PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw Latest

jon123spurs
03-20-2012, 05:07 PM
There is "nothing new" in terms of Boris Diaw receiving a contract buyout from the Bobcats, according to beat writer Rick Bonnell. Diaw would have to be waived by Friday to be eligible for another team's postseason roster, but there have been no indications that the two sides are working toward that scenario. That could certainly change,but there is nothing new on that front at this time. Mar. 20 - 9:53 am et Source: Charlotte Observer
here is the link posted 7 hours ago. Hope they buy him out would be a great addition.
Here is the link http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=947&line=175675&spln=1

slick'81
03-20-2012, 05:11 PM
tic tic tic tic tic tic

SenorSpur
03-20-2012, 05:11 PM
With all the aminosity between the Bobtails and Diaw, it would not surprise me if they deliberately held onto him past the deadline, just to screw him over.

will_spurs
03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
With all the aminosity between the Bobtails and Diaw, it would not surprise me if they deliberately held onto him past the deadline, just to screw him over.

Could be. However they'd have to pay him in full for nothing. Not sure it's really worth losing $1-2 million out of spite.

E-RockWill
03-20-2012, 05:16 PM
It's not like there are any Ronnie Turiaf threads already open.

Thanks for the update...for reals...

anonoftheinternets
03-20-2012, 05:22 PM
well its only tuesday...

Gagnrath
03-20-2012, 07:37 PM
well its only tuesday...

Signing an NBA contract even a vet min one isn't exactly like signing up to buy a used car you want to have the contract read over by your agent and attorney on both sides and see about various other things included in the contract.

Russ
03-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Could be. However they'd have to pay him in full for nothing. Not sure it's really worth losing $1-2 million out of spite.

Is there any gap between the buyout deadline and the playoff roster deadline, or are they the same?

If so, Charlotte could "have it's cake" by buying out Diaw one minute before the deadline.

DMC
03-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Latest News: Nothing to report

Mel_13
03-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Is there any gap between the buyout deadline and the playoff roster deadline, or are they the same?

If so, Charlotte could "have it's cake" by buying out Diaw one minute before the deadline.

The player must be placed on waivers by the Friday deadline. He can be signed at any time after clearing waivers and still be eligible for the playoffs.

Mel_13
03-20-2012, 07:53 PM
One other thing. Charlotte doesn't play until Friday night, so there won't be much news from the local press. Hopefully Tony is getting the inside info.

Pauleta14
03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
In the french media, they're saying that Boris's agent and Charlotte can't find an agreement on the buyout.
The Bobcats FO knows that the Olympics are a big goal for Boris and that he can't afford to stay inactive for months.
Maybe they're just trying to lose as less money as they can in the buyout.

There probably won't be any news before friday...

lmbebo
03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Jordan probably wants him to forfeit his remaining salary. Greedy bastard. Diaw probably wants it all. Diaw would likely budge more than Jordan. Jordan is stubborn

Russ
03-20-2012, 08:53 PM
In the french media, they're saying that Boris's agent and Charlotte can't find an agreement on the byout.
The Bobcats FO knows that the Olympics are a big goal for Boris . . .

This is the one time that SA may have an advantage over other free agent destinations.

The Spurs could be the official pre-season workout base for the French national team.

Now, if they get Turiaf . . .

Wild Cobra Kai
03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Jordan probably wants him to forfeit his remaining salary. Greedy bastard. Diaw probably wants it all. Diaw would likely budge more than Jordan. Jordan is stubborn

I disagree. Diaw has the upper hand. There are two things that Charlotte doesn't want: Diaw on their roster and Diaw getting fully paid. If Boris waits it out, calling their bluff, he will probably get a pretty standard buyout of about 50%.

swaggerjackson
03-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Diaw is certainly my first pick but we might need to make a move on somebody. There is no guarentee that he is released. I wouldn't want to see Hickson and Turiaf get away if Diaw is not bought out. I am getting nervous.

ace3g
03-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Zack Lewallen ‏ @zllewallen

“@clocollins: According to BB's tweet, I think Boris Diaw has been bought out of his contract?” I'm thinking the same thing @BobcatsMartin

Caleb Collins ‏ @clocollins

According to BB's tweet, I think Boris Diaw has been bought out of his contract?

