PDA

View Full Version : Injury Thread: Tony Parker (hamstring) and Tiago Splitter (back spasms) out tonight

timvp
03-23-2012, 11:03 AM
:pctoss

Hopefully they will be okay.

Of course, Matt Bonner is probable.

Cane
03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Bad news for Roddy and Jkidd tbh :downspin:

timtonymanu
03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Duncan, Blair, and Dawson as the only bigs. Yuck!

I don't see how we win this without Tony. Small ball is no brainer today. Gonna need big games out of Jack, Leonard, Green, and Manu tonight.

celldweller
This is just getting ridiculous! :rolleyes

Fpoonsie
Well...fuck.

manufan10
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Might as well rest Tim and Manu tonight too.. don't want them getting hurt.

ace3g
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Patty Mills better get his visa today and Diaw better clear waivers as well...

cheguevara
03-23-2012, 11:11 AM
This is just getting ridiculous! :rolleyes

"is just getting"???

loveforthegame
03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Wonderful.

timvp
03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Hopefully "back spasms" is just code for Pop giving a player a night off. Otherwise, Splitter's injury-prone ways are already getting pretty annoying.

xellos88330
03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
^ I think it is.

ace3g
03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN

Close

In past 10 minutes, Spurs have upgraded Splitter to doubtful for tonight. At this rate, he'll be 100% by tip

manufan10
03-23-2012, 11:16 AM
^ Just saw that also.

timvp
03-23-2012, 11:20 AM
With this condensed schedule, Pop isn't going to play Splitter if he's legitimately doubtful due to back spasms.

Mugen
03-23-2012, 11:24 AM
it's pretty funny when the most durable guys on your team are a 35 year old with bad knees and a chubby forward with no ACLs. (knock on wood)

timvp
03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
If you want to ":stirpot:", you can believe that Pop's thinking is the best way to win today and tomorrow is to use Duncan against the Mavs and a rested Splitter against the Hornets. It makes pretty good sense.

But the problem with that is Pop isn't one to invent injuries for no reason. If he wanted to rest Splitter, he'd just say Splitter isn't playing tonight.

Dex
03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
"Back spasms" the new "flu-like systems"?

Well, at least its better than "Old Age".

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Parker has his lowest FG% against the Mavs, of all teams in the NBA right now.

I'm more concerned with Tiago missing the game. With 3 games in 3 nights I really believe Pop is just being cautious.

Sucks about Bonner being probable.

Strategic
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
These guys have played one game in the last five days. My fat ass gets spasms when I sit around that long too. haha

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not my money and he's garnered a rep as being a flake, but does anyone think that Julian Wright will get a 10 day contract soon? His numbers at Austin look OK.

Gino2882
03-23-2012, 11:35 AM
If you want to ":stirpot:", you can believe that Pop's thinking is the best way to win today and tomorrow is to use Duncan against the Mavs and a rested Splitter against the Hornets. It makes pretty good sense.

But the problem with that is Pop isn't one to invent injuries for no reason. If he wanted to rest Splitter, he'd just say Splitter isn't playing tonight.

Pop has taken some criticism recently for simply "resting" players. Maybe they have decided to attach injury labels for the purpose of resting players. Although I agree, Pop would most likely just say he isn't playing.

Spur|n|Austin
03-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Gonna need big games out of Jack, Leonard, Green, and Manu tonight.

What about Neal?

VBM
03-23-2012, 11:40 AM
It's a regular season game...at home. The conditions are right for a solid night for Bonner.

Cant_Be_Faded
This is horse crap. We will be lucky to have a five man rotation come playoff time

widowmaker
Considering that most of these injuries are of the hamstring kind, it makes you wonder how the coaching staff is preparing the guys for games. Im sure stretching is not important to them with so many hamstring injuries.

Hoops Czar
03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Sucks about Bonner being probable.

