PDA

View Full Version : JJ Hickson completes buyout with Kings

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @WojYahooNBA
JJ Hickson has completed a buyout with the Kings, league source tells Y!
I still believe he has potential to be a really solid big in the league. Would be awesome to see the Spurs pursue him.

Steve-O-Matic
03-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Amazing how this guy went from one of the premier young PF's in the league to being bought out by the hapless Kings in the span of about 15 minutes.

timtonymanu
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Maybe his ties to Ferry will convince him to join here?

What the hell is up with Diaw already?

The ADMIRAL 50
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I still believe he has potential to be a really solid big in the league. Would be awesome to see the Spurs pursue him.

:tu

The ADMIRAL 50
03-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Amazing how this guy went from one of the premier young PF's in the league to being bought out by the hapless Kings in the span of about 15 minutes.

Once you go Sac you never come back
...or something.

slick'81
03-19-2012, 03:40 PM
tons of promise but still maybe too young for spurs right now

lefty
03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
tons of promise but still maybe too young for spurs right now
wut

vander
03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
do want

timvp
03-19-2012, 03:45 PM
He's an interesting possibility. Hickson wouldn't help the Spurs this year but his ceiling is higher than Diaw, Turiaf or probably anyone else that could be bought out.

With Ferry, the Spurs should know whether or not to make a run. IMO, if you can get him locked in on a two-year deal, he'd be a good pickup for the future. No matter how far he has fallen off the face of the earth, it wasn't long ago that Ferry hesitated trading him for Amare Stoudemire.

Obstructed_View
03-19-2012, 03:45 PM
do want

baseline bum
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
A buyout on a rookie contract? This is some Alfrederick Hughes territory here tbh.

bklynspursfan
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
He doesn't exactly address our problem and need for someone to protect the rim. But he's an upgrade over Blair/Bonner.

gambit1990
03-19-2012, 03:48 PM
i was surprised to find out he's only 6'9", but i still want him. hard to imagine diaw being better defensively imo.

i want kaman the most. do we have enough money to sign two out of the three? i wouldn't think so...

Cant_Be_Faded
03-19-2012, 03:49 PM
We have to get this guy.
A long as he isn't a total moron that can't learn, a la javale McGee, this guy would be great

We need the depth, and he's young

Hooks
03-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Yes please!

This dude was a stud with the cavs, I'd much rather have him than Diaw or Turiaf.

Texas_Ranger
If we would sign JJ there is no money left for Diaw... I'd rather have JJ cause he's younger but I don't think we'll get him.

Ditty
I rather have him then Diaw, but both would be nice :)

lmbebo
03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I think you have to go after him.

ace3g
03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
He's an interesting possibility. Hickson wouldn't help the Spurs this year but his ceiling is higher than Diaw, Turiaf or probably anyone else that could be bought out.

With Ferry, the Spurs should know whether or not to make a run. IMO, if you can get him for locked in on a two-year deal, he'd be a good pickup for the future. No matter how far he has fallen off the face of the earth, it wasn't long ago that Ferry hesitated traded him for Amare Stoudemire.

Couldn't agree more, like I always said young players like these are ideal for acquiring at the beginning of the season (if you are a playoff team). But does anyone honestly see Hickson taking minutes away from Bonner or Blair (Diaw could); and that is the key, because I'd take Hickson any day of the week if we had time to develop a player, but the playoffs are too close.

Bruno
03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
At that early stage of his career, I guess his priority will be to go to a team where he will get playing time to improve his market value. Spurs don't really seems a good fit for him.

loveforthegame
03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Ton of potential. Under Westphal he was flourishing but when he was fired Smart went with Thompson.

He's extremely athletic, physical, rebounds, plays good defense, and the kind of energy guy you want on the team.

Spurs would be silly not to go after him. I don't want to get my hopes up though. Would rather have him over Turiaf and Diaw. He'd be more of a future guy but I think he'd help this season too.

jermaine
03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
The boy can finish around the rim like a grown ass man! Sign that nicca up!

Texas_Ranger
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
At that early stage of his career, I guess his priority will be to go to a team where he will get playing time to improve his market value. Spurs don't really seems a good fit for him.

Yea. He's only 23 and I would guess he'll end up somewhere like Washington or Charlotte. It wouldn't surprise me if he'd sign with Boston, they have big problems with their frontcourt. Just can't think he'd want to play 10-15 minutes right now.

Mal
03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
How are his defensive skills ? Could Bonner - Hickson be worse defensive pair than Bonner - Blair ?

NASpurs
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I guess this improves the Spurs chances in landing one of these three (assuming Diaw is bought out) since not many teams have money to throw at this point right?

TP2150
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
tl7kAv8Wweo

spursince#99
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
i question some of you guys basketball intelligence. why in the hell would you not want this guy? FUCK Boris Diaw. This guy can finish around the rim, a little above average low post defender, has the ability to block shots, shifts feet very well off pick & roll in order to show and recover, and even has a decent post game. why would you not want this guy? Got to be Fucking kidding me.

TP2150
03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Hopefully Danny Ferry and Danny Green can convince him to come here.

DPG21920
03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Interesting development. Spurs should clearly try and get him.

timvp
03-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Right now, he's a much worse defender than Blair or Bonner. It might be difficult to believe but he is. His defensive IQ is Drew Gooden-esque.

