PDA

View Full Version : Warriors to Retire Richard Jefferson's #24

dallasmaverickslose
03-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Let's give a big round of applause to one of the greatest Spurs of all time.

antarescrane
03-19-2012, 11:55 PM
He's playing pretty well today haha

Mugen
03-19-2012, 11:57 PM
RJ having his best game of the season so far today :lol

Robz4000
03-20-2012, 12:00 AM
He'll go off on the Spurs for 40 points the next few times they meet.

Beanzamillion21
03-20-2012, 12:01 AM
I just threw up everywhere. Thanks OP.

chazley
03-20-2012, 12:02 AM
RJ looks really good tonight. Goes to show you it was more of the Spurs system than RJ's decline as a player that attributed to the drop in his stats. He was asked to play a role here, where on a lesser team he can do alot more.

Darkwaters
03-20-2012, 12:03 AM
I figured when I clicked on this link a rick roll would start.

chazley
03-20-2012, 12:06 AM
I've been looking and can't find anything.. has there been any interviews/quotes from RJ so far since he was traded?

timvp
03-20-2012, 12:16 AM
RJ with 19 points off the bench yet still manages to post a -10 in a game his team lost by four points. Amazing. The guy is going to allow the Warriors to keep that pick no problem.

MI21
03-20-2012, 12:32 AM
lol @ RJ putting up stats he put up maybe 10 times in 2.5 seasons with the Spurs

therealtruth
03-20-2012, 12:44 AM
RJ looks really good tonight. Goes to show you it was more of the Spurs system than RJ's decline as a player that attributed to the drop in his stats. He was asked to play a role here, where on a lesser team he can do alot more.

Exactly. The guy looks like a different player. It's sickening. That's why I don't think this team plays to its potential. It's not just the points. It's the confidence and the variety of ways he's scoring.

The ADMIRAL 50
03-20-2012, 12:44 AM
RJ with 19 points off the bench yet still manages to post a -10 in a game his team lost by four points. Amazing. The guy is going to allow the Warriors to keep that pick no problem.
:lol
Probably the right move for em too tbh. Can't really see how tanking for the pick isnt the way to go. Never know what can happen in the lottery, especially in next years draft, and they were never gonna put up with Jack. They get a pick in compensation for paying their problem to go away while taking on ours. At RJ least is so passive these days he'll ride out the rebuild and collect his ten mill per with nary a peep.

Buddy Holly
03-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Exactly. The guy looks like a different player. It's sickening. That's why I don't think this team plays to its potential. It's not just the points. It's the confidence and the variety of ways he's scoring.

Dude had a -10. He's just sucking in a new flashier style.

timtonymanu
03-20-2012, 12:50 AM

RJ had many opportunities to work out here. On nights where one of the Big 3 was out, Jefferson had chances to lead the team. He was the 4th most talented player on the team yet guys like George Hill, Gary Neal, and Kawhi Leonard were the ones that ended up leading the team while RJ would be afraid to do anything and put up his usual 2-6 FG stats.

Bruno
03-20-2012, 01:14 AM
RJ had 50 FTA in 1168 minutes with Spurs.
In 67 minutes with Warriors, he still has had 13 FTA.

We will see if this trend continue because 2 games is a too small sample size but RJ being bad with Spurs could have been mainly because of not fitting with the team and not because of RJ aging.

Spursfanfromafar
03-20-2012, 01:19 AM

We will see if this trend continue because 2 games is a too small sample size but RJ being bad with Spurs could have been mainly because of not fitting with the team and not because of RJ aging.

Indeed. Which is why I was perplexed at many teams balking at buying him. He seems a better fit for transition teams which do not quite emphasise help defense and complicated pick & roll sets as the Spurs do. And I thought he could have been traded last season when his contract got extended as he was on an expiring and didn't fit well with the Spurs. Looked more in line to suit a team like the Suns or the Clippers or perhaps the previous Warriors.

His latest contract made him difficult to move but the previous one was not so bad.

DMC
03-20-2012, 01:21 AM
RJ is a fag, but so was Greg Louganis and he owned everyone except that platform that one time, oh and HIV.

G-Dawgg
03-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Way better production out of RJ his first game than Buckets had in his first game....

timtonymanu
03-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Way better production out of RJ his first game than Buckets had in his first game....

Oh please. Put RJ on Dirk last game and Dirk would have scored on his ass every possession.

chazley
03-20-2012, 01:36 AM

You obviously didn't watch the game. I don't know how many rebounds he got, but he pulled down a few impressive contested ones, and played above average RJ defense. His offense looked varied and very good. Every one knows that a one game +/- sample is stupid to look at - including you timvp. Disappointing you'd say something so noobish.