No it doesn't. Who would you rather see, Dawson or Bonner on the court and neither is not an option. Personally, Dawson isn't that good and has very little experience so it shouldn't be a difficult choice.

Mugen
03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
No it doesn't. Who would you rather see, Dawson or Bonner on the court and neither is not an option. Personally, Dawson isn't that good and has very little experience so it shouldn't be a difficult choice.

Tough decision, tbh.

spurs10
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Jeez Louise!

antarescrane
Not hard to expect what you will get out of bonner, but dawson might have a good game and change some people's minds...who knows

Libri
Back spasms is worrisome.

widowmaker
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
That's an L tonight. It might not even be a game lol

Spur|n|Austin
03-23-2012, 11:48 AM
That's an L tonight. It might not even be a game lol

:rolleyes

Keepin' it real
03-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Back spasms is worrisome.

Why? Bonner had back spasms and only missed one game.

widowmaker
03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
:rolleyes

Yeah that sux but for real without tony and splitter is not suppose to play what can anybody realistically expect? :bang

timtonymanu
03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah that sux but for real without tony and splitter is not suppose to play what can anybody realistically expect? :bang

We have enough depth to make it a game. It's just going to be very difficult. Not a guaranteed win but not a guaranteed loss either.

loveforthegame
We've beaten the Mavs short handed before.

It sucks with no Parker or Splitter but hopefully other guys step up.

DAF86
Might as well rest Tim and Manu tonight too.. don't want them getting hurt.

Agreed.

Libri
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Why? Bonner had back spasms and only missed one game.

Anything relating to the back is reason to worry. Remember David Robinson.

DPG21920
03-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Hopefully "back spasms" is just code for Pop giving a player a night off. Otherwise, Splitter's injury-prone ways are already getting pretty annoying.

Crofl what? How many games has Tiago missed? Manu?

DBMethos
03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
It appears the plan is to get all of the injuries out of the way in the regular season so that we're 100% for the entirety of the playoffs. I like it. :tu

widowmaker
03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
We have enough depth to make it a game. It's just going to be very difficult. Not a guaranteed win but not a guaranteed loss either.

Based on what I saw from the last game against Dallas I don't feel very confidant about a win. Yes it was a back to back but it just seemed like Dallas was more motivated to win.

DAF86
03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Perfect excuse to throw this game away and play tomorrow and the day after as a simple B2B.

Old School 44
03-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Maybe on the road, but it's probably a little different playing at home and against one of our top rivals.

Has Pop ever DNP-Coaches Decision one of the big three at home with no reported injury?

Mel_13
03-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Maybe on the road, but it's probably a little different playing at home and against one of our top rivals.

Has Pop ever DNP-Coaches Decision one of the big three at home with no reported injury?

Only one came to mind:

http://www.nba.com/games/20110319/CHASAS/gameinfo.html

DisAsTerBot
03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Crofl what? How many games has Tiago missed? Manu?

touche

but i think we're all annoyed with manu's injuries over the years

DrSteffo
03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
This sucks.

antarescrane
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Not too worried. I am a lot more worried about jason kidd going off than these injuries. No idea how we got torched by him last time.

Russ
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Trying to make Diaw feel needed (in terms of playing time)?

03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Trying to make Diaw feel needed (in terms of playing time)?
it does not bode well if pop is sacrificing tiago's minutes for diaw.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Dawson, at least he'll play like he has something to prove.

Bonner is an awful awful player. Dawson probably isn't much better, but Bonner chokes time and time again. Bonner only plays well against sub .500 teams. Against the Mavs I'd rather mix it up and give Dawson some extra PT.

timvp
03-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Parker's absence will probably most be felt on the defensive end of the court. In the last 11 games, opponents are scoring 108.1 points per 48 minutes when Parker isn't on the court. When he's been on the court, they're only scoring 96.5 points.

108.1 points? R.I.P. Spurs defense.