That said, he's young, athletic, can rebound and has enough skill to be blossom at some point. But there's just no way he'd be anything but the fifth big this season, IMO. Just too bad defensively.

cd98
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Yea. He's only 23 and I would guess he'll end up somewhere like Washington or Charlotte. It wouldn't surprise me if he'd sign with Boston, they have big problems with their frontcourt. Just can't think he'd want to play 10-15 minutes right now.

Boston might be a good fit. Or even S.A. It's not just about playing time. He needs a staff that knows how to develop a big man with talent. Spurs have a pretty good record with that and if he is good, then he will get better.

Boston is pretty good at development as well.

Sacramento has not been so good. Great players make it no matter where you send them. But good players just need to find the right fit. Obviously Sacramento wasn't that good. But he played well with Lebron. Maybe he even goes to the Heat. They need a big man.

Buddy Holly
Holy moly. That's all that needs to be said. Spurs have to try and get him. He's young and full of potential and has been on shit teams that couldn't utilize said potential. In SA, it will be utilized correctly. Forget Turiaf and Diaw, you get JJ.

DisAsTerBot
what was the reason for the buyout? Isnt he still on a rookie contract?

spursince#99
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Right now, he's a much worse defender than Blair or Bonner. It might be difficult to believe but he is. His defensive IQ is Drew Gooden-esque.

That said, he's young, athletic, can rebound and has enough skill to be blossom at some point. But there's just no way he'd be anything but the fifth big this season, IMO. Just too bad defensively.

This guy can definitely defend dating back to him guarding Gasol and Bynum when he played for the Cavs. That has never been one of his downfalls.

cd98
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM

But is he bad defensively because the Kings are bad defensively? I haven't watched this guy play much. No question he was seen as up and coming when he played on a good team...Cavs/Lebron. He flamed out in Sacramento, but I see that as a place kind of like the Bobcats, they screw up young players. For example, I think Fredette, as limited as he is, would be way better in a different system.

timvp
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Tbh, I'm shocked the Kings weren't able to trade him somewhere for at least a second round pick. There must be something more to the story that isn't in the public for his stock to plummet this far.

TP2150
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Blair Can't do this.
_rlmRBW79Lc

gambit1990
03-19-2012, 04:12 PM

i'd rather him start alongside duncan than blair.

bugmenot
03-19-2012, 04:15 PM
He shoots 37 percent. How does a big man shoot 37????

+ Versatile big man who can finish at rim. Takes too many jumpers.

+ Solid athlete but hugely mistake-prone on defense. Overmatched as a center.

+ Has poor instincts at both ends. Very good rebounder. Improved left hand.

In his third season, Hickson showed signs of cashing in on his offensive promise. He averaged nearly a point every two minutes while turning a somewhat robotic post game into one with a bit more variety and deception. Cleveland gave him plenty of opportunities, as he ranked fourth among centers in usage rate. On many nights, his post game was its main half-court offensive threat.

His biggest problem was that he shot a lot of jumpers and only made a few of them. Hickson shot 32.8 percent beyond 10 feet but attempted more than four shots a game from that distance. And when he caught the ball, it was almost always to shoot it. Hickson ranked 63rd among centers in pure point rating; between that and his low-efficiency shooting, he was an empty trip machine. While he had to be somewhat selfish because of Cleveland's limited alternatives, it's fair to say he went overboard.

One good sign, however, was his progress over the course of the year. Hickson had two-thirds of an awful season and one-third of a pretty good one; after the All-Star break he averaged 16.8 points, 10.8 boards, increased his shooting percentage and slashed his turnovers. He even got a few assists.

No matter what version of plus-minus you were using, Hickson's numbers last season were atrocious. That's partly because of the low-efficiency, high-volume offense. But the other part was his defense; Hickson was a bad power forward trying to play center, where he was even worse. Synergy rated him as by far the league's worst center, while opposing centers cruised to a 19.2 PER against him according to 82games.com. It wasn't his one-on-one play, however, as much as the botched rotations and help defense no-shows that got him in trouble. In his defense, he was in help situations a lot because the Cavs' perimeter defenders were so weak.

Buddy Holly
You'd have to think the Spurs have an advantage with Ferry. The guy that drafted him and believed in him enough not to trade him. Come on, JJ, bring your talents to SA.

spursince#99
This guy is thousand times better than Blair and Bonner. Have you guys watched him? I find that hard to believe when you state such stupidity.

spursince#99
03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
He shoots 37 percent. How does a big man shoot 37????

+ Versatile big man who can finish at rim. Takes too many jumpers.

+ Solid athlete but hugely mistake-prone on defense. Overmatched as a center.

+ Has poor instincts at both ends. Very good rebounder. Improved left hand.

In his third season, Hickson showed signs of cashing in on his offensive promise. He averaged nearly a point every two minutes while turning a somewhat robotic post game into one with a bit more variety and deception. Cleveland gave him plenty of opportunities, as he ranked fourth among centers in usage rate. On many nights, his post game was its main half-court offensive threat.

His biggest problem was that he shot a lot of jumpers and only made a few of them. Hickson shot 32.8 percent beyond 10 feet but attempted more than four shots a game from that distance. And when he caught the ball, it was almost always to shoot it. Hickson ranked 63rd among centers in pure point rating; between that and his low-efficiency shooting, he was an empty trip machine. While he had to be somewhat selfish because of Cleveland's limited alternatives, it's fair to say he went overboard.

