mills).

Another bigman addition could very well push Blair out of the rotation completely and eat up big minutes not only in the regular season but also the playoffs.

Bigman will help more. It has the ability to improve the team's overall defense.

Duncan2177
03-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Honestly, I like the fact that we need a younger roster, but if we are going to go after a guard, Fisher is the guard we need. Once again, the FO trying to stretch the almighty dollar instead of spending money of what we really need, which is a big man. If we sign this guy, I hope he is a quick learner; because at this point of the season, we don't need a guard that can shoot three's and not tell the rest of the team where to be.

DrSteffo
03-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Don't want the old smelly fish but bring in the aussie.

Beaverfuzz
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap. PATTY MILLS, clap clap clap clap clap.

ace3g
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Patty Mills already has a future endorsement with Whataburger:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ah3T7RG2u9Q/TjCTqVCt9eI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/-3mjTX4NsCI/s1600/2700432120_809234ae6a.jpg

LongtimeSpursFan
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Close

Doesnt it seem like Yahoo sports does a better job of breaking basketball-related stories than ESPN?

hater
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
http://images.wikia.com/spongebob/images/b/b8/Krabby_Patty_2.jpg

bklynspursfan
03-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Doesnt it seem like Yahoo sports does a better job of breaking basketball-related stories than ESPN?

ESPN is always late. I stay on twitter. Yahoo always reports things quicker. Quite funny

Mel_13
03-20-2012, 03:08 PM
On Derek Fisher front, sources close to him expect him to sign w/ OKC if he clears waivers,but we shall see. Thunder need depth & leadership

http://twitter.com/#!/sam_amick

Small Fundamental
03-20-2012, 03:15 PM
On Derek Fisher front, sources close to him expect him to sign w/ OKC if he clears waivers,but we shall see. Thunder need depth & leadership

http://twitter.com/#!/sam_amick (http://twitter.com/#%21/sam_amick)I love this news. :rollin

The Thunder are shooting themselves in the foot imo. Durant's all the leadership they need. Fisher only makes them more vulnerable on the defensive side of the ball. Again, not that I'm complaining.

Interrohater
03-20-2012, 03:24 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1624&line=175694&spln=1

Patty Mills' signing held up by government paperwork

DisAsTerBot
03-20-2012, 03:28 PM
I love this news. :rollin

The Thunder are shooting themselves in the foot imo. Durant's all the leadership they need. Fisher only makes them more vulnerable on the defensive side of the ball. Again, not that I'm complaining.

uhh no, great signing for OKC. Fish gives them a veteran floor leader which they dont have. They have all the quickness they need in Westbrook

Small Fundamental
03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
uhh no, great signing for OKC. Fish gives them a veteran floor leader which they dont have. They have all the quickness they need in WestbrookI'll be more than happy to see our 2nd unit work against that veteran leadership in the WCF. I'm sure Patty Mills and Gary Neal will too.

DisAsTerBot
03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I'll be more than happy to see our 2nd unit work against that veteran leadership in the WCF. I'm sure Patty Mills and Gary Neal will too.

gotta get there first, but ok

Mr. Body
03-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Great signing for OKC if they get Fisher. I don't like that news at all. Hopefully no games get close enough for him to hit a game-winner. Dude is clutch as hell.

will_spurs
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Woj has the lead on any other basketball writer on the planet, regardless of story or team. It's actually quite frightening.

Re: Fisher and OKC, I'll say this again: the Lakers decided which was their worst match-ups, and actually they must have come up with OKC as they sent Fisher there as an undercover agent. He will be clutch in shooting a wide open 3 against his own team at the end of Game 7 of OKC-LAL series in the playoffs :lmao

Dr. John R. Brinkley
03-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Fisher will probably bring sanity and maturity to that overly young team. And he might temper Westbrook's ridiculous 4th quarter decision making. In fact, I'm surprised it's taken this long for OKC to bring in some veteran leadership.

therealtruth
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Great signing for OKC if they get Fisher. I don't like that news at all. Hopefully no games get close enough for him to hit a game-winner. Dude is clutch as hell.

The guy plays with a ridiculous amount of confidence that allows him to know down those shots.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-20-2012, 04:25 PM
uhh no, great signing for OKC. Fish gives them a veteran floor leader which they dont have. They have all the quickness they need in Westbrook

This. Plus they are so athletic they have guys that can cover for him should he lose containment of his man. Anytime you have a guy like Ibaka back there swatting away anything in the paint it gives your defense a lot more opportunities to take chances on the perimeter.

benfti
03-20-2012, 09:01 PM
fact, Derrick Fisher is going to need Rollerblades to keep up with Patty Mills when our 2nd units face off.

Hoops Czar
03-20-2012, 09:09 PM

I'm begging and daring OKC to put the ball in Fisher's hands instead of Westbrook's or Durant's to finish the game. Of course, if Fisher is in for the game winning shot, Westbrook is on the bench.