PDA

View Full Version : Espn: Lakers could amnesty/cut Kobe

ChrisRichards
03-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Royce Webb:

Could the Lakers cut Kobe? Larry Coon, our salary cap expert, discusses why the Lakers may consider it (Insider):

http://es.pn/xekfr5

ChrisRichards
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
It would be a smart business move tbh. Lakers can focus on Deron and another younger All Star player via Gasol trade next year.

Deron
Bynum
3rd All Star Caliber player

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Glock is ready to take over

pass1st
03-19-2012, 05:25 PM
The chances of LAL cutting Kobe is about the same as Dwight & Deron both signing to SAS.

ChrisRichards
03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Seriously speaking though, Jim Buss shows no sentiment when it comes to running that team. Refusing to resign Phil, trading Odom and Fisher. Gasol was heavily shopped but no takers. If the opportunity to sign a younger All star caliber player arrives, I won't be surprised if Jim amnesties Kobe in the offseason especially if Kobe has a stinker series. Buss is more than ready to build his own legacy and he wants Kobe out of the picture.

Reck
03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Seriously speaking though, Jim Buss shows no sentiment when it comes to running that team. Refusing to resign Phil, trading Odom and Fisher. Gasol was heavily shopped but no takers. If the opportunity to sign a younger All star caliber player arrives, I won't be surprised if Jim amnesties Kobe in the offseason especially if Kobe has a stinker series. Buss is more than ready to build his own legacy and he wants Kobe out of the picture.

Specially in the coming years..

pass1st
03-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Like I said, I don't see Buss wanting to cut out Kobe. Doesn't matter how much he sucks, the marketing value for him is still too much to give up on.

Ricky Davis
03-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't remember this in the Kobe System brochure.

"How do you know when you're in the Kobe System? You'll know when your team amnesties you for leading the team in shots and shooting 35% from the field."

baseline bum
03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Not a chance; they could only clear about $5-$6 million in capspace by amnestying Bryant and holding onto Bynum.

ElNono
03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Not a chance; they could only clear about $5-$6 million in capspace by amnestying Bryant and holding onto Bynum.

This. On top of that, Buss would need to pay him $15-$20 million (if he gets a $10-$15 million deal with another team).

Rick Santorum
03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
I would love to get fucked in the ass by Kobe's black cock.

ChrisRichards
03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Los Angeles Lakers, $26 million over the cap, $13 million over the tax line: The Lakers have an aging roster led by Kobe Bryant, who will be 34 at the start of the 2012-13 season. But their nucleus of Bryant, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum (who has a team option for $16.1 million that is sure to be picked up) will keep the franchise in contention for a title for the next season or two. GM Mitch Kupchak managed to improve the team while saving money at the trade deadline, but the salary savings are a drop in the bucket in comparison to its massive payroll.

However, the Lakers have nobody signed past the 2013-14 season and are positioning themselves for a roster overhaul in 2014. But the more interesting scenario to contemplate is what happens in 2013, when they will have a 35-year-old Bryant making $30.5 million, a 33-year-old Gasol making $19.3 million and a 26-year-old Bynum likely making $17 million after signing an extension. It's no secret that the Lakers' current title run will last only as long as Bryant remains at the top of his game. As soon as he hangs up his sneakers, it's time to rebuild around Bynum.

While it may seem like a no-brainer for the Lakers to use their amnesty provision this summer on Metta World Peace (lopping $7.3 million off their cap right away and saving $15 million in luxury-tax payments during the next two years), the team may actually have something else in mind. Keep in mind, dropping from $26 million over the cap to $19 million over the cap doesn't help -- the Lakers' only benefit comes from their reduced luxury-tax payments. So why not hang on to their amnesty card as an insurance policy?

If he's no longer able to play at a high level, then leaving his $30 million on their salary cap only forestalls their rebuilding process. By using their amnesty on Bryant in 2013, they get the process started a year earlier.

A crazy idea? Perhaps. But if they don't use their amnesty on World Peace this summer, you'll know why.

Latarian Milton
03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
even with kobe cut they still have a shitload of trashes stuck at their hands that they cannot get rid of, they have zero chance @ deron or DH imho

ChrisRichards
03-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Specially in the coming years..
You're right though realisitcally, I don't see it happening this year. But on the final year of his contract? Huge possibility IMO. He'll be 35 y/o making $30 million. Larry Coon brought up a valid point. The Lakers can actually start early like next year and start the rebuilding process. But the only way LA does this is if they're guaranteed to bring another star player that can generate excitement at the Staples Center.

Like I said, I don't see Buss wanting to cut out Kobe. Doesn't matter how much he sucks, the marketing value for him is still too much to give up on.
True, no argument there. But what if Kobe's play is becoming a distraction for the teams success, especially Bynum's growth? If Kobe continues to play his brand of basketball next year and the Lakers are hoevring around the 500 winning mark, then I think its plausible.

