PDA

View Full Version : When Bowen Scores 9 or more...

bigbendbruisebrother
06-20-2005, 08:02 PM
When Bruce Bowen scores 9 or more the Spurs are 35-8 this season (including 4-2 in the playoffs).

(Source: Roland Beech, 82games.com)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2005, 08:04 PM
So, maybe we need to get Bowen 20 touches a game :lol

1Parker1
06-20-2005, 08:05 PM
:lol That is kind of a sad stat in a way. Normally it's like, when X player scores 20+ points Spurs win. All Bowen needs to do is score at least 9 pts...It's amazing what a difference a few extra points can make.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-20-2005, 08:16 PM
It's amazing what a difference a few extra points can make.

When you consider the kinds of droughts this team is capable of, that's true.

The interesting thing to me is that if we had a scoring SF, who would opposing teams cheat off of to double on Tim? Last night, all of Bowen's points came when Hamilton would sag a bit to try to bother Tim in the high post.

1Parker1
06-20-2005, 08:45 PM
When you consider the kinds of droughts this team is capable of, that's true.

The interesting thing to me is that if we had a scoring SF, who would opposing teams cheat off of to double on Tim? Last night, all of Bowen's points came when Hamilton would sag a bit to try to bother Tim in the high post.

I'd rather have Bowen then a scoring SF any day. With Duncan, Manu, Parker and then our bench we have enough scorers. What Bowen does on the defensive end is absolutely priceless to this team. You know, before this playoff run this year, I never thought for a second about what Bruce Bowen does out there night after night. After making it a point to watch him against Carmelo, Allen, Marion, and Hamilton, Bruce Bowen is quickly becoming my second favorite Spur.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-20-2005, 10:20 PM
I'd rather have Bowen then a scoring SF any day. With Duncan, Manu, Parker and then our bench we have enough scorers. What Bowen does on the defensive end is absolutely priceless to this team. You know, before this playoff run this year, I never thought for a second about what Bruce Bowen does out there night after night. After making it a point to watch him against Carmelo, Allen, Marion, and Hamilton, Bruce Bowen is quickly becoming my second favorite Spur.

I agree with you. I hope Bowen has a few more years left in him, and I hope he retires a Spur. I'm not saying we should dump him. But as much as I like Bruce and appreciate what he means to this team, SF is the only negative +/- position the Spurs have--the only position where we give up overall points to the opponent's SF. I realize that this is largely because Pop likes to try to funnel the other team's offense through one or two guys and uses Bruce to shut down key scorers. I'm just saying, when he contributes on both ends--when he takes those wide open shots or penetrates instead of automatically reposting or passing things up--the Spurs are pretty unstoppable.

I like this stat because I think it shows that when Bowen retires or has his minutes reduced as he ages, this team has room to grow offensively--at the small forward. There will be a silver (and black) lining when Bowen fades.

Regardless, if I had to pick one Spur for finals MVP right now, it would be Bruce Bowen because he's the only Spur who has performed to expectations each and ever game this series.

timvp
06-20-2005, 10:21 PM
When Bruce Bowen scores 9 or more the Spurs are 35-8 this season (including 4-2 in the playoffs).

(Source: Roland Beech, 82games.com)

Whotttt has been outed. I always knew he was a beech :)

bigbendbruisebrother
06-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Whotttt has been outed. I always knew he was a beech :)

:lol

bigbendbruisebrother
06-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Q: How important was Bruce Bowen last night switching off from Richard Hamilton to Chauncey Billups down the stretch in Game 5?
POPOVICH: Bruce sets such a tone for us by doing what he does night after night after night. Last night we asked him to do something that was a little different down the stretch, and I think that he responded very well. It is really important for us to have that individual on the team. He knows what his strengths are and he sticks with them. He doesn’t get paranoid about the things that he doesn’t do. We call zero plays for him. I think that the last time we called a play for him was a couple years ago. Most players can’t handle that you have to at least throw them a bone. He has had no bones.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19349