--

Trying to see whose tweet they are referring to

Bruno
03-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Trying to see whose tweet they are referring to

http://twitter.com/#!/bismackbiyombo0

The last good dinner with @theborisdiaw and @BlackMaamba12

Robz4000
03-20-2012, 09:53 PM
This could be it...

benefactor
03-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Hopefully this is it. Jordan needs to quit assing around and get this done.

timtonymanu
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Come on :hungry:

Leetonidas
03-20-2012, 10:09 PM
C'mon sons

loveforthegame
03-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Please let this be a good sign.

loveforthegame
03-20-2012, 10:18 PM
DP. Sorry. I'm dumb.

TD 21
03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm amazed at how many of you are concerned about this, as if there's any reason for it not to happen and any way he doesn't choose the Spurs. The Bobcats are notoriously cheap and this holdup is nothing more than a negotiating tactic, so that he takes less to go away. But as cheap as they are, they can't be so stupid and ignorant that they'd make their already terrible reputation worse over something so minor. It's going to happen and when it does, he's going to be a Spur.

monkeypunk
03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Is anyone concerned with some team in need picking him up off of waivers?

Spurs da champs
03-20-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm amazed at how many of you are concerned about this, as if there's any reason for it not to happen and any way he doesn't choose the Spurs. The Bobcats are notoriously cheap and this holdup is nothing more than a negotiating tactic, so that he takes less to go away. But as cheap as they are, they can't be so stupid and ignorant that they'd make their already terrible reputation worse over something so minor. It's going to happen and when it does, he's going to be a Spur.
Going by that "fuck the players" attitude by Michael Jordan during the lockout I wouldn't be surprised if doesn't get bought-out.

benefactor
03-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Once he is bought out he can sign with whoever he wants.

monkeypunk
03-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Right on, thanks!

Bruno
03-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Diaw will have to go through the waivers procedure if he is bought out but he won't be claimed by another NBA teams.

There are 5 teams (Raptors, Kings, Jazz, Nuggets and Lakers) with enough cap space or a trade exception big enough to claim him:
- Raptors won't make the playoffs and they are fine at the PF spot.
- Kings won't make the playoffs.
- Jazz are fine at the PF spot.
- Nuggets are fine at the PF spot.
- It will cost about $9M to the Lakers for claiming Diaw form waivers because of the luxury tax.

You can always imagine scenarios like Colangelo claiming Diaw just because he loves him or Utah adding him to play SF but they are unlikely. Diaw clearing waivers is a safe bet.

Kindergarten Cop
03-20-2012, 11:13 PM

I thought that they still had to clear waivers (48 hours) - as is the case with Derek Fisher. I know that no team will pick up Diaw's terrible contract though, so the point is moot.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-20-2012, 11:23 PM

They would have to eat his entire salary, needing a slot of about $9M to make it work. Not real likely. They buyout is only effective AFTER hr clears waivers.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Diaw will have to go through the waivers procedure if he is bought out but he won't be claimed by another NBA teams.

There are 5 teams (Raptors, Kings, Jazz, Nuggets and Lakers) with enough cap space or a trade exception big enough to claim him:
- It will cost about $9M to the Lakers for claiming Diaw form waivers because of the luxury tax.

You can always imagine scenarios like Colangelo claiming Diaw just because he loves him or Utah adding him to play SF but they are unlikely. Diaw clearing waivers is a safe bet.

You can't use a trade exception for anything but a trade. No FA signings, no waiver claims. Just trades.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Going by that "fuck the players" attitude by Michael Jordan during the lockout I wouldn't be surprised if doesn't get bought-out.

That's talk. His salary is $2M real money they will owe. MJ will cave.

Bruno
03-20-2012, 11:29 PM
You can't use a trade exception for anything but a trade. No FA signings, no waiver claims. Just trades.

You can:
https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q56

Hoops Czar
03-20-2012, 11:36 PM

And the Knicks???

Kindergarten Cop
03-20-2012, 11:38 PM
And the Knicks???

Knicks are way over the Luxury Tax threshold - let alone the Salary Cap.

They do not own a Trade Exception large enough to cover Diaw's salary, so the only chance they have at getting him is to wait for him to clear waivers.

monkeypunk
03-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Little off topic but what is the new cutoff date for playoff roster eligibility? All google tells me is March 1st...

TJastal
03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I disagree. Diaw has the upper hand. There are two things that Charlotte doesn't want: Diaw on their roster and Diaw getting fully paid. If Boris waits it out, calling their bluff, he will probably get a pretty standard buyout of about 50%.

What does Jordan care whether he's on the roster or not? He's in full tank mode.

