PDA

View Full Version : If we traded for Vince Carter instead of Jefferson in 09. Where would we be now?

Small Fundamental
03-20-2012, 12:46 AM
While I think the majority of Spurs fans had an opposing opinion back in 09 when we made the trade, I still think Vince Carter would have been the better choice.

Let me start off by acknowledging that Vince since 09 has not been the Vince Carter of old, and he's clearly not coming back. But one thing that's never left him is his confidence and no fear of the big moment attitude. Something that Richard Jefferson never showed during his days in a Spurs uniform. And those are the only two reasons I thought VC was the better option.

Of course we can't predict the future. And no one, not even me expected what we got out of RJ. You very rarely see a guy fall of the way he did with us. Averaging 20 ppg in a Bucks uniform, you'd knew his stats would go down with us. Of course they would when he's going to be deferring to his big 3 teammates. But who could have guessed his explosiveness and willingness to drive to the basket would be taken away from him too.

Either way, one thing that's never left Vince throughout his career is his ability to attack the basket, and put the ball through the hoop. Well he may not shoot the highest percentages, he's a lot like Stephen Jackson in that he's going to shoot you out of a lot of games, but can win you a lot of them too. And it in my opinion is not as bad as not trying. And not giving an effort.

So what say you Spurs fans? I myself don't think it makes any difference in terms of trophies. But I for sure think we would have gotten slightly closer to one with VC. Even if it's just a few more wins in the playoffs.

jesterbobman
03-20-2012, 01:01 AM
We wouldn't have Kawhi. George Hill was apparently the extra piece needed to get Carter, and then traded for Kawhi, Lorbek & Bertans. Question of Vince Carter, 09-11 vs Hill + Jefferson 09-11 is an easy choice for us, even with how much RJ sucked.

100%duncan
03-20-2012, 01:02 AM
worse

Spursfanfromafar
03-20-2012, 01:03 AM
If RJ was seen as non-clutch and a choker.. imagine Vince the ace choker Carter on the team.

Small Fundamental
03-20-2012, 01:08 AM
We wouldn't have Kawhi. George Hill was apparently the extra piece needed to get Carter, and then traded for Kawhi, Lorbek & Bertans. Question of Vince Carter, 09-11 vs Hill + Jefferson 09-11 is an easy choice for us, even with how much RJ sucked.Got this from an old article: "Spurs: They are contemplating whether Vince puts them over the top in the West, and the key component to any discussion would be Roger Mason ($3.5M) coming East. But the SA payroll is very top-heavy, so that makes it very complicated: They'd have to pile on some contracts to make it add up, and not even throwing in Bruce Bowen ($4.0) and Michael Finley ($2.5) would accomplish that. Still, at least one side believes some creative accounting can get it done (we doubt the Nets would also be able to land George Hill, a kid they like), though it would obviously involve a body count - probably with Bowen/Fin returning to the Alamo after the Nets cut them."

Assuming we were able to make the trade and keep George Hill, what would you say?

100%duncan
03-20-2012, 01:19 AM
sorry but rj>vince.. I know it's ewww

DMC
03-20-2012, 01:33 AM
We'd get better alley oops.

100%duncan
03-20-2012, 01:35 AM
We'd get better alley oops.
No we won't, 09 VC was old as fuck too

MI21
03-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Vince is fitting into Dallas quite well as a roleplayer. I'm not sure he would of been a big enough upgrade over RJ to make much of a difference these last 2 seasons though.

Proxy
03-20-2012, 02:33 AM
We would obviously have 2 more rings since VC is so fucking good at dunking

pgardn
03-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Our basic problem has been defense imo. And we once could rely on Duncan to get us out of almost any tough situation offensively. That slack has been partially filled by Parker, Ginobilli, and our ability to hit the 3. We could have clearly used another inside scorer, but the D...

Carter did not fill and does not fill either of those roles. Tiago with some creativity under the basket has helped. Blair helps in the 1st quarter, like to see him a few times in the 4th. The D partially filled by Tiago as we dont have to see Blair and Bonner together nearly as much.

One cannot say we did not give Jefferson a shot at fitting in. All those plays designed to give him dunks coming off a timeout did nothing to get effort defensively, to just get him in the game... Jackson wont require any alley-oops to give effort.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-20-2012, 07:20 AM
We also wouldn't have Jack, since he just now landed on the trade market, and VC's contract ended/was bought out before the season.

These things do not happen in a vacuum. You have to consider EVERYTHING else around the change that you are proposing. It's not just what if this player/not that player.

At this point we would have:

No VC - I guarantee you we would have bought him out faster than Phoenix did.

No Jack
No Kawhi

MmP
03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
But one thing that's never left him is his confidence and no fear of the big moment attitude.
lQ6lvChs7To
This must be, tbh, one the worst fails I've ever seen from a star player in a post season. You can almost see Vince failing in his eyes befere shooting.
Sorry but the quoted it's just not true.

MaNu4Tres
03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Spurs wouldn't have Leonard.

Nets demanded Hill to be included in the potential trade for Carter. Fortunately, Spurs were wise enough to say no.

Latarian Milton
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
ain't making much difference imho, VC was a big name but the 09' VC was way past his prime already. expectations for RJ was high and his slack performances disappointed alot of fans but at least the spurs didn't lose SHIT to get him, as opposed to what VC would've possibly cost

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
he needs to move up the offensive option, him being 4th behind the big 3 is not good, just look at rj, and when rj was playin with the bench, it was even worster