Spur_Fanatic
03-19-2012, 06:00 PM
The chances of LAL cutting Kobe is about the same as Dwight & Deron both signing to SAS.

baseline bum
03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Cutting Bryant loose in 2013 only gets their committed salaries down into the neighborhood of $50 million. Bryant isn't getting amnestied.

baseline bum
03-19-2012, 06:03 PM
People actually pay ESPN for these retarded insider articles? This has to be one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard floated by them.

Giuseppe
03-19-2012, 06:22 PM
:rolleyes

pass1st
03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
You're right though realisitcally, I don't see it happening this year. But on the final year of his contract? Huge possibility IMO. He'll be 35 y/o making $30 million. Larry Coon brought up a valid point. The Lakers can actually start early like next year and start the rebuilding process. But the only way LA does this is if they're guaranteed to bring another star player that can generate excitement at the Staples Center.

True, no argument there. But what if Kobe's play is becoming a distraction for the teams success, especially Bynum's growth? If Kobe continues to play his brand of basketball next year and the Lakers are hoevring around the 500 winning mark, then I think its plausible.

Unless they make major moves, such as bringing in D-Will, Kobe's place on the team probably wont come to question.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-19-2012, 07:07 PM
I would love to get fucked in the ass by Kobe's black cock.

I don't feel comfortable voting for you anymore, Rick.

Juggity
03-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Lakersground would never be able to recover if this went down. :lol

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Lakersground would never be able to recover if this went down. :lol

Neither would this place. It'd be even more Kobe-centric than it already is.

Juggity
03-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Neither would this place. It'd be even more Kobe-centric than it already is.

I dunno, spurstalk doesn't crash every time the Lakers lose a game, let alone a "franchise player."

wanggi
03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Amnesting Kobe? Kobe'd rather go suicide!
He has nowhere to go unless the city big enough as New York.
BTW, it's good news for cubby. At least, he can eventually rest and hide in the rest of his life.

Giuseppe
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
I dunno, spurstalk doesn't crash every time the Lakers lose a game

But, it does create an EC.

tee, hee.

Giuseppe
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Amnesting Kobe? Kobe'd rather go suicide!
He has nowhere to go unless the city big enough as New York.
BTW, it's good news for cubby. At least, he can eventually rest and hide in the rest of his life.

Please.

wanggi
03-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Please.

It sounds so sexy every time you say "please".

Man In Black
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
35% from the field?

LMFAO seriously.... To see Staples cry after Bean bricked that 3 last night...Pricelesss.
He should've recognized he shit was way off, like Siberia Cold.

Shitbag didn't recognize, hence the L. At home no less.
:lol

Giuseppe
03-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Shitbag

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

Budkin
03-19-2012, 07:59 PM
What is the point of this article? Stupid.

Giuseppe
03-19-2012, 08:00 PM
What is the point of this article?

Sell "newspapers" & wampum.

irishock
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
So they give up on making $$$$?

Giuseppe
03-19-2012, 08:45 PM
So they give up on making $$$$?

No. Just making sure they're not viewed as some benevolent entity instead of the snake oil salemen they are.

Man In Black
03-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Nope sep...just calling a spade a spade and kobe's shitbagplay, shitbag...you on the other hand...FABRICATE SHIT UP.

BRHornet45
03-20-2012, 02:19 AM
sons even though this would be an excellent move for the Lakers to improve the quality of basketball they put on the court and to improve their chances of success, they won't do it because Kobe makes them money. plain and simple. The Kobe agenda that the media has been pushing for a decade and a half now is very strong and its all about making money. nothing more.

Giuseppe
03-20-2012, 05:49 AM
shitbag

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

Giuseppe
03-20-2012, 05:50 AM
The Kobe agenda that the media has been pushing for a decade and a half now is very strong and its all about making money. nothing more.

& it's about:::

Kobe: 5

the tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

Let us proceed...

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2012, 06:44 AM
are the lakers starting to return like t he lakers of 05/06 -07/08???

Giuseppe
03-20-2012, 06:47 AM
are the lakers starting to return like t he lakers of 05/06 -07/08???

If so, it's a 3rd back-to-back of the century too late.

:lmao

Dex
03-20-2012, 08:42 AM

JamStone
03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Doesn't make sense unless they blow up the entire thing and build around Bynum. They'd have to try and trade Pau too. Pau and Bynum (foreseeably) would be making close to $40 million themselves by then (if Bynum is extended to what he projects to make). $40 million on two players even with a couple smaller contracts already eats up a lot of cap space. So I think if they amnesty Kobe, they'd probably have to blow it all up anyway. Forget the financial implications of waiving Kobe. They'd most likely be on full rebuild if that were to happen.

wanggi
03-20-2012, 09:13 AM
sons even though this would be an excellent move for the Lakers to improve the quality of basketball they put on the court and to improve their chances of success, they won't do it because Kobe makes them money. plain and simple. The Kobe agenda that the media has been pushing for a decade and a half now is very strong and its all about making money. nothing more.

