PDA

View Full Version : Texas state senator’s office firebombed

RandomGuy
03-21-2012, 08:38 AM
.Report: Texas state senator’s office firebombed
By Christopher Bedford -

Texas State Sen. Wendy Davis’ office was firebombed with at least one Molotov cocktail on Tuesday, causing no injuries, the Star-Telegram reported.

Police in Fort Worth, Texas, are searching for the arson suspect, who escaped despite being chased by a maintenance man who witnessed the attack. Police suspect the attacker of throwing as many as two of the firebombs into the Democrat’s third-floor office, the Star-Telegram reports.

While no damage is reported to the office, the attack damaged the doorway.

The Star-Telegram reported that Davis’ communications director, Anthony Spangler, “said that a staffer heard a large thud at the door and was met at the door by waist-high flames. One staffer escaped the fire while the other put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.”

Davis was not in the office at the time of the attack.

---------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/report-texas-state-senator-office-firebombed-012030564.html

scott
03-21-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm familiar with Davis only because she has been friendly to craft beer legislation in the past (Rahr Brewing Co is her district). I know she is in a bit of a dog fight, but this is a little overboard.

boutons_deux
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
ok, felony arson is just a "little" overboard, no problem

scott
03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
ok, felony arson is just a "little" overboard, no problem

You suck at facetiousness almost as much as original thought.

boutons_deux
03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Arrest Made In Firebombing Of Planned Parenthood Supporter’s Office

Fort Worth, Texas fire officials announced today that they have made an arrest in yesterday’s firebombing of Texas State Senator’s Sen. Wendy Davis’ (D) office. Davis, who joined the Senate in 2009, is an outspoken supporter of Planned Parenthood and other progressive causes, although officials have cautioned that they do not yet have a clear motive for the attack.

According to fire officials, two Molotov cocktails were thrown into Davis’ Fort Worth office just after 4 p.m. yesterday. Two staffers were in the office and extinguished the fire. Nobody was hurt and Davis was not in the office at the time of the attack.

The firebombing came just a week after Texas announced it would block Planned Parenthood clinics from enrolling in the Texas Women’s Health Program, which extends Medicaid coverage for reproductive services to certain lower-income women.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/03/21/449217/arrest-made-in-firebombing-of-planned-parenthood-supporters-office/

so maybe we'll find out the reason for a "little" firebombing.

RandomGuy
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
officials have cautioned that they do not yet have a clear motive for the attack.

Sigh.

It seems obvious what thinkprogress thinks that motive is.

I wish I could say that I think they got it wrong, as biased as that would seem to be.

Few things are as contentious as the abortion issue.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
You biased? You don't say.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Pretty convenient they left off "homeless"

Winehole23
03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
convenient how?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Really???

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:22 PM
lol thinkprogress. :facepalm.

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Arrest-made-in--143647366.html

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Pretty convenient they left off "homeless"

Or that he spoke of aliens when they arrested him

Orrrrrrr, that he brought a dead animal with him to show the Senator and tell her it was a new species. :lmao

Yes, the motive is clearly not known.

Winehole23
03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Really???does having a lot of time on your hands and no fixed residence make you more likely to firebomb politicians?

Viva Las Espuelas
lol "think""progress". :facepalm.

Fixed

Spurminator
Why wait for the actual motive to come out when the speculation is always so much more juicy than reality? TP has to sell impressions somehow.

Winehole23
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
true

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2012/03/homeless_man_arrested_for_molo.php

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:29 PM
does having a lot of time on your hands and no fixed residence make you more likely to firebomb politicians?

Sure. Whatever you say

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Too bad he's black :lol

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Sigh.

It seems obvious what thinkprogress thinks that motive is.

I wish I could say that I think they got it wrong, as biased as that would seem to be.

Few things are as contentious as the abortion issue.

You probably should wish that you could reign in the occasional bout of confirmation bias that seems to trouble you.

Winehole23
03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
leaving out that the man is homeless seems trivial; leaving out that he is crazy (if true), and had a prior history with the rep, would seem to betray haste, laziness or bias.

RandomGuy
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
You biased? You don't say.

(shrugs)

I don't pretend I have no bias at all. In the total vacuum of information, one simply has to guess or go for reasonable possibilities.

Given it is a Democrat, it is entirely reasonable that some issue that someone with a reason to hate Democrats and felt strongly about. Abortion stances tend to fit that bill.

The fact that the guy was just crazy is another constant possibility, and appears to be the case here. If I had been a bit less lazy I would have said as much. mea culpa.

We probably had similar discussions when Giffords was shot. Nothing new.

baseline bum
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I expected a way more professional assassination attempt from the VRWC tbh.

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
"(shrugs)

I don't pretend I have no bias at all. In the total vacuum of information, one simply has to guess or go for reasonable possibilities.

Given it is a Democrat, it is entirely reasonable that some issue that someone with a reason to hate Democrats and felt strongly about. Abortion stances tend to fit that bill.

The fact that the guy was just crazy is another constant possibility, and appears to be the case here. If I had been a bit less lazy I would have said as much. mea culpa.