One good sign, however, was his progress over the course of the year. Hickson had two-thirds of an awful season and one-third of a pretty good one; after the All-Star break he averaged 16.8 points, 10.8 boards, increased his shooting percentage and slashed his turnovers. He even got a few assists.

No matter what version of plus-minus you were using, Hickson's numbers last season were atrocious. That's partly because of the low-efficiency, high-volume offense. But the other part was his defense; Hickson was a bad power forward trying to play center, where he was even worse. Synergy rated him as by far the league's worst center, while opposing centers cruised to a 19.2 PER against him according to 82games.com. It wasn't his one-on-one play, however, as much as the botched rotations and help defense no-shows that got him in trouble. In his defense, he was in help situations a lot because the Cavs' perimeter defenders were so weak.

Thats bullshit. Put him with Tim Tony and Manu and those numbers automatically increase.

Splits
03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Tbh, I'm shocked the Kings weren't able to trade him somewhere for at least a second round pick. There must be something more to the story that isn't in the public for his stock to plummet this far.

This. How a guy with so much upside and an expiring contract couldn't be shopped at the DL means there must be a skeleton somewhere.

angelbelow
03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
This guys fallen so much. From the Cavs refusing to give him up for Amare to him failing to get playing time on the Kings to being bought out of his rookie contract.

We should go after him but something is up with him (lack of work ethic? unhappy with teammates/coach? just isn't very good?) and I doubt he ever reaches the potential that was hyped for him.

timvp
03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
This guy can definitely defend dating back to him guarding Gasol and Bynum when he played for the Cavs. That has never been one of his downfalls.

Defense has always been his downfall. The Cavs could hardly play him because he never rotated to protect the basket. I didn't know he graded out as the worst defensive center in the entire league as it says in that scouting report ... but it doesn't surprise me.

Now obviously in the Spurs system, he will look better. Duncan can still cover up a lot of mistakes. But there's no way he's an upgrade over Bonner and Blair right out of the box on the defensive end of the court.

MR.SILVER&BLack
03-19-2012, 04:22 PM
they have to try & get him. signing him for a couple season would make up for giving up the 1st round pick to Golden State.

Buddy Holly
03-19-2012, 04:25 PM
It looks like Adrian Woj(restofname) deleted a tweet that said the Spurs are the front runners at landing Hickson.

Edit: Not true. It was a fake tweet being circulated.

TP2150
03-19-2012, 04:29 PM
This is a funny one. Apparently he was traded from Cavs because he could not pick up the new offense had some type of problem with Byron Scott. http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/byron-scott-is-not-impressed-with-jj-hickson/
He played for Mike Brown didn't they run a lot of Spurs stuff

R28YECQILOs

cd98
03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
This guy is thousand times better than Blair and Bonner. Have you guys watched him? I find that hard to believe when you state such stupidity.

I completely disagree. I'm sure the Kings would have taken Blair in a heart beat for a guy rather than giving him away with no compensation. Probably same with Bonner.

Even if he gets a block now and then, that doesn't make him a great defensive player. Just like if Bonner gets a block or a steal no one is going to push him as a candidate for defensive player of the year. And he has gotten a block or a steal this year.

Texas_Ranger
03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Would rather have him than Blair. If JJ is a bad defender then Blair is a terrible defender. And the Spurs could only help him improve, what I don't see Dejuan did from his rookie season.

Mugen
03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
he would not help this season as there is absolutely no way Pop would play him ahead of Bonner or Blair. I like him as a project for next season but Diaw has a better chance of actually supplanting one of the Turd Towers this year.

Ditty
03-19-2012, 04:39 PM
It looks like Adrian Woj(restofname) deleted a tweet that said the Spurs are the front runners at landing Hickson.

no shit? :downspin:

Chomag
03-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Is Diaw now realy good enough to get in a rotation this late in the year? Honestly, I doubt Pop will play either of them at this point. I think any player they sign right now would just be a emergancey back up ,or if anything to put out there when Bonner, or Blair get in Pop's doghouse.

I would rather see spurs use this time to secure a high potential player for the future. So going after this guy maybe the better option.

TP2150
03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Cav fan's didn't like this tweet either from last year during the Championship who knows what happen with the Kings to many bigs there I think.

JJHickson21 JJ Hickson
S/O to the homie @KingJames!!! Go get you one bra!
29 minutes ago

spursince#99
03-19-2012, 04:46 PM

TimmehC
03-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Dear God no. DO NOT WANT.

HarlemHeat37
03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't mind him, but as others have said, there's a decent chance that Pop wouldn't have him as a top 4 big in the rotation, due to his low IQ and lack of experience..

Blair has the same issues, but at least he has 2 years of experience in the system..

Diaw is a veteran and a good friend of one of the team's leaders..there's a realistic chance that he surpasses Blair in the rotation, which is what the Spurs need..

I wouldn't mind the addition of Hickson..he's athletic and plays well in the pick and roll, which is a Spurs staple..his defense is atrocious and he's erratic, but that could be a fixable issue, with the help he would receive..I'd rather get Diaw, though..

Diaw>Hickson>Turiaf, for me..

TP2150
03-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Mike Brown talks Spurs offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gquq5VVZ6bQ

timtonymanu
03-19-2012, 04:56 PM
We're looking for a Blair replacement and a player that can help us win now. I want Diaw over both Turiaf and Hickson. The Diaw situation is taking forever. Hurry the fuck up, Jordan. But Hickson is better than nothing, I suppose. I just don't see him addressing our needs right now. He's more a need for the future.