A half of your post agreed.

"they won't do it because Kobe makes them money. plain and simple. "

Not only that.
First, with the new signees, the Lakers still can make money(maybe not that much) and make even a better title run.
Secondly, Kobe will lose the big stage if he is kicked out by the Lakers.
By now, Pau and Bynum support Kobe to keep shinning in the big city.
I can imagine how pathetic this selfish player will be - if he is traded to any other mediocre team/city.
Besides, there is no time to waste for a big aging fish in a small pond.

If Kobe is traded...My answer is:" His pro career can be much worse than ever whether he still can score or not. Plain and simple."

Baseline
03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Yes, they could amnesty Bryant, and that would be a good decision. The guy went 6-24 in a Game 7, and got bailed out by Pau. Now his dismal volume shooting is being bailed out by both Bynum and Gasol. How much longer can the two bigs carry the load? How many more 3-20 and 9-31 nights can Laker fans expect? His shooting percentage is .424 thus far, and is dropping. Can you say Vince Carter?

The better play would have been to trade Bryant to NJ for Deron Williams, Kris Humphries, and Anthony Morrow. LA gets a PG who can distribute and still score 20 a night, and can shoot threes. Plus, they get an insane 6th man rebounder in Humphries, and a 3-pt marksman in Morrow, which they desperately need.

But...Bryant is the only player in the league with a no-trade clause. This idiot is not only the most overrated player in the league - he's the most overrated player of all time.

Giuseppe
03-20-2012, 04:41 PM
The guy went 6-24 in a Game 7

& had the ideals to trust Artest.

tee, hee.

DMC
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes, they could amnesty Bryant, and that would be a good decision. The guy went 6-24 in a Game 7, and got bailed out by Pau. Now his dismal volume shooting is being bailed out by both Bynum and Gasol. How much longer can the two bigs carry the load? How many more 3-20 and 9-31 nights can Laker fans expect? His shooting percentage is .424 thus far, and is dropping. Can you say Vince Carter?

The better play would have been to trade Bryant to NJ for Deron Williams, Kris Humphries, and Anthony Morrow. LA gets a PG who can distribute and still score 20 a night, and can shoot threes. Plus, they get an insane 6th man rebounder in Humphries, and a 3-pt marksman in Morrow, which they desperately need.

But...Bryant is the only player in the league with a no-trade clause. This idiot is not only the most overrated player in the league - he's the most overrated player of all time.
If Kris Humprhies ended up in LA, the fat Kardashian would commit suicide.

wanggi
03-20-2012, 11:11 PM
My conclusion is, there will be a disaster for Kobe if he gets amnestied. Unless Kobe can lead his new team to the NBA Champioship.
Stand tall don't you fall.

ChrisRichards
03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
@ Baseline. Lakers cannot trade Kobe. He has a NTC.

I still don't think its possible this off season, but I begin to wonder after next season. Kobe another year older, another year of basketball in those legs. I can only imagine how aweful Kobe will be post All Star break. which is around the same time Kobe hits a wall.

The thing is Kobe can still be a Top 5 player in the game. All he needs to do is adjust his game and allow Bynum and Gasol to flourish. With averages of 23 ppg, 5 rpg and 5 apg in excellent efficiency, he can still lead the Lakers deep into the playoffs and don't say he can't do it because he has absolutely displayed this type of basketball. He's just too stubborn to admit at this point that he's not 1st option material anymore.

But as long as Laker fans loves Kobe, I just don't see the Buss family amnestying him. His MVP chants on Sunday despite of his horrible 3/20 performance says it all.

wanggi
03-20-2012, 11:31 PM
..His MVP chants on Sunday despite of his horrible 3/20 performance says it all.

That's why I said there will be a disater for Kobe if he gets amnestied.

Giuseppe
03-20-2012, 11:33 PM

I still don't think its possible this off season, but I begin to wonder after next season. Kobe another year older, another year of basketball in those legs. I can only imagine how aweful Kobe will be post All Star break. which is around the same time Kobe hits a wall.

The thing is Kobe can still be a Top 5 player in the game. All he needs to do is adjust his game and allow Bynum and Gasol to flourish. With averages of 23 ppg, 5 rpg and 5 apg in excellent efficiency, he can still lead the Lakers deep into the playoffs and don't say he can't do it because he has absolutely displayed this type of basketball. He's just too stubborn to admit at this point that he's not 1st option material anymore.