And I suspect that Jordan won't budge much past 25% on the buyout amount, just because well, he's Jordan. Obviously with Jordan the standard doesn't apply.

Kindergarten Cop
03-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Little off topic but what is the new cutoff date for playoff roster eligibility? All google tells me is March 1st...

The player has to be waived by this Friday, March 23rd.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-20-2012, 11:48 PM

It's not really a roster eligability date, it's a date when they have to be waived by, and it's sometime on Friday. Once they clear waivers, they can literally sign any time after that.

FkLA
03-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Why are some of you guys so confident he ends up with the Spurs once hes bought out? Because of the French connection with Parker? I hope we land Diaw, but Turiaf is a frenchie as well and apparently hes leaning towards other teams. What makes Diaw so different, why is he pretty much a lock to come here ?

Kindergarten Cop
03-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Why are some of you guys so confident he ends up with the Spurs once hes bought out? Because of the French connection with Parker? I hope we land Diaw, but Turiaf is a frenchie as well and apparently hes leaning towards other teams. What makes Diaw so different, why is he pretty much a lock to come here ?

Parker and Diaw are best friends. Diaw was the Best Man at Tony's wedding also.

Tony has also commented publicly that he wants the Spurs to pursue Diaw.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-21-2012, 12:05 AM
What does Jordan care whether he's on the roster or not? He's in full tank mode.

And I suspect that Jordan won't budge much past 25% on the buyout amount, just because well, he's Jordan. Obviously with Jordan the standard doesn't apply.

They don't want him on the roster, because his slack is revelaing the fact that they ARE tanking, something they don't want to affect their youngsters.

He's also never getting a 25% buyout agreement from Diaw. Charlotte is essentially a poor franchise that operates on a shoestring, and the difference between a hard stance for 25% and getting stuck with Diaw at 100% is about a mil and a half they can't afford for a player they would love to cast off.

MR.SILVER&BLack
03-21-2012, 12:12 AM

this scares me. i can see the lakers picking him up just to block the spurs.

FkLA
03-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Parker and Diaw are best friends. Diaw was the Best Man at Tony's wedding also.

Tony has also commented publicly that he wants the Spurs to pursue Diaw.

I figured that with both being French theyd be friendly but didnt know that they were that close, thanks :tu

Hopefully Diaw is a Spur soon.

TJastal
03-21-2012, 12:20 AM
They don't want him on the roster, because his slack is revelaing the fact that they ARE tanking, something they don't want to affect their youngsters.

He's also never getting a 25% buyout agreement from Diaw. Charlotte is essentially a poor franchise that operates on a shoestring, and the difference between a hard stance for 25% and getting stuck with Diaw at 100% is about a mil and a half they can't afford for a player they would love to cast off.

You actually got a link backing those claims up?

If not, I will politely disagree. First off, I doubt the "youngsters" care one way or the other. Not like they were going to make the playoffs. I also don't think Jordan cares what people think either. Not like he's under any intense scrutiny by the league. If Diaw's "slacking" affects anyone, it will most likely be himself. Which is why the spurs should pass on him because the last thing they need is to get stuck with another copy of a soft slacker like Jefferson, especially after they finally just got rid of the original.

loveforthegame
03-21-2012, 01:11 AM
I can see the Lakers or Nuggets claiming him just to keep him from rivals.

Bruno
03-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Biyombo has erased his tweet on Diaw. :stirpot:

And it's not a given that if Diaw is bought out he will end up with Spurs but I like their odds...

I can see the Lakers or Nuggets claiming him just to keep him from rivals.

Unlike under the previous CBA, Lakers are now careful about the money they spend. They have even done some financial trades with Odom and Fisher. I don't see them at all spending $9M to get Diaw for a couple of months. They might be interested to sign him as a free agent given how weak their bench is.

Claiming Diaw from waivers will cost $2M to Denver and will consume a nice trade exception they have. That's a lot to give up just to avoid him to hit the free agent market while Nuggets are more a pretender than a contender.

If Diaw is bought out, it's at 99% sure the he will clear waivers.

Redshadows
03-21-2012, 03:06 AM
So Diaw could join the Spurs on Monday?

slick'81
03-21-2012, 03:09 AM
it shouldnt be a matter of if but when diaw is bought out

now just getting him to sa lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-21-2012, 05:16 AM
when players tell FO to persue players is just as stupid as BFF scouts telling you to draft this/that aka corey example.