MI21
03-20-2012, 02:12 AM

Yeah that 2-14 in 36 minutes he threw up in his first game was way better than Jack going 2-4 in 15 minutes.

Spursfanfromafar
03-20-2012, 02:26 AM
And by the way... the Warrior fans are booing Joe Lacob for trading an one dimensional Allen Iverson- lite in Monta Ellis. Here comes an owner who is trying to turn things around (well...trading for jefferson is not any idea of turning around or maybe it is pun unintended) and they boo him on Chris Mullin's franchise day.

therealtruth
03-20-2012, 03:15 AM
And by the way... the Warrior fans are booing Joe Lacob for trading an one dimensional Allen Iverson- lite in Monta Ellis. Here comes an owner who is trying to turn things around (well...trading for jefferson is not any idea of turning around or maybe it is pun unintended) and they boo him on Chris Mullin's franchise day.

The fans haven't really seen Bogut healthy. When Bogut is healthy the fans will appreciate the trade.

Spursfanfromafar
03-20-2012, 03:40 AM
The fans haven't really seen Bogut healthy. When Bogut is healthy the fans will appreciate the trade.

Yes, I agree. I think the fans are being too short sighted, but I can't complain if their grouse is specifically with Jefferson's inclusion into the squad.

Bogut is a good player. In fact good enough to build around if he was in the Spurs after Duncan retired. Poor guy has been injured - not because of conditioning - but because of injuries suffered on court. Once he is fine and back on court, the Warriors will make some noise with him and Stephen Curry who is an excellent shooter and a decent backcourt player.

Trouble is that the Warriors fans seem to be disappointed with Monta Ellis' departure. He was a so-so player who was fun to watch on the offensive end, but thought himself to be Kobe and was a major reason for the Warriors' sucking - not to mention the hilarious coaching by Don Nelson.

Warriors' fans are stupid if they think current ownership is not good enough. Compared to their past - which is miserable - the current ownership's moves seem to be on the right track.

AusSpur
03-20-2012, 04:41 AM
What happened to the Jefferson alley oop play we used to do all the time last season?

Darkwaters
03-20-2012, 05:07 AM

In RJ's first game he was 2-14 from the field.

In his second game he was much better, but also played in the high 30's for minutes.

Jackson on the other hand played one game and only 17 minutes.

blkroadrunners
03-20-2012, 06:45 AM
He'll flame out and outdue his welcome. It's just a matter of time.

Harry Callahan
03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Jefferson had games where he knocked down threes and scored well, but as a player I take Jackson all day long. The Spurs have other players on the floor who make plays and should take shots. RJ was too satisfied chucking threes and playing half hearted defense here.

There is no pressure playing in Golden State. No expectations to perform under pressure. The team is being completely revamped and Monta Ellis is now gone. Somebody has to take shots and Jefferson decided he should.

I did not hear a lot of "Oh man I can't believe we traded RJ" quotes the last couple of days. I heard quotes about the ability and toughness of Jackson and how that improves the Spurs.

jag
03-20-2012, 07:49 AM
You obviously didn't watch the game. I don't know how many rebounds he got, but he pulled down a few impressive contested ones, and played above average RJ defense. His offense looked varied and very good. Every one knows that a one game +/- sample is stupid to look at - including you timvp. Disappointing you'd say something so noobish.

I definitely agree with this part. It was impressive watching him go to work 1-on-1. He was taking his man off the dribble, facing up, throwing up head-fakes, shooting turnaround j's, posting-up and showing athleticism I thought he had completely lost. I had genuinely forgotten how talented he was on offense. He wasn't MJ out there, but he was everything he should have been here. Truth be told, he played like this many times for the Spurs last season during November and December. After a good start he become complacent and/or lazy and was completely content to sit in the corner spotting up for 3.

The worst part of all is that it took a trade to light a fire under his ass, and only time will tell if he stays motivated.

I'm also not so sure it was the Spurs system that was hindering him because had more than enough opportunities to play "his type" of game but didn't take advantage.

jiggy_55
03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Lol but he's wearing #44 :p

Mugen
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
It was all mental with RJ. He just didn't have the balls to survive under the Big 3 and Pop. I really didn't think it was possible for his physical skills to diminish that much while he was here and his first couple of games with the Ws kinda prove that.

He was under utilized in the Spurs system and that's on much on Pop as it is RJ. That said, I'm thrilled he's gone and that we brought in a guy as mentally tough as Jack.

Latarian Milton
03-20-2012, 09:42 AM
jack is a great player to have any day of the week and he can make instant impact on his team as soon as he arrives like it takes him no time to fit in a total different system, dude's still energetic as fuck even at age 33 imho. doesn't mean he gives spurs any chance @ the championship but he's for sure a nice pickup for them

Agloco
03-20-2012, 10:40 AM

lol.....this wasn't his first game.