Buddy Holly
03-19-2012, 04:58 PM

Nope. False tweet.

Mr Bones
03-19-2012, 05:03 PM
It's a bad sign that two lottery teams with terrible records, both in desperate need of young reasonably priced talent, would get rid of him. The Kings couldn't even get a conditional 2nd round pick for him. Red flags galore.

timvp
03-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Wait, the Kings traded Casspi and a first round pick for Hickson? I knew Casspi was in the deal but I didn't realize they also gave up a first round pick.

And Hickson doesn't even make it through one season? Wow, talk about the epic fail of all epic fail trades.

The Kings beat reporters say that they tried desperately to trade him at the deadline and didn't get offered anything. Something's fishy with this dude . . .

tuncaboylu
03-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Bring him now.

Stump
03-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Is there some reason why they can't try to sign both Hickson and Diaw? Hickson could be treated as strictly a project for this season and Diaw as a hopeful rotation player.

I recognize that Hickson has his flaws, but let's face it, as a small-market franchise equipped with only late first-round picks, San Antonio can't be picky. Finding diamond-in-the-rough big men is a whole lot harder than finding guards.

TP2150
03-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I've read a couple statements that he is bit of a head case. No elaboration though maybe Timmy can teach him few things.

Agloco
03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
I think you have to go after him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
He was bought out b/c of his tourney picks
http://www.cleveland.com/marchmadness/celebrity-brackets/index.ssf/2012/03/defending_champ_jj_hickson_has_mizzou_going_all_th e_way_celebrity_bracketology_challenge.html

Agloco
03-19-2012, 05:29 PM
What the hell??

What is this supposed to mean?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/17907738/kings-buy-out-jj-hickson

Hickson will enter a thin bought-out-players free agency market as one of the few players with upside. His considerable athleticism should result in a number of teams taking a look at him. Danny Ferry originally drafted Hickson for the Cavaliers in 2008 and is now part of the San Antonio Spurs' frontcourt, though San Antonio is expected to be centrally focused on either Patty Mills or Derek Fisher.

timvp
03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
^ "frontcourt" should be "front office"

Agloco
03-19-2012, 05:33 PM
^ "frontcourt" should be "front office"

lol...thanks for the assist :tu

Nathan89
03-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I guess this improves the Spurs chances in landing one of these three (assuming Diaw is bought out) since not many teams have money to throw at this point right?
The supply of decent bigs on the market is increasing. That's good news for us.

SenorSpur
03-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't mind him, but as others have said, there's a decent chance that Pop wouldn't have him as a top 4 big in the rotation, due to his low IQ and lack of experience..

I wouldn't mind the addition of Hickson..he's athletic and plays well in the pick and roll, which is a Spurs staple..his defense is atrocious and he's erratic, but that could be a fixable issue, with the help he would receive..I'd rather get Diaw, though..

Diaw>Hickson>Turiaf, for me..

I agree with others who have stated there is something fishy with this kid. The fact that he's still an atrocious defender, after having played a couple of years under former Cavs coach, Mike Brown, who is knows as a defensive coach, is a concern.

Still, I like his length, athleticism and offensive skills. It's quite possible he could be a potential keeper and contributor for a team is this lean on the frontcourt.

I still like Turiaf for his size and defensive presence around the rim. Diaw, to me, would be more of a luxury.

mountainballer
03-19-2012, 05:47 PM
remember Drew Gooden?
you want a poor man's version of Gooden?
potential. jeezzz can't hear this anymore.
you know what. Melvin Ely had potential.
some times potential isn't enough for 29 teams and the one team remaining is the Spurs? common.

NASpurs
03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Sounds like he already knows where he's going?

https://twitter.com/#!/GwashNBAGlobe

Those #celtics fans thinking of JJ Hickson in the frontcourt should not get too excited. NBA source said he's likely committed to another club, and it's not the Celtics

Gino2882
03-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I wonder if Hickson's back injury is actually pretty bad? I guess it isn't a huge surprise that the Kings bought him out now since his contract was expiring. He has the back injury and obviously wasn't in the Kings' longterm plans.

I would have to say he would be an interesting pickup. Bring him in for the remainder of the year and get a real good look to see if the team was interested in signing him for next season and beyond.

timvp
03-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Among the candidates so far, I think it breaks like this:

Boris Diaw - He has a chance to be a difference-maker. It's not that difficult to imagine him starting and playing relatively big minutes. However, there's also a chance Pop hates his style of play.

Ronny Turiaf - Extremely safe signing. You can slide him into that Willis/Massenburg role and he's sure to fit it well. The chances of him playing a big role this year or in the future aren't very high though. His ceiling is becoming the fourth bigman.

JJ Hickson - The best long-term potential. He won't be a star but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he develops into a 14-point, 9-rebound player down the line. That said, it'd be close to impossible for him to crack the rotation this year barring a miracle.

Darkwaters
03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
I'd take Hickson on the cheap in addition to Diaw. But Diaw gives you the best chance in the playoffs. Hickson doesn't change the picture one bit.

Brazil
03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
For me, Turiaf is the best candidate for a run in the PO imho fwiw tbh

Donut
03-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Look out, another waiver wire big that is gonna be signed by the Spurs, take away Blair's and Bonner's minutes, and propel us to a title. Lol.

ace3g
03-19-2012, 06:11 PM

Close

Golden State and Phoenix emerge as frontrunners for J.J. Hickson should he clear waivers, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Splits
03-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Close

Golden State and Phoenix emerge as frontrunners for J.J. Hickson should he clear waivers, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Anyone have a link on waiver wire order? If the Spurs wanted to pick him up off waivers, could they?

benefactor
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Anyone have a link on waiver wire order? If the Spurs wanted to pick him up off waivers, could they?
Nope...over the cap.