TJastal
03-21-2012, 05:40 AM
it shouldnt be a matter of if but when diaw is bought out

now just getting him to sa lol

The packers should have won the super bowl last season, too. But they didn't.

The league can't force owners to buy out useless contracts just because some fan demands it.

Jordan doesn't have to do shit for anyone. And given his extremely fickle and eccentric nature, he probably won't.

benefactor
03-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that buyouts were different from simply waiving a player. I figured since they were buying out the contract that the player simply became a free agent.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-21-2012, 07:01 AM
The packers should have won the super bowl last season, too. But they didn't.

The league can't force owners to buy out useless contracts just because some fan demands it.

Jordan doesn't have to do shit for anyone. And given his extremely fickle and eccentric nature, he probably won't.

You keep acting like he's the sole owner, and not a managing partner of an ownership consortium. MJ has people to answer to that will easily elect someone else to the job if he defies their wishes or their budget. As piss poor and cheaply as that franchise had been run, you have to know that he's not really calling the shots, right?

Wild Cobra Kai
03-21-2012, 07:04 AM
You can:
https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q56

Thanks, Bruno. That actually makes sense, since the contract is conveyed directly from one team to another, sort of like a trade without any compensation.

Seventyniner
03-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Just imagine the meltdown when Diaw clears waivers and doesn't sign with the Spurs.

Kindergarten Cop
03-21-2012, 07:27 AM
this scares me. i can see the lakers picking him up just to block the spurs.

No offense to Diaw, but I don't see him as the type of player that the Lakers would view as being worth $18M this year (considering that they are over the Luxury Tax) just to keep him from going to the Spurs - especially considering the fiscal moves that they've made this year.

Now if Portland had a chance to do this to spite the Spurs, you might have a point. :lol

Spursfanfromafar
03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
No offense to Diaw, but I don't see him as the type of player that the Lakers would view as being worth $18M this year (considering that they are over the Luxury Tax) just to keep him from going to the Spurs - especially considering the fiscal moves that they've made this year.

Now if Portland had a chance to do this to spite the Spurs, you might have a point. :lol

moot point. Boris Diaw has worked out an in principle buyout.

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Just imagine the meltdown when Diaw clears waivers and doesn't sign with the Spurs.

I'm bracing myself for that as I don't remember any roster change that's ever been announced. All the roster changes seem to come as complete surprises.

Maybe the Spurs really had no interest in Diaw all along, and Parker only said that to raise his friend's stock :lol

will_spurs
03-21-2012, 07:31 AM

He was talking about clearing waivers.

bklynspursfan
03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Interestingly, both ESPN and CNNSI - John Hollinger and Zach Lowe - seem to think that Boston have the upper hand in trying to get Diaw.. How they continue the tradition of underestimating Tony Parker :)

They think any free agent big is going to Boston lol turiaf, Hickson, diaw now. I think there was 1 more but dont remember

Kindergarten Cop
03-21-2012, 07:33 AM

Actually it is not a moot point, because (as we've been discussing in this thread) even though they have agreed to a buyout, he still has to clear waivers. Bruno pointed out that there are a handful of teams that can claim him, if they choose. While we know that it is not even remotely likely, it is still possible.

Spursfanfromafar
03-21-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm bracing myself for that as I don't remember any roster change that's ever been announced. All the roster changes seem to come as complete surprises.

Maybe the Spurs really had no interest in Diaw all along, and Parker only said that to raise his friend's stock :lol

:lol True. No one in this board expected Jackson coming back or Patty Mills of all PGs.

But both moves were sensible and I think the Spurs will be senseless if they don't pick up Diaw with their thin big rotation.

Spursfanfromafar
03-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Actually it is not a moot point, because (as we've been discussing in this thread) even though they have agreed to a buyout, he still has to clear waivers. Bruno pointed out that there are a handful of teams that can claim him, if they choose. While we know that it is not even remotely likely, it is still possible.

My bad. You are right.

Kindergarten Cop
03-21-2012, 07:37 AM
My bad. You are right.

:toast

TJastal
03-21-2012, 08:07 AM
You keep acting like he's the sole owner, and not a managing partner of an ownership consortium. MJ has people to answer to that will easily elect someone else to the job if he defies their wishes or their budget. As piss poor and cheaply as that franchise had been run, you have to know that he's not really calling the shots, right?

Bullshit. Who are these other people you refer to? He's the majority owner of the bobcats. Therefore he ultimately calls the shots. Do you know what the term "majority" means?