When Tony Parker is your defensive anchor, something has gone horribly wrong, tbh. Great player. Underrated defender. But got damn. :smchode:

Horse
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Seeing that Jax has beaten dallas by himself in the past I think we'll be alright.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I have to force back the vomit every time im reminded of how this team has been designed to suck on defense for years now

timvp
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Parker's absence will probably most be felt on the defensive end of the court. In the last 11 games, opponents are scoring 108.1 points per 48 minutes when Parker isn't on the court. When he's been on the court, they're only scoring 96.5 points.

And if we really wanted to work the numbers, we could go back and look at the last 12 games, which would add that Blazers forfeit game. Adding that one to the equation raises the opponents scoring to 113.7 points per 48 minutes when Parker hasn't been in the game.

I know that partially has to do with garbage time but that's ridiculously high no matter what.

DAF86
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Seeing that Jax has beaten dallas by himself in the past I think we'll be alright.

GNSF seal of approval.

Bruno
03-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Aside of Parker, Spurs have no one to defend on quick PG. Mills should help in that area. I can see Pop going with him over Neal when Neal is too slow to defend the opposite PG.

Hooks
03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
At least the spurs have jax and leonard who can both guard dirk. Sjax ability to play the small ball 4 and not get absolutely raped like rj is great. Pretty sure Bonner will play and Manu will play a lot of pg.

crc21209
03-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Well fuck. This really sucks, because of these next 3 games, tonight and tomorrow are the most important since they're division games. We're gonna need big games out of Timmy, Manu, Jack, Leonard, and Green to pull this one off. And Diaw would also help.....

dylankerouac
03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Parker has his lowest FG% against the Mavs, of all teams in the NBA right now.

That's interesting and not good if we face them in the playoffs. I think former Longhorn Royal Ivey did a real good job against Parker last time Spurs played the Thunder but now they have Fisher to close out games too and I'm not sure Thunder would close with Westbrook, Fisher and Ivey, they might be too small.

Still, I hope there are some Western Playoff teams that we could face that Parker would be effective against. Sad face if teams we face shut Parker down in the playoffs.

timvp
03-23-2012, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in TP's struggles against the Mavs being anything more than just a fluke, especially since Parker destroyed the eventual champion* Mavs last season.

Cane
03-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Parker should still be able to abuse the Mavs, but to the blue ponies credit they have made adjustments and will be playing Roddy more and no longer rely on crap bigs like Erica. The Jasons stand no chance vs Parker and Ian will look like a fool trying to block his shots :flag:

silverblk mystix
03-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Seriously?

Dawson, no question. Bonner is the Spurs cancer.

Brazil
03-23-2012, 01:49 PM

108.1 points? R.I.P. Spurs defense.

When Tony Parker is your defensive anchor, something has gone horribly wrong, tbh. Great player. Underrated defender. But got damn. :smchode:

TP defensive anchor... :lol I know some fans that are going to :smchode:

fkla, cane, timdpoymvp (whatever), tjastal, portnoy....

sehui
03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Stephen Jackson GOAT

We'll be fine :P

Nathan89
03-23-2012, 03:45 PM
The defense with and without Parker can be the result of many factors. Some of this could be garbage time, Neal shooting earlier in the shot clock, more long distance shots that bounce off the rim further, less scoring which prevents the opposing team from passing the ball in, more turnovers,etc...

That being said they still get score those points as a result of Parker not being on the court. The cause isn't necessarily the drop-off in defense.

tmtcsc
03-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Duncan, Blair, and Dawson as the only bigs. Yuck!

I don't see how we win this without Tony. Small ball is no brainer today. Gonna need big games out of Jack, Leonard, Green, and Manu tonight.

Because Dallas sucks. They are garbage. Can they win big games occasionally ? Sure.

Make no mistake though, they SUCK. I have no fear of the Spurs facing Dallas in the playoffs. Yep, lots of suckage.

Fuk you Rings Dallas.