Mel_13
03-19-2012, 06:25 PM

If more than one team makes a claim, then the team with the lesser record gets the player.

Only teams with enough cap space or a large enough trade exception can claim a player on waivers. The Spurs have neither.

Two teams with a large enough trade exception:

1. Golden State which was mentioned by Woj.

2. The Lakers, who are coached by the guy who coached Hickson during his first two years in the NBA.

Latarian Milton
03-19-2012, 06:33 PM
dude's a future HOF'er and he'll be a perfect replacement for duncan when TOSB craps out and retires imho

timvp
03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Golden State needs to tank. Hickson's defense (or lack thereof) is great for tanking.

Sounds like a good match.

Gagnrath
03-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Milton he's not a future hall of fame player. Those don't ever hit the waiver wire, (ok Bob Houbregs did it but he was inducted for his college career he was a moderately above average NBA starter at best.) he is likely to turn into a quality starter someday, and perhaps might hit an all star game or two if he ever gets his mental issues figured out.

Tyrone Jenkins
03-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Milton he's not a future hall of fame player. Those don't ever hit the waiver wire, (ok Bob Houbregs did it but he was inducted for his college career he was a moderately above average NBA starter at best.) he is likely to turn into a quality starter someday, and perhaps might hit an all star game or two if he ever gets his mental issues figured out.

Agreed. If he clears waivers, then perhaps.

angelbelow
03-19-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1503/jj-hickson

If true, hes bound for Golden State. With Bogut out and Biedrins still sucking, Hickson could receive some major minutes. Smart move if he wants to try and earn himself a contract in the offseason.

loveforthegame
03-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Would love to have him in GS. I hope he doesn't pick Phoenix but he'd not only get playing time there but they're creeping up for a playoff spot as well.

What was I thinking that the Spurs would actually go after an athletic big. Silly me.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Is Diaw now realy good enough to get in a rotation this late in the year? Honestly, I doubt Pop will play either of them at this point. I think any player they sign right now would just be a emergancey back up ,or if anything to put out there when Bonner, or Blair get in Pop's doghouse.

I would rather see spurs use this time to secure a high potential player for the future. So going after this guy maybe the better option.

Diaw = high BBIQ
Hickson = no BBIQ

Diaw wouldn't be as seamless as Jack integrating, but Hickson would pick up nothing this year with almost no practice time available.

pgardn
03-19-2012, 07:48 PM

You are obviously all about hops. The guy can jump out of the gym. I have also seen him ball faked into oblivion joining the paratroopers club. He is not a smart defensive player. You watch him swat a ball into the stands, ball remains with the shooting team, and I watch him get his sack faked into his mouth. He is very inconsistent on the offensive end if he cant dunk the ball as well.

He needs mucho teaching. He is another among a cadre of great young athletes that lack judgement and situational skills. I think he can be rehabilitated. But cmon, its pretty obvious he has been given chances. And there may be more problems looking at how easily he is given away.

He is a project. If you think he is going to come right in and start you are nuts. Not with Pop.

jon123spurs
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Id rather have diaw if it was me diaw is more experienced and way better defensively IMO but if diaw isn't available for sure I'd like jj he's a big body and that's what he need Go Spurs Go

wildbill2u
03-19-2012, 07:59 PM

With Ferry, the Spurs should know whether or not to make a run. IMO, if you can get him locked in on a two-year deal, he'd be a good pickup for the future. No matter how far he has fallen off the face of the earth, it wasn't long ago that Ferry hesitated trading him for Amare Stoudemire.

Unusual for a young guy with lots of 'buzz' about his upside to be bought out so soon. May be he has maturity problems. Ferry should know all about his potential andmaybe his problems.

When I see a young guy with problems I always think of Gerald Green. It looks like he's finally come around after a couple of years out of the NBA.
After the D league All-Star game where he was MVP the Nets picked him up and he's been playing 21 mpg for them with some very nice stats for a bench guy. I watched him in one game and he was 'beasting'.

Wish Pop had taken a chance with Green, but maybe Hickson is another chance at finding a young athletic forward.

Obstructed_View
03-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Wait, the Kings traded Casspi and a first round pick for Hickson? I knew Casspi was in the deal but I didn't realize they also gave up a first round pick.

And Hickson doesn't even make it through one season? Wow, talk about the epic fail of all epic fail trades.

The Kings beat reporters say that they tried desperately to trade him at the deadline and didn't get offered anything. Something's fishy with this dude . . .

What do they owe him? If they're in the luxury tax it sort of makes sense. Sort of.

Mel_13
03-19-2012, 08:30 PM
What do they owe him? If they're in the luxury tax it sort of makes sense. Sort of.

They're not only under the tax line, they're millions under the salary cap.

Seems like they should have been able to get something at the trade deadline. Now they're just cutting ties with a player that had no future with the team.

Strange.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Seems like they should have been able to get something at the trade deadline. Now they're just cutting ties with a player that had no future with the team.

Strange.

They will probably still lose money with that shitty arena they are in now.

Russo21
03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Jermaine o'neal is likely to be bought out to. He's nothing like he once was but he has size and strength to man the post which we lack outside of duncan and splitter.