But as long as Laker fans loves Kobe, I just don't see the Buss family amnestying him. His MVP chants on Sunday despite of his horrible 3/20 performance says it all.

Fuck me. You covered every fucking inch of your ass. Ain't a single path in. No matter what happens, you're right.

Congratulations, asshole.

redzero
03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
That's why I said there will be a disater for Kobe if he gets amnestied.

Tell me more about Dale beating his wife. Details, please.

wanggi
03-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Tell me more about Dale beating his wife. Details, please.

That was about 10 years ago.
Me and cubby commented on PHXSuns board.
He mentioned about the bitch(wife)should be beaten. He admitted that he beat his wife sometimes and laughing at what he did to his wife.
I can't remember very well but I recall that I advised cubby not to beat the wife.

Baseline
03-20-2012, 11:58 PM

CR - Yes, I know. He's the only player in the league who has a No-Trade Clause. Then again, if I knew I was stealing 83M over the next three years, I'd ask for a No-Trade Clause, too.

I was just bringing to attention how valuable having a scoring type of player who passes the ball (Deron Williams) would be to a Laker team who boasts two guys who are nearly ten feet long, are are very skilled. So since the Lakers can't trade Bryant unless he mercifully waves his NTC, they will either have to amnesty him, or live with him.

By the way, you know how guys like Tim Duncan and many others have taken less money to accomodate their team bringing in additional players? To date, Bryant has never, ever taken one nickel less than the max. Never ever, including his last contract extension. Hey, what a guy.

But the selfishness doesn't end there, of course. Case in point was tonight. Bryant re-entered the game with 4:$5 left in the 4th, and the Lakers up by 4 pts. Houston was in the middle of their comeback flurry. When Bryant came back in the game, he was 7-20. His solution to the bleeding was to jack up three straight jumpers, all misses, which ignited the Houston fast break. Bryant also committed a turnover and proceeded to get beat down the court by not one but two Rockets. Uncontested lay-up for Houston. Rockets go up - for good - overcoming a 12-point Laker lead with 6 minutes to go. Bryant did hit three out of his last four jumpers, but missed a three-ball to tie it with about ten seconds left. He did not have an assist over the last 4:45 despite the fact that the entire arena knew he was going to shoot, and Pau Gasol was 10-14 for the game. Bynum had been ejected, by the way. So there was Pau having a reat night, hitting everything, and the two Rocket bigs were Scola and Patrick Patterson, both listed at 6'9" - but both are more like 6'8".

I live in LA and see almost every Laker road game, because I love to watch them lose. With Bryant going unrestrained on this season-long shooting binge, things won't get much better. Bynum, despite Bryant, is becoming the best offensive center in the league. Gasol is already a Top 3 offensive power forward. I've been saying it for years, but I just can't understand the fascination with this fool. Granted, Laker fans are complete and total morons. But still...how difficult is it to see that Bryant makes the game MORE DIFFICULT for his teammates on a nightly basis?

I will say this. This season is the first time I've heard Laker broadcast people or radio personalities actually speak up about his selfish play. James Worthy almost lost his mind last week after the 9-31 game.

Tonight he was 10-27. Two games ago he was 3-20. I don't know. Basketball is a team sport, and Bryant is just making a mockery of it. I'll go to my grave saying that he's the most hideous player to watch who's every played in the league. I hate the Lakers, so I love the fact that they're playing mediocre ball and not dominating. But I also love basketball, so it just strikes a chord with me when I see ten foot long guys not getting the ball when they're two feet from the basket...yet they find themselves fighting for rebounding postition after yet another 21-foot fadeaway.

redzero
03-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Me and cubby commented on PHXSuns board.
He mentioned about the bitch(wife)should be beaten. He admitted that he beat his wife sometimes and laughing at what he did to his wife.
I can't remember very well but I recall that I advised cubby not to beat the wife.

Thank you. That's more than enough. :lol

Giuseppe
03-21-2012, 12:10 AM
pedophile wife-beater who lives on Spurstalk

:toast

Giuseppe
03-21-2012, 12:11 AM

The middle of the 3 Peat, when I shuttered AZ Central.

tee, hee.

redzero
03-21-2012, 12:13 AM
:lol Dale's not even trying to deny it.

Giuseppe
03-21-2012, 12:15 AM
:lol Dale's not even trying to deny it.

- "Keeps 'em humble."

- Eric Roberts - "The Pope of Greenwich Village

wanggi
03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
If there's anything that can top 46-year old troll, that should be it

Who told you he's 46 years old?

Sportstudi
03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
CR - Yes, I know. He's the only player in the league who has a No-Trade Clause.

He isn't. Dirk has one as well.