Spursmania
03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Unbelievable. I am going to the game and was really looking forward to it. With no Parker and Tiago are chances just got slimmer. :bang

TD 21
03-23-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't get this coach. He needs to accept that, no matter how cautious they are, they're not going to be fully healthy come playoff time. Enough of sitting out guys every time they get a paper cut. I don't want to hear this nonsense about "it could get worse". You don't think the rest of the league isn't getting these types of "injuries"? Of course they are. But you don't see them constantly sitting guys out with something that barely qualifies as minor.

All this does is make the road to locking down the second seed more difficult. And it's already going to be difficult enough, considering how compressed their schedule is from here on out. Despite the recent struggles of the Mavs and Clippers, there's a clear cut division in the West. There's six teams capable of advancing (Thunder, Spurs, Lakers, Grizzlies, being the others) and then there's the rest that are merely first round fodder. So the difference between finishing second and third, or fourth, etc., is more significant than it may appear to be, given the standings.

As far as Splitter, he's just like Ginobili, in that he can't be counted on. Something happens to him every few weeks, which is a bad sign for their championship hopes. The difference is, Ginobili, they could conceivably do without out now, at least for a while. Splitter, they can't.

angelbelow
03-23-2012, 05:24 PM

Splitter's being injury prone is probably annoying to you because everyone on our entire team is seemingly injury prone.

ElNono
03-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Neither, tbh

TheSkeptic
03-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Seriously?

Dawson, no question. Bonner is the Spurs cancer.

You need to post more often. Your tone is just so bitter it makes me laugh every time.:lol It's like you're a person of a mature age who has lived a long time and seen a lot of things and become kind of jaded over the years. I like that. No sarcasm. :toast

As for Tiago and Tony, this sucks but I'd rather they sit out now than later. At this stage we know they can beat the Mavericks with a bit of work but teams like the Lakers are an unknown imo and we'll need them both for that. Tony's never out all that long and Tiago should be back soon anyway.

On a side note, while he's not nearly as durable as Tim, according to Nba.com Splitter's played 41 games. The Spurs have played what 44 going on 45? It seems like a lot of bigs miss maybe 5-10 games in a season so the time he's spent injured hasn't been all that outrageous to me. We're too used to Duncan, Bonner, and Blair's remarkable health imo.

therealtruth
03-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I don't get this coach. He needs to accept that, no matter how cautious they are, they're not going to be fully healthy come playoff time. Enough of sitting out guys every time they get a paper cut. I don't want to hear this nonsense about "it could get worse". You don't think the rest of the league isn't getting these types of "injuries"? Of course they are. But you don't see them constantly sitting guys out with something that barely qualifies as minor.

All this does is make the road to locking down the second seed more difficult. And it's already going to be difficult enough, considering how compressed their schedule is from here on out. Despite the recent struggles of the Mavs and Clippers, there's a clear cut division in the West. There's six teams capable of advancing (Thunder, Spurs, Lakers, Grizzlies, being the others) and then there's the rest that are merely first round fodder. So the difference between finishing second and third, or fourth, etc., is more significant than it may appear to be, given the standings.

As far as Splitter, he's just like Ginobili, in that he can't be counted on. Something happens to him every few weeks, which is a bad sign for their championship hopes. The difference is, Ginobili, they could conceivably do without out now, at least for a while. Splitter, they can't.

I don't care about seeding and standing as much as team chemistry and rhythm. Remember last season we had the best record but getting to the playoffs our chemistry and rhythm were off.

Budkin
03-23-2012, 05:59 PM
JAX is going to torch the Mavs tonight... book it.

roycrikside
03-23-2012, 07:10 PM

You realize Ginobili played more games the past two seasons than Duncan or Parker, right? :rolleyes

Hoops Czar
03-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Neither, tbh

I'd rather see neither too. But when push comes to shove, I would rather see a wiley veteran do the one thing he's capable of doing, spreading the floor and hitting open jumpers as opposed to watching a greenhorn learning basketball on the fly.