If he can hold his ground on D and use his strength to stop the likes of bynum, the gasols, randolph and all the other big bullies from waltzing into the paint at will then thats all we'd need of him.

Think he'd be a good Defensive post player for us in limited minutes, at least better then Bonner and Blair to give duncan and tiago some backup.

Other then that i think he can help us with interior D it will be fun for Stephen Jackson to reunite with Jermaine O'neal. Outside Ron Artest they are the 2 other main offenders of the Malice at the Palace lol. Don't fuck with the spurs or we'll go running into the stand beating the shit out of people lmao

loveforthegame
03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
I thought O'Neal was having season ending surgery??

Mel_13
03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Jermaine o'neal is likely to be bought out to. He's nothing like he once was but he has size and strength to man the post which we lack outside of duncan and splitter.

If he can hold his ground on D and use his strength to stop the likes of bynum, the gasols, randolph and all the other big bullies from waltzing into the paint at will then thats all we'd need of him.

Think he'd be a good Defensive post player for us in limited minutes, at least better then Bonner and Blair to give duncan and tiago some backup.

Other then that i think he can help us with interior D it will be fun for Stephen Jackson to reunite with Jermaine O'neal. Outside Ron Artest they are the 2 other main offenders of the Malice at the Palace lol. Don't fuck with the spurs or we'll go running into the stand beating the shit out of people lmao

O'Neal decided today to have season-ending surgery on his left wrist that will mean the end of his time as a Celtic.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2012/03/oneal_to_have_s.html

Russo21
03-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah i just read that!! Wrist surgery. I didnt know he was still injured, he shouldnt have returned to the nba for this year then. Oh well it woulda been fun lol

Spursfan092120
03-19-2012, 09:08 PM
lol..it would definitely give new material to the JJ Hickson troll, who HATES the Spurs..lol

Obstructed_View
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Strange.

Yeah, It's like someone in the district attorney's office called one of the Malloofs and said "Uh, you know that Hickson guy?"

Texas_Ranger
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Boston is now in big problems. With Wilcox and O'Neal out they'll also probably try to get Turiaf, Diaw or Hickson.

Russo21
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Yep they are in trouble to. Let's see if we can get Hickson before one of the other contenders...

slick'81
03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
hes a warrior

Ice009
03-19-2012, 10:35 PM
hes a warrior

Got a link or at least want to tell us where you heard that?

Leetonidas
03-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Not gonna help us this year. Rather have Diaw

chazley
03-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Diaw has been complete garbage this season, and gets no PT on the most talent deprived team in the league.. but you guys want him over Hickson? Some of you are dumbasses.

chazley
03-19-2012, 10:57 PM
There's maybe one bigger pussy in this league than either Bonner or Jefferson, and it's Diaw. The dude would be hated by the end of this season.

Darkwaters
03-19-2012, 11:44 PM
There's maybe one bigger pussy in this league than either Bonner or Jefferson, and it's Diaw. The dude would be hated by the end of this season.

Clearly an unbiased take of Mr. Diaw

antarescrane
03-19-2012, 11:50 PM

lol you should listen to bill walton's take....

antarescrane
03-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Clearly an unbiased take of Mr. Diaw

Seems to me like nobody can take an unbiased take of diaw, people are either love him or hate him, but come on, how can you not like a guy with that name lol....

antarescrane
03-19-2012, 11:54 PM
so j j is a warrior... is there a link to confirm this?

Darkwaters
03-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I completely disagree. I'm sure the Kings would have taken Blair in a heart beat for a guy rather than giving him away with no compensation. Probably same with Bonner.

Yea, but theres no way that you actually make that trade this season. This isn't Madden or 2K. Players need time to assimilate into a system and it's doubtful JJ would be ready to play this season at all. We're already down to only 4 bigs, by swapping JJ for Blair you essentially go from 4 to 3.

A trade that might have actually made sense was James Anderson for JJ Hickson. I haven't checked the salaries but I assume it's close. But obviously that didn't happen.

Darkwaters
03-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Seems to me like nobody can take an unbiased take of diaw, people are either love him or hate him, but come on, how can you not like a guy with that name lol....

Always makes me think of Golden Eye

http://createfunnyphotos.com/uploads/saved_posters/funny-photo-gbrzwpyihi-BORIS-GRISHENKO.jpg

therealtruth
03-20-2012, 12:09 AM
This guys fallen so much. From the Cavs refusing to give him up for Amare to him failing to get playing time on the Kings to being bought out of his rookie contract.

We should go after him but something is up with him (lack of work ethic? unhappy with teammates/coach? just isn't very good?) and I doubt he ever reaches the potential that was hyped for him.

It was the Suns that backed out of the deal.

xellos88330
03-20-2012, 12:59 AM
He is an athletic big. I like the idea, but I am not completely sold on him. If the Spurs do bring him in, I don't think he could really do anything immediately (if he comes here, I would hope to be pleasantly surprised). The Spurs need an above the rim intimidator. I actually think he could do good as weak side help, but is definitely not ready to be a defensive anchor.

Bruno
03-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Hickson should go the Warriors:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball-golden-state-warriors/warriors-talk/Warriors-set-to-sign-former-Kings-F-Hick?blockID=673116&feedID=2799

It's very troubling that it looks like Spurs are doing nothing to fix their front line. They have been linked to some players at the trade deadline (Flynn, Josh Howard) and have done a trade for Jackson but nothing about a bigman. There are no rumors about Spurs wanting to add one of the waived bigmen while they have been linked to Fisher and will sign Mills. The Dawson signing looks a lot like a placehodler. Either Spurs are fine with what they have, which is just wrong, or they are all in on Diaw, which is risky.

timtonymanu
03-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Spurs should definitely be pushing for Turiaf right now especially with the uncertainty of Diaw being waived or not. What the hell is taking the Charlotte front office so long? It is risky to wait for Diaw if we haven't heard any news that he's actually being waived/

Bruno
03-20-2012, 02:27 AM
What the hell is taking the Charlotte front office so long?

Bargaining on the buyout amount.

Proxy
03-20-2012, 02:31 AM
Are we assuming JJ wouldn't be able to help because of the learning curve?

I wants him, precious.

Paranoid Pop
03-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Diaw has been complete garbage this season, and gets no PT on the most talent deprived team in the league.. but you guys want him over Hickson? Some of you are dumbasses.

What an ultra FAT Diaw managed to do THIS season :

- played point-center/forward for the worst team in the league

- still managed to light up the Knicks... twice, beating them once (19 pts 8-12, 10 rbds, 7 ast, 1 stl & 27 pts 12-15, 6 ast, 3 rbs, 1 stl)

- tied his career high in rebounds against the Heat with 16 (16 Pts 7-14, 16 rbds, 8 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk), they lost by one point before anyone talks about empty stats

Darkwaters
03-20-2012, 05:11 AM

- still managed to light up the Knicks... twice, beating them once (19 pts 8-12, 10 rbds, 7 ast, 1 stl & 27 pts 12-15, 6 ast, 3 rbs, 1 stl)

- tied his career high in rebounds against the Heat with 16 (16 Pts 7-14, 16 rbds, 8 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk), they lost by one point before anyone talks about empty stats

Nice finds.

Diaw is absolutely the best option for us. Does he fit our needs long-term? Not as well as some others. But he gives us the best possible improvement NOW through the end of the season.

Pero
03-20-2012, 05:33 AM
This. How a guy with so much upside and an expiring contract couldn't be shopped at the DL means there must be a skeleton somewhere.

My bet is the skeletons name is DeMarcus Cousins.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Spurs should definitely be pushing for Turiaf right now especially with the uncertainty of Diaw being waived or not. What the hell is taking the Charlotte front office so long? It is risky to wait for Diaw if we haven't heard any news that he's actually being waived/

Bargaining on the buyout amount.

This. Charlotte is a horribly managed franchise that is run on a shoestring. They owe Diaw something like $2M remaining for this year, and are probably trying to get him to surrender it all. Diaw's camp probably wants to give up half or less, which is pretty standard. As the deadline for playoff roster eligibility approaches. Charlotte's stance will naturally soften, since they want him gone, and don't want to pay him his entire salary, since once the deadline passes, Diaw has ZERO motivation to accept a buyout. He'll just sit back and collect his $2M and sit on the bench

TJastal
03-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Got a link or at least want to tell us where you heard that?

:lol

TJastal
03-20-2012, 08:55 AM

wooooowwwww

100%duncan
03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Any player that the Spurs will sign should be focused for short term success, which means, a chance at the LOB this season. Going for the good future wastes the remaining gas in the tank of gino and TD

100%duncan
03-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Nice finds.

Diaw is absolutely the best option for us. Does he fit our needs long-term? Not as well as some others. But he gives us the best possible improvement NOW through the end of the season.

Leetonidas
03-20-2012, 09:10 AM

Aren't you supposed to be a "knowledgeable" poster? :lol He gets no PT because of the strained relationship between him and the Charlotte FO, and, while I don't agree with the reasons, he plays like garbage because he has no motivation and also plays next to awful talent. The guy is a point forward with great vision, what do you expect from him when his best teammate is.......Maggette? Mullins? Augustine?

He's not our savior but he will definitely make us a better team. Motivated and on top of his game he is definitely miles ahead of Bonner and Blair, and them getting less minutes is always a positive especially when you're replacing their minutes with a proven player. Turiaf is going to take minutes from Splitter and he sucks fat cock anyway and Hickson won't come here and won't get much time out there, plus he's an awful defender.

As far as our options go, Diaw is all there is

Russ
03-20-2012, 09:11 AM

I want Diaw!

(Of course, I also wanted Gooden and RJ, two other pudgy enigmatic talents.)

Ice009
03-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Any player that the Spurs will sign should be focused for short term success, which means, a chance at the LOB this season. Going for the good future wastes the remaining gas in the tank of gino and TD

I'm looking for players that can help this season. If we had the roster space to add in a few players for next season and beyond I'd be all for it, but as it stands right now I mainly want to Spurs to get players that can help us this season.

100%duncan
03-20-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm looking for players that can help this season. If we had the roster space to add in a few players for next season and beyond I'd be all for it, but as it stands right now I mainly want to Spurs to get players that can help us this season.

exactly my point

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
is it possible to sign diaw and play with small ball lineup for rest of the game with duncan starting as the center, and rotating with splitter off the bench?

swaggerjackson
03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't even think that a lineup with duncan and diaw is small. Diaw is 6-8 and big enough to defend the post. He would be great to put beside Duncan. Remember we were after this guy when he was in the draft. He and Duncan should compliment each other nicely because both are smart and fantastic passers. Plus Diaw can really stretch the defense when he is hitting the three. Why has there been no talk of a buyout for him recently tho?