He shot 2-14 in his first.

loveforthegame
03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
I know the style the Warriors play is a much better fit for RJ but effort should fit in on any team.

Simply put RJ has put more effort into his first 2 GS games than he ever did here.

moisaenz
03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
19 points but they lost... jackson would have scored 25...

sandman
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
He'll flame out and outdue his welcome. It's just a matter of time.

I see what you did there...

SenorSpur
03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
RJ should've never been in a Spurs uniform to begin with. He simply doesn't have the style of play or mental toughness. It's too bad the Spurs couldn't have traded for Jack back in 2008, instead of RJ.

will_spurs
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
RJ being bad with Spurs could have been mainly because of not fitting with the team and not because of RJ aging.

Been saying just that all the time. He needs an up-tempo offense. People have short memories but when the Spurs were gunning in Nov-Dec '10, RJ was playing quite well. As soon as the game slows down, he disappears. And on top of that there was a clear mismatch between what Pop expected of him, and the kind of play he could excel in.

Right now even though the GSW front office doesn't look that smart for pretty much getting a first round pick for $12 million, remember it's always too early to say if a trade was good or not. Right now, given their need to tank, they were very smart to trade for a player out for season, and RJ, who is certainly not going to make a difference in a couple of months. As I think Stein (or Woj?) said on Twitter, SJax was likely to light up for 38 points during the one game getting the GSW out of the 7th bottom spot, and making them lose their draft pick in the process. Fans on GSW forums pretty much have a "tank watch" thread stickied.

Besides, there's still the down the road part to take into account, and there's no reason why RJ's expiring in 2014 won't be as useful as Sjax's expiring in 2013. Time will tell.

DMC
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Been saying just that all the time. He needs an up-tempo offense. People have short memories but when the Spurs were gunning in Nov-Dec '10, RJ was playing quite well. As soon as the game slows down, he disappears. And on top of that there was a clear mismatch between what Pop expected of him, and the kind of play he could excel in.

Right now even though the GSW front office doesn't look that smart for pretty much getting a first round pick for $12 million, remember it's always too early to say if a trade was good or not. Right now, given their need to tank, they were very smart to trade for a player out for season, and RJ, who is certainly not going to make a difference in a couple of months. As I think Stein (or Woj?) said on Twitter, SJax was likely to light up for 38 points during the one game getting the GSW out of the 7th bottom spot, and making them lose their draft pick in the process. Fans on GSW forums pretty much have a "tank watch" thread stickied.

Besides, there's still the down the road part to take into account, and there's no reason why RJ's expiring in 2014 won't be as useful as Sjax's expiring in 2013. Time will tell.

You're saying that the Warriors were smart to trade for a guy who would ensure they suck. Why not just bring him up from the D league?

will_spurs
03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
You're saying that the Warriors were smart to trade for a guy who would ensure they suck. Why not just bring him up from the D league?

The serious part of that comment was about Bogut. The part about RJ was more a joke. My point is, they did trades enabling them to tank quietly this year (swapping their top scorer for somebody who can't play this year, mostly), and be ready to go as of next season.

slick'81
03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
agreed is any surprised hes gonna drop 20 agame on a horrible squad

blkroadrunners
03-31-2012, 02:00 AM
20 min, 0 pts, 0-5 FG

What a POS.

Bruno
03-31-2012, 02:47 AM

We will see if this trend continue

Well it hasn't. After these 13 FTA in 67 minutes, RJ has 6 FTA in the next 200 minutes.

A little over 2 weeks after it, the RJ for Jack trade looks even better. Jack has been good for Spurs and the pick shouldn't be better than #27.

will_spurs
03-31-2012, 03:05 AM
It's probably better to wait until next season to assess this trade, when:
- we know who the pick is
- GS isn't in tanking mode any more
- SJax has had time to mull over an extension

Redshadows
03-31-2012, 03:12 AM
TBH, I feel sorry for both RJ and the Spurs. If the Spurs had not got him, RJ might not be this bad and the Spurs might be better.

chazley
03-31-2012, 04:43 AM
TBH, I feel sorry for both RJ and the Spurs. If the Spurs had not got him, RJ might not be this bad and the Spurs might be better.

Without the Spurs he probably ain't getting a massive contract extension either.

Thomas82
03-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Lol but he's wearing #44 :p

Right.......#24 is already retired for Rick Barry.

100%duncan
03-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Wow. Can't he get the fuck outta your minds?

therealtruth
03-31-2012, 07:51 PM

It was a bad deal from the start. Pop failed to transform him into the player he wanted. That's why I am not a big fan of trying to change established vets.