We probably had similar discussions when Giffords was shot. Nothing new."

Or maybe one simply has to wait for the information before passing judgment. Just a thought.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
First the GOP, now homeless are waging a war on women!!!!!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Hush. I'm waging a war on RG.

RandomGuy
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
You probably should wish that you could reign in the occasional bout of confirmation bias that seems to trouble you.

I already do, no "should" about it.

I will never pretend to be perfect in anything. Hell, you and WH are good at catching me when I am not. :toast

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
For the lazy ones........
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/20/3824423/wendy-davis-fort-worth-office.html

And this one came out waaaaaaay before "think" "progress"'s piece. Pun intended.

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
I already do, no "should" about it.

I will never pretend to be perfect in anything. Hell, you and WH are good at catching me when I am not. :toast

:lol Relax. I ain't watchin'.:toast

RandomGuy
03-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Or maybe one simply has to wait for the information before passing judgment. Just a thought.

Where is the fun in that?

You do know this is the internet right? The same place where 9-11 and moon landing conspiracy theories just won't die? :lol

I saw the first 9-11 conspiracy theory a few short months after the event itself, and was surprised it took that long to take hold.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-21-2012, 01:40 PM
(shrugs)

Congrats on your B girl :toast

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Where is the fun in that?

You do know this is the internet right? The same place where 9-11 and moon landing conspiracy theories just won't die? :lol

I saw the first 9-11 conspiracy theory a few short months after the event itself, and was surprised it took that long to take hold.

You are completely correct. Who am I to damn the grist that fuels this place?:lol:lol:rollin

RandomGuy
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
For the lazy ones........
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/20/3824423/wendy-davis-fort-worth-office.html

And this one came out waaaaaaay before "think" "progress"'s piece. Pun intended.

Coolness. Thanks.

I really didn't look at the date of the article in the OP, but should have. I stand corrected.

FORT WORTH — A 40-year-old homeless man who spoke of aliens and twice visited state Sen. Wendy Davis' offices demanding to see her returned Tuesday and tossed a paper bag filled with six Molotov cocktails against the outer door, sparking a small fire, police said Wednesday.

RandomGuy
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Congrats on your B girl :toast

???

Yonivore
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
We did and the perception that Loughner was somehow motivated by political ideology persists.

boutons_deux
03-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Pro-lifers have a history of terminating the lives of pro-choicers.

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
You have a history of being completely clueless.:lol

z0sa
03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
was the office number 1408?

diego
03-21-2012, 05:52 PM
so just because a crazy homeless guy is arrested he's automatically guilty, and thus there is no political connection to this crime? And you guys are talking facts and bias??! :wow

on a purely speculative note, what is it with all these crazies randomly using guns and bombs to attack democrats? Maybe i missed the last time a republican politician got bombed or shot at, but were the mentally ill behind it? just curious.

Facts
03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
We did and the perception that Loughner was somehow motivated by political ideology persists.

And you are...?

I don't think you and I are acquainted.

Yonivore
03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
And you are...?

I don't think you and I are acquainted.
Stick around.

TeyshaBlue
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
so just because a crazy homeless guy is arrested he's automatically guilty, and thus there is no political connection to this crime? And you guys are talking facts and bias??! :wow

on a purely speculative note, what is it with all these crazies randomly using guns and bombs to attack democrats? Maybe i missed the last time a republican politician got bombed or shot at, but were the mentally ill behind it? just curious.

No. You aren't.

lol @ speculative note.

DarrinS
03-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Arrest Made In Firebombing Of Planned Parenthood Supporter’s Office

Fort Worth, Texas fire officials announced today that they have made an arrest in yesterday’s firebombing of Texas State Senator’s Sen. Wendy Davis’ (D) office. Davis, who joined the Senate in 2009, is an outspoken supporter of Planned Parenthood and other progressive causes, although officials have cautioned that they do not yet have a clear motive for the attack.

According to fire officials, two Molotov cocktails were thrown into Davis’ Fort Worth office just after 4 p.m. yesterday. Two staffers were in the office and extinguished the fire. Nobody was hurt and Davis was not in the office at the time of the attack.

The firebombing came just a week after Texas announced it would block Planned Parenthood clinics from enrolling in the Texas Women’s Health Program, which extends Medicaid coverage for reproductive services to certain lower-income women.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/03/21/449217/arrest-made-in-firebombing-of-planned-parenthood-supporters-office/

so maybe we'll find out the reason for a "little" firebombing.

:lmao

Fail

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2012/03/homeless_man_arrested_for_molo.php

DarrinS
03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Pro-lifers have a history of terminating the lives of pro-choicers.

Nah, too easy.

diego
03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
No. You aren't.

lol @ speculative note.

so I take it it's a common thing for crazy homeless people to throw molotov cocktails randomly at buildings, and it is only bizarre circumstance that when it does happen to politicians they randomly happen to be pro-choice?

You know, after thinking about it I have a theory. Maybe it doesnt happen to republicans because they have their offices higher up in the building?? :toast