Darkwaters
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM

Well, assuming that Dawson's not resigned for the rest of the season and Patty Mills is confirmed a Spur, the team actually has two roster spots available. If they ink Diaw then they have one spot remaining for a project.

JJ Hickson would be my first choice for that project roster spot, but the old standard has been to raid the D-League and lock up some interesting training camp invites. Last year we brought in Da'Sean Butler and Danny Green and actually did pretty well there.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Hickson should go the Warriors:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball-golden-state-warriors/warriors-talk/Warriors-set-to-sign-former-Kings-F-Hick?blockID=673116&feedID=2799

It's very troubling that it looks like Spurs are doing nothing to fix their front line. They have been linked to some players at the trade deadline (Flynn, Josh Howard) and have done a trade for Jackson but nothing about a bigman. There are no rumors about Spurs wanting to add one of the waived bigmen while they have been linked to Fisher and will sign Mills. The Dawson signing looks a lot like a placehodler. Either Spurs are fine with what they have, which is just wrong, or they are all in on Diaw, which is risky.

I hear you Bruno, but it sounds like they are going all in for Diaw and maybe they know something we don't in regards to his availability.

None of us knew about the SJax trade till half an hour before it happened. I just can't see the Spurs trying to stand pat. Even Tony is trying to be tight lipped about the big man situation.

TJastal
03-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't even think that a lineup with duncan and diaw is small. Diaw is 6-8 and big enough to defend the post. He would be great to put beside Duncan. Remember we were after this guy when he was in the draft. He and Duncan should compliment each other nicely because both are smart and fantastic passers. Plus Diaw can really stretch the defense when he is hitting the three. Why has there been no talk of a buyout for him recently tho?

Because it's Michael Jordan. He probably doesn't want to pay Diaw a dime.

TJastal
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM

I think it's somewhat debatable whether the spurs need a floor spreader next to Timmy. Stats show it does work with Bonner but come playoff time I think the best fit is a guy who wants to work the post next to Duncan since Tim spends more and more time out on the free throw line extended nowadays. It'll probably be Dejuan Blair but I'm holding out hope that Pop has an epiphany and tries Tiago before its too late.

Obstructed_View
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM

Yeah, you've sold me on this. Diaw's a better fit than Hickson right now.

Obstructed_View
03-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Yeah, you've sold me on this. Diaw's a better fit than Hickson right now. A big that doesn't contribute this season isn't better than none at all.

rascal
03-20-2012, 11:29 AM
This guy has raw skills, athleticism(prabably the reason why the spurs won't go after him, seems like the spurs shy away from athletic types) and potential that the Spurs can work with and get a really good player for cheap.

He has already shown he can play in the league but needs to work on certain aspects of his game. He would be good as a role player on a good team and that is all he would have to be on the Spurs at this time.

The spurs could be a good destination to take him to the next level.

SenorSpur
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't expect the Spurs to get anywhere with this guy either?

Big P
03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Hickson was picked up off waivers from Portland....GS got the chorizo.

Bruno
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Good move by Portland. They will get a look a Hickson for a relatively small cost and if they like him, they can make him a RFA to keep him after this season.

On a more global note, I find that teams underused the waivers procedure. A team like Indiana should have claimed Turiaf and Minny should have claimed Anthony Carter.

DPG21920
03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Isn't POR looking to dump money and rebuild though?

Also, on waivers, don't you have to pay the full salary or is it a bid from a team with cap space?

Bruno
03-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Isn't POR looking to dump money and rebuild though?

If Hickson works with them, he is a nice piece to have fro a rebuilding team.

Also, on waivers, don't you have to pay the full salary or is it a bid from a team with cap space?

You have to pay all the remaining money left on the previous contract. In Hickson case, it's about $500K-$600K.

DPG21920
03-21-2012, 06:54 PM
If Hickson works with them, he is a nice piece to have fro a rebuilding team.

You have to pay all the remaining money left on the previous contract. In Hickson case, it's about $500K-$600K.

But won't his ~4M QO eat their cap space?

Also, the guy who reported was wrong I guess as he said "Portland placed the highest bid on Hickson.."

What happens if two teams with cap space want to claim a player?

Bruno
03-21-2012, 07:07 PM
But won't his ~4M QO eat their cap space?

If they keep him, it will eat some capspace like for every single player.
If they don't like him, they won't make a QO and it won't eat their cap space.

Also, the guy who reported was wrong I guess as he said "Portland placed the highest bid on Hickson.."

What happens if two teams with cap space want to claim a player?

In the traditional waiver procedure, that is to say outside the amnesty rule, teams, who claim a player, get him under his full previous contract. If two teams claim the same player, the team with the worst record get him.

DPG21920
03-21-2012, 07:08 PM
I see, thanks.

Darkwaters
03-22-2012, 03:38 AM
I guess our discussions about Hickson were all unnecessary afterall.

Blazers Claim Hickson Off Waivers
Mar 21, 2012 6:40 PM EDT

The Blazers have claimed J.J. Hickson from waivers, according to a source.

Hickson was already in New Orleans with the Warriors, who had an agreement with Golden State dependent on clearing waivers.

Hickson was waived this week by the Kings.

Via Sam Amick/SI.com (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219983/Blazers_Claim_Hickson_Off_Waivers#ixzz1pphtL1cW

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2012, 03:42 AM

we were after him when he was a FA while he was at the hawks