PDA

View Full Version : Back-to-back-to-back: If you were Pop...

Kuestmaster
03-22-2012, 08:17 AM
How you'd handle it?

I think it's clear that Tim and Manu won't play the three games, so if you have to rest them in one, when you'd do it?

If Parker is good to go by Friday's game I'd play all of them against the mavs, rest them, including Parker, against New Orleans, maybe even letting the Big Three stay in San Antonio and don't travel to the Big E. And then play all of them against the Sixers.

What would you do?

Mel_13
03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
How you'd handle it?

I think it's clear that Tim and Manu won't play the three games, so if you have to rest them in one, when you'd do it?

If Parker is good to go by Friday's game I'd play all of them against the mavs, rest them, including Parker, against New Orleans, maybe even letting the Big Three stay in San Antonio and don't travel to the Big E. And then play all of them against the Sixers.

What would you do?

That's the most likely scenario.

Hold the Big 3 out of the road game.

100%duncan
03-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Go full speed, because I wanna kick the Mavs' ass. I mean, it's on baby. Let the big 3 sit the NO and maybe let TP sit against Sixers if he's not yet fully healed.

Latarian Milton
03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
if the spurs only win one game of the three it must be the one against them mavs. spurs will pull out full strength against them mavs and the game will be a great entertainment definitely, as neither team would ever want to get asskicked by their bitter rival tbh

Dex
03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Personally, I would say that Manu has had plenty of time to rest so far this season, so I would say hold out Tim and maybe Tony against New Orleans.

Apparently though, Pop doesn't want to play Manu on back to backs either. So all three may sit out.

If Tony is healthy (i.e. hamstring isn't too bad), he may play the B2B2B, but he's already had to carry the load all season, so one game may not be worth the risk.

The good thing is, now that we have Captain Jack back, hopefully he can help be a main source of scoring in games where any members of the Big Three are out....something that you could never count on RJ to do.

Bruno
03-22-2012, 12:50 PM
It's more than a b2b2b, it's 5 games in 6 days. The b2b2b (DAL, @NOH, PHI) is followed by a b2b on the road (@PHX, @SAC).

For example, pop could decide to fully play the b2b2b, especially if some games are easily won or lost, and then tank the games against Suns.

hater
03-22-2012, 12:55 PM
can we forfeit a couple of games? I mean not even bother to fly out there?

I think we have 2 b2b2b left. I'd forfeit one each. problem solved

Gagnrath
03-22-2012, 01:04 PM
I say the away game, We see Tiago, Diaw, Bonner, Blair, Mills, Green, Neal, Jackson, Leonard, Eric Dawson can come to as the trillion.

GSH
03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
That's the most likely scenario.

Hold the Big 3 out of the road game.

I thought so, too. But no news today on Tony makes me think he may be sitting against Dallas, no matter what. I think it's better to rest them all than split them. If he holds them out against Dallas, they get some extra rest now, and then it's just two b2b's with a day off in between. And all four of the games in the b2b's are the kind where the Spurs could get enough of a lead to give the Big 3 some second half rest.

I know a lot of people won't like it, but I'd sit the Big 3 against Dallas, and just play normal in the next four games. Count on having Jackson, and so not needing to play Manu big minutes on the second nights - but not plan on sitting him totally on those second nights.

hater
03-22-2012, 01:07 PM
disagree. tomorrow's game TP or not is a good test and home game. all should play.

Texas_Ranger
03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Rest the players against NO, other games play with full power. Only Manu will need to rest against SAC.

Ddm5
03-22-2012, 01:20 PM
We talk about resting the big 3 a lot but what about the other guys? Sure some don't play as much but with the shortened season, they should be considered for a night off too. I know they are young but it wouldn't hurt to give guys like Tiago or Blair a night to rest up as well.

ffadicted
03-22-2012, 01:35 PM
I agree with playing everybody with the mavs, take the B team/young guns/jackson to NO for a good development game and leave the big 3 behind, and then play them all against against the Sixers.

Not only does that work to give rest in between, but also works to play our best lineups against the two good teams, and let the newer guys get a lot of floor time against the shitty team.

spectator
03-22-2012, 02:08 PM
imo, the game that would be tanked is vs. PHI; that way the starters can have 2 days of rest before another b2b. also, winning @ NO improves the division record (in the unlikely case of a tie-breaker situation)

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2012, 02:09 PM
From a strategic standpoint, the most important game in this set is the Friday game against Dallas. Win that one, and the Spurs will tie the season series with the Mavs and get another win in the division (important as the second tiebreaker).

For the same reason, the game against NO is probably the second most important because it is also a division game and winning that goes a long way toward clinching the second tiebreaker with Dallas (the Spurs already hold the tiebreaker with Memphis).

I'd be inclined to treat Friday and Saturday like a normal back-to-back and then use whatever is available on Sunday and take what you can -- likely, little -- out of that game against Philadelphia.

Edit: Um, yeah, what spectator said . . . .

Ditty
03-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Mavs: Play everyone except Parker if he isn't 100 percent.
Hornets: Rest Manu and Jackson...We need Tim for Hornets big man, Hopefully Parker will be back, don't want to risk injury to Jackson especially with the hamstring.
Sixers: Rest Tim and Tony...Spurs team is more confident at home.

If we do this I think we will be fine.

spursfanincolorado
03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Play everyone who isn't legitimately injured a conservative amount of minutes. That way the core group can still have chemistry and the bench can get ample minutes. In this condensed season, you can't always tank games cuz it can bite you later in tie breaking scenarios.

The players get paid millions of dollars or close to it to be prepared, we aren't the only team to have a bunch of games in a week...

Mel_13
03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Play everyone who isn't legitimately injured a conservative amount of minutes. That way the core group can still have chemistry and the bench can get ample minutes. In this condensed season, you can't always tank games cuz it can bite you later in tie breaking scenarios.

The players get paid millions of dollars or close to it to be prepared, we aren't the only team to have a bunch of games in a week...

Or the only to rest players during those stretches...

Nathan Explosion
03-22-2012, 03:09 PM
In this condensed season, you can't always tank games cuz it can bite you later in tie breaking scenarios.

In this condensed season, playoff positioning isn't that important. Just ask every coach in the league. What's important is just making it to the second season.

The last time the league played a shortened season, an 8 seed made the Finals.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
The first game is crucial, go all out to win game one.

Game three is against Philadelphia, and the76ers NEVER win in SA. So game three should be in the bag no matter what.

I say go all out against hornets for that reason. Win or lose against mavs, play like crazy against hornets, and take game three easy since Philly never wins in SA

therealtruth
03-22-2012, 03:38 PM
In this condensed season, playoff positioning isn't that important. Just ask every coach in the league. What's important is just making it to the second season.

Those Knicks weren't an ordinary eight seed.

therealtruth
03-22-2012, 03:39 PM

It's a dangerous game because you're trying to develop chemistry and consistency before the playoffs. Tanking games tends to destroy that. Remember what happened after the Trailblazers game and allstar break and what happened when Duncan missed games last year.

benefactor
03-22-2012, 03:48 PM
I agree with FWD about winning the two division games. Get those and rest the third.

sa_butta
03-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Have to go full strength against the Mavs if possible (TP). For NO limited minutes to the big three. Then rest the big three for the final against the 76ers.

Strategic
03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't like the idea of resting all three leaders in the second game, that may cause problems for the rest of the team. I wouldn't want anyone thinking that their playing in a "give away" game again. I would suggest resting TD and Manu in the second game, and then Tony and probably Splitter or Jax in the third. Winning the West doesn't matter to me at all, but I don't want to see LA or Dallas creep up on us. Being able to rest players the last two or three games of the season will be extremely important! Go Spurs!

:whine

spursfanincolorado
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM

Very good point -

I feel that seeding is somewhat important since it can make the difference between home court or not.

I think Dallas and the Hornets we need to win, the other non divisional ones we try our best regardless...

The 4th thru 8th seed is only the difference of a few games between them.

It will be interesting to see whom we match up with...

therealtruth
03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
The games that really matter are the ones against potential Western conference playoff opponents. If you can't beat them now you probably can't beat them in the playoffs. Even if you lose the game you see stuff you can work on and improve. From last year we could see the Grizzlies would give us trouble in a playoff series.

Keepin' it real
03-22-2012, 05:33 PM
"You play to win the game!" -- Herm Edwards

So put your best players on the court. Besides, the Spurs haven't clinched anything yet, and resting players has led to ZERO titles in the past four years, so that "strategy" clearly hasn't worked.

:flag:

bklynspursfan
03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
If I'm Pop I play Timmy Fri/Sat and give him off Sun. This way he is off 2 days and then can play Phoenix and Sacramento.

I think TP should sit Friday and play both games Sat/Sunday and then play Phoenix/Sacramento. (I think we can beat Dallas without him anyway at home)

Manu, I have no idea. He's had the most rest of anyone thus far. If anything, I think maybe have him sit out Saturday so he can play against Philly/Dallas.

Those are my 2 cents on the big 3's play this weekend.

bklynspursfan
03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Have to go full strength against the Mavs if possible (TP). For NO limited minutes to the big three. Then rest the big three for the final against the 76ers.

Hard to rest them with no backup PG, no Backup Big men with Bonner out. Unless Dawson is going to get big minutes and Mills is ready to go which I doubt

sa_butta
03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Hard to rest them with no backup PG, no Backup Big men with Bonner out. Unless Dawson is going to get big minutes and Mills is ready to go which I doubt
As far as PG, I would say this is depending if Mills is ready to go by Sunday for 76ers. If not then I say rest TP and let Ginobili play limited against NO and 76ers with Gary Neal helping out. As for Big men you would have Splitter, Blair and Dawson with some time against NO and 76ers. And who knows Bonner may be ready to go by Sunday.

bigbendbruisebrother
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Rest Tony and Matt against Dallas. Rest Manu, Tim and Tony versus New Orleans. Presuming Tony's good by Sunday, everybody goes against Philly.

The wildcard is Jackson. He needs heavy burn to get fit, but he's coming off an injury as well, and it would suck with a capital schlurp to have him re-injure his hammy just as he's getting in shape.

PS Sign a backup point guard. Sign another big.

Facts
03-22-2012, 07:02 PM
If I were Pop, I would not be hanging out here on a message board.

I would however, hire someone to post for me, bribe Kori to let him have the name Kobe Bryant, and tell that someone to generally act like an idiot who can't spell.

I would then drink some wonderful chablis.

100%duncan
03-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I thought so, too. But no news today on Tony makes me think he may be sitting against Dallas, no matter what. I think it's better to rest them all than split them. If he holds them out against Dallas, they get some extra rest now, and then it's just two b2b's with a day off in between. And all four of the games in the b2b's are the kind where the Spurs could get enough of a lead to give the Big 3 some second half rest.

I know a lot of people won't like it, but I'd sit the Big 3 against Dallas, and just play normal in the next four games. Count on having Jackson, and so not needing to play Manu big minutes on the second nights - but not plan on sitting him totally on those second nights.

TBH, tomorrow is one of the most important games of the season. That's the game we should win. I could care less about the NO and Sixers

jhuan16
03-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Let Tim and Manu play all three games, Phoenix and Sacramento will be a blowout game so they'll get plenty of rest. Not sure about Parker, I guess it'll depend on his condition hope he can make it to the Dallas game.

Seventyniner
03-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Absolutely tank the middle game, and play everyone normal minutes against Dallas and Philly. Playing the Hornets doesn't get you ready for the playoffs. Playing a division leader (even at home) does.

maverick1948
03-23-2012, 01:54 AM
We need to go 16-6 for the last 22. In doing this, only two team behind us can touch our season record. Memphis would have to go 21-0 and the Lakers woud have to go 17-2 over the rest of their season. I think we need to win 2 of the 3 games over this BBB. Dallas presents an opportunity to gain traction for the division crown. A win over the Mav's gives us an easier route to the division title. The way I see it, if Haywood is out, we go for the game with TD, Manu and TP(if healthy), should play big minutes against Dallas.

Against New Orleans, TD starts with Manu. Once we establish the dominance over the Hornets, turn the game over to the bench. Limit TD's minutes to no more than 20. Manu plays backup PG. TP rests.

Against Philly, all 3 play. Manu gets few minutes. TP and TD run the show. Since we beat them they are 8-13. We took them down a notch for the rest of the league. I wasnt sold on them as a team then and my opinion of the their team hasnt changed. We can beat them.

Needing 2 of the 3, I say New Orleans and Philly are the most important 2. We know we should handle NOLA without any problem and Philly should go down as well. Dallas to me is the least important as they are the team in the must win situation and not us. Every game for the next 8 teams behind us and the Lakers is a must win for them to remain in the hunt for the playoffs. Utah is only 1 1/2 games back of Dallas for the 4 seed. Phoenix, Minny and Portland would need a little help but they are close to the 8th seed. So every game is important to the Mavs.

With that said, I am hoping we get all 3.

Spurs da champs
03-23-2012, 02:00 AM
TBH, tomorrow is one of the most important games of the season. That's the game we should win. I could care less about the NO and Sixers

Agreed, NO's game can be won BIG 3 being rested & Philly he'd probably play them in that one since it's a home game.

mudyez
03-23-2012, 04:24 AM
play all in dallas
play neither or only manu in NO (I feel like we could beat them just with Manu)
play all in philly

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
NOH N PHILLY u play the guys at the end of the bench, no point trying to prove something against scrub teams

100%duncan
03-23-2012, 05:10 AM
I'd be so angry if Pop doesn't do full speed tomorrow unless TP is still injured, which I hope not.

Horse
03-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Agreed, NO's game can be won BIG 3 being rested & Philly he'd probably play them in that one since it's a home game.
True but the new orleans game means more, philly game means nothing. Conference and division records come in to play.

maverick1948
03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Pop has made his decision. No Tiago, no Tony against the Mav's. Without Tiago, Duncan will see a lot minutes. I guess Bonner will play as that was not a sure thing either. That means more minutes for Blair and Dawson. Maybe even see a little of Jackson against Dirk.

TJastal
03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Pop has made his decision. No Tiago, no Tony against the Mav's. Without Tiago, Duncan will see a lot minutes. I guess Bonner will play as that was not a sure thing either. That means more minutes for Blair and Dawson. Maybe even see a little of Jackson against Dirk.

Spurs are gonna get butt raped in the paint.

ajballer4
03-23-2012, 01:01 PM
It really all depends on when Mills and Diaw get suited up. Then you make the decision on whos playing

bklynspursfan
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
If I'm Pop I play Timmy Fri/Sat and give him off Sun. This way he is off 2 days and then can play Phoenix and Sacramento.

I think TP should sit Friday and play both games Sat/Sunday and then play Phoenix/Sacramento. (I think we can beat Dallas without him anyway at home)

Manu, I have no idea. He's had the most rest of anyone thus far. If anything, I think maybe have him sit out Saturday so he can play against Philly/Dallas.

Those are my 2 cents on the big 3's play this weekend.

I feel so proud. I actually predicted what :pop: was going to do. :downspin: :lol