PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Rotation

Ginobleed20
03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Hello! new poster here, looking forward to being a part of the site.

Ever since the Jack trade I've been thinking about our playoff rotation. My starting lineup would be

Parker
Jackson
Leonard
Duncan
Splitter,

With Neal, Manu and Bonner getting minutes of the bench, as well as spot minutes for blair. Unfortunately, I don't see Pop starting splitter, although against the likes of the grizzlies and lakers it almost seems like a necessity.

What do you guys think? and what do you think pop will actually do?

ElNono
03-19-2012, 08:19 PM
:lol lotsa new posters

The Jack effect or just trolls?

Anyhow, Welcome to ST!

Hooks
03-19-2012, 08:23 PM
I can see it now "Leonard and Green arent ready for the playoffs :pop:"

Spurs will go down to whatever team 0-3 then Pop finally rolls out the young guys like he did with Hill and Splitter their rookie seasons, Spurs win the next 2 games then wind up losing the series.

Stalin
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
indeed, jackson's trade has brought this influx of gnsf's upon us

Ginobleed20
03-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Has nothing to do with the trade - I took a couple weeks after applying to get cleared to post

Stalin
03-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Has nothing to do with the trade - I took a couple weeks after applying to get cleared to post

lies

Brazil
03-19-2012, 09:31 PM
lies

he is greek

jon123spurs
03-19-2012, 09:34 PM
New poster here too and not because of the trade even though I love the trade I've been trying to get cleared finally got cleared today also so anyway about the rotation i would like to see Splitter at C Duncan at Pf Jackson at Sf Ginobili at Sg and Parker at PG. 6th man Kawhi then Neal and Blair and green oh and of course Bonner we can't forget Bonner pops love child anyways I'm looking forward to the spurs playoffs

maverick1948
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
First off, being new, you wont know that what you think has been said on here several thousand times(maybe 100,000). Pop has not play Tiago and Tim together very often this season. As the season progresses into the final month, we MAY see them on the court more. They will not start together, but they will see time closing games.

As for a playoff rotation, Duncan, Blair, Leonard, Green and Parker will start. Jack, Manu, Neal, Matty and Splitter will rotate in and out. Depending on who we sign off waivers, they may or may not have any impact in the playoffs. I don't see getting away from the 10 man rotation unless we have bad matchups, then adjustments will be made.

George Gervin's Afro
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
When do the finals start? What's our playoff rotation?
:sleep

Ginobleed20
03-19-2012, 10:00 PM
I find it hard to believe that we will keep a ten man rotation going into the playoffs. With parker playing big minutes at the point, that basically leaves five wing players rotating out of the sg sf slots (with neal getting some minutes backing up parker, and leonard/jackson playing some smallball four)

As manu and Jax get incorporated into the rotation, someone has to pay the price. In the playoffs, the goal is maximizing minutes amongst your best pieces, not playing the most players

ElNono
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
The backcourt is going to be Tony/Manu/Neal... with Tony and Manu getting the most minutes and Neal filling in as needed.

At SF is going to have to be mostly Jack getting the mins if he's in shape and Kawhi filling in.

Upfront it's going to be mostly Tim and different combinations. I expect Matt to get the bulk of the minutes, but Blair will be tried against certain matchups and so will Tiago. There's also the very likely possibility that we're going to see quite a bit of small ball, with a shooter like Jack at the 4, and the Neal/Parker/Manu 3 guard lineup.

therealtruth
03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
The starting lineup I would like to see is Tp, Manu, KL, TD, TS. Neal, Green, Jackson, and Blair come of the bench. You have 3 shot creators in Neal, Green, and Jackson. It allows us to start our strongest defensive unit and have a good balance of offense.

Pop switched Blair out of the starting lineup for Dice for defensive reasons and said it was his plan all along. I'm wondering if he's thinking of doing the same thing with Tiago. Tiago is close to or better than Dice in everything but his jumper.

therealtruth
03-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I find it hard to believe that we will keep a ten man rotation going into the playoffs. With parker playing big minutes at the point, that basically leaves five wing players rotating out of the sg sf slots (with neal getting some minutes backing up parker, and leonard/jackson playing some smallball four)

As manu and Jax get incorporated into the rotation, someone has to pay the price. In the playoffs, the goal is maximizing minutes amongst your best pieces, not playing the most players

I wonder about Pop's ideas about that. Does he think he can play a 10 man rotation in the playoffs or will he tighten the rotation? If he does tighten the rotation how does he expect his starters to suddenly go from <30 minutes to 35+ intense playoff minutes? Also playoff minutes are not equal to regular season minutes and are much more intense. We saw how Duncan was able to start fast against the Grizzlies but not have much left in the second half.

If Pop is going to need his starters for heavy minutes they've got to start putting in the time now to get enough conditioning. The ironic thing is that from what I believe the most heavy part of the schedule is yet to come and he's probably going to want to rest them more.

shorttotry
03-19-2012, 11:18 PM
As for a playoff rotation, Duncan, Blair, Leonard, Green and Parker will start. Jack, Manu, Neal, Matty and Splitter will rotate in and out.

By playoff time there isn't a chance Leonard starts over Jackson. I love 'em both, but it's Pop and you know his rookie love. Jackson isn't a newbie to the Spurs system, he's proven his himself during playoffs, and he has plenty of playing time alongside the Big 3.

The fact of the matter is that with the Blair on the floor, opposing teams will crowd the paint with the Leonard/ Blair combo. Action Jackson will make them pay if they do. Not starting Jackson or Manu is a serious lack of stretching of the floor.

On the opposite end of the argument, pairing Leonard with Bonner off the bench helps stop the leaking that is Bonner in rebounds.

kaji157
03-20-2012, 10:29 AM
As Ginobili said in an earlier interview today, heŽll have a 10 game special plan where he intends to find his best (phisical) shape. During those games he wonŽt crack the 24 min mark.
After that heŽll have 13 games to get into basketball shape, usually Manu is back to bb shape very fast, if he does this within, say, 5 games, i think we can have our playoff rotation a few days before the PO. If not it will be a work in progress.

This is why i believe we might see a lot of variations, but we wonŽt know untill the PO start.
Also the Spurs are surelly going to sign a big which i expect (finally) takles some minutes off Bonner.

therealtruth
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Pop's got to form that playoff rotation soon. He blamed losing last year on losing rhythm as a team which he was partly responsible for when starting Dice. But him constantly changing the rotations and lineups doesn't help.

spurraider21
02-09-2015, 12:43 PM